Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Anybody taking their flinters out after Christmas? Ive got an un-used buck tag I might try to fill. Will be taking my Lyman Great Plains Hunter loaded with the Hornady Great Plains Bullet and 70 grains of FF Goex.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have an used buck tag and two doe permits for 3D.....so, I would be happier than a pig in slop to go 1 for 3 wink

Using up my last week of vacation for the first week of flintlock.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hopefully we get some fresh snow. Stuff on the ground now is very crunchy! Me and a buddy who doesnt have lots of flinter experience are going to do some small pushes.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I try to get out until the 2nd of Jan, then Saturdays only. It looks like 40s and rain the first two days in the middle of the state. I'll probably take a trip up north to SG100, and look around. Mostly a exploring road trip to kill time and BS. I have two flinters for wet days.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
If its raining I might be chasing trout! or watching football.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still have a buck tag, so I'll be out a bit.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Where ya at in NE PA Ben? My mom used to have a farm near Jermyn.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Definitely.....and I live in and hunt in 5C, so I take advantage of the extended season as well.

Will have my long rifle out looking for a doe to fill out the remaining freezer space. Buck tag was punched in archery season and I just finished processing a doe I took the last day of rifle season. Mama says one more to feed the herd in my house (three kids, they eat a lot...lol), so I'll look for one more doe and then call it a season. At least for deer.

Then it's time to try to cull the squirrel herd. And I have a 36 cal flintlock hopefully for next fall that should be hell on the squirrels!

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I'll probably take mine out for a walk in Rothrock SF if the weather is decent. If I don't feel like hiking, I'll just sit in my backyard stand. The neighborhood herd is getting too big and needs thinned out.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
A few of us intend to pitch a traditional camp from 26Dec to the 30th, or maybe break camp on New Year's Eve day. Near Milford, Delaware Forrest and State Game lands.

... have never run into anyone else in the woods ... takes me back, especially when all kitted out in traditional clothing & accroutemonts to boot!

All of my MZL'drs will shoot into ONE ragged hole ALL day long ... it's just those darn 2nd & 3rd+ shots that tend to open up my groups!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atomchaser
I'll probably take mine out for a walk in Rothrock SF if the weather is decent. If I don't feel like hiking, I'll just sit in my backyard stand. The neighborhood herd is getting too big and needs thinned out.

4D is my area too. Lot of land in Rothrock. I have a D Map tag for around Penn Roosevelt/bald mountain area.

Last edited by Terryk; 12/20/16.
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Flint62Smoothie
A few of us intend to pitch a traditional camp from 26Dec to the 30th, or maybe break camp on New Year's Eve day. Near Milford, Delaware Forrest and State Game lands.

... have never run into anyone else in the woods ... takes me back, especially when all kitted out in traditional clothing & accroutemonts to boot!

I might do the same next fall during the early anterless season. I much prefer camping in Oct vs Jan.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish Ky. had a flint only season.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I too have an unused buck tag plus a doe tag for 2E so I'll be out poking around some, just not sure where, when or how much. It's pretty easy to get out on SGL 50 after work since it's only 10 minutes from my house. The family farm near DuBois 2E is a bit tougher but hope to spend a couple of Saturdays there.

There's a similar thread running on the Pa. Firearms Owners forum (pafoa.org) any of you also post over there?

Dale

This space for rent

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Will check sight-in today, hunt next week in 2G.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That's something I love about traditional sights. They are a bit of a bugger to get regulated as you want, but once you're there, it ain't movin'.... smile

I'm hoping to get together with some other members from HuntingPA and do some pushes out in the south central part of the state. I have a DMA2 tag for out there and 3 doe tags for 5C left, but I will probably only use one. I get extra in case I need more meat, but I got a decent sized buck and doe already, and I don't think we'll need more than one more deer. Between the two, I put about 100lbs of boned meat in the freezer. One more should do the trick.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by TomM1
I might do the same next fall during the early anterless season. I much prefer camping in Oct vs Jan.

Oh man, I just LOVE the Winter camping experience! Made so much the more incredible a trip by the comraderie of the other gents in the camp, good, solid like-minded hunters using flintlocks they made themselves, as one of the crew is a talented MZL smoothie/rifle builder and horner.

I'll admit we drive in using the luxury of modern 4WD vehicles, setup the camp, then park them 'iron horses' down the road a piece. It at least makes it a nice primitive camp for the week, in fact the 1st time I was invite to join them i had to go out and get prescription 'Ben Franklin' glasses just to be allowed into the camp!

We usually setup 2 wall tents, a 10x10 and 10x12, end-to-end. Makes it nice - one stove on one end for cooking and gear and another stove setup in the other end for the sleeping quarters.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Flint62Smoothie; 12/21/16.

All of my MZL'drs will shoot into ONE ragged hole ALL day long ... it's just those darn 2nd & 3rd+ shots that tend to open up my groups!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Neat pics....where are the flintlocks in those pics though? Handmade guns and no pics???

wink

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Super cool camp. Ive done my share of winter camping when in lived in AK. We used to do a winter ice fishing camp, but it involved a primitive cabin with a woodstove being the one luxury, it was well used smile

tddeangelo- I hear ya on the sights. I regulated mine for my current load and though mild, I dont plan on changing anytime soon.

We are gonna have to get a success pic thread going after Monday!

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Heck yeah. Love seeing flintlocks across deer.

It may take me a bit, but I should hopefully be able to post one before it all ends.

My rifle shoots 2/2.5" high at 50 and 1/1.5" low at 100. I like easy. Point and shoot to 100, shade it a little high if the deer's a hair past 100, but really that's as far as I care to shoot anyway, and usually I can get them fairly close. Last deer I shot with the rocklock was last winter and was 25 yards. She got up from her bed on my route to my stand and decided to stop and look at me. Whoops.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.