Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
LouisB Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
I have had Datsun/Nissans or Tacomas since 1979.

Maybe 4WD, but not needed 99.9% of the time, but DANG HANDY when I do need it.
I'm now in the Ol Farts group so mileage will be low per year.
extended or crew cab.
I have experience with smaller PUs, both Nissan and Toyota and both served me well.

Not adverse to a new Tacoma.

HATE all the electric stuff, want a basic truck with automatic, getting too old ad lazy for standard and new auto exceed standards in my mind for people like me.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I wasn't putting on a lot of miles I'd go with the tundra, and that's my plan right now when I get to that point. As it stands now trying to wear out a '12 tacoma.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
If I wasn't putting on a lot of miles I'd go with the tundra, and that's my plan right now when I get to that point. As it stands now trying to wear out a '12 tacoma.
Gonna take a while to wear out a Tacoma.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Tacoma is easy to park and probably a better height to get in and out. If you need transportation, then Tacoma, if you tow or carry lumber all the time, Tundra. I have a Tundra now, and I wish I could buy a new Tacoma.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
HATE all the electric stuff, want a basic truck with automatic, getting too old ad lazy for standard and new auto exceed standards in my mind for people like me.
It's good that you want an automatic because your choices for a standard these days are limited to a Dodge 2500 or 3500 with the diesel. All the rest are auto only.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went Tundra. Waited 2 months for them to get a non-ffv engine ordered in for me. Have 34,000 on it so far with no issues. They were having trouble for a while with the ffv engines and I wasn't in a hurry so went that route.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Several of the automotive testing sites have down-graded the Ram pickups last year and this year because of suspension and front-end problems that developed before the 100K mark. If you're really not going to put that many miles on a new truck each year, it may not be a problem for you but it could affect resale value on down the line.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know if Dodge has fixed their problems but for the last 10 years or so, they've had problems with tie rod ends and ball joints. I have an '08 and my partner has an '07. He needed new ball joints and I needed new tie rod ends. He took his to a shop and had the tie rods changed while they had it apart. I did my own tie rods but not the ball joints. I'll wait until they go bad.
Dodges also have those integrated front hubs with the non-greasable bearings. I think Ford uses them, too. They're known to fail, too.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Dodge would not even be on my list

I have had my fill of Tacomas and would rather not see one again if possible, I just think they are not a good value any longer and uncomfortable as hell on a long trip.

Currently looking at Titans and Tundras. I have come to the conclusion that Toyota is not paying attention to customers anymore.

If resale value concerns you it goes in the following order

Titan
Tundra
Chevy
Ford
Dodge

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Gonna take a while to wear out a Tacoma.

Kinda counting on that (108K and counting) since I use it for work also, and the economy and gov has seen to it that at age 60 I'm in no danger of retirement anytime in the not-so-near future.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I have had my fill of Tacomas and would rather not see one again if possible, I just think they are not a good value any longer and uncomfortable as hell on a long trip.

Currently looking at Titans and Tundras. I have come to the conclusion that Toyota is not paying attention to customers anymore.

Titan
Tundra
Chevy
Ford
Dodge

That has not been my experience. I would like to know which of the first four on your list would sell for over 55% of what I paid for it new, after 11 years and right at 300k miles of service. Granted, I take care of my stuff, and my Ram was in like new condition, but I'm just saying.

Last edited by badger; 12/20/16.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
the Tundra is a good truck, especially if you tow much. the Titan has higher gearing but is also a good truck.

My 07 Tundra has almost 120,000 trouble free miles and I don't pamper it. has seen 4 wheel drive many many times and has it's fair share of brush scratches. not the best on fuel but loads of power and comfy on the road. looking for an updated model coming soon and I will likely upgrade.

it's the only truck I would even consider in the 1500 models.

Last edited by hillbill; 12/20/16.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by badger

Titan
Tundra
Chevy
Ford
Dodge

That has not been my experience. I would like to know which of the first four on your list would sell for over 55% of what I paid for it new, after 11 years and right at 300k miles of service. Granted, I take care of my stuff, and my Ram was in like new condition, but I'm just saying.

You have a diesel correct? These are v8's. I got the rankings from KBB FWIW

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hillbill
the Tundra is a good truck, especially if you tow much. the Titan has higher gearing but is also a good truck.

My 07 Tundra has almost 120,000 trouble free miles and I don't pamper it. has seen 4 wheel drive many many times and has it's fair share of brush scratches. not the best on fuel but loads of power and comfy on the road. looking for an updated model coming soon and I will likely upgrade.

it's the only truck I would even consider in the 1500 models.

I test drove a Tundra tonite not going to buy it , not at all impressed. They are falling behind and I guess they have a redesign in the works or they better have. The older models were better built.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I love my tundra it's a limited and has more that I can ever need in the hp dept. very nice truck you would not be disappointed if you ended up with one.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have an 07 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab bought new. I'm currently at 175,000 miles and have done virtually nothing to it other than routine maintenance. I did have to replace the HVAC blower, about $200 and one of the 4 U-Joints. If you don't need a full size truck it is hard to beat a Tacoma.

But last spring I came to the conclusion that I needed a bigger truck. And although I've had no issues I wanted something with fewer miles for long distance trips. Having a bigger, more comfortable truck on long trips was a factor too. I had just returned from a 4700 mile trip to the Grand Canyon and Southern Utah with the Tacoma.

I'm not especially brand loyal and gave serious consideration to all of the big 4. I ultimately decided the Tacoma was too good to let go and instead of trade it for a new truck I decided to keep it and buy a used 2014 F-150 Supercrew 4X4. It ended up almost exactly the same out of pocket money.

A Tundra was a close 2nd. But when I started doing internet searches for used trucks within a 100 mile radius there were only 3-4 Tundras that came up that met my criteria. I had dozens of F-150's to choose from. A big part of my decision came down to an available 36 gallon fuel tank on Ford. The Tundra's get worse fuel mileage and didn't start offering anything larger than 26 gallon tanks until recently. Being able to drive 600 miles between fill-ups is nice.

Last edited by JMR40; 12/20/16.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JMR40
I have an 07 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab bought new. I'm currently at 175,000 miles and have done virtually nothing to it other than routine maintenance. I did have to replace the HVAC blower, about $200 and one of the 4 U-Joints. If you don't need a full size truck it is hard to beat a Tacoma.

But last spring I came to the conclusion that I needed a bigger truck. And although I've had no issues I wanted something with fewer miles for long distance trips. Having a bigger, more comfortable truck on long trips was a factor too. I had just returned from a 4700 mile trip to the Grand Canyon and Southern Utah with the Tacoma.

I'm not especially brand loyal and gave serious consideration to all of the big 4. I ultimately decided the Tacoma was too good to let go and instead of trade it for a new truck I decided to keep it and buy a used 2014 F-150 Supercrew 4X4. It ended up almost exactly the same out of pocket money.

A Tundra was a close 2nd. But when I started doing internet searches for used trucks within a 100 mile radius there were only 3-4 Tundras that came up that met my criteria. I had dozens of F-150's to choose from. A big part of my decision came down to an available 36 gallon fuel tank on Ford. The Tundra's get worse fuel mileage and didn't start offering anything larger than 26 gallon tanks until recently. Being able to drive 600 miles between fill-ups is nice.

Yeah they fixed the fuel tank issue most of the sr5's now come with a 38 gallon tank.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have had great luck with my Ram trucks.My first 2004 Ram 2500 5.9 diesel extended cab 84,000 care free miles in 8 years of ownership.This truck 2016 Ram crew cab 6.4 hemi 4X4 only 8700 miles so time will tell.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For some reason I own GMC trucks. My 2003 Sierra 1500 has 67,000 miles on it and has a couple of bad hiccups. One was a front differential that the bearing went out in. The other was three right rear axle seals that like to leak. Besides those issues it has been okay. Starts and runs. I live on a farm and use it for both a daily driver and around the farm hauling equipment and feed. I average about 14.5 mpg overall and about 12 mpg off road. Probably would not buy another one but its hard to sell something with the low mileage on mine and I bought it new so we know what has been done and where it has been. If a new truck were to be bought it would be the Ford F150 Super Cab that JMR40 bought. There are several friends who have them and their fuel mileage runs into the high teens and low twenties on the highway and they seem to have few major mechanical complaints. In the area we live there are Dodge, Ford, GMC, and Chevrolet dealers. The nearest Toyota dealer is 75 miles away and I think there is a Nissan dealer there too. That is, for me, too far to go for service.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For what it's worth the recent Consumers Report I read at the Dr.'s office had the Ram at the bottom of the list and the list was not just trucks.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
In the last 5 years, I have owned a Tundra 5.7, Ford 250 6.2, and now a Ram 3500 CC SB 4X4 with 6.7 cummins.

Obviously, the ram is in another world as far as power goes compared to the gassers. I tow an 8k travel trailer and for towing, I will never own another gas vehicle. Also, this ram is the most refined truck I have owned - granted it is a Laramie trim, but it is a very nice truck. Also, check the resale value on cummins diesel ram trucks - some of the highest in the market.

The tundra was a very nice truck, but the limited Payload is why I gave it up. Never had any problem with pulling power. Gas milage was terrible - average around 13-14.

The Ford was a mistake - I will never own another Ford as long as I live.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll be getting another ram 2500 Cummins, last one was a great truck until my kid wrecked it. Previous truck was a Toyota pre-taco.

IMHO if you're going to get a truck, get a full size one, not a compact. And if you're going to do any hauling, get a 3/4 or 1 ton with a diesel.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well you won't be able to get a "standard" anything anymore. But I have a 2014 Ram 1500, with the Hemi and 8-speed trans. I like it a lot. I've eaten a lot of crow, but the truck is working so far. I have 84K miles on now.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
fredIII,
plus 1 on the Tundra.
Best ride I have ever had, 2014 Limited
Why would anyone buy a Fiat?

Last edited by TBREW401; 12/22/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Rams are by far the lowest quality truck sold.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TBREW401
fredIII,
plus 1 on the Tundra.
Best ride I have ever had, 2014 Limited
Why would anyone buy a Fiat?

I drove a 2017 Tundra limited on TUesday night and I think Fred Flinstones car had more comfortable seats .

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BWalker

If you call BBB Lemon Law line Ram,Chrysler and 2 other companies I believe have their own extension. Ford,Chevy, TOyota and the rest of the companies have another extension.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Now thats funny.. laugh My last new 2006 ford was a turd.My new 2002 chevy 5.3 silverado used more oil than gas..All truck/car makers have there issues.

Last edited by coobie; 12/24/16.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

A friend has 2 late model Tundras, they get about 2-3 MPG less than a Dodge Cummins and they won't even begin to haul the same load. Although, if you like a comfortable station wagon, a Tundra might just be your huckleberry.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If I could have a CrewMax with a 6.5' or 8' box I'd seriously consider buying a Tundra. I had 5.5' boxes on '01 and '05 F-150's and I'm not doing that again.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We looked at the Tundra several years ago. We needed a 3/4 ton and they tried hard to convince us that it would haul as much as a 3/4. The specs said otherwise. We went with a real 3/4. If you need to haul a load, get a truck built to haul it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went through 3 Tundras before buying a new Ram 2500 with a Cummins. No way I could ever go back! These newer Rams are miles ahead of the ones from the past, I've had my truck 2 years and 36,000 miles, it's never been back to the dealership and I do all my own maintenance. There's not one category in which the Tundra was a better truck than the ram. I get 18-19 in town and 21-22 on the highway running 75. I can tow a 4000 lb boat and get almost the same mileage my Tundra got empty on the highway. When I tow a 9,000 lb boat the tranny shifts less back and forth on hills than the Tundra did empty pulling hills. I know it's not really a fair comparison but figured since I was a Tundra cool aid drinker for a while I'd give a first hand testimonial. Love this truck.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by coobie
Now thats funny.. laugh My last new 2006 ford was a turd.My new 2002 chevy 5.3 silverado used more oil than gas..All truck/car makers have there issues.

GM and Ford are garbage too, just not as bad as Ram.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Went through 3 Tundras before buying a new Ram 2500 with a Cummins. No way I could ever go back! These newer Rams are miles ahead of the ones from the past, I've had my truck 2 years and 36,000 miles, it's never been back to the dealership and I do all my own maintenance. There's not one category in which the Tundra was a better truck than the ram. I get 18-19 in town and 21-22 on the highway running 75. I can tow a 4000 lb boat and get almost the same mileage my Tundra got empty on the highway. When I tow a 9,000 lb boat the tranny shifts less back and forth on hills than the Tundra did empty pulling hills. I know it's not really a fair comparison but figured since I was a Tundra cool aid drinker for a while I'd give a first hand testimonial. Love this truck.

I had a 97 3/4 ton with a 360, a 01 3/4 with a Cummins and a 05 1 ton with the Cummins. The 97 was the best truck, the 01 was by far the worst.
As much as I like the idea of a Cummins mated to the Toyota/Heino transmission I can't force myself to buy an Italian Ram.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/25/16.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I always like the hear the guys running their mouths bashing Dodge trucks. I tell them to look at the odometer on my dodge and tell me how many other trucks you've seen that lasted that long. Once they see the 385,000 miles in there it usually shuts them up. I'm sure I'll run into someone with a higher mileage ford/chevy, etc., but so far it hasn't happened.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I got 250,000 out of my 01. It took a lot of parts to get there.
In my neck of the woods a dodge will rust apart before you put 250,000 thousand on it. Mine had holes through the panels, cab corners were gone, upper wheel wells rotted out,etc.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

You seem to know it all about trucks. laugh I had a bad toyota truck back in 1987 BLAH,BLAH...Folks like you make me laugh.Don't forget about your friends and cousins who had this model truck or that model with a problem crazy If you live in the UP of michigan and know so much about trucks why in the hell not RUST PROOF your truck with all of the salt they use on the roads?To cheap or just a after thought? confused

Last edited by coobie; 12/25/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Check resale values and get back with me...
And all my vehicles do get rust proofed.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/26/16.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Check resale values and get back with me...
And all my vehicles do get rust proofed.
LAFFIN.You seem to be authority on many subjects.Say Ya to DA UP..Ehh...... grin

Last edited by coobie; 12/26/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

So basically you haven't bought a new truck in over a decade and your opinion is that all trucks are junk regardless of make . A little Pessimistic are we?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I got 250,000 out of my 01. It took a lot of parts to get there.
In my neck of the woods a dodge will rust apart before you put 250,000 thousand on it. Mine had holes through the panels, cab corners were gone, upper wheel wells rotted out,etc.

Try a car wash.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Try living somewhere that averages 170 or more inches of snow per year and get back with me.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

So basically you haven't bought a new truck in over a decade and your opinion is that all trucks are junk regardless of make . A little Pessimistic are we?

I bought a new Toyota in 2012. 90,000 miles with the only parts required being 1 set of tires at 60k.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/27/16.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I bought a new Toyota in 2012. 90,000 miles with the only parts required being 1 set of tires at 60k.
Hopefully you got that toyota Rust proofed trust me you will need it.LAFFIN..

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[quote=BWalker]Rams are by far the lowest quality truck sold.

Hopefully you got that toyota Rust proofed trust me you will need it.LAFFIN.. Bet you have a chit load of toyota dealers in the UP.Laffin again..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I bought a new Toyota in 2012. 90,000 miles with the only parts required being 1 set of tires at 60k. [/quote=BWalker]

Tacoma?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I bought a new Toyota in 2012. 90,000 miles with the only parts required being 1 set of tires at 60k. [/quote=BWalker]

Tacoma?

Yes. Replaced a Chevy w/ Duramax.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[/quote] Hopefully you got that toyota Rust proofed trust me you will need it.LAFFIN.. [/quote]
As mentioned earlier I get my vehicles rust proofed. Going on 5 years with this toyota and it still has a black under carriage. The only thing that stops the rust is an alloy body like a Ford has. The price one pays for living in the UP. Of course it's also not a [bleep] hole like S. MI.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/27/16.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hopefully you got that toyota Rust proofed trust me you will need it.LAFFIN.. [/quote]
As mentioned earlier I get my vehicles rust proofed. Going on 5 years with this toyota and it still has a black under carriage. The only thing that stops the rust is an alloy body like a Ford has. The price one pays for living in the UP. Of course it's also not a [bleep] hole like S. MI. [/quote]You seem somewhat angry.The deep snow and cabin fever setting in.LOL..

Last edited by coobie; 12/27/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Tacoma?

Tacomas are great little trucks, I've owned a few. Unfortunately they don't cut it when a guy needs to tow anything.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Tacoma?

Tacomas are great little trucks, I've owned a few. Unfortunately they don't cut it when a guy needs to tow anything.

I sold the business I had that necessitated a 3/4 ton diesel. Tacoma suits my needs for the most part, but I don't tow anything larger than a 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer loaded with an elk camp. It pulls that just fine, even through the mountains.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
2500 Dodge diesel with 4 wheel drive is the ticket

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, our 2012 Tundra has 136K+ miles and the only thing we gave done, other than the regular service, has been to buy a set of tires. I did trash the front skid plate a few years ago, and I am finally going to have to replace it next year before hunting season. We bought this truck to replace a 2005 Tacoma Access Cab that we sold with 268K+ on the odometer, mostly because we wanted a truck with a crew cab and a bigger bed.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
14 ram 8 speed 4x4. no problems at all.94.669 going strong

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LouisB
I have had Datsun/Nissans or Tacomas since 1979.

Maybe 4WD, but not needed 99.9% of the time, but DANG HANDY when I do need it.
I'm now in the Ol Farts group so mileage will be low per year.
extended or crew cab.
I have experience with smaller PUs, both Nissan and Toyota and both served me well.

Not adverse to a new Tacoma.

I've owned multiple examples of the different domestic half-tons, as work (construction) and personal trucks, and have daily driven/pulled with my 6 speed '02 Dodge 2500 HO CTD for almost 12 years now. Still own it and use it for work, it's a beast and been a pretty decent truck overall. Still, high cost of ownership when any repairs need doing...

I also own a 2016 Tundra. Almost a full year now. It's been great so far. If a guy isn't pulling heavy (8,000+) regularly, and can get by with a half-ton, I'd not consider any other truck but the Tundra. It has too much 'electronic stuff' for my tastes too, but's simpler and more reliable than anything else out there right now. (The only half-ton to break the 50 most reliable vehicles list, IIRC.) I plan to drive this one into the ground... Lots of guys seem to dislike that it hasn't had a major change in a decade... But, that's a big plus in my books. Parts should be easy to come by for many years.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
What kind of mileage do you get with the Tundra? Have a 04 Chev Silverado 5.3 Crewcab up here in AK dont drive it much in the winter and only tow 4K 90 k on odometer. No use for a Diesel with our cold and short trips.

Thinking I will replace Chev with a Tundra and just do not like Dodge products!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There is no way the Nissan has the highest resale value. Their values have been in the crapper for years. I think it's too early to tell how well the new Nissan will hold up and retain it's value.

Toyota has the highest resale value but they get horrible gas mileage compared to the rest of the brands - except the Nissan which also gets horrible gas mileage.

I have owned four Fords and currently own one with the Ecoboost. It has close to 400 foot pounds of torque and will haul azz; but it is very comfortable and refined and gets well over 20mpg on the highway. You should at least consider a Ford before you make your choice. I have 112,000 miles on my 2011 and it's been to the shot once. I got 209,000 out of my last Ford before I sold it. It was in the shop once as well. My previous Ford may still be running for all I know, but last time I saw the guy I sold it to he had over 330,000 miles on it. I was a Ford basher in my younger years but after 3 bad GM trucks I took a chance on them and have been happy ever since. Ford is also the only truck that excels in crash ratings - especially cab crush tests. The GM trucks are really bad in this regard.

Have you looked at all the historical problems with the GM trucks? There are several folks on this site that have had them and have complained about the multitudes of problems they have had.

If I had to buy another truck, besides a Ford, it would probably be a Ram or Toyota as I think they are good, solid trucks.

My next truck purchase will occur just before I retire so I will probably buy a Ram diesel.

Last edited by Slidellkid; 12/30/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's true that Toyota get worse mileage than some of the others. It's also true that Nissan have poor resale value and for good reason. The are junk, just like Rams.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The new Rams have a Heino transmission which is a Toyota owned company. The tranny was a major weak link in the older ram diesels. Along with the lift pumps and injection pumps.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
There is no way the Nissan has the highest resale value. Their values have been in the crapper for years. I think it's too early to tell how well the new Nissan will hold up and retain it's value.

Toyota has the highest resale value but they get horrible gas mileage compared to the rest of the brands - except the Nissan which also gets horrible gas mileage.

I have owned four Fords and currently own one with the Ecoboost. It has close to 400 foot pounds of torque and will haul azz; but it is very comfortable and refined and gets well over 20mpg on the highway. You should at least consider a Ford before you make your choice. I have 112,000 miles on my 2011 and it's been to the shot once. I got 209,000 out of my last Ford before I sold it. It was in the shop once as well. My previous Ford may still be running for all I know, but last time I saw the guy I sold it to he had over 330,000 miles on it. I was a Ford basher in my younger years but after 3 bad GM trucks I took a chance on them and have been happy ever since. Ford is also the only truck that excels in crash ratings - especially cab crush tests. The GM trucks are really bad in this regard.

Have you looked at all the historical problems with the GM trucks? There are several folks on this site that have had them and have complained about the multitudes of problems they have had.

If I had to buy another truck, besides a Ford, it would probably be a Ram or Toyota as I think they are good, solid trucks.

My next truck purchase will occur just before I retire so I will probably buy a Ram diesel.

If I had a 2016 ford f150 ecoboost I would not be bragging on it. Mine is in process of being bought back by Ford and it has a measly 6500 miles on it and as of today 59 days in the shop, last time I drove it was November 7 of this year . Luckily they are buying it because the only Truck with worse resale value is a Ram 1500. What a hit i would have taken had i traded it in. First and Last for sure. What experience do you have with the new 2017 TItan?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The new Rams have a Heino transmission which is a Toyota owned company. The tranny was a major weak link in the older ram diesels. Along with the lift pumps and injection pumps.
H,mm from what I read the new 8 speed ram 1500 transmission are made by ZRfriedrich shafens a subsidiary of Saarbrucken a german company.NOT heino.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kk alaska
What kind of mileage do you get with the Tundra? Have a 04 Chev Silverado 5.3 Crewcab up here in AK dont drive it much in the winter and only tow 4K 90 k on odometer. No use for a Diesel with our cold and short trips.

Thinking I will replace Chev with a Tundra and just do not like Dodge products!

Averaging around 15.5 MPG over the 16,000 klicks it's driven so far. I'm happy with that, given the type of use the truck gets. Almost zero empty, flat highway driving in the mix. Usually pretty loaded down with people and camping/hunting/horse gear for the highway miles. A strong percentage of forestry and mountain road miles, some trails and off-road. So far I really like the Toyota 5.7. It's a strong motor, for a gas pot... smile

My Dad's 2013 GMC just started inexplicably burning thru oil at a rapid pace. It's a nice truck and he was happy with, until this recent development. Now he's thinking hard on trading it in... I think it will depend on what kind of response he gets from GM.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H,mm from what I read the new 8 speed ram 1500 transmission are made by ZRfriedrich shafens a subsidiary of Saarbrucken a german company.NOT heino.

There are two options for 6-speed autos in the HD Rams: The Ram built 68RFE (which is worlds better than their old trans) and an Aisin which is owned by Toyota.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Correct, the 8 speeds in the half ton trucks are ZF, the two auto transmission available in the Heavy Duty trucks are the 68RFE (Chrysler) and the Aisan, a Japanese transmission optional only in the 3500.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd forgo any tranny Ram produces based on past issues with my 01.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I forgo any toyota product since my 1987 toyota pickup rusted out.Laffin..

Last edited by coobie; 12/31/16.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[quote=BWalker]I'd forgo any tranny Ram produces based on past issues with my 01.
I forgo any toyota product based on my 1987 toyota pickup rusted out.Laffin..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[quote=BWalker]I'd forgo any tranny Ram produces based on past issues with my 01.
I forgo any toyota product based on my 1987 toyota pickup rusted out.Laffin..

They had [bleep] transmissions well after 01....
You ever get around to comparing resale values? How about we compare incentives and rebates or perhaps seriously cheap lease deals? Hint Toyota does do any of that crap, but the big three has to. Especially GM and Ram.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Btw those early to late 80's toyota trucks are all over the place up here. Bear hunters and off roaders love them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Umm yes. I think we got the picture. I'm now on my 5th Ram, 2nd diesel, and the only transmission "issues" I had on any of them was through my own doing. My last one, the '03 diesel transmissions started slipping after some engine tweaking. Show me any stock transmission that would put down 503hp and 1060 ft/lb of torque to the wheels without protesting. After building the transmission properly, it was good to go for another 220k when I sold it, and is still good with about 287k on the build. Truck now approaching 350k total.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Btw those early to late 80's toyota trucks are all over the place up here. Bear hunters and off roaders love them.
Well I hate to be a bearer of bad news but I am sure you know about the lawsuit for Toyotas $3.5 billion frame ROT issues on there trucks 2007-2008 tundra & 2005-2010 Tacoma trucks.Laffin harder..With that said I owned 1978 toyota land crusier & 1987 4X4 pickup both were decent trucks.No better than my 2004 Ram 5.9 diesel 2500 & my 2016 Ram 2500 with 6.4 hemi.I try not to be a sad sack and dwell on my past truck purchases.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You want to get into recalls? My wife's 09 Acadia has a list of recalls that is many pages long. How about GM side saddles gas tanks incineration people or the latest airbag recall. I coukd go on all day..
Again check the resale..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Umm yes. I think we got the picture. I'm now on my 5th Ram, 2nd diesel, and the only transmission "issues" I had on any of them was through my own doing. My last one, the '03 diesel transmissions started slipping after some engine tweaking. Show me any stock transmission that would put down 503hp and 1060 ft/lb of torque to the wheels without protesting. After building the transmission properly, it was good to go for another 220k when I sold it, and is still good with about 287k on the build. Truck now approaching 350k total.

My father's 03 diesel toasted a tranny too and it was stone stock and not worked hard. My 91 ate two trannies and it was stone stock. Ram does.not have a good track record with transmissions amongst other things.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You want to get into recalls? My wife's 09 Acadi a has a list of recalls that is many pages long. How about GM side saddles gas tanks incineration people or the latest airbag recall. I coukd go on all day..
Again check the resale..
I thought you were complaining about Ram trucks a few pages back.H,mm now its GM products now thats a different story laugh confused

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

My father's 03 diesel toasted a tranny too and it was stone stock and not worked hard. My 91 ate two trannies and it was stone stock. Ram does.not have a good track record with transmissions amongst other things.
Let us address the Frame ROT issues on the Toyotas. smirk laugh

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
The airbag recall - the largest automotive recall in history - was for airbags made by Takata, a Japanese company. This recall affects just about every automotive brand.

Click Here

Takata's use of a cheaper airbag propellant is the root cause of the problem.

Click Here

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You want to get into recalls? My wife's 09 Acadi a has a list of recalls that is many pages long. How about GM side saddles gas tanks incineration people or the latest airbag recall. I coukd go on all day..
Again check the resale..
I thought you were complaining about Ram trucks a few pages back.H,mm now its GM products now thats a different story laugh confused

They are both junk.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Let us address the Frame ROT issues on the Toyotas. smirk laugh

GM trucks had frame issues too almost all the pre 87 trucks you see have frames broken at the steering box.
Ram have the worst corrosion rep of the big three as well..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

ATRA's own stats show the big 3 to be on fairly equal footing regarding transmission reliability............

But, whatever floats your boat. I don't trash Toyota, but its not my choice, as I use my truck to haul with. Tundra and fuel efficiency don't belong in the same sentence, especially with a load on the back.

Last edited by badger; 12/31/16.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by walt501
The airbag recall - the largest automotive recall in history - was for airbags made by Takata, a Japanese company. This recall affects just about every automotive brand.

Click Here

Click Here

The frame rot. Issues with Toyota were due to a supplier as well. Dana Corp made the frames IIRC.
The Japanese built four runner never had the issue, but the North American made Tacos and Tundras did.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Click Here

Click Here

The frame rot. Issues with Toyota were due to a supplier as well. Dana Corp made the frames IIRC.
The Japanese built four runner never had the issue, but the North American made Tacos and Tundras did.

Far be it to split hairs here, but Toyota chose to use Dana. They bear responsibility for that decision. Kind of like the critics of Ram's front axle ball joints, which are produced by American Axle, who also happen to supply GM. Yes?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Click Here

Click Here

Are you just as sure about Dana being the supplier for Toyota frames ?Maybe Grupo porza metalsa(dana sold to them prior)Like your earlier comment about ALL new ram trucks have Heino transmissions.laffin(PS) HAPPY NEW YEAR

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Click Here

Click Here

Far be it to split hairs here, but Toyota chose to use Dana. They bear responsibility for that decision. Kind of like the critics of Ram's front axle ball joints, which are produced by American Axle, who also happen to supply GM. Yes?

I agree with you 100%.
I'm not brand loyal. I have owned Rams, GM and Toyota. Toyota has just been light years better reliability wise for me. And everyone else also as they have a much higher resale value.
Are Toyotas perfect? No. The interiors are cheap, the ride rougher than some others, they often get worse mileage and they cost more. But the reliability can't be denied.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Click Here

Click Here

Are you just as sure about Dana being the supplier for Toyota frames ?Like your earlier comment about ALL new ram trucks have Heino transmissions.laffin(PS) HAPPY NEW YEAR

We were about talking about 3/4 ton and above diesels.
In regards to Dana..http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/18/report-dana-coughs-up-25m-to-toyota-over-rusty-tacoma-frames/

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Click Here

Click Here

Are you just as sure about Dana being the supplier for Toyota frames ?Like your earlier comment about ALL new ram trucks have Heino transmissions.laffin(PS) HAPPY NEW YEAR

We were about talking about 3/4 ton and above diesels.
In regards to Dana..http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/18/report-dana-coughs-up-25m-to-toyota-over-rusty-tacoma-frames/
READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Aisin is the tranny used in Toyota made Heino trucks hence the Toyota made Aisin Trans used in Rams us commonly called a Heino.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
when it comes to towing with a Tundra I find the mileage no worse than any other 1500 series truck, I have friends that have Fords and Chevys and we all get in the same neighborhood when towing comparable loads, the Tundra definately out pulls the GMs with the 5.3 by a long shot, the 6.0 gets terrible mileage loaded or unloaded and still don't pull with the Tundra.

the 5.0 Ford don't compare either, the ecoboost will hang but with it's reliability track record? who wants to tow with one?

highway mileage? the tundra is in the back of the pack for sure, that will change when the new engine/tranny package comes out in 18.

My 07 has had 0 problems in over 9 years and that from a first year build truck, I dare say the other makers can't make that claim with any regularity.

Don't get me wrong, I will buy what I think is best when it comes time to upgrade, GM,Ford,Ram, Nissan or Toyota I'm not loyal to any but I will be looking at Yota first...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
when it comes to towing with a Tundra I find the mileage no worse than any other 1500 series truck, I have friends that have Fords and Chevys and we all get in the same neighborhood when towing comparable loads, the Tundra definately out pulls the GMs with the 5.3 by a long shot, the 6.0 gets terrible mileage loaded or unloaded and still don't pull with the Tundra.

the 5.0 Ford don't compare either, the ecoboost will hang but with it's reliability track record? who wants to tow with one?

highway mileage? the tundra is in the back of the pack for sure, that will change when the new engine/tranny package comes out in 18.

My 07 has had 0 problems in over 9 years and that from a first year build truck, I dare say the other makers can't make that claim with any regularity.

Don't get me wrong, I will buy what I think is best when it comes time to upgrade, GM,Ford,Ram, Nissan or Toyota I'm not loyal to any but I will be looking at Yota first...

What issues does the Ecoboost have? My truck has a problem with the vacumn system everything else has been stellar.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

What issues does the Ecoboost have? My truck has a problem with the vacumn system everything else has been stellar.

I'm not sure how much they share with the F150's 3.5L but the 3.5L Ecoboost Police Interceptors have had quite a bit of engine problems at a neighboring PD. Oil consumption was causing fouled plugs and the fouled plugs were causing coil pack problems. It was bad enough they only buy the naturally aspirated Interceptors.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

I'm not sure how much they share with the F150's 3.5L but the 3.5L Ecoboost Police Interceptors have had quite a bit of engine problems at a neighboring PD. Oil consumption was causing fouled plugs and the fouled plugs were causing coil pack problems. It was bad enough they only buy the naturally aspirated Interceptors.

I Know at least 10 people that own them, they are all F150 owners and the vehicles range from 2011 thru 2016. I have not heard one issue related to Ecoboost issues not one. There is a guy at my gun club that bought a 2012 with 100k miles on it and absolutely loves it . I think the redesigned 2017 ecoboost will take care of the dirty valves created by direct injection(which almost all v8 trucks have these days) .

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Have you ever seen a cop take care of their car? NOPE. I'm sure the plugs were being fouled from the vehicles running for 18hrs a day.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Tundra or Ram....Hmmmmm.

My neighbor has an '03 Tundra, Extra cab, short box.. 115,000 miles on it now...The frame has been replaced, The rear springs have been replaced. The cab corners are about gone and the sides of the box are kinda flopping in the wind. The dealership that did the replacements under the recall told him it wasn't worth fixing...He likes it and it was free.

The motor seems good...tranny slips a bit but still driveable.

I have an '03 Ram. 89,000 miles on the 5.7 hemi. Have it for 4 years so far. Put tires on it. That's about it.

No rust whatsoever...She's solid. No shake rattle an' roll like I get in The stinkin' fords I have had the misfortune of being stuck driving.

Just simply the best dang truck I have ever had in my 47 years on this planet.

And Iff'n I warsh it, Looks like brandy new.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by tzone

Have you ever seen a cop take care of their car? NOPE. I'm sure the plugs were being fouled from the vehicles running for 18hrs a day.

According to the mechanic the fouled plugs were from excessive oil consumption, not the way they were being driven. These cars had less than 20-30k on them when this condition started. Ford did take care of it under warranty but the cars were down for quite a while waiting for a fix. Additionally the Hemi-Chargers & Tahoes did not experience problems like this. They also have not had any oil consumption issues with the non turbo Interceptors since they switched to them.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 01/08/17.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aisin is the tranny used in Toyota made Heino trucks hence the Toyota made Aisin Trans used in Rams us commonly called a Heino.

Guys, the trucks and components are made by a company named HINO. Hino is a sub of Toyota Motor Corp.

Hino Motors has a US plant in Ontario, California that produces axles and suspension components for Toyota Tacoma, Tundra and Sequoia models and maybe other brands.

Hino mid- and large-size trucks are all over Japan, where I recently lived for 25 years.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.