Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've always found 80-90gr to work in almost everything, with at least hunting-capable accuracy.

Even my 62-cal long rifle shoots decent groups at that charge, but the sights needed no fiddling to hit to point of aim if I went up to 120gr, so I did. Recoil isn't much to notice, to be honest, and I don't have to screw with the sights, so I shoot that charge. That's really the only reason.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Have always used 100 gr. of FFg in my 54 cal. Thompson Center Hawken....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my t/c firestorm flinter works great with pyrodex pellets. i put a small squirt of 4F down the barrel, drop 2 50 grain pyro pellets and a 245 grain power belt and it shoots like a rifle.

My diploma is a DD214
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Traditions makes one they say is designed to use Pyrodex or Triple 7 pellets. I've been using loose Pyrodex RS in the one I won at a gun raffle, seems to work fine.

I haven't been out yet but am planning to get out this weekend.

Dale

This space for rent

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Was out tonight and cocked the rifle, but never got a clear shot.

I have till Jan 28 here in 5C. I can be patient. One of them will catch a round ball in the lungs till this is over.

IC B2

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Finally got back out today around 11:30 or noonish. Did some small nudges again with a buddy. Saw some deer, but nothing to wager a shot at as most were moving pretty good. One of the last sits of the day was an edge of a swamp, while my buddy cirled to the other side where he would sit, then I circle for him later. I saw a deer walking along the creek that traverses the swamp, but had to wait about 15 min for a clear shot. It was limping, so was sure I wanted to take a shot. Finally stepped into a little opening about 60 yards out and I set the trigger and ka-swoosh...she fell at the shot. She was on the other side of the creek and my buddy being the awesome dude he is, came over, field dressed it and drug it across the creek (he had knee-high rubber boots, I didnt). It became quickly apparent why the limping, a 3-legged deer. Not sure if it was shot or hit by a car previously, was not bleeding and skinned over. So, Im done for the year, good luck to all those still headed out. My summer plans are to try increasing the current load Im using from 70 to 80 grains of FFg and re-regulating the sights.

[Linked Image]

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You mean yesterday, right? wink

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I was out on Saturday morning, bounced one out of it's bed less than 20 yds. from where I planned to sit. She made a couple of jumps and was gone into the brush. Plenty of tracks in the snow so there are deer around. I think I'm headed out Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.

Dale

This space for rent

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Dale K
Plenty of tracks in the snow so there are deer around.

Sounds like the same trip we had, lots of sign ...but tough to eat sign. We always jumped a few heading in well before light, but no signs around otherwise.

We only got in 2-days due to family commitments and timing, so next year we're considering the camping week for the 1st full week to follow the New Year. We'll see ...

All of my MZL'drs will shoot into ONE ragged hole ALL day long ... it's just those darn 2nd & 3rd+ shots that tend to open up my groups!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by TomM1
Finally got back out today around 11:30 or noonish. Did some small nudges again with a buddy. Saw some deer, but nothing to wager a shot at as most were moving pretty good. One of the last sits of the day was an edge of a swamp, while my buddy cirled to the other side where he would sit, then I circle for him later. I saw a deer walking along the creek that traverses the swamp, but had to wait about 15 min for a clear shot. It was limping, so was sure I wanted to take a shot. Finally stepped into a little opening about 60 yards out and I set the trigger and ka-swoosh...she fell at the shot. She was on the other side of the creek and my buddy being the awesome dude he is, came over, field dressed it and drug it across the creek (he had knee-high rubber boots, I didnt). It became quickly apparent why the limping, a 3-legged deer. Not sure if it was shot or hit by a car previously, was not bleeding and skinned over. So, Im done for the year, good luck to all those still headed out. My summer plans are to try increasing the current load Im using from 70 to 80 grains of FFg and re-regulating the sights.

[Linked Image]

About 15 years ago I shot a 6 point like that. He came through the woods towards me and as he walked, his head was bobbing up and down. I thought it was wounded and shot him. His leg was almost identical to this one. It was cut off at the knee and healed over. The deer was perfectly fine........until I pulled the trigger.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 01/05/17.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tddeangelo
You mean yesterday, right? wink

Yeah, I posted after midnight but still "today" on my calendar as the sun hadnt risen smile

Anybody else get out? Im normally rabbit hunting this year, but havent seen any while deer hunting etc.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot a doe on Saturday hunting with a gang of 25. I will hunt with a smaller crew this Saturday in Snow Shoe / Kato area. The final Saturday will be local with 25-35 guys. We see lots of deer with the big drives, and selecting honey holes. Locally this is the real deer season.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thats quite a crew, we dont get that many hunters willing to drive in bear season anymore.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've been out as weather permits, but the wind and rain has not helped.

Got home early enough from work to get out last night, and I thought for SURE they'd be moving to food sources last night, but nothing budged. With snow coming, and the weather feeling like a storm was brewing, I would have almost bet a paycheck on deer being all over last night. I guess they didn't get the memo. lol

Headed out to DMA2 to hunt with some folks out there tomorrow and do some pushes with 6-8 guys. Will be a nice change from my stand hunting at home here in Berks County.

I need a "bologna deer" and then I'm done for the season, so hopefully I roll one out there and then I put the hunting gear away for the year.

The only thing that sucks about the DMA area is I gotta at least quarter the thing to take it home. But...it is what it is.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Terryk
I shot a doe on Saturday hunting with a gang of 25. I will hunt with a smaller crew this Saturday in Snow Shoe / Kato area. The final Saturday will be local with 25-35 guys. We see lots of deer with the big drives, and selecting honey holes. Locally this is the real deer season.
You guys must be really motivated to do drives in that steep stuff. I'll probably go out for a bit on Saturday behind Tussey.

Last edited by atomchaser; 01/06/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atomchaser
Originally Posted by Terryk
You guys must be really motivated to do drives in that steep stuff. I'll probably go out for a bit on Saturday behind Tussey.

I have a Dmap for Penn Roosevelt, but I won't get around to hunting back there this ML season. I do walk the dogs back in Rothrock every week. I am always in Poe Valley, Thickhead, and out to Stone Valley. Good places to have chains on the truck.
Amazing all the choices around here.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I left work early on Friday and beat feet north to the farm. I hit the woods about 3:30 or so. About 4:15, I heard some stones roll down on the railroad tracks. Hmm, sounds like one is coming out of the thick stuff, headed to the farm field and/or the oaks along the field edge.

A minute or so later, I get a glimpse of a deer moving along the creek bottom (I'm on upper edge of the ravine) and figure it will pass broadside about 40 yds. from me. The darn thing turned a bit and started up out of the bottom and popped into view again at 15 yds, looking straight at me.

Holy Crap! Antlers! It saw me at the same time I saw it was a buck. It decided that I was bad news a hell of a lot faster than I could decide if the brow tine was there to make it a legal buck. Oh well.

I made it out for awhile Saturday AM and then again after lunch, saw plenty of sign but no sign makers.

About froze some important parts off, it was about 5* in the AM and I don't think it ever got above 14* all day. Plus the wind kicked up the afternoon.

Dale

This space for rent

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yep, saw sign galore today, but not what made it. Have to see if I can slip out of work early enough to hunt at all this week. They aren't showing up till darn near quitting time anyway.

Just need one more for the freezer and I can call it a year....

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Cold out there Fellas stay warm!

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The FAT lady is singing..............

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 72 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.