that. once when carrying a single shot handgun
on public land. i was happy to have some large
trees to hide behind, but was unhappy about having
on a blaze vest. the remote places seem to attract
low lifes as well as sportsmen. also, the pot
farms and meth labs are sometimes in places where
you wouldn't expect them to be.

better to have it on you than to be wishing you
hadn't left it back home in the nightstand.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
S&W 329PD gets carried in grizz country along with bear spray. Easy to carry. Practice with 165 grain .44spl loads. Buffalo Bore 255 hard cast are manageable and designed for it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
For the power to weight ratio, the 10mm Glock 20 makes sense.

Tough and dependable, 550 ft. pounds times 15 is nothing to sneeze at. That's a lot of firepower in a handgun.

DF

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You already got the 19 and since you have dies and a bunch of load 38 special ammo, I'd get a Ruger LCRx, 38 special with a 3" barrel.

Weighs a little over a pound ready to roll. Hard to beat a 38 for shooting lots and cheap.

Excellent point. The LCR's are nice guns and easy to carry.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for a lightweight 22. A ruger SP101 8 shot 4.2" would fit the bill, as would a Ruger LCR in 22.

I had both. Sold the SP101 as it didn't get carried. The LCR I've used as a dispatch tool on the winter trapline, and it'll be good snake medicine while kayaking (loaded with shotshell 22's).

The LCR is feather light and since it's polymer, I don't really care that much to get it dirty or potentially wet. Accuracy is about what you'd expect from a snubby double action revolver - coke can at 10 yards if I concentrate. Certainly minute of snake at 6 feet.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
just depends on what Im doing.

-When im fishing, its usually my Glock 20.

-Out running, its usually a g19 (mostly just thinking about wolves)

-Handgun hunting or when I just have a 22 rifle, I have a SBH 454.

Hunting, Rafting, Backpacking, hiking, camping etc, its either the g20 or my 2.75" redhawk 44mag.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I also have a single 6 convertible so I can shoot 22lr or 22mag.

Thats always nice when Im out camping.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was squirrel hunting about a month ago with a scoped, bolt action 22. After meeting up with a Rottweiler I won't get caught in the woods with out my .38,.357,9 or one of my .45s with me. Dog about scared this old man to death.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ruger just came out with the 3" LCRx in 22lr. I think Im going to need one of these. Should make a good gun to keep in the pack.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just remember you can't call 911 in the woods so be prepared for whatever threat you think you may encounter. I ALWAYS have a sidearm when hunting, 99% of the time it is a Glock 19. Bears are low on my priority list. I have had several run ins deep into public land with dirtbags, including one encounter in Utah with a very famous guide and his henchmen that almost resulted in a gun battle when they decided that only their client could hunt a public area. I'll gladly take the weight penalty of a pistol.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For taking a walk this does not apply. If working or fishing, I prefer a semi, G19, if it gets full of sawdust or dirt, or if I end up swimming or rolling in the muddy slop, it is easy to clean with compressed air or a water hose. Revolvers are harder to detail clean and lube. Leather verses plastic holster choices follow the same thought process.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Most of the time I pack one of two short .44s. The S&W 329 PD is nice to pack but I hate shooting it. The little Super Blackhawk isn't bad to pack and it's a lot more pleasant to shoot. I mostly pack the Ruger if I'm doing a day hike and the S&W for backpacking.

Recently I picked up another Super-B, one of the .454 Bisleys. There's something out there in one of my spots. Haven't seen it. Heard it twice. I don't know what it is but it's "wrong", way too loud, and weirdly different than any animal I've ever seen or heard.

For hunting, the simplest thing is to just pack an adequate rifle instead of a pea shooter.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
For general woods carry and when I carry backpacking I carry a Smith 360-1. its a scandium/titainiun J frame with a 3.125" barrel in 357mag. at 12oz its nearly painless to carry ( not so much to shoot).

I would like a matching 317, but haven't bit on one yet. If smith would make a 22mag version I would be all over it.

Of course I am an east coaster so my likely targets would be 2 legged, or maybe coyote. While I see black bears frequently, other than wanting my food they seem pretty benign so far. I think if I were in grizzly country I would think Glock 20 or maybe a 4" 45 colt of some flavor.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I was attacked this week by a miniature striped bear.

I was lucky to have my G43 on me.

[Linked Image]

True story smile

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Even the Supreme Court Ruled you are the one responsible for your own safety. I carry in town, I will carry out of town. Only question is what am I going to carry.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Most of the time I pack one of two short .44s. The S&W 329 PD is nice to pack but I hate shooting it. The little Super Blackhawk isn't bad to pack and it's a lot more pleasant to shoot. I mostly pack the Ruger if I'm doing a day hike and the S&W for backpacking.

Recently I picked up another Super-B, one of the .454 Bisleys. There's something out there in one of my spots. Haven't seen it. Heard it twice. I don't know what it is but it's "wrong", way too loud, and weirdly different than any animal I've ever seen or heard.

For hunting, the simplest thing is to just pack an adequate rifle instead of a pea shooter.

Tom

Interesting. What do you think it might be? I'm a fellow northern Californian.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Martyf

I don't have the foggiest idea. That's what bothers me.

I grew up in the woods, my family had a fishing lodge 40 miles from town. We weren't merely rural, we were "mountain." Last house on the road surrounded by National Forest land. I spent my spare time hunting and fishing. In high school I was a biology geek, spent most of my spare time in the lab studying plants and animals. Even in college, despite switching to computers, I took as much biology as I could fit in. I should know every damned critter out there ... I don't know this one.

People may laugh at this, but I don't think it is bigfoot. I've seen 2, probably a 3rd. I follow up on reports, I go look for them. Despite KNOWING they're there, I give less than 50% chance that's what I heard.

It doesn't sound like them. No scream, no yell, no holler. From 2-1/4 miles minimum, it was a loud "ahhhhh" sound like the doc tells you to make, maybe a little bit lower, more "breath-y" (if you've had voice lessons, you'll understand), and at that distance, still had a remaining volume about equivalent of two people standing 10 feet apart talking at a comfortable level.

I have that on audio recorder. smile I may well be crazy, but my audio recorder isn't, it's just a machine.

I dunno. I really don't know. I can't think of anything reasonable that it could be. I'm not even sure I can think of anything UN-reasonable it could be, but I'm stuck with that audio recording.

There IS something out there. Heard it twice. I know where the first one came from, maybe the 2nd, so I'm using trail cams to try to catch it. I don't really know what else to do.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by STS45
Just remember you can't call 911 in the woods so be prepared for whatever threat you think you may encounter. I ALWAYS have a sidearm when hunting, 99% of the time it is a Glock 19..... I'll gladly take the weight penalty of a pistol.

This

And, Get a Hill People Gear chest pack.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/ProductID/35/Default.aspx

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HPG chest back is the best thing since sliced bread.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Martyf

I don't have the foggiest idea. That's what bothers me.

I grew up in the woods, my family had a fishing lodge 40 miles from town. We weren't merely rural, we were "mountain." Last house on the road surrounded by National Forest land. I spent my spare time hunting and fishing. In high school I was a biology geek, spent most of my spare time in the lab studying plants and animals. Even in college, despite switching to computers, I took as much biology as I could fit in. I should know every damned critter out there ... I don't know this one.

People may laugh at this, but I don't think it is bigfoot. I've seen 2, probably a 3rd. I follow up on reports, I go look for them. Despite KNOWING they're there, I give less than 50% chance that's what I heard.

It doesn't sound like them. No scream, no yell, no holler. From 2-1/4 miles minimum, it was a loud "ahhhhh" sound like the doc tells you to make, maybe a little bit lower, more "breath-y" (if you've had voice lessons, you'll understand), and at that distance, still had a remaining volume about equivalent of two people standing 10 feet apart talking at a comfortable level.

I have that on audio recorder. smile I may well be crazy, but my audio recorder isn't, it's just a machine.

I dunno. I really don't know. I can't think of anything reasonable that it could be. I'm not even sure I can think of anything UN-reasonable it could be, but I'm stuck with that audio recording.

There IS something out there. Heard it twice. I know where the first one came from, maybe the 2nd, so I'm using trail cams to try to catch it. I don't really know what else to do.

Tom

I ain’t saying that it is a mountain lion but your description reminds me of some sounds I've heard them make: weird and carries loudly way farther than I can explain. I've heard them make at least ten widely different sounds, from whistles to chattering to owl hoots to a breathy wail that wasn't super loud up close but carried way over half a mile without losing hardly any volume.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
245 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.