Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
TiBike Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I'm trying to decide between these two calibers. Would like it to be a reasonable light rifle for high country mule deer although it would be pressed into service with whitetails as well. AND, it might well be used by an aspiring teenage hunter as well. For discussion sake, I already have a 7mm Rem mag.

I'm thinking about possibly going with a 20" barrel (Howa Ranchland) to save size and weight. If I think the stock is too heavy, might switch to a lighter one but I kinda like the feel of their overmolded stock. Or maybe I'll consider a Tikka Lite Stainless (22" barrel). Is there a downside to a 20" barrel? I have heard a few comments that the 25-06 gets pretty loud with the short tube. How about ballistics? I've also heard that the 25-06 needs a longer barrel to take advantage of all that powder behind it. I'm no ballistics expert so hoping someone here can give some input

Regarding these two calibers, could either be a responsible consideration for elk? Are they both more than adequate for a rutting mule deer buck? Any other thoughts that would sway my decision? I've thought about the 270 but concerned that it might be a bit much for a young shooter and start to overlap my 7mm Rem Mag.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Short answer.....the Tikka in 7-08.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
There is a dude on another forum that loves to post about the virtues of the 7-08. And he has several pics of elk and deer dropped out to considerable ranges (500+ yards). Anyway, of the two you listed, I would definitely go with the 7-08.

I don't think a 25-06 would be well suited for a 20" barrel. Maybe a 22", but I think 24" is appropriate. The 25-06 is however an excellent cartridge.

The downside of a 20" barrel is going to be noise. Especially if you have a young hunter who might forget hearing protection, the noise will cause more permanent damage then one with a longer barrel.

Last edited by NWBlacktail; 12/17/16.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have both and like each differently. I would not hesitate to shoot an elk with either at respectable ranges. However, with what you propose with the shorter barrel, the 7mm-08 is the better choice. A 25-06 will be loud and not as efficient with a 20 inch barrel. Stoke the 7mm-08 with a decent bullet and hunt in confidence.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Allow me to be the first: .270 WCF, in a Tikka if you absolutely must.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A 25-06 won't do anything a 243 won't do as just well. A 7-08 will do everything the 7mm mag will do, just at slightly reduced ranges.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
7-08 or 270 in a Tikka. You won't notice much difference.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Between those two choices, a 7/08.

I'd like the heavier 7mm bullets over the 25's for just about anything from rutting mule deer to the elk.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by aalf

This ^. I am a 25/06 fan but with the barrel length you want, this is the way to go.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Howa Ranchland is only made on a short action and therefore isn't available in .25-06. Problem solved.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like my 25-06's! But to answer your question.

7mm-08.

As an added benefit, you already have 7mm bullets, correct?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by NWBlacktail
There is a dude on another forum that loves to post about the virtues of the 7-08. And he has several pics of elk and deer dropped out to considerable ranges (500+ yards). Anyway, of the two you listed, I would definitely go with the 7-08.

I don't think a 25-06 would be well suited for a 20" barrel. Maybe a 22", but I think 24" is appropriate. The 25-06 is however an excellent cartridge.

The downside of a 20" barrel is going to be noise. Especially if you have a young hunter who might forget hearing protection, the noise will cause more permanent damage then one with a longer barrel.

I'm that dude.

So far, three bulls with three shots. Farthest was 346 yards, biggest was 225 yards.

One antelope, one shot.

Buncha deer, one shot each. Farthest was 541 yards.

140 Partitions, except for the biggest bull, that was a 140 AB. 2873 fps for the Partitions, 2850 fps for the AB.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by aalf

This. The rifle will kill out to the point where velocity slows below the design minimum for the bullet -- and maybe then some.

If a 20 inch tube is a must, the 25-06 is wasted on noise.

The only reason I can see for a 7 Mag (not the OPs question, I know) is in a rifle twisted to support the 180 Bergers. That will push the capability envelope out past the 7mm 08.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm trying to decide between the two as well...except for myself. I currently use a 25-06 ands it my do everything from coyotes up to elk/moose. My wife shoots a 7-08 and I'm kinda growing fond of it. So I was thinking of changing over to it as well....BUT

I don't see any factory varmit type stuff for it, which is available for the 25-06. I don't reload....anyone use it for coyotes?

Rob
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I used a 25-06 for over thirty years and harvested tons of Deer with it. Loved it but I am now shooting a 7-08 and love it even more. Both are great cartridges but with the 20 inch bbl, go with the 7-08. My Daughter has a Tikka compact in 7-08 and besides the Deer she has taken with it it will shoot under and inch group with what ever you put in it.

T
TiBike Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Well the 7-08 is coming out on top (and kinda the direction I was leaning anyway). Now I just have to decide about 20 or 22" barrel. The Howa Ranchaland with the 20" barrel sure felt quite balanced in my hand but that was without a scope.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'll repeat. There is no 20" barreled Howa .25-06.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TiBike
Well the 7-08 is coming out on top (and kinda the direction I was leaning anyway). Now I just have to decide about 20 or 22" barrel. The Howa Ranchaland with the 20" barrel sure felt quite balanced in my hand but that was without a scope.

There's a stainless Tikka in the classifieds. Mine does this with handloads.

[Linked Image]

My Superlite does this with the same load.

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There's likely less than 2 ounces difference between the two lengths, so balance won't be skewered one way or the other.

T
TiBike Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Darn it. the one in the classifieds just sold.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Tikka - hands down.

The Howa Ranchland with the thin 20" barrel will not feel as balanced when it has a scope on it. The Tikka with the slightly longer barrel, and slightly heavier, barrel will have a better balance with a scope on it.

Another consideration, while Howa's group ok I have never seen an out of the box Howa group as well as out of the box Tikka.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

T
TiBike Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Drover, what do you think about the regular Howa 1500? Notwithstanding your thoughts on the Tikka's grouping. FWIW I am leaning toward the Tikka. Very clean lines. Everything seems to work well. Only thing that rubs me funny is the removable magazine. Seems like a problem waiting to happen. Maybe I'm wrong though.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Howa is a heavy rifle, no way around it - there is a lot of weight in their receivers, add in a standard contour barrel and the weight jumps quickly. I cannot remember the exact weight but I had a Howa 1500 with the synthetic stock and with a Leupold 3-9 on it and if I recall correctly it was over 8 lbs. A Tikka set up the same way is nearer 7 lbs and much better balanced.

As far as the removable magazine I have never had a problem and cannot recall reading about any problems with them on here except for the occasional complaint about the 223 mags being a bit short with the heavy for caliber bullets .

Something else to think about - Howa rifles seem to fall into the category of "good hunting accuracy" which is not a bad thing, but take a look at the groups posted on the 'fire that Tikka's shoot.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

T
TiBike Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Drover, I'm with you. The Tikka certainly seemed like a bit more refined rifle. And for a couple of hundred dollars over the life of the rifle, seems worth it in spades.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I expect that you will be happy with a Tikka.

As far as caliber - my recommendation would be the 7/08. I bought one when it was first introduced in the 80's and have never found a reason to have any second thoughts about the decision. I have shot a few 25-06 rifles but have never warmed up to them, they seemed to have more recoil and muzzle blast than I like and IMO are not as versatile as the 7/08.

If you have a Sportsmans Warehouse near you they have had the original T-3's on sale, if you have a FFL that will receive for you Whittaker Guns has excellent service and has been having a sale on them also. Europtics has them on sale too but I have never dealt with them but their prices look good.

drover

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can get a brand spanking new Tikka T3X Lite Stainless from Whittakers for $620 minus shipping. Absolutely can't be beat and you will not deal with better folks.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
7mm08 with the 20" and Id go Tikka or a model 7.

Originally Posted by harv3589
I'm trying to decide between the two as well...except for myself. I currently use a 25-06 ands it my do everything from coyotes up to elk/moose. My wife shoots a 7-08 and I'm kinda growing fond of it. So I was thinking of changing over to it as well....BUT

I don't see any factory varmit type stuff for it, which is available for the 25-06. I don't reload....anyone use it for coyotes?

You saving pelts ?? Cheapo PPU kills em just as dead if ya arent. No need for a varmit round

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rmart30

You saving pelts ?? Cheapo PPU kills em just as dead if ya arent. No need for a varmit round

Nope I don't save them, just want a good all round rifle. I kind of like the shorter package the 7-08 finnlight is....

Rob
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Rmart30

Nope I don't save them, just want a good all round rifle. I kind of like the shorter package the 7-08 finnlight is....

Then I wouldnt worry about finding varmit rounds in either caliber. PPU is my "off season" ammo because its cheap and Im not saving pelts either so large exit wounds dont bother me. Cant tell ya how many varmits ive taken using it. Kills em just as dead as the higher cost varmit rounds.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Barnes, Federal, Hornady and Nosler all load a 120g factory load that should be awesome on varmints.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
120 BT in a stainless T3

[Linked Image]

Same load in a Superlite. Had a good group going until I pulled the one on the right.

[Linked Image]

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The 7-08 is the absolute perfect cartridge for deer. The Tikka is great but a minor gripe is that it doesn't have a true short action.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The 7-08 is the absolute perfect cartridge for deer. ......

In the wake of easily duplicated ballistics from many other offerings, these statements of perfection above all others, are amusing and not to be taken seriously. smile

The 7/08 is nothing more than a picket in a fence of cartridge performance. That's all.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

In the wake of easily duplicated ballistics from many other offerings, these statements of perfection above all others, are amusing and not to be taken seriously. smile

The 7/08 is nothing more than a picket in a fence of cartridge performance. That's all.

You hit the nail on the head. You've probably built more picket fences than you care to admit too Bob...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: Yes I have....which is why I find damned little "perfection" in anything.

People get delusional about rifle cartridges.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/19/16.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
High country mule deer = Creed Kimber Montana

Somebody had to say it. (grin)

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I know I'm the semi-new (was on the fire a few years ago but couldn't even remember my name user name on here...lol), but as I enjoy reading all the replies on threads like these, I can't help but say that Mr. Bob is dead on. Pieces of paper with great groups are pleasing to the eye. Ballistic charts are interesting to look at. Most of us have our favorite rifle based on many different things. But the "perfect" caliber exists only in the mind of each of us. If it was an objective choice, every deer hunter who pursued the perfect caliber/rifle combination would use the same caliber in "X" rifle. In the end, most of us go by experience and personal likes and dislikes.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

Nevertheless, it is dead solid perfect in the middle of that picket fence regardless of what any snarky Yankee might say about it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 7-08 is the absolute perfect cartridge for deer. The Tikka is great but a minor gripe is that it doesn't have a true short action.

Not bad for elk, either.

I hear the gripe about short action and it puzzles me. What's the difference? Half an inch? Who cares?

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Nevertheless, it is dead solid perfect in the middle of that picket fence regardless of what any snarky Yankee might say about it.

Bet I was using a 7/08 before you were in diapers......I know I was using one before you developed an IQ......

So where precisely does it sit in the lineup? Would that be the lineup of SA standard cartridges, short fat belted cartridge, standard cartridges? belted small bore magnum cartridges?

What would be to the right and left of it in that picket fence?

What a joke. You guys sure do get all wound up over brass bottles that hold powder don't you? grin

Like I said....people get delusional. And emotional LOL!

Especially [bleep] from the South.Would that be Tex- ass? Huh?

Notice how you immediately attacked me personally because i think your favorite cartridge is absolutely nothing to get excited about? That burns your ass because you know Im right doesn't it?

I suspect you don't have enough experience with anything to comment.... but if you do suppose you tell us the difference between the 7/08 and the 280, 284, 270, 7x57. 6.5x55,6.5 Creed, 7 Rem Mag and a few others in terms of ow they kill animals?

C'mon ....tell me? I'm all ears.

You can't and you know it. What a joke.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

Bet I was using a 7/08 before you were in diapers......I know I was using one before you developed an IQ......

So where precisely does it sit in the lineup? Would that be the lineup of SA standard cartridges, short fat belted cartridge, standard cartridges? belted small bore magnum cartridges?

What would be to the right and left of it in that picket fence?

What a joke. You guys sure do get all wound up over brass bottles that hold powder don't you? grin

Like I said....people get delusional. And emotional LOL!

Especially [bleep] from the South.Would that be Tex- ass? Huh?

Notice how you immediately attacked me personally because i think your favorite cartridge is absolutely nothing to get excited about? That burns your ass because you know Im right doesn't it?

I suspect you don't have enough experience with anything to comment.... but if you do suppose you tell us the difference between the 7/08 and the 280, 284, 270, 7x57. 6.5x55,6.5 Creed, 7 Rem Mag and a few others in terms of ow they kill animals?

C'mon ....tell me? I'm all ears.

You can't and you know it. What a joke.

You're the one who basically calls someone a dumbass for merely expressing an opinion. And my opinion, which is undoubtedly more worthwhile than any you might express on practically any subject is that as a balance of performance, recoil, action length, and typical rifle weight and length, the 7-08 is damned near perfect. That doesn't mean that any there aren't lots of others that work really well, or even better, one being perfect doesn't mean another isn't either. For instance, just because Larry Bird was great, doesn't mean that MJ was not great too.

So take your snarky Yankee ass and STFU.

Last edited by JoeBob; 12/19/16.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
ANY headstamp can be fed wrong and spun wrong.
Inside 100yds most will never know it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob, true story...

When I was 13-16 years old I remember reading the cartridge trajectory charts in the annual Peterson's and Rifle Shooter(?) magazines.

I had it all figured out...grin

The 22-250 was the flattest and I already had one so a 7-08 was next best.

Local store didn't have one so I placed a WTB ad in the paper.

Old farmer called up and had a 788 that he'd sell. But of course in the mean time I had my eye on a fancy new 25-06 M70 Winlite.

Bought it and STUPIDLY traded it in a couple years a later on 300 Win mag.

Still wish I would have bought that 7-08.

T
TiBike Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Well, thanks to everyone for their thoughts. Plunked the money down on a Tikka T3x stainless lite in 7mm-08. Now to keep an eye out for some quality glass on after Christmas sale!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good choice IMO.

drover

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, thanks to everyone for their thoughts. Plunked the money down on a Tikka T3x stainless lite in 7mm-08. Now to keep an eye out for some quality glass on after Christmas sale!

Sorry if it's been asked before, but do you reload?

And what's you budget on glass?

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

That's pretty funny right there.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

P

You do like wise. Like I figured, you can't answer the question,which proves my point. Another stooge.

I learned a long time ago never trust, or listen much, to anyone with two first names. It shows they couldn't make up their minds about anything as simple as choosing a first name ......It's a southern "thing" LOL!

You and Pharmseller can do your mutual admiration circle jerk,and play rope a dope while you're both figuring this stuff out.He comes up with some of the dumbest threads I ever read.Mystified by a 160 AB that drops one MOA more than the tables said...now what could cause that?

Hilarious......keep reading those ballistic tables and looking for "advice". LOL!

You boys got a long ways to go. smirk

BTW moron.....you made it personal because i don't see anything special about a 7/08. Got your panties in a wad. What a child...grow up.

that goes for PS as well. idiots.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/20/16.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

P

You do like wise. Like I figured, you can't answer the question,which proves my point. Another stooge.

I learned a long time ago never trust, or listen much, to anyone with two first names. It shows they couldn't make up their minds about anything as simple as choosing a first name ......It's a southern "thing" LOL!

You and Pharmseller can do your mutual admiration circle jerk,and play rope a dope while you're both figuring this stuff out.He comes up with some of the dumbest threads I ever read.Mystified by a 160 AB that drops one MOA more than the tables said...now what could cause that?

Hilarious......keep reading those ballistic tables and looking for "advice". LOL!

You boys got a long ways to go. smirk

BTW moron.....you made it personal because i don't see anything special about a 7/08. Got your panties in a wad. What a child...grow up.

that goes for PS as well. idiots.

You need to get over yourself. Your word is not the end all be all on any subject. I have no problem with you being wrong. It's America, you are free to disagree with me and be wrong all you want. But I do expect that even the other Yankees in your AO think you are an assshole.

Last edited by JoeBob; 12/20/16.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't know if he's an a-hole, I just thought the "Yankee ass" comment was funny. He is a mite touchy, though.

And no offense, JoeBob, I don't admire you. I don't know you.

BobinNH should wait until he knows me better to insult me. Then he could do it properly.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

BobinNH should wait until he knows me better to insult me. Then he could do it properly.

OK, that right there is funny!

Thanks.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Why the hostility Bob?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A .270 Win or .280 Rem is your huckleberry. Mildish recoil, plenty of power out to 500 yards.

Ruger .280 Rem for $499. Have one and love it.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/280-hm77rp-22-syn.html?___SID=U

Got one of these .30-06 rifles for $499 for a future son-in-law. Love it too. 20" barrel.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/30-06-hm77rlfp-20-syn-ultra.html

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't know if he's an a-hole, I just thought the "Yankee ass" comment was funny. He is a mite touchy, though.

And no offense, JoeBob, I don't admire you. I don't know you.

P

That's okay. Only the weak seek the admiration of others.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cheer up Bob. There are shytloads of dickheads on here but it's almost Christmas man ! God I do hate the 7mm-08 though. No good reason why but I never could stomach the dumpy little thing.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Must agree with Blackheart..

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just get a 270 Win

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
That is what Bob would have said..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
A .270 Win or .280 Rem is your huckleberry. Mildish recoil, plenty of power out to 500 yards.

Got one of these .30-06 rifles for $499 for a future son-in-law. Love it too. 20" barrel.

When did the OP ask about 280s and 30-06s?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You considered that snarky? sleep
What a joke.

Anyway, I like the 7mm-08 more than a little, but somehow get by with a bunch of different choices. All used in the same covers. .223AI, .22-250, 7mm-08, .280AI, .300Sav, .338Fed, .30-06, .300WM.

And could have made others work just as well.

The perfect Deer rifle is akin to the perfect women. Or man if you happen to be a huntress.

Wait, you said absolute perfect. Is it absolute with 120's, 140's, 150's, 175's? Is it absolute in a LW, middle weight, heavy weight? I like my women kinda middle weight, but could be content with a light heavy if she can get around and makes me laugh.

Am I being snarky?

Last edited by battue; 12/20/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by battue

You considered that snarky? sleep
What a joke.

Anyway, I like the 7mm-08 more than a little, but somehow get by with a bunch of different choices. All used in the same covers. .223AI, .22-250, 7mm-08, .280AI, .300Sav, .338Fed, .30-06, .300WM.

And could have made others work just as well.

The perfect Deer rifle is akin to the perfect women. Or man if you happen to be a huntress.

Wait, you said absolute perfect. Is it absolute with 120's, 140's, 150's, 175's?

Am I being snarky?

You consider "snarky" to be pejorative enough to warrant much reaction? But then again, you are clearly a godless Yankee. I had to choose the "most" perfect bullet of all of the otherwise perfect bullets in the bestest little whitetail cartridge on earth, I'm most partial to the 154 grain Interlock, which is of course, a purely handloading affair. That said, there are no flies on the 139 grain pill.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
God loves us all. Even you'll Rebs.

I like the 140 Barnes myself. Grabs them by the horns, or pussy during Doe time.

And have a wonderful Yankee Doodle Christmas. Feliz Navaida and all that.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I will and you too.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
😉

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm starting to get that warm fuzzy feeling and can almost hear the angels singing Kumbaya...lol. Hope everyone is having a blessed night.

Eddie

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good lord. This is whole yankee/reb thing is weird. Glad I am from a state that didn't exist until after the war between the states. Or the war of northern aggression. Or whatever else it is.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I started using the cartridge (7/08) about when it was introduced. Before and after that I killed deer (and other stuff) with the 7x57,7/08.280 Remington,270 Winchester and a bevy of 7mm magnums. I only got to watch what a couple of friends did with the 284 because I knew the load workup but never owned one.

All of them do anything a 7/08 does and none of them do less,velocity wise, with any bullet, so where this "perfect middle" crap comes from I have no idea (?). It sits on the lower end of 7mm cartridge performance. I am skeptical of any claims of "perfection" with so much duplicitous performance levels.

Most of this was with 140,150, and 160 gr bullets gr bullets of various makes and styles.

The difference was that the higher velocity cartridges shot flatter,and at distance killed very quickly, expanded their bullets further away but the smaller 7mm's were efficient if unspectacular. They all killed.The biggest difference between them was "bullets". I never saw anything to get excited about and still don't. It's the best thing they ever did with a 308 case but that's the best I can say about it while I stifle a yawn.

I liked the 7/08 but this notion of it occupying some theoretical "perfect middle" is perfectly subjective. I'd nominate the 280 in a heartbeat over any 7/08 or 25/06,neither of which would make any list of mine in a Top Ten all round BG cartridge....(I don;t care who uses them for what).

Anyone is free to disagree on the 280 thing as well,but these notions of "perfection"are the product of active imaginations. You'll pardon me while a stifle a snarky yawn in the face of all this "wisdom"....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Layne Simpson said it was the perfect Whitetail cartridge and considered it the .30-30 for South. I mean wouldn't it work fine up here also? What couldn't we work a bolt? I always thought that was a snarky, if not out and out BS. Then Kenny J started bribing him with grits and the .280AI became the bell of the South.

Carmichael said the .280Rem was were it was at with the 7's. WTH did he know?

Pass the .308W if this Yankee just had to pick one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

When did the OP ask about 280s and 30-06s?

Well, he did put "Or??" in the title.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Carmichael said the .280Rem was were it was at with the 7's. WTH did he know?

Carmichael jumped on the 280 bandwagon because he followed O'Connor and there was really no where else to go. It would not have been PC for Carmichael to use a 270; he needed his own cartridge.

Carmichael could have used anything similar with the same worldwide results because he could shoot...but he mostly use a 140 Nosler Partition at just under 3100 fps as I recall.The rifle was a Clayton Nelson M70 custom.

As a general purpose 7mm for BG hunting Im grabbing a 280 Remington a LONG time before any short action 7mm.

Here's one of mine from a by gone era,a custom Mauser by Kevin Campbell purchased from George Caswell, and that I sold years ago; but not before I hunted it East and West for 4-5 years.

I burned out the original barrel and George replaced it with a Douglas.

Had not seen the rifle in years. It was common back then for snarky Yankees to buy airline tickets to hunt far places and get their experience shooting rifles and hunting, instead of reading about it on the Internet.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...arna-mauser-280-rem.cfm?gun_id=100656909

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
I'm starting to get that warm fuzzy feeling and can almost hear the angels singing Kumbaya...lol. Hope everyone is having a blessed night.

Eddie

Kumbaya????

When the Angels want warm and fuzzy, the Northern Angels sing Battle hymn of the Republic. Southern, Dixie.

Kumbaya is really weird.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You'all could do what I'm doing. Building a 7X57! It's in between the 7-08 and .280 and it's going in a "Short" action M-70! That should ruffle some feathers. laugh grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed schit with both, and can tell you WITHOUT A DOUBT, the 7mm Rem Mag is the better choice. If you don't agree you're a POS inbred or a snotnosed yank.

Tanner

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Teeder
You'all could do what I'm doing. Building a 7X57! It's in between the 7-08 and .280 and it's going in a "Short" action M-70! That should ruffle some feathers. laugh grin

"Y'all "can do what you want....BTDT,too.

I agree with Tanner. But then he's smarter than the average do-do on here and has the experience .

After screwing with all those subordinate 7mm's, I'll take a 7 Rem Mag any day.

I hear they are hard to shoot due to excess recoil but a 30/06 is not......which I frankly find to be more Internet myth. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm a potato eating Irishman, and highly offended that I would have to choose either of those two choices. Bugger off laddie....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good grief. We're the one's with -25*F weather. Not sure how anyone gets their panties wadded over the shape of a little brass cylinder. The world has many such cylinders, all "about perfect" for little whitetail deer.

Will say, Bob despises one of my favorites, the 308 Win, but I don't take it personally. He's my friend, even though he's completely ignorant. grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At least the M70 will not have the bolt handle fall off, or the extractor break, or the trigger malfunction. Of course you will absolutely have to weld the bolt handle so it does not spin. Oh, you have to use the same barrel and stock as everyone else, and powder, and bullets. Damn, you will need a semi to haul this [bleep].

Of course, then there are the Bubba's we make fun of. Some of them, with factory stock rifles, factory ammo, see through mounted blister pack scopes, kill an awful lot of game. And, not all from the road.

But then I am just passing thru life, learning as I go, Looking down at no man, looking down at my feet for no man. smile

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Good grief. We're the one's with -25*F weather. Not sure how anyone gets their panties wadded over the shape of a little brass cylinder. The world has many such cylinders, all "about perfect" for little whitetail deer.

Will say, Bob despises one of my favorites, the 308 Win, but I don't take it personally. He's my friend, even though he's completely ignorant. grin

Laffin'!

Brad what can you expect from a Snarkey Yankee!?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Laffin'!

I prefer "cantankerous". grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Of course, then there are the Bubba's we make fun of. Some of them, with factory stock rifles, factory ammo, see through mounted blister pack scopes, kill an awful lot of game. And, not all from the road.

Southern Bubba's are most often into the good chit and willing to pay for it. Northern Bubba's not so much. Give credit were it's due.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"Cantankerously big 7 prejudice?" grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

True. Takes one to know one grin

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anybody who shoots stuff with a belt at white tails, is like the 50 year old dude with the new Corvette. He is compensating for something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BobinNH may be a snarkey Yankee but he has fine taste in rifles. grin

All he needs now is a sticker on the buttstock, a rattle can paint job and toss them in the creek next to a fish and he will be the gun god. laugh

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by irfubar
All he needs now is a sticker on the buttstock, a rattle can paint job and toss them in the creek next to a fish and he will be the gun god. laugh

I got the sticker part covered... pure macho death.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Anybody who shoots stuff with a belt at white tails, is like the 50 year old dude with the new Corvette. He is compensating for something.

Hey, stop that. I'm 72 and on the 6th Vette. Started in my 20's and not compensating for anything. I don't think, then again, na....

And I have been known to use a 7mm-08. Hmmmm....

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Unless you're shooting at deer a long ways away, there's really very little difference in any of the 6mm-7mm range options.

Some like a little longer action and a little higher velocity with medium to heavier bullets.

Others like a shorter action and are happy shooting medium to lighter bullets.

Viva la difference!

Bob will never change my mind and I won't ever change his but we can agree to disagree, like gentlemen should - even though I'm right!

Last edited by bludog; 12/20/16.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

As is someone that feels the need to point that out...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

At my age, the only thing I am compensating for is the depth of the water in the toilet bowl. I have to be a lot more careful to keep the jewels dry than I did twenty years ago.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cred is where it's at today boys. All you have to do is read. Shooting not required to be an expert.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

LMAO grin

BloeJob you just keep digging yourself a deeper hole...it's already apparent you don't know much of anything.

There's people posting here who have likely passed more big deer than you've ever seen....smart guys.

Like I said....people with two first names.....Encephalitic morons

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

LMAO grin

BloeJob you just keep digging yourself a deeper hole...it's already apparent you don't know much of anything.

There's people posting here who have likely passed more big deer than you've ever seen....smart guys.

You're the one who feels the need to point out over and over that cartridges with more powder will outperform those with less.

But like I said, you're compensating. Keep blasting those puppies with the big schit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Well played Brad.
Now put on your big boy pants and rattle can that puppy! laugh

Then toss it in the yellowstone river and you too can be a gun god. whistle

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It was common back then for snarky Yankees to buy airline tickets to hunt far places and get their experience shooting rifles and hunting, instead of reading about it on the Internet.

That made my morning Bob. laugh

Merry Christmas to a Snarky Yankee from a southern bubba wink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

I really like that! laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

LMAO grin

You're the one who feels the need to point out over and over that cartridges with more powder will outperform those with less.

But like I said, you're compensating. Keep blasting those puppies with the big schit.

LMAO.

You're getting boring.

Keep digging.

You never did answer my original question....all you know how to do is hurl insults. Typical Internet [bleep].

Once again....tell me how the 7/08 distinguishes itself from all those other 7mm's or BG cartridges in general when it comes to killing animals,since it occupies that "perfect center" you blather on about?

That easy enough for you to understand? Huh?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I already told you, asshat. It is a great balance of performance, recoil, typical rifle weight and length. The 7mm magnum and the 280 to a lesser extent are overbore. The magnum typically a 24 inch barrel and traditionally has been chambered in rifles that weigh 9 pounds or so all up. The 7mm-08 gets its maximum performance out short action rifles and shorter barrels making a nice easy carrying rig.

Now, you know all that. You just want to pedantically pick a fight over insignificant details and point out that cartridges with bigger cases with more powder will outperform it. Yes, they will in larger and heavier rifles.

The 7-08 is the modern version of the 7x57. And anyone who doesn't think the 7x57 is pure sex is obviously a queer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Merry Christmas, gentlemen. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I already told you, asshat. It is a great balance of performance, recoil, typical rifle weight and length. The 7mm magnum and the 280 to a lesser extent are overbore. The magnum typically a 24 inch barrel and traditionally has been chambered in rifles that weigh 9 pounds or so all up. The 7mm-08 gets its maximum performance out short action rifles and shorter barrels making a nice easy carrying rig.

Now, you know all that. You just want to pedantically pick a fight over insignificant details and point out that cartridges with bigger cases with more powder will outperform it. Yes, they will in larger and heavier rifles.

The 7-08 is the modern version of the 7x57. And anyone who doesn't think the 7x57 is pure sex is obviously a queer.

Overbore? You are brainwashed, stupid, or both. Tell me about "overbore"?

I don't think the 7x57 is "pure sex"...and I'm not queer.

I think your brain is addled by a lot of bull [bleep] about short actions and light rifles. They may be perfect for you because you have short arms or something but I am not impressed, even after 3-4 Kimber Montanas.

You wouldn't know "overbore" if it slapped you in the face.

Tell me where you chase deer and how many of these 7mm cartridges you've hunted and killed with.

You STILL didn't answer the question. I don't care about your sophomoric notions about short actions, rifle weight, fps per grain of powder expended and all that other rot.Tell me...one more time!.....what the [bleep] cartridge does that a 280, 284, 7x57 etc etc...does not do when it comes to killing animals????

Tell me all about that "perfect center"in how it kills? The other stuff is gut rot and BS but you'd fall for it in a minute.

LMAO you can't read either.... This is your last chance...Im tired of wrestling with an idiot.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well----

I learned a new word, so all this time was not wasted. Tell me you just threw that out easily, without some cross checking synonyms and I will go driving off to my daily workout. Happily overcompensating, either way.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well played Brad.
Now put on your big boy pants and rattle can that puppy! laugh

Then toss it in the yellowstone river and you too can be a gun god. whistle

I doubt I could ever attain gun-god status. Maybe gun-fairy status...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yes, I'm pretty convinced that you are queer.

I chase deer on my own place and I've killed them with in order: 22lr, .22 mag., .223, .243 win, 6.5x55, .260, .270 win., 7-08, .7x57, .280, 7 mag, 30-30, .308 win, 30-06, 7.62 x39, .303, 7.62x54R, 7.92x57, and 45-70. I'm sure one or two more have slipped my mind.

You can also throw in a few with double ought buckshot, .45, .50, and .54 caliber muzzleloaders, and a 50lb at 28, longbow.

I've had good luck with all those except the .270 for some reason or another. They all kill more or less the same within their limitations, although the rimfires are obviously out as deer rifles and not recommended. I never saw any advantage to the bigger stuff and these days, even the 30-06 seems like overkill for deer.

So, with that experience, the 7-08 seems like the perfect balance of quick effective killing power and is right in the middle and a more or less perfect balance of killing power and all the other factors that make a deer rifle desirable.

Oh yeah, add the .357 mag and .45 Colt.

Last edited by JoeBob; 12/21/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, I'm pretty convinced that you are queer.

Thank you. Might explain why I like the 270 so much.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
And if you want to go further, the 7mm-08 has no significant range limitations for normal hunting situations. It will easily take deer to 300 yards and a little beyond with practice. It kills quickly and effectively within that range. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable at the longer ranges in that window with something smaller. Although, I'll concede that the .25s and the 6.5s probably do just as well. If I were looking at shots consistently longer than that or even on the top end of that window, I would probably want something with more umph. If everything was 200 yards or less, then a Win 94 30-30 would do nicely.

But I don't sit in a stand over a feeder so I carry my rifles a lot. A nice, light and short 7mm-08 lets me still hunt with the rifle comfortably in my hands where it should be. With it, I am at no disadvantage if the deer is 30 yards away or 275 yards across a field I'm looking at.

It is all about having enough rifle to give a little margin but not too much that it becomes a chore to carry.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, you made your case for the 708. But, it didn't need to be made. Most of us are well aware what it will do/what it is.

Merry Christmas!

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What is the best giraffe caliber, rifle, bullet and scope combo?

We can argue brass after we sort out the above.

Originally Posted by elkhunternm
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SLM; 12/21/16.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Well, you made your case for the 708. But, it didn't need to be made. Most of us are well aware what it will do/what it is.

Merry Christmas!

Well, it wasn't aimed at you now was it? Merry Christmas to you as well.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter

Eddie

Kumbaya????

When the Angels want warm and fuzzy, the Northern Angels sing Battle hymn of the Republic. Southern, Dixie.

Kumbaya is really weird.

Touche...laughing

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buddy killed a Spike Bull Elk this year with a 7mm-08 Savage and 140 accubond at 310 yards. Complete pass through and the elk went straight down!

I would look at a 260 or 6.5 creed also.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
In the spirit of trying to get back to the OP's question, I wouldn't hesitate to put a 7-08 in the hands of a young shooter. 7RemMagnicifent? Not so much.

7-08's and 120 BT's are mild-mannered, game killing machines (killed nearly 50 whitetails and more hogs than that with it). A 140 Accubond or partition.....lights out on nearly 40 aoudad sheep and about that many whiteys and mule deer with that one out to 300 yards or so. Obviously the 7RMagnificent will do all of the above as well, with more recoil. I cannot think of a better cartridge up to medium size game than the 7-08. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on African plains game either, at least up to eland size stuff.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
TiBike Offline OP
OP Offline
T

P

I was thinking about $500 (give or take a bit)for glass. Maybe a Leopold VX-3i. Thoughts or other considerations? What do you guys like for reticles?

T
TiBike Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Oh, and I don't reload at this time but who knows what the future may bring. Right now my days are busy 'til bedtime.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

P

I was thinking about $500 (give or take a bit)for glass. Maybe a Leopold VX-3i. Thoughts or other considerations? What do you guys like for reticles?

My Tikka hunting rifles wear recent manufacture VX2 3-9x40 CDS scopes. I read that newer VX2 scopes have the same coatings as older VX3 scopes. When Leupold introduced the Windplex reticle they put the duplex models on closeout, I bought a bunch at $250 each. Great scopes.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
T
TiBike Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by SLM

[Linked Image]

Clearly the cartridge will be, ahem, necked down.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have shot the 7 mag for years now I shoot the 7mm/08. In the hardwoods of E.Ky. don't really need the 7mag., at reasonable White tail ranges there is not a spits worth of difference.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by SLM

[Linked Image]
Did not see this till now,sorry SLM.

Well here is my choice..

Caliber/cartridge..... .223 ai

Rifle.... Remington M 700

Bullet... 75 gr A-Max

Scope... 45x Leupold with LR dots.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by SLM

[Linked Image]
Did not see this till now,sorry SLM.

Well here is my choice..

Caliber/cartridge..... .223 ai

Rifle.... Remington M 700

Bullet... 75 gr A-Max

Scope... 45x Leupold with LR dots.

What is a 223 ai?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Go down to "Miscellaneous" and look up "Is the .223 AI enough gun" it'll answer all your questions. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,043 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.