Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I need a small light weight water proof day pack for deer hunting. I want quality zippers or at least a great warranty since zippers always seem the weak point for me.

I don't carry a ton of gear, This is just for day hunts but I want to also carry a small survival kit in case of an accident or getting lost in more remote areas. It has to be completely water proof,but I prefer it not be a roll up rubber back pack.

Usually I search the web and read reviews for a month for a purchase like this,so please forgive my laziness this time and suggest some packs. I would like to pay less than $150 but no more than $250 if at all possible.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck in finding one. A canoeing dry bag with shoulder straps might work. I've given up on the idea of a waterproof pack. Too many openings and zippers for our rain forest. As you know, a functional substitute is to stuff anything that needs to stay dry inside a plastic bag inside the pack. When I want extra insurance a plastic sack inside a stuff sack works well, with the outer nylon protecting the plastic bag from puncture.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend has used one of these for years, pretty much bomb proof and 100% waterproof! I use one of their hip/camera bags, it's never leaked a drop.

http://www.sagebrushdrygoods.com/product/49-dry-daypack.html?lang=en

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Kelty. It's more water resistant than proof but it has a rain cover built into the bottom that can be pulled over it in about 15 sec.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The new generation of Crux AK-37 and 47 are waterproof. Very well regarded for their purpose (mountaineering), would make a great daypack if it fits your frame. Also within your price range.

I have two HMG packs that I love. The porter can handle +-50 lbs, the windrider can do 35ish with aplomb. They are all inherently waterproof; you may have to re-tape seams from time to time. Not built for brush beating abuse, but crazy light for what they can haul.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use the Osprey Kestrel 38. Relatively light (3lbs) but can carry alot of weight if needed. I strap my 21lb Summit climber to the back of it for archery and have no problems packing in a couple miles in comfort. Plenty of internal room when I need to stuff in some extra warm gear. Has a built in pouch for a water bladder that makes it easy to stay hydrated on long hunts.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/product/kestrel-38-KESTREL38.html

Oh, and it has a built in rain fly if it really starts to rain (more than a drizzle)

Last edited by coat4gun; 12/20/16.

Luke 22:36
εγώ δεν θα συμμορφωθεί
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're into nostalgia, you could line this one with a pack liner and be good to go.
https://www.frostriver.com/shop/day-packs/seven-bridges-daypack/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Water proof almost always means not-quiet.

Better to find the pack you want that fits you well and is quiet, then use Ziplocs and dry bags as appropriate.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of all the claimed to be waterproof zips on the market today,
of the ones i've used that which I trust the most , are from TIZIP.

http://www.tizip.com/produkt.php?lang=en&pos=1

just dont expect to find a great selection of packs that incorporate that quality of WP zip.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
"Better to find the pack you want that fits you well and is quiet, then use Ziplocs and dry bags as appropriate."

What he said. A reinforced hefty bag inside whatever pack is as cheap and effective as anything.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In nearly 42 years of backpacking, I've never seen a "waterproof" backpack.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Water proof almost always means not-quiet.

Better to find the pack you want that fits you well and is quiet, then use Ziplocs and dry bags as appropriate.

Yep. Many sizes of dry bags to choose from.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
In nearly 42 years of backpacking, I've never seen a "waterproof" backpack.

Proper WP packs are certainly out there and from my experience work as designed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Drysacks or portage packs maybe.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No, Im talking about packs with the TIZIP I mentioned earlier.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Starman

Ok... I have those on a pack. It's still not waterproof. Definitely help. A pack has to be welded" together, not sewn, to have a chance at being waterproof. Arcteryx tried a few years ago and did fairly well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nephew gave me an Orvis Gale Force that's designed for fishermen and it keeps out water very well.....so well that I use it for hunting also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ok... I have those on a pack. It's still not waterproof. Definitely help. A pack has to be welded" together,
not sewn, to have a chance at being waterproof. Arcteryx tried a few years ago and did fairly well.

Yours was sewn well thats bad luck, I saw the sense in purchasing only welded construction packs with the TIZIP
and so far they are all proven to be effectively waterproof.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Find a suspension you like and use it as a dry bag hauler with some sort of quick access panel.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ok... I have those on a pack. It's still not waterproof. Definitely help. A pack has to be welded" together,
not sewn, to have a chance at being waterproof. Arcteryx tried a few years ago and did fairly well.

Yours was sewn well thats bad luck, I saw the sense in purchasing only welded construction packs with the TIZIP
and so far they are all proven to be effectively waterproof.

Actually, that wasn't at all what he said.

Brad has been a wealth of knowledge on backpacking for many years. You, haven't been much of anything at all save a troll since you joined. It won't be hard for folks to figure out who to listen to and who to ignore.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I used one of these on a twelve day brown bear hunt where rain was near continuous. Zero issues with all internals bone dry.

http://www.nrs.com/product/55411.03/watershed-big-creek-day-pack

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I just wanted to thank everyone for all the suggestions and let you guys know I've been looking at them all.

Merry Christmas!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.klymit.com/splash-25.html

This one has ten reviews and five star average:

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/waterproof-daypack

That said, I personally use zip-loc bags and a rain cover for my favorite backpack or day pack and that works fine.

Unless I'm transporting by water, I rarely use a "waterproof" pack, and even then, I usually use a waterproof duffel to transport, then switch to a best fitting, best purpose pack with a cover.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd always suggest a paradox/seek outside pack. But that's outside of your budget. One option is this:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/6439...;attrValue_0=Olive&productId=1077114

Used with a drybag(s) it could be used as a daypack or a backpack. It's pretty comfortable and can carry a load.

Even after I bought my Paradox pack I kept this LLBean frame

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
Find a suspension you like and use it as a dry bag hauler with some sort of quick access panel.

Yes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.