Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm contemplating buying a dedicated turkey shotgun and have been watching a camo combo barrel 535 on a used rack at a gunshop and recently spotted a combo set 835 combo set in the local classifieds.

Any issues with these?
I thought the 835's had issues ejecting 3.5"?
Seems like they push the 835's hard once 535's were released?

User experience comments?

(otherwise I will stay with my old steel browning BPS and paint it.)

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have had both, still have the 835.

535 is lighter, handier, kicks harder, doesn't pattern as well

835 is heavier, handy with short barrel only, still kicks, patterns very well due to the 10GA overbore slowly constricted down to 12GA before hitting choke (less deformed shot using 3.5" shells = better patterns

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
i was watching youtube videos on the 835 and saw that about the 10 gauge bore.

I dont think I would shoot 3.5's, but nice to have the option. I bet you can get out to 60 yards easy with the 3.5.

Anyone else?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
turkey gun. 835 without question.

Dave you self time and money. buy an Indian Creek black diamond strike and put 3.5 inch #5 longbeards in it.

if you don't believe me just go look through the old gobbler forum

there isn't a choke made for the 835 that hasn't been run through the paces by someone on that board

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
rack the pump with some "man force" and the 835 will eject fine with spent 3.5 shells.

I run a rhino .670 choke with 3.5 longbeard #6,s, truglo adjustable pro series sights, sims pad and 16 oz of fishing sinkers and stuffed in walmart bags in the hollow of my buttstock to add weight to tame recoil. it works...
throws a 280-300 pattern into 10"at 40 yds

or a rhino .680 with nitro rays shell 501l 4c 5c 7h
will throw a 325 all day if you can ever find them in the old red federal hull and not the fiocchi hull he uses now, that is if he even makes that load anymore(beware of nitro rays antics though)
stick with longbeard shells inexpensive and they perform excellent

or a 35 dollar truglo strut stopper extreme .670 with the 3.5 longbeard#6,s with throw a 260-270 all day

I do recommend stuffing the buttstock with some fishing sinkers for weight layed between wally world bags stuffed to the hilt with a huge screwdriver to about 1/4 inch below the recoil pad internal lip area in the stock at a minimum for recoil reduction it also help the center of gravity when carrying the gun one handed under the receiver

patterning a 835 can be brutal with 3.5 shells
a sims pad and adding some weight helps alot

Last edited by renegade50; 12/21/16.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by renegade50
rack the pump with some "man force" and the 835 will eject fine with spent 3.5 shells.

I run a rhino .670 choke with 3.5 longbeard #6,s, truglo adjustable pro series sights, sims pad and 16 oz of fishing sinkers and stuffed in walmart bags in the hollow of my buttstock to add weight to tame recoil. it works...
throws a 280-300 pattern into 10"at 40 yds

or a rhino .680 with nitro rays shell 501l 4c 5c 7h
will throw a 325 all day if you can ever find them in the old red federal hull and not the fiocchi hull he uses now, that is if he even makes that load anymore(beware of nitro rays antics though)
stick with longbeard shells inexpensive and they perform excellent

or a 35 dollar truglo strut stopper extreme .670 with the 3.5 longbeard#6,s with throw a 260-270 all day

I do recommend stuffing the buttstock with some fishing sinkers for weight layed between wally world bags stuffed to the hilt with a huge screwdriver to about 1/4 inch below the recoil pad internal lip area in the stock at a minimum for recoil reduction it also help the center of gravity when carrying the gun one handed under the receiver

patterning a 835 can be brutal with 3.5 shells
a sims pad and adding some weight helps alot

Let me get this straight on the bags...

1. Stuff one wally bag in by the stock screw to keep the lead sinkers from getting wedged around the screw
2. Then wally bag full of sinkers stuffed in tight with a screw driver. Bag is to contain weights
3. Another wally bag at the rear between to prevent sinker rattling noise?

Or the biggest thing is to put a barrier around the screw and then fill it up.

Good idea.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
3-4 bags in bottom 1st then 3-4 oz of sinkers
then layer the bags and 3-4oz of sinkers till all 16oz is used
keep sinkers within 1 inch of the comb(top)line of stock not along the heel/drop(bottom)line
prob use about 30plus bags in whole process
easy to do

also did this on my semi auto 12ga dove gun
it works

lot better than spending money for mercury recoil tubes or other recoil reduction products

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
layer of 3-4 bags drop in some sinkers repeat

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I know a marsh swamp close to Freeport TX, that you can have a free 835 if you want it. That's where the guy threw it when it jammed up on the 3.5" goose loads for the umpteenth time. I'm not a fan of the 835 either. I sold mine shortly after the last goose hunt with it, but danged if I didn't win another one at a Ducks Unlimited event. It's still NIB around here somewhere.

My recommendation is to spend a little extra money and get a gun you will be proud to pass on to your grandkids.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Allen917

My recommendation is to spend a little extra money and get a gun you will be proud to pass on to your grandkids.

That would be a browning BPS predator... which is out of production by the time I saw a picture of one.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by renegade50
3-4 bags in bottom 1st then 3-4 oz of sinkers
then layer the bags and 3-4oz of sinkers till all 16oz is used
keep sinkers within 1 inch of the comb(top)line of stock not along the heel/drop(bottom)line
prob use about 30plus bags in whole process
easy to do

also did this on my semi auto 12ga dove gun
it works

lot better than spending money for mercury recoil tubes or other recoil reduction products

Gold star for the better explanation. Thanks.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by Allen917

That would be a browning BPS predator... which is out of production by the time I saw a picture of one.

Funny you should mention that. Since the guy that pitched the 835 didn't have a backup gun, we drove to Katy that afternoon and he bought a Browning BPS. They had a pretty good sale going on Brownings so I bought a 10ga BPS with a 26" bbl. Next morning we tore the geese up with no malfunctions. We both agreed the BPS guns were a lot more comfortable to shoot too.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had the same notion a while back,I wanted a dedicate turkey/coyote shotgun. The cost of the 835 was too tempting, so I went for it. I knew I hated Mossbergs, but I convinced myself it would be fine for what I wanted.

I now have an 870 Special Purpose Turkey...

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I had the same notion a while back,I wanted a dedicate turkey/coyote shotgun. The cost of the 835 was too tempting, so I went for it. I knew I hated Mossbergs, but I convinced myself it would be fine for what I wanted.

I now have an 870 Special Purpose Turkey...

More confusion to my gun shopping..

It seems like I can almost get another gun for the price of a short browning barrel.....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Love my 835, never liked a thing about an 870.

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I put a couple thousand rounds down the barrel of an 835. Only issue was a failure to eject on the 3rd or 4th shell from new. That gun was responsible for every bird and clay I killed for 8 years. Shot mostly 2.75" shells for skeet and upland hunting. Finally sold it as I've moved to hunting chukar. I've found a light weight 20 gauge is more fun to pack around in chukar hills.

When I hear Mossberg I don't think of accuracy or reliability but my 835 served me well for many years.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned more 835's than I can remember, mostly used them as Spring gobbler stompers, they all shot great and functioned fine, though I didnt run a pile of ammo thru any of them, just patterning 3.5" turkey loads at the range and then what shooting I did hunting turkeys.....They aint the nicest/well finished shotguns out there by no means but the several I had did there job rather well......(I still got one that I use to chase Gobblers with on rainy Spring mornings ) ........Good luck....Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I slam 3.5"'s out of mine goose hunting all the time with nary a problem. I like my 835 enough to keep it.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 835 uses an overbore barrel. The 535 uses a standard 12 ga barrel. The 835 will pattern 3.5" shells better.

*If* you are going to shoot 3.5s, then get an 835. If you're not going to shoot 3.5s, get a 500. Shorter, lighter , cheaper.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 835 will pattern better with big payloads.

My suggestion with either gun is to get good dental insurance.

Why? If you shoot enough turkey loads out of either, your fillings will get loose and need to be replaced. Those are some @$$-kicking guns. I sold the 835 I had because every time I shot it, the recoil would cause my right thumb to come back with the stock and whack me in the nose hard enough my nose would bleed. No thanks. Something about the stock cut on the 835 was off for me. I have no problems with the Remington 870 super mag or the Benelli super nova kicking me the same way with identical loads.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.