Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Anybody taking their flinters out after Christmas? Ive got an un-used buck tag I might try to fill. Will be taking my Lyman Great Plains Hunter loaded with the Hornady Great Plains Bullet and 70 grains of FF Goex.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have an used buck tag and two doe permits for 3D.....so, I would be happier than a pig in slop to go 1 for 3 wink

Using up my last week of vacation for the first week of flintlock.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hopefully we get some fresh snow. Stuff on the ground now is very crunchy! Me and a buddy who doesnt have lots of flinter experience are going to do some small pushes.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I try to get out until the 2nd of Jan, then Saturdays only. It looks like 40s and rain the first two days in the middle of the state. I'll probably take a trip up north to SG100, and look around. Mostly a exploring road trip to kill time and BS. I have two flinters for wet days.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
If its raining I might be chasing trout! or watching football.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still have a buck tag, so I'll be out a bit.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Where ya at in NE PA Ben? My mom used to have a farm near Jermyn.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Definitely.....and I live in and hunt in 5C, so I take advantage of the extended season as well.

Will have my long rifle out looking for a doe to fill out the remaining freezer space. Buck tag was punched in archery season and I just finished processing a doe I took the last day of rifle season. Mama says one more to feed the herd in my house (three kids, they eat a lot...lol), so I'll look for one more doe and then call it a season. At least for deer.

Then it's time to try to cull the squirrel herd. And I have a 36 cal flintlock hopefully for next fall that should be hell on the squirrels!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'll probably take mine out for a walk in Rothrock SF if the weather is decent. If I don't feel like hiking, I'll just sit in my backyard stand. The neighborhood herd is getting too big and needs thinned out.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
A few of us intend to pitch a traditional camp from 26Dec to the 30th, or maybe break camp on New Year's Eve day. Near Milford, Delaware Forrest and State Game lands.

... have never run into anyone else in the woods ... takes me back, especially when all kitted out in traditional clothing & accroutemonts to boot!

All of my MZL'drs will shoot into ONE ragged hole ALL day long ... it's just those darn 2nd & 3rd+ shots that tend to open up my groups!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atomchaser
I'll probably take mine out for a walk in Rothrock SF if the weather is decent. If I don't feel like hiking, I'll just sit in my backyard stand. The neighborhood herd is getting too big and needs thinned out.

4D is my area too. Lot of land in Rothrock. I have a D Map tag for around Penn Roosevelt/bald mountain area.

Last edited by Terryk; 12/20/16.
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Flint62Smoothie
A few of us intend to pitch a traditional camp from 26Dec to the 30th, or maybe break camp on New Year's Eve day. Near Milford, Delaware Forrest and State Game lands.

... have never run into anyone else in the woods ... takes me back, especially when all kitted out in traditional clothing & accroutemonts to boot!

I might do the same next fall during the early anterless season. I much prefer camping in Oct vs Jan.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish Ky. had a flint only season.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I too have an unused buck tag plus a doe tag for 2E so I'll be out poking around some, just not sure where, when or how much. It's pretty easy to get out on SGL 50 after work since it's only 10 minutes from my house. The family farm near DuBois 2E is a bit tougher but hope to spend a couple of Saturdays there.

There's a similar thread running on the Pa. Firearms Owners forum (pafoa.org) any of you also post over there?

Dale

This space for rent

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Will check sight-in today, hunt next week in 2G.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That's something I love about traditional sights. They are a bit of a bugger to get regulated as you want, but once you're there, it ain't movin'.... smile

I'm hoping to get together with some other members from HuntingPA and do some pushes out in the south central part of the state. I have a DMA2 tag for out there and 3 doe tags for 5C left, but I will probably only use one. I get extra in case I need more meat, but I got a decent sized buck and doe already, and I don't think we'll need more than one more deer. Between the two, I put about 100lbs of boned meat in the freezer. One more should do the trick.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by TomM1
I might do the same next fall during the early anterless season. I much prefer camping in Oct vs Jan.

Oh man, I just LOVE the Winter camping experience! Made so much the more incredible a trip by the comraderie of the other gents in the camp, good, solid like-minded hunters using flintlocks they made themselves, as one of the crew is a talented MZL smoothie/rifle builder and horner.

I'll admit we drive in using the luxury of modern 4WD vehicles, setup the camp, then park them 'iron horses' down the road a piece. It at least makes it a nice primitive camp for the week, in fact the 1st time I was invite to join them i had to go out and get prescription 'Ben Franklin' glasses just to be allowed into the camp!

We usually setup 2 wall tents, a 10x10 and 10x12, end-to-end. Makes it nice - one stove on one end for cooking and gear and another stove setup in the other end for the sleeping quarters.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Flint62Smoothie; 12/21/16.

All of my MZL'drs will shoot into ONE ragged hole ALL day long ... it's just those darn 2nd & 3rd+ shots that tend to open up my groups!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Neat pics....where are the flintlocks in those pics though? Handmade guns and no pics???

wink

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Super cool camp. Ive done my share of winter camping when in lived in AK. We used to do a winter ice fishing camp, but it involved a primitive cabin with a woodstove being the one luxury, it was well used smile

tddeangelo- I hear ya on the sights. I regulated mine for my current load and though mild, I dont plan on changing anytime soon.

We are gonna have to get a success pic thread going after Monday!

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Heck yeah. Love seeing flintlocks across deer.

It may take me a bit, but I should hopefully be able to post one before it all ends.

My rifle shoots 2/2.5" high at 50 and 1/1.5" low at 100. I like easy. Point and shoot to 100, shade it a little high if the deer's a hair past 100, but really that's as far as I care to shoot anyway, and usually I can get them fairly close. Last deer I shot with the rocklock was last winter and was 25 yards. She got up from her bed on my route to my stand and decided to stop and look at me. Whoops.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by tddeangelo
Neat pics....where are the flintlocks in those pics though? Handmade guns and no pics???;)

[Linked Image]

Left to right:
-Custom Wilson 62 trade gun smoothbore by Danny Caywood, decorated with bead inlays as per the circa 1750 O'Connor gun presented to an Abanaki Indian Chief a few hundred years ago

-'MaryAnn', a 54-cal early Lancaster, 44" swamped C-weight barrel, built from a Chambers kit

-'Ginger', a 50-cal, forget the school, 42" swamped C-weight barrel, made from a rough-sawn blank and parts

...FYI, 'Lovie' is being built this year - well now going into 2017, a custom left-hand JP Beck school 50-cal longrifle, 44" swamped B-weight barrel, built from an ultra premium AAA+ tiger-striped blank from Dave Keck of Knob Mountain Muzzleloading, large LH Siler lock from Jim Chambers and parts from Track of the Wolf

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Neat pics....where are the flintlocks in those pics though? Handmade guns and no pics???;)

[Linked Image]

Left to right:
-Custom Wilson 62 trade gun smoothbore by Danny Caywood, decorated with bead inlays as per the circa 1750 O'Connor gun presented to an Abanaki Indian Chief a few hundred years ago

-'MaryAnn', a 54-cal early Lancaster, 44" swamped C-weight barrel, built from a Chambers kit

-'Ginger', a 50-cal, forget the school, 42" swamped C-weight barrel, made from a rough-sawn blank and parts

...FYI, 'Lovie' is being built this year - well now going into 2017, a custom left-hand JP Beck school 50-cal longrifle, 44" swamped B-weight barrel, built from an ultra premium AAA+ tiger-striped blank from Dave Keck of Knob Mountain Muzzleloading, large LH Siler lock from Jim Chambers and parts from Track of the Wolf

[Linked Image]

I really like the early Lancaster. I like the wide buttplate for the 54, and the swamped barrel. I would like to have one built with set trigger and a little shorter barrel. I really want to make it to Dixon's some day.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Terryk
I would like to have one built with set trigger and a little shorter barrel. I really want to make it to Dixon's some day.

I would call Tip Curtis in TN, small town north of Nashville and have one made in the white - you finish the wood and metal as you see fit. Should run you $1K +/- or so.

I hear you on dble-set triggers, but we prefer single triggers and if well tuned and pinned high, you'll get a light pull that is perfect for hunting. During last year's PA hunt I actually had a doe spook at the sound of the dble-set trigger being 'set' ... when then using a 50-cal Austin & Halleck 50-cal Hawken style rifle.

Believe it or not, but the lock time is actually increased when using set triggers, due to the extra lever involved ... not that lock time w/ a flinter is a huge concern given the strike of the flint to ignite to pan, to then light the charge, plus the loooooonnnng barrel time, given the velocity ...

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I would like to have one built with set trigger and a little shorter barrel. I really want to make it to Dixon's some day.

I would call Tip Curtis in TN, small town north of Nashville and have one made in the white - you finish the wood and metal as you see fit. Should run you $1K +/- or so.

I hear you on dble-set triggers, but we prefer single triggers and if well tuned and pinned high, you'll get a light pull that is perfect for hunting. During last year's PA hunt I actually had a doe spook at the sound of the dble-set trigger being 'set' ... when then using a 50-cal Austin & Halleck 50-cal Hawken style rifle.

Believe it or not, but the lock time is actually increased when using set triggers, due to the extra lever involved ... not that lock time w/ a flinter is a huge concern given the strike of the flint to ignite to pan, to then light the charge, plus the loooooonnnng barrel time, given the velocity ...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Those are some beautiful rifles!

I also have a single trigger on my rifle and greatly prefer it to a double set trigger.

I've posted pics of mine before elsewhere in this section. It's based on the John Schreit rifle of Reading PA from the 1760's, and it was made for me by Allen Martin in the Mifflinburg area. He's also a fan of a single trigger, and I was more than ok going that route. And I'm glad I did.

Not only do you not have the click from the trigger being set (you can skip that if needed, just have a heavier pull on the trigger), but you can pull and hold the trigger while cocking the gun and the sear won't make any sound because it doesn't have to click into place. Once fully back, you ease off the trigger and the gun is cocked silently.

I happen to live about 15 minutes from Dixon's. It's a blessing and a curse!

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
... it was made for me by Allen Martin in the Mifflinburg area.

Oh wow, he's one of the best builders out there! All of his work is oustanding! Good for you sir, good for you!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Left to right:

[Linked Image]

Beautiful!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
It's probably been 20 years since I hunted the PA flintlock season. I only killed a couple there but enjoyed the hell out of it. Maybe I'll get back for that season in the near future........good luck guys.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ya i'll be shooting the firestorm on saturday to make sure its still good to go. we only have one and 3 hunters so one will go with the m/l, one with the crossbow and one (probably me) will be squirrelin'/driving.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
From flint season last winter...

[Linked Image]

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by j2dogs
[Linked Image]

Thats a nice flintlock, for $101.90 and a couple tanks of gas you can shoot a buck or doe in an exclusive flintlock season. Always starts the day after Christmas.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Two days down......anybody score?

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Notta! Went out today after it quit raining around 9, first time out. Me and a buddy did some still hunting and little nudges as we call them. Saw one tail about 150 yards out. My buddy on the other hand (new to flintlocks) saw 3 bedded. He got a good rest and ended up with 3 flashes in the pan before the deer decided it had enough of the fireworks and moved on. I inspected his touch hole and couldnt get my pick through it. He has it remedied now and we might head out Saturday for a bit.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Side note: My buddy, just getting started, has a flinter twisted 1:48, whats that good for? A short conical? I know that exclusive conical shooters prefer 1:28 or 1:32 and round ball shooters like 1:60. He also bought pyrodex as that is all the local store had. I told him real blackpowder is best for a flinter, but will pyrodex even work?

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Side note: My buddy, just getting started, has a flinter twisted 1:48, whats that good for? A short conical? I know that exclusive conical shooters prefer 1:28 or 1:32 and round ball shooters like 1:60. He also bought pyrodex as that is all the local store had. I told him real blackpowder is best for a flinter, but will pyrodex even work?

1/48 is kinda designed to shoot conicals or patched ball. The rule of thumb is patches need deeper rifling, and conicals and sabots shallower rifling. Patched ball twists are 1/60, 1/70, and "slugs" twice as fast. I think most 1/48 twist are better with patched ball.
Pyrodex will not work well in a flint. Some guys use 10 grains first, then top off with pyrodex. For a casual shooter, just use 3F in the barrel and the same 3F in the flash pan.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Terry, seems the PA conicals which were ~200-230 grains IIRC would work well in a 1:48 twist.

I agree on the 3F all the way around, and might go that route myself when the 2F is gone. He's got a can of 4F, just cant locate any GOEX 2F, stuff is getting harder to find.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The PA Conicals were intended for slow-twist round ball barrels to use conicals. They have shot well in the 1:66 Lyman Great Plains Rifles I've seen them shot through. I used one, my father used another. Both shot them pretty well.

I never shot a deer with one, but my dad shot several and they kill well.

1:48 is the "compromise twist". I have a TC Renegade with that twist and it shot everything "ok". Nothing was bragging rights accurate, but it shot plenty well enough to kill deer. I took a doe at 90 yards offhand with it. wink

I've only gotten out once so far. Was sick as a dog on 12/26, was functional yesterday but had obligations in the morning. Got out in the evening, but the wind was a bit of a problem. Nothing showed.

Was going to head out this morning, but had a hunch my day off from work was going to turn into a day at work. I was right, and I'm in my office babysitting contractors who are doing some work for us.

Hoping to get out this evening.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Have him try the 275 grain T/C Maxi-Hunters. Don't expect gilt edged accuracy, but 90 grains or so (+/- 10 grains) behind that should give ample "minute of deer" accuracy to 100.

Oh, and pure BP in a flinter.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've always found 80-90gr to work in almost everything, with at least hunting-capable accuracy.

Even my 62-cal long rifle shoots decent groups at that charge, but the sights needed no fiddling to hit to point of aim if I went up to 120gr, so I did. Recoil isn't much to notice, to be honest, and I don't have to screw with the sights, so I shoot that charge. That's really the only reason.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Have always used 100 gr. of FFg in my 54 cal. Thompson Center Hawken....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my t/c firestorm flinter works great with pyrodex pellets. i put a small squirt of 4F down the barrel, drop 2 50 grain pyro pellets and a 245 grain power belt and it shoots like a rifle.

My diploma is a DD214
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Traditions makes one they say is designed to use Pyrodex or Triple 7 pellets. I've been using loose Pyrodex RS in the one I won at a gun raffle, seems to work fine.

I haven't been out yet but am planning to get out this weekend.

Dale

This space for rent

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Was out tonight and cocked the rifle, but never got a clear shot.

I have till Jan 28 here in 5C. I can be patient. One of them will catch a round ball in the lungs till this is over.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Finally got back out today around 11:30 or noonish. Did some small nudges again with a buddy. Saw some deer, but nothing to wager a shot at as most were moving pretty good. One of the last sits of the day was an edge of a swamp, while my buddy cirled to the other side where he would sit, then I circle for him later. I saw a deer walking along the creek that traverses the swamp, but had to wait about 15 min for a clear shot. It was limping, so was sure I wanted to take a shot. Finally stepped into a little opening about 60 yards out and I set the trigger and ka-swoosh...she fell at the shot. She was on the other side of the creek and my buddy being the awesome dude he is, came over, field dressed it and drug it across the creek (he had knee-high rubber boots, I didnt). It became quickly apparent why the limping, a 3-legged deer. Not sure if it was shot or hit by a car previously, was not bleeding and skinned over. So, Im done for the year, good luck to all those still headed out. My summer plans are to try increasing the current load Im using from 70 to 80 grains of FFg and re-regulating the sights.

[Linked Image]

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You mean yesterday, right? wink

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I was out on Saturday morning, bounced one out of it's bed less than 20 yds. from where I planned to sit. She made a couple of jumps and was gone into the brush. Plenty of tracks in the snow so there are deer around. I think I'm headed out Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.

Dale

This space for rent

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Dale K
Plenty of tracks in the snow so there are deer around.

Sounds like the same trip we had, lots of sign ...but tough to eat sign. We always jumped a few heading in well before light, but no signs around otherwise.

We only got in 2-days due to family commitments and timing, so next year we're considering the camping week for the 1st full week to follow the New Year. We'll see ...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Finally got back out today around 11:30 or noonish. Did some small nudges again with a buddy. Saw some deer, but nothing to wager a shot at as most were moving pretty good. One of the last sits of the day was an edge of a swamp, while my buddy cirled to the other side where he would sit, then I circle for him later. I saw a deer walking along the creek that traverses the swamp, but had to wait about 15 min for a clear shot. It was limping, so was sure I wanted to take a shot. Finally stepped into a little opening about 60 yards out and I set the trigger and ka-swoosh...she fell at the shot. She was on the other side of the creek and my buddy being the awesome dude he is, came over, field dressed it and drug it across the creek (he had knee-high rubber boots, I didnt). It became quickly apparent why the limping, a 3-legged deer. Not sure if it was shot or hit by a car previously, was not bleeding and skinned over. So, Im done for the year, good luck to all those still headed out. My summer plans are to try increasing the current load Im using from 70 to 80 grains of FFg and re-regulating the sights.

[Linked Image]

About 15 years ago I shot a 6 point like that. He came through the woods towards me and as he walked, his head was bobbing up and down. I thought it was wounded and shot him. His leg was almost identical to this one. It was cut off at the knee and healed over. The deer was perfectly fine........until I pulled the trigger.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 01/05/17.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
You mean yesterday, right? wink

Yeah, I posted after midnight but still "today" on my calendar as the sun hadnt risen smile

Anybody else get out? Im normally rabbit hunting this year, but havent seen any while deer hunting etc.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot a doe on Saturday hunting with a gang of 25. I will hunt with a smaller crew this Saturday in Snow Shoe / Kato area. The final Saturday will be local with 25-35 guys. We see lots of deer with the big drives, and selecting honey holes. Locally this is the real deer season.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thats quite a crew, we dont get that many hunters willing to drive in bear season anymore.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've been out as weather permits, but the wind and rain has not helped.

Got home early enough from work to get out last night, and I thought for SURE they'd be moving to food sources last night, but nothing budged. With snow coming, and the weather feeling like a storm was brewing, I would have almost bet a paycheck on deer being all over last night. I guess they didn't get the memo. lol

Headed out to DMA2 to hunt with some folks out there tomorrow and do some pushes with 6-8 guys. Will be a nice change from my stand hunting at home here in Berks County.

I need a "bologna deer" and then I'm done for the season, so hopefully I roll one out there and then I put the hunting gear away for the year.

The only thing that sucks about the DMA area is I gotta at least quarter the thing to take it home. But...it is what it is.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I shot a doe on Saturday hunting with a gang of 25. I will hunt with a smaller crew this Saturday in Snow Shoe / Kato area. The final Saturday will be local with 25-35 guys. We see lots of deer with the big drives, and selecting honey holes. Locally this is the real deer season.
You guys must be really motivated to do drives in that steep stuff. I'll probably go out for a bit on Saturday behind Tussey.

Last edited by atomchaser; 01/06/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atomchaser
You guys must be really motivated to do drives in that steep stuff. I'll probably go out for a bit on Saturday behind Tussey.

I have a Dmap for Penn Roosevelt, but I won't get around to hunting back there this ML season. I do walk the dogs back in Rothrock every week. I am always in Poe Valley, Thickhead, and out to Stone Valley. Good places to have chains on the truck.
Amazing all the choices around here.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I left work early on Friday and beat feet north to the farm. I hit the woods about 3:30 or so. About 4:15, I heard some stones roll down on the railroad tracks. Hmm, sounds like one is coming out of the thick stuff, headed to the farm field and/or the oaks along the field edge.

A minute or so later, I get a glimpse of a deer moving along the creek bottom (I'm on upper edge of the ravine) and figure it will pass broadside about 40 yds. from me. The darn thing turned a bit and started up out of the bottom and popped into view again at 15 yds, looking straight at me.

Holy Crap! Antlers! It saw me at the same time I saw it was a buck. It decided that I was bad news a hell of a lot faster than I could decide if the brow tine was there to make it a legal buck. Oh well.

I made it out for awhile Saturday AM and then again after lunch, saw plenty of sign but no sign makers.

About froze some important parts off, it was about 5* in the AM and I don't think it ever got above 14* all day. Plus the wind kicked up the afternoon.

Dale

This space for rent

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yep, saw sign galore today, but not what made it. Have to see if I can slip out of work early enough to hunt at all this week. They aren't showing up till darn near quitting time anyway.

Just need one more for the freezer and I can call it a year....

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Cold out there Fellas stay warm!

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The FAT lady is singing..............

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not yet! I have 2 more weeks. She can have a seat for a bit yet down here in 5C...

wink

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Got a nice doe last night to finish up my season. I have some doe tags yet and it's open till 1/28, but I don't need any more meat now, so I'm done.

Here she is...it wasn't raining, she died in a creek.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice job. My daughter lives in 5C (I did too, back a few years), I should think about getting tags for there.

Dale

This space for rent

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Congrats on the flinter kill, something about the kromers and classic muzzleoaders that go good together!

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 63 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.