Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
No, it's not a mountain lion, nor is it deer, elk, bear, coyote, or wolf. All are present but it's not any of them. It would be more likely to be geological or atmospheric than any of those .. and it's not them, either.

I hope this is not too harsh, I just don't know how else to say this ... this is not a search to just make the question go away, to sweep it under the mental carpet with a comforting self-lie, mine is a search for CORRECT answers. For now, the correct answer is "I don't know." That's what it will stay until I actually do know. That's what the trail cams and audio gear are for.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In wilderness areas with little access I often carry nothing. In areas where there are a lot of tails, 4 wheelers etc. I usually carry a 9mm S&W shield. Have run into some pretty creepy dudes lately.

Been seeing a LOT of lions and sign this winter and spring so might be carrying the shield a little more.

Lefty

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
If I wanted to pack a handgun and be lightweight, I would pack my XDS 9 in an OWB holster.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Martyf
Interesting. What do you think it might be? I'm a fellow northern Californian.

People may laugh at this, but I don't think it is bigfoot. I've seen 2, probably a 3rd. I follow up on reports, I go look for them. Despite KNOWING they're there, I give less than 50% chance that's what I heard.

It doesn't sound like them. No scream, no yell, no holler. From 2-1/4 miles minimum, it was a loud "ahhhhh" sound like the doc tells you to make, maybe a little bit lower, more "breath-y" (if you've had voice lessons, you'll understand), and at that distance, still had a remaining volume about equivalent of two people standing 10 feet apart talking at a comfortable level.

I have that on audio recorder. smile I may well be crazy, but my audio recorder isn't, it's just a machine.

I dunno. I really don't know. I can't think of anything reasonable that it could be. I'm not even sure I can think of anything UN-reasonable it could be, but I'm stuck with that audio recording.

There IS something out there. Heard it twice.
Tom

I want to hear more about bigfoot. Apparently lot's of people have seen one, even more have heard one. They have foot prints and various "evidence" but it's still up in the air.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I have never felt the need to carry in the woods of Colorado unless I am hunting. If I am hunting then the extra weight of a sidearm is a waste of my energy. Carry if it makes you feel safer.

I think BeanMan has the right idea.

I went on my first wilderness backpack trip in 1958. I've probably gone on an average of 5 or 6 per year, every year, since then. So that makes several hundred trips into the wilderness. Two or three times that many nights and days. I have never been threatened by man or beast in the backcountry.

I own a Ruger SP101 .357mag. Lots of people say it's a great concealed carry revolver. But I never carry it when backpacking or hiking in the wilderness. Too heavy. Not worth the effort. There are some places in inner cities where I might carry it. But not in the outdoors.

I have carried my Ruger Blackhawk .357mag instead of a rifle, when returning to retrieve the remainder of a carcass.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by liliysdad
I am simply unable to grasp the thought process that says carrying a weapon is unnecessary, even silly....

I guess I'm just not that paranoid.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well all you have to do is be wrong once. Maybe you are a tough guy. Scare everything out there. Never a boy scout I take it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by KC
I have never been threatened by man or beast in the backcountry.

I have. Actually, at the trailhead. I've also come back to my truck to find the gas tank empty from some lowlife sumbitch with a siphon.

Trailheads are where you're most likely to run into trouble. When I'm returning to the vehicle, I like to stop a little short where I can see what's going on. I feel much better doing that with my 19 oz. .357.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been more than happy to have either a S&W 357 or a XD 45 on a few occasions. I don't even think about hiking without a pistol, to be quite honest.

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Come to think of it, I've never had someone break into my house either. But that doesn't mean that the first guy who does will find me unprepared.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These work well for me. Over many a mile in various weather conditions and terrain.

Colt's Lightweight Commander .45 ACP.

[Linked Image]

Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum.

[Linked Image]

Guess they'll have to do. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
If I wanted to pack a handgun and be lightweight, I would pack my XDS 9 in an OWB holster.

Or better yet, the same pistol in .45acp. I love my XDS in .45acp!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd love to have one of those Colts.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80

Or better yet, the same pistol in .45acp. I love my XDS in .45acp!

I originally had an xds 45 and liked it, but decided to trade it for an xds 9 for the increased capacity, and quicker follow up shots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'd love to have one of those Colts.

I don't blame you. Mine packs mighty handily both out in the boonies or concealed out on the mean streets of a city. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bperdue21
I don't live in bear country or anything but i am pretty sure you should never go in the woods hunting or hiking unarmed. I am looking to get something inexpensive for this purpose but not sure what to caliber or pistol to get. I would say a snakes, coyotes, possible rabid racoon would be the only threats. I am looking at a ruger 22/45 target, a s&w m&p .45, and a rossi 971 357 mag. I do already have dies for 38/357 and a ton of 38 spl loaded ammo and have 45 acp dies. Thank you.

For bang-per-ounce in a weatherproof gun, consider one of the Kahr polymer pistols... I've owned several. My favorite was the P45. Don't get a P40; that is one tightly-wound snappy be-atch. BUT this only applies if a long smooth trigger pull work for you. It really doesn't for me. So I've switched to Glocks.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Martyf
Interesting. What do you think it might be? I'm a fellow northern Californian.

People may laugh at this, but I don't think it is bigfoot. I've seen 2, probably a 3rd. I follow up on reports, I go look for them. Despite KNOWING they're there, I give less than 50% chance that's what I heard.

It doesn't sound like them. No scream, no yell, no holler. From 2-1/4 miles minimum, it was a loud "ahhhhh" sound like the doc tells you to make, maybe a little bit lower, more "breath-y" (if you've had voice lessons, you'll understand), and at that distance, still had a remaining volume about equivalent of two people standing 10 feet apart talking at a comfortable level.

I have that on audio recorder. smile I may well be crazy, but my audio recorder isn't, it's just a machine.

I dunno. I really don't know. I can't think of anything reasonable that it could be. I'm not even sure I can think of anything UN-reasonable it could be, but I'm stuck with that audio recording.

There IS something out there. Heard it twice.
Tom

I want to hear more about bigfoot. Apparently lot's of people have seen one, even more have heard one. They have foot prints and various "evidence" but it's still up in the air.

Am I reading this right? You've SEEN two Bigfoots(feets?)?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah Mooner, I got that also. Not only seen two Bigfeets, but worried about some unknown critter out there!! wink

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Am I reading this right? You've SEEN two Bigfoots(feets?)?

Yes and yes.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I saw one. Many people have seen them.
I've had other experiences believed related to them as well, in my 30 years or so of deer/elk hunting.
Can't explain what they are, but know what they look like, and have seen how they act.

And there's other people on the CF who have seen them.

Last edited by Wyogal; 04/23/17.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 695 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.