Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#11680000 12/22/16
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I don't live in bear country or anything but i am pretty sure you should never go in the woods hunting or hiking unarmed. I am looking to get something inexpensive for this purpose but not sure what to caliber or pistol to get. I would say a snakes, coyotes, possible rabid racoon would be the only threats. I am looking at a ruger 22/45 target, a s&w m&p .45, and a rossi 971 357 mag. I do already have dies for 38/357 and a ton of 38 spl loaded ammo and have 45 acp dies. Thank you.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good .357 is HARD to whip in that regard.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a good, lightweight .22. A tacsol buckmark/ruger or something more compact like a browning 1911-22 or ruger sr-22.....

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I carry a .38 or a .40 caliber depending on my mood. Not really for animals as I have never had an issue with anything, except a curious bear every now and again. I carry it for the two legged animals due to all the marijuana farming and the occasional tweeker from the marijuana camps. I fear humans much more than any wild animal, IMO.

I have a little .22 mag I like, but would not want to be in a fire fight with it. Great for a short hike but I prefer the larger calibers.

For the animals you describe a .38 or .357 would be plenty. Revolvers are nice for the woods, although I admit my semi-autos have never failed me even when dirty. It is nice to be able to load snake shot in the revolver if you want. I have killed rabid skunks with snake shot.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I went with a lightweight S&W revolver in .357.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glock 19.

Change bullets to fit the application: Defense against people, Defense against bear (Buffalo Bore hard cast), plinking, small game, etc.

The Glock 19 is the answer to most handgun questions.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Would be hard to best a 357 Magnum 4 inch barrel with a 158 gr SWC Cast bullet loaded to Mid Vel for your needs

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you plan to hunt small game, a .22 makes a good choice. If it's more for defensive purposes (including rabid raccoons), I would go with something bigger. Based on your reloading/ammo situation a .357 makes sense. I don't carry revolvers anymore, but had a S&W 60 3" with adjustable sights that was very good in that role. An SP-101 would be great as well. I would not buy a Rossi, because I did once. It proved that revolvers are not the be all end all in reliability.

There are lots of great pistols out there, but it is very hard to beat the G19 for all around effectiveness if you decide to go with a different caliber. Empty it is about the same weight as my 60 empty, but with vastly more firepower, much more controllable and easier to hit with for me. Depending on loads, the difference in power is not significant. You can get hard hitting 158 - 180 grain .357 loads that far outpace the 9mm, but they are not fun or easy to shoot in a light revolver and not needed for your described uses.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I already have a g19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bperdue21
I already have a g19.

Carried one of those for years at the Ranch for every day use. Nowadays, I'm just as likely to carry a Ruger SR.-22 pistol.

But if it's carried while deer or hog hunting, it's usually either my Glock 32 in .357 sig caliber, or my Glock 20 10mm. Or one of my many 1911's in 45 acp.
And in the summer when Rattlesnakes are much more likely to be encountered, I like my old Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt with some CCI Snake shot loads as the first round in the chamber.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

44 Special....

cast....jacketed......shot capsules....

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I did look at a ruger blackhawk 44 mag also.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I carry either a G19 or G26 if not in bear country. A G20 or G29 if bear are present.

A good medium frame 357 magnum with a 3-4" barrel could cover both situations with the same gun and different loads. Would be my 2nd choice.

I just like the Glocks a little better. They are lighter, more compact and hold more ammo.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
In your shoes, I'd opt for a Ruger Single Six and carry it when .22 Magnum ammo. They work quite well on all you've mentioned.
Nothing wrong with a .357. Heck, when I'm too lazy to pack my 1006, 10mm, that's what I pack in bear country.
The big drawback with a .357 is that it needs to be zeroed with with one load. I've never seen one that shot mild target loads to anything like the same zero as full power HP's. But they do handle shot loads very well.
I've also carried 1911 style .45's. With shot loads, usually they won't feed another of the same. But I do have an old Mk.IV, Series 70 that will. E

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I already have a g19.

Nothing wrong with that for a general purpose outdoors sidearm.

I carry a Glock 17 in the outdoors quite often. If you practice at 2-3 yards you can work out your 'snake hold'.

I carry 147gr XTPs, handloaded to about 1100 fps.

Sure the 9mm has it's limitations, and I have other choices too. I just like the Glock 17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I already have a g19.

Then you're all set.

John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I don't live in bear country or anything but i am pretty sure you should never go in the woods hunting or hiking unarmed. I am looking to get something inexpensive for this purpose but not sure what to caliber or pistol to get. I would say a snakes, coyotes, possible rabid racoon would be the only threats. I am looking at a ruger 22/45 target, a s&w m&p .45, and a rossi 971 357 mag. I do already have dies for 38/357 and a ton of 38 spl loaded ammo and have 45 acp dies. Thank you.
We probably travel / hike some of the same areas . Out of your choices I hate to limit myself to just a 22 . Personally the G19 is hard to beat and a 9mm hp will handle anything in our area. My personal favorite is a G29 but I tend to prefer overkill.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FN5.7

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've walked in the deep woods since I could walk, which was about 1963. Through bear woods and snake woods and lion woods and people woods. Dunno how many thousands of miles, and all of them without a gun.

That changed the first time I walked in Alaska. In the alder tunnels, looking down at that muddy track as big as my chest, even with a gun I feel like a grasshopper that landed in the bream pond.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The G30S would be a good candidate.

[Linked Image]

It's roughly the size of a G19. In fact may G19 holsters will work for it.

It is lightweight with good capacity. With a factory 10 rounder in the gun and a G21 13 round mag as a reload, you should have more than enough ammo to solve most problems.

Plus you really don't need to worry about it getting wet, muddy dusty, whatever. Not much will make them choke.

I got mine for those times when I wanted to minimize the weight I was carrying, like when packing out hind quarters in wolf/bear, big cat country.

It has proven to be a very accurate, great little gun. In fact it is quickly becoming one of my favorite .45s.

Oh yeah, Since you reload, you could run some heavy for caliber cast flat points like some 250s. That should be more than adequate for most critters you are likely to run into.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Both my arms hang at my sides in bear country. grin

But I DO carry bear spray. Sidearm, not so much...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mc, doesn't dream, he has been there done that.. Listen.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Since you are talking back pack hunting,weight might be an issue. A little pricey for my taste,but those new model Ruger Bearcats are nice little handguns. I think they come in 22 mag now,but not sure. A 22 mag is going to take care of any needs you listed.

My experience and opinion only,but I have not shot any DOA semis that don't have horendous trigger pull. I would at least want one that is single action for the 1st round

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I usually carry a G20 but I also have packed a 329pd. I have little use for a .22 unless small game is in the works. I would feel fine with a .45 of some sort (Glock or 1911 if I was willing to pack the weight), and wouldn't go smaller than a S&W shield in 9mm.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Fact.

RLTW
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
MS, I carry the conceptual twin of your pistol, the Springfield XDS .45 cal.

Primary reason is that a pal sold it for a very good price. I installed a Powder River trigger kit and sear. It is very compact for the power yield, yet not miserable to shoot.

I like the concept of the small .44 Special, but ballistics are just not much different than the .45 ACP.

I load a hard cast 200 grainer with 7.5 grains of Power Pistol for practice, 8.5 grains for bear carry. Nightstand load is 180 Golden Saber hollow points from Remington.

It's not the best pistol for any specific use, but it's damned good for every use.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
And another thing smile

Since the topic is backpack carry, I'll blather on with more opinions supported by nothing more than mere survival, the ability to type, some top-notch professional handgun training, and many large dead animals.

The design of the pistol in question is not nearly as important as the ability to bring it to bear instantly. (That's about the slickest possible pun there!)

I carry the holster on the outside of the hip belt of my pack. It's less than ideal, but is the only way I can get to a pistol RFN (Right Frikkin Now). A chest rig would work also, but I'm not good with those.

Remember the video of the mauled AK hunter? He didn't have time to raise the rifle that was already in hand. Any attempt to dig out a pistol during a bear charge would result in the blackest of comedy.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by huntsman22
a good, lightweight .22. A tacsol buckmark/ruger or something more compact like a browning 1911-22 or ruger sr-22.....

This. For a few reasons.

A: Everyone needs a good 22 pistol.
B: Meat for the pot can be quietly taken with a 22 without alerting everyone and everything.
C: A 22 is great fun for casual plinking during a backpacking trip to pass the time.
D: A very shootable 22 capable of good field accuracy can be had in a very packable weight. The additional benefit is the weight of extra ammo; a lot of extra ammo can be carried for little weight penalty.
E: A lightweight 22 is easier to shoot than most comparable weight centerfire pistols or revolvers, which makes practice easier and more fun, which makes for a better shooter!
F: A 22 LR will handily take down any of the threats you mentioned. If defense against enraged AK toting methed-out Somali pirates or man eating tigers was an issue, perhaps your Glock 19 would be in order....but a 22 will work fine on random varmints.

Since you already own the Glock 19, the other guns mentioned won’t be of any real advantage, unless you’re simply looking to buy a new gun. Another option is a 22 LR upper for your Glock.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 12/24/16.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Glock 19.

Change bullets to fit the application: Defense against people, Defense against bear (Buffalo Bore hard cast), plinking, small game, etc.

This works for me too, scariest critter in the woods is man.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Having just acquired a Glock 20, thats going to be our newest answer. Easy to shoot well, not a lot of recoil but more power than a 45 acp... Will handle just about anything and a full load is 16 rounds. Can't really ask for more.

Glock 17 would be 18 rounds ? Of a milder round. Can't see using a 19 when a 20 is around.

But then I've never liked small rounds that much either.

But OTOH I'm dumb enough to see that a TI 22 of some type would be handy small game too...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You already got the 19 and since you have dies and a bunch of load 38 special ammo, I'd get a Ruger LCRx, 38 special with a 3" barrel.

Weighs a little over a pound ready to roll. Hard to beat a 38 for shooting lots and cheap.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carry one of these 357's when I'm in the woods.

[Linked Image]

Dan

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Very light, very accurate small game getter. Volquartsen innards help a lot.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd get a Ruger LCRx, 38 special with a 3" barrel.

Weighs a little over a pound ready to roll. Hard to beat a 38 for shooting lots and cheap.

Dang, that is light for a 3-inch revolver. May have to check one out. I still like the .357 doing double-duty as a .38 though.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Mine shoots well at 20 yards with 160gr bullets.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice. I believe I may have to check one of those out.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

[Linked Image]
Mine loves 358429 173 gr keith. I shoot about 4-6k rounds of 38 a year and have given my LCRs a good ringing. I've been impressed with them. I think a short LCRX in 22 or a 3" LCRX 22 would be great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LCR 22lr or a 22/45 if you want an auto.

I carried my Witness in 38 super on a hunt this year. Fugger is heavy. I'm thinking I'd like to trade it for a G43. Just don't have much use for full size autos.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I carry a 360pd, 13oz loaded with 5 rounds of .357. Unnoticeable as it rides on my belt. Never once made the "I won't bring this next time" list after a pack trip.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Lot of folks might have more experience in the backcountry. But I grew up near Chitina and have spent most of my life in rural Alaska. I have been stuck here in Fairbanks for the last 12 years but for the most part I still get out every summer and do rambling in the woods.
I suggest a hi-point 45ACP. Cheap, ugly. Good enough for Black Bear or any bear. Goes bang every time. You would be hard pressed to killed one of them. I have all nature of handguns and rifles but the hipoint fills a certain niche of a gun that you could abuse to the end of the earth and paint it when you get tired of its color.

You run into Deliverance you can pop em and then drop it into a river and nobody would know. A little bird told me that its hard to match the ballistic profile on them.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't usually carry a handgun when I am hunting.

When I do, I usually carry a 4 in S&W 651 .22 WMR. Mostly so I can legally take grouse. I switch to a .357 Taurus TI Tracker/9mm/40 when packing meat when I don't have a long gun.

Based on your considerations I would recommend you consider a Ruger LCRX
3in .38 Special +P. 17 oz, enough power, versatile, etc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carried a G20 for a couple years whenever I did not have a long gun with me.

Two years ago I picked up a G29 and since have moved the 20 down the road.

165gr hp for stray dogs and humans, 230gr fmj while picking berries or hauling meat.

When my first daughter was a little over 2, I had her along looking for mushrooms in the cottonwoods by the river. Two agressive mastiff mixes had me with my daughter on my shoulders and my walking stick as my only defense.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Father's last duty weapon was a 2.5" S&W Model 66. Took the wood grips off it replaced them with rubber, perfect pack-pack firearm.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I already have a g19.

Nothing wrong with that for a general purpose outdoors sidearm.

I carry a Glock 17 in the outdoors quite often. If you practice at 2-3 yards you can work out your 'snake hold'.

I carry 147gr XTPs, handloaded to about 1100 fps.

Sure the 9mm has it's limitations, and I have other choices too. I just like the Glock 17.

I screwed up the chance for a really cool rattlesnake skin by not knowing my 2-3yd hold with my G22. The snake still died, but not as I had planned. Lesson learned.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Barkoff
My Father's last duty weapon was a 2.5" S&W Model 66. Took the wood grips off it replaced them with rubber, perfect pack-pack firearm.

[Linked Image]

That is a great revolver. Had one with standard grips until the 2.5" barrel was deemed illegal here.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

I stopped at the store and fondled one of these yesterday. Shockingly light. Great size for a knock around pack gun. Nice trigger.

I think one will follow me home soon.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Mac-
Is that a bottle opener on the tail of that knife?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner

[Linked Image]

I stopped at the store and fondled one of these yesterday. Shockingly light. Great size for a knock around pack gun. Nice trigger.

I think one will follow me home soon.

They are a little 'feathery', ain't they. Those LCR's do have nice triggers. Granted it's an ugly little gun, but I like it much.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Also, I have a Simply Rugged holster for it, but I also tried it out in a Bianchi 5BH for a 2 1/2" K frame and it fit just fine.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Mac-

Cold Steel Pocket Bushman... That is part of the locking mechanism. One has to pull on the cord to unlock the knife to close it. The tail is there for one handed closing allowing one to catch the tail on a pocket to unlock the knife...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"I would say a snakes, coyotes, possible rabid racoon would be the only threats."

If that is all you are likely to come across, unless you just want to spend some money to have another gun I would stay with the Glock 19. Find a carry system you like and spend the money you saved on ammo....

Bob

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the new 5-shot Rugers in .44 Special would be a good option.

I regularly carry a Rossi 720 with 2 loads of snake-shot and 3 240 grain SWCs.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't live in bear country or anything but i am pretty sure you should never go in the woods hunting or hiking unarmed.

Why?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
I don't live in bear country or anything but i am pretty sure you should never go in the woods hunting or hiking unarmed.

Why?
I don't go out of the house unarmed much less in the woods. My personal opinion though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why?

Brad, if you ever tried to enjoy the back country of coastal Oregon I am sure you would understand the need to be armed. Imagine Calif is more of the same.
Picture meth labs, pot grows etc...

Montana not so much, unless bears sceer ya. wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why?

Because it's fun to shoot stuff!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Why?

Because Brad only needs a rape whistle. $10 says the ball is missing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Why?

Because Brad only needs a rape whistle. $10 says the ball is missing.
LMFAO!!!!!!!! hahaha

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zillion reasonable options for eastern woods bumming including your glock 19. After that, Cost:benefit goes to Ruger LCR .38spl if was me.

After that cost goes up, but i used s&w 642 on the compact side (steel, real sights=shootable) and on fuller side but light, the s&w m66 4" is hard to beat.

Of course, an old Bearcat in the case you describe, in all reality, would be both fine and a hoot. Have the latter three; would like a LCR too on principle

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I carry the Taurus poly protector. Its a 5 shot revolver in 357. It has a fiber optic front sight. It weighs just under 6 oz loaded. I live and hunt with grizzlys. Carry it always. Never know its there. Custom cross draw belt holster.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RJM
Mac-

Cold Steel Pocket Bushman... That is part of the locking mechanism. One has to pull on the cord to unlock the knife to close it. The tail is there for one handed closing allowing one to catch the tail on a pocket to unlock the knife...

Bob

Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by tikkanut

44 Special....

cast....jacketed......shot capsules....

[Linked Image]

I had on of these in 45 Colt, wouldn't mind having another one.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The G30S would be a good candidate.

[Linked Image]

It's roughly the size of a G19. In fact may G19 holsters will work for it.

It is lightweight with good capacity. With a factory 10 rounder in the gun and a G21 13 round mag as a reload, you should have more than enough ammo to solve most problems.
Plus you really don't need to worry about it getting wet, muddy dusty, whatever. Not much will make them choke.

I got mine for those times when I wanted to minimize the weight I was carrying, like when packing out hind quarters in wolf/bear, big cat country.

It has proven to be a very accurate, great little gun. In fact it is quickly becoming one of my favorite .45s.

Oh yeah, Since you reload, you could run some heavy for caliber cast flat points like some 250s. That should be more than adequate for most critters you are likely to run into.

[Linked Image]

Corbon makes a 165grhp with a velocity of 1250fps. Works well in the model 30

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RJM
Mac-

Bob

Thanks.

U R welcome...

When I visited Mackay in 2014 that was the only knife I brought with me. It is the toughest folder I have ever used. He saw it, liked it and that is how he ended up with one... Can usually be found for around $30.00...

Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atse
I carry the Taurus poly protector. Its a 5 shot revolver in 357. It has a fiber optic front sight. It weighs just under 6 oz loaded. I live and hunt with grizzlys. Carry it always. Never know its there. Custom cross draw belt holster.

This one here?

http://www.taurususa.com/product-de...r&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=PR2

Do you mean just under 26 oz loaded?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I feel better bumming around with a revolver. One little walk that turned into a swim has me carrying my G19, in kydex. Have even cut wood carrying the thing. Take it down, blast of air, quick wipe off, done.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glock 43 has been riding a lot recently. Been eyeing the Charter arms 4" Target bulldog in .44 special. Got dies, brass and bullets...just waiting on the work bonus to show.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hadn't really considered carrying my G43 in the woods, but if you want a decent level of power in an extremely compact, lightweight package, it makes a lot of sense. S&W Shield would be an excellent, but less expensive, alternative.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Glock 19 became obsolete for me when I got a 43. There have just been a few occassions where I would have liked to had a cheap/stainless .44 special along.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My G19 was not displaced by my G43 as the 19 is easier to shoot and has twice the capacity. However, the 43 keeps me from being lazy about carrying. It is so slim and light, I have no excuse not to be armed. All that aside,my G20 is generally what I carry in the mountains.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I carry a little 2" Rossi 38spc. revolver while in the back country. It's five shot, I load four with bullets and the last with a shot shell for snakes. I'm not in grizzly country, but more concerned with the two legged wackos.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think a 3" SP101 357 mag is pretty handy, just to have something. Cylinder is long enough to carry a 180 HC, or bird shot or whatever. I use a Simply Rugged holster with it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It all depends on my mood. I tote glock 20 sometimes, bisley Blackhawk 45, 4" 629 smith and recently bought a puplic defender judge that I carry a lot. Here in sc in the swamps we have lotsof cottonmouths and other slithering critters. A couple bird shotshells followed by some 45 colts will handle snakes anda boar hog if I happen upon one. My g19 sits on the nightstand and my g43 rides in the truck console. Of them all I feel most confident with the glock 20. Good firepower and with 2 mags you should be able to get yourself out of most situations id think

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
that said id really like to have a g29sf. Probably do everything I ever needed

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have never felt the need to carry in the woods of Colorado unless I am hunting. If I am hunting then the extra weight of a sidearm is a waste of my energy. Carry if it makes you feel safer.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am simply unable to grasp the thought process that says carrying a weapon is unnecessary, even silly....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I will say that twice I've returned to elk carcasses to pack meat and found sizable black bears there, chowing down.

I was glad to have my pistol, but even more glad that I didn't have to use it.

The one time a blackie came in to my cow calling was a little more unnerving, he didn't haul ass like the others.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I am simply unable to grasp the thought process that says carrying a weapon is unnecessary, even silly....

Me too. I carry daily and being in the woods is no different. I'm more worried about the pot growers and the meth cookers in the woods than I am the likely hood of a bear attack.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I often carry a 3 3/4 inch barrel new model Ruger Vaquero in 357 Mag. in a Mernickle cross draw holster. This rig is so comfortable to carry I forget I am wearing it. Or I carry a Glock 20. Just depends upon where I am and what i am doing.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by jds44

Me too. I carry daily and being in the woods is no different. I'm more worried about the pot growers and the meth cookers in the woods than I am the likely hood of a bear attack.

With the marijuana be legal now in Colorado.More and more grow spots are popping up on public land and the people that are doing the growing are not pillars of society

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i'll have to agree with the folks citing trouble
of the two-legged kind. already been there done
that. once when carrying a single shot handgun
on public land. i was happy to have some large
trees to hide behind, but was unhappy about having
on a blaze vest. the remote places seem to attract
low lifes as well as sportsmen. also, the pot
farms and meth labs are sometimes in places where
you wouldn't expect them to be.

better to have it on you than to be wishing you
hadn't left it back home in the nightstand.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
S&W 329PD gets carried in grizz country along with bear spray. Easy to carry. Practice with 165 grain .44spl loads. Buffalo Bore 255 hard cast are manageable and designed for it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
For the power to weight ratio, the 10mm Glock 20 makes sense.

Tough and dependable, 550 ft. pounds times 15 is nothing to sneeze at. That's a lot of firepower in a handgun.

DF

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You already got the 19 and since you have dies and a bunch of load 38 special ammo, I'd get a Ruger LCRx, 38 special with a 3" barrel.

Excellent point. The LCR's are nice guns and easy to carry.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for a lightweight 22. A ruger SP101 8 shot 4.2" would fit the bill, as would a Ruger LCR in 22.

I had both. Sold the SP101 as it didn't get carried. The LCR I've used as a dispatch tool on the winter trapline, and it'll be good snake medicine while kayaking (loaded with shotshell 22's).

The LCR is feather light and since it's polymer, I don't really care that much to get it dirty or potentially wet. Accuracy is about what you'd expect from a snubby double action revolver - coke can at 10 yards if I concentrate. Certainly minute of snake at 6 feet.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
just depends on what Im doing.

-When im fishing, its usually my Glock 20.

-Out running, its usually a g19 (mostly just thinking about wolves)

-Handgun hunting or when I just have a 22 rifle, I have a SBH 454.

Hunting, Rafting, Backpacking, hiking, camping etc, its either the g20 or my 2.75" redhawk 44mag.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I also have a single 6 convertible so I can shoot 22lr or 22mag.

Thats always nice when Im out camping.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was squirrel hunting about a month ago with a scoped, bolt action 22. After meeting up with a Rottweiler I won't get caught in the woods with out my .38,.357,9 or one of my .45s with me. Dog about scared this old man to death.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ruger just came out with the 3" LCRx in 22lr. I think Im going to need one of these. Should make a good gun to keep in the pack.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just remember you can't call 911 in the woods so be prepared for whatever threat you think you may encounter. I ALWAYS have a sidearm when hunting, 99% of the time it is a Glock 19. Bears are low on my priority list. I have had several run ins deep into public land with dirtbags, including one encounter in Utah with a very famous guide and his henchmen that almost resulted in a gun battle when they decided that only their client could hunt a public area. I'll gladly take the weight penalty of a pistol.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For taking a walk this does not apply. If working or fishing, I prefer a semi, G19, if it gets full of sawdust or dirt, or if I end up swimming or rolling in the muddy slop, it is easy to clean with compressed air or a water hose. Revolvers are harder to detail clean and lube. Leather verses plastic holster choices follow the same thought process.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Most of the time I pack one of two short .44s. The S&W 329 PD is nice to pack but I hate shooting it. The little Super Blackhawk isn't bad to pack and it's a lot more pleasant to shoot. I mostly pack the Ruger if I'm doing a day hike and the S&W for backpacking.

Recently I picked up another Super-B, one of the .454 Bisleys. There's something out there in one of my spots. Haven't seen it. Heard it twice. I don't know what it is but it's "wrong", way too loud, and weirdly different than any animal I've ever seen or heard.

For hunting, the simplest thing is to just pack an adequate rifle instead of a pea shooter.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
For general woods carry and when I carry backpacking I carry a Smith 360-1. its a scandium/titainiun J frame with a 3.125" barrel in 357mag. at 12oz its nearly painless to carry ( not so much to shoot).

I would like a matching 317, but haven't bit on one yet. If smith would make a 22mag version I would be all over it.

Of course I am an east coaster so my likely targets would be 2 legged, or maybe coyote. While I see black bears frequently, other than wanting my food they seem pretty benign so far. I think if I were in grizzly country I would think Glock 20 or maybe a 4" 45 colt of some flavor.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I was attacked this week by a miniature striped bear.

I was lucky to have my G43 on me.

[Linked Image]

True story smile

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Even the Supreme Court Ruled you are the one responsible for your own safety. I carry in town, I will carry out of town. Only question is what am I going to carry.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Most of the time I pack one of two short .44s. The S&W 329 PD is nice to pack but I hate shooting it. The little Super Blackhawk isn't bad to pack and it's a lot more pleasant to shoot. I mostly pack the Ruger if I'm doing a day hike and the S&W for backpacking.

Recently I picked up another Super-B, one of the .454 Bisleys. There's something out there in one of my spots. Haven't seen it. Heard it twice. I don't know what it is but it's "wrong", way too loud, and weirdly different than any animal I've ever seen or heard.

For hunting, the simplest thing is to just pack an adequate rifle instead of a pea shooter.

Tom

Interesting. What do you think it might be? I'm a fellow northern Californian.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Martyf

I don't have the foggiest idea. That's what bothers me.

I grew up in the woods, my family had a fishing lodge 40 miles from town. We weren't merely rural, we were "mountain." Last house on the road surrounded by National Forest land. I spent my spare time hunting and fishing. In high school I was a biology geek, spent most of my spare time in the lab studying plants and animals. Even in college, despite switching to computers, I took as much biology as I could fit in. I should know every damned critter out there ... I don't know this one.

People may laugh at this, but I don't think it is bigfoot. I've seen 2, probably a 3rd. I follow up on reports, I go look for them. Despite KNOWING they're there, I give less than 50% chance that's what I heard.

It doesn't sound like them. No scream, no yell, no holler. From 2-1/4 miles minimum, it was a loud "ahhhhh" sound like the doc tells you to make, maybe a little bit lower, more "breath-y" (if you've had voice lessons, you'll understand), and at that distance, still had a remaining volume about equivalent of two people standing 10 feet apart talking at a comfortable level.

I have that on audio recorder. smile I may well be crazy, but my audio recorder isn't, it's just a machine.

I dunno. I really don't know. I can't think of anything reasonable that it could be. I'm not even sure I can think of anything UN-reasonable it could be, but I'm stuck with that audio recording.

There IS something out there. Heard it twice. I know where the first one came from, maybe the 2nd, so I'm using trail cams to try to catch it. I don't really know what else to do.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by STS45
Just remember you can't call 911 in the woods so be prepared for whatever threat you think you may encounter. I ALWAYS have a sidearm when hunting, 99% of the time it is a Glock 19..... I'll gladly take the weight penalty of a pistol.

This

And, Get a Hill People Gear chest pack.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/ProductID/35/Default.aspx

John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
HPG chest back is the best thing since sliced bread.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don't have the foggiest idea. That's what bothers me.

I grew up in the woods, my family had a fishing lodge 40 miles from town. We weren't merely rural, we were "mountain." Last house on the road surrounded by National Forest land. I spent my spare time hunting and fishing. In high school I was a biology geek, spent most of my spare time in the lab studying plants and animals. Even in college, despite switching to computers, I took as much biology as I could fit in. I should know every damned critter out there ... I don't know this one.

People may laugh at this, but I don't think it is bigfoot. I've seen 2, probably a 3rd. I follow up on reports, I go look for them. Despite KNOWING they're there, I give less than 50% chance that's what I heard.

It doesn't sound like them. No scream, no yell, no holler. From 2-1/4 miles minimum, it was a loud "ahhhhh" sound like the doc tells you to make, maybe a little bit lower, more "breath-y" (if you've had voice lessons, you'll understand), and at that distance, still had a remaining volume about equivalent of two people standing 10 feet apart talking at a comfortable level.

I have that on audio recorder. smile I may well be crazy, but my audio recorder isn't, it's just a machine.

I dunno. I really don't know. I can't think of anything reasonable that it could be. I'm not even sure I can think of anything UN-reasonable it could be, but I'm stuck with that audio recording.

There IS something out there. Heard it twice. I know where the first one came from, maybe the 2nd, so I'm using trail cams to try to catch it. I don't really know what else to do.

Tom

I ain’t saying that it is a mountain lion but your description reminds me of some sounds I've heard them make: weird and carries loudly way farther than I can explain. I've heard them make at least ten widely different sounds, from whistles to chattering to owl hoots to a breathy wail that wasn't super loud up close but carried way over half a mile without losing hardly any volume.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
No, it's not a mountain lion, nor is it deer, elk, bear, coyote, or wolf. All are present but it's not any of them. It would be more likely to be geological or atmospheric than any of those .. and it's not them, either.

I hope this is not too harsh, I just don't know how else to say this ... this is not a search to just make the question go away, to sweep it under the mental carpet with a comforting self-lie, mine is a search for CORRECT answers. For now, the correct answer is "I don't know." That's what it will stay until I actually do know. That's what the trail cams and audio gear are for.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In wilderness areas with little access I often carry nothing. In areas where there are a lot of tails, 4 wheelers etc. I usually carry a 9mm S&W shield. Have run into some pretty creepy dudes lately.

Been seeing a LOT of lions and sign this winter and spring so might be carrying the shield a little more.

Lefty

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
If I wanted to pack a handgun and be lightweight, I would pack my XDS 9 in an OWB holster.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

There IS something out there. Heard it twice.
Tom

I want to hear more about bigfoot. Apparently lot's of people have seen one, even more have heard one. They have foot prints and various "evidence" but it's still up in the air.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I have never felt the need to carry in the woods of Colorado unless I am hunting. If I am hunting then the extra weight of a sidearm is a waste of my energy. Carry if it makes you feel safer.

I think BeanMan has the right idea.

I went on my first wilderness backpack trip in 1958. I've probably gone on an average of 5 or 6 per year, every year, since then. So that makes several hundred trips into the wilderness. Two or three times that many nights and days. I have never been threatened by man or beast in the backcountry.

I own a Ruger SP101 .357mag. Lots of people say it's a great concealed carry revolver. But I never carry it when backpacking or hiking in the wilderness. Too heavy. Not worth the effort. There are some places in inner cities where I might carry it. But not in the outdoors.

I have carried my Ruger Blackhawk .357mag instead of a rifle, when returning to retrieve the remainder of a carcass.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I guess I'm just not that paranoid.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well all you have to do is be wrong once. Maybe you are a tough guy. Scare everything out there. Never a boy scout I take it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by KC
I have never been threatened by man or beast in the backcountry.

I have. Actually, at the trailhead. I've also come back to my truck to find the gas tank empty from some lowlife sumbitch with a siphon.

Trailheads are where you're most likely to run into trouble. When I'm returning to the vehicle, I like to stop a little short where I can see what's going on. I feel much better doing that with my 19 oz. .357.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been more than happy to have either a S&W 357 or a XD 45 on a few occasions. I don't even think about hiking without a pistol, to be quite honest.

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Come to think of it, I've never had someone break into my house either. But that doesn't mean that the first guy who does will find me unprepared.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These work well for me. Over many a mile in various weather conditions and terrain.

Colt's Lightweight Commander .45 ACP.

[Linked Image]

Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum.

[Linked Image]

Guess they'll have to do. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
If I wanted to pack a handgun and be lightweight, I would pack my XDS 9 in an OWB holster.

Or better yet, the same pistol in .45acp. I love my XDS in .45acp!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd love to have one of those Colts.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Or better yet, the same pistol in .45acp. I love my XDS in .45acp!

I originally had an xds 45 and liked it, but decided to trade it for an xds 9 for the increased capacity, and quicker follow up shots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'd love to have one of those Colts.

I don't blame you. Mine packs mighty handily both out in the boonies or concealed out on the mean streets of a city. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

For bang-per-ounce in a weatherproof gun, consider one of the Kahr polymer pistols... I've owned several. My favorite was the P45. Don't get a P40; that is one tightly-wound snappy be-atch. BUT this only applies if a long smooth trigger pull work for you. It really doesn't for me. So I've switched to Glocks.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

There IS something out there. Heard it twice.
Tom

I want to hear more about bigfoot. Apparently lot's of people have seen one, even more have heard one. They have foot prints and various "evidence" but it's still up in the air.

Am I reading this right? You've SEEN two Bigfoots(feets?)?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah Mooner, I got that also. Not only seen two Bigfeets, but worried about some unknown critter out there!! wink

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Am I reading this right? You've SEEN two Bigfoots(feets?)?

Yes and yes.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I saw one. Many people have seen them.
I've had other experiences believed related to them as well, in my 30 years or so of deer/elk hunting.
Can't explain what they are, but know what they look like, and have seen how they act.

And there's other people on the CF who have seen them.

Last edited by Wyogal; 04/23/17.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm of the opinion that in the same way many folks hunt with too large of rifles, the same applies to their choice in sidearm. The difference is, many folks figure out a 300 Mag isn't needed for deer or elk because folks actually get a chance to hunt these animals - their experience will tell them that smaller cartridges kill just as well, and can be housed in lighter rifles, which means a more comfortable time afield.

Yet a bunch of the same guys will carry a 44 Mag or other heavy handgun for the mythical bear attack that will never happen, where a 22 or a nice light 9mm will kill stuff just fine, and be easier to carry and shoot well. Many just never get the field experience with the handgun that they do with a hunting rifle to come to this conclusion.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well all you have to do is be wrong once. Maybe you are a tough guy. Scare everything out there. Never a boy scout I take it.

That's just uncalled for. Just because someone doesn't share your view you have to resort to name calling?

My guess is more than a couple of the folks responding on this thread have never been backpacking in their lives, let alone done an actual backpack hunt.

Nice thing about America, you can pack if you want. Just don't tell me with a straight face it's necessary...

Originally Posted by Wyogal
I saw one. Many people have seen them.
I've had other experiences believed related to them as well, in my 30 years or so of deer/elk hunting.
Can't explain what they are, but know what they look like, and have seen how they act.

And there's other people on the CF who have seen them.

I'm with Wyogal and T.O.M ..seen 'em ,heard 'em. Experiences ranged from cool to scary.
Back to the thread... I have several handguns ranging from .357 to .45 colt, but I carry a Kahr 9mm loaded with 147 gn. hard cast Buffalo Bores.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So now we need to ask the question "what handgun for bigfoot??"

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No, just avoid them.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I've never needed a parachute before either, but damn sure hope to have one when I do.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never needed a parachute before either, but damn sure hope to have one when I do.

So you carry-on a parachute when you fly commercial? Likely conceal-carry a pistol too?

That won't go over well at United... grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

So you carry-on a parachute when you fly commercial? Likely conceal-carry a pistol too?

One or two condoms when in a Mexican whore house?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Wyogal
No, just avoid them.

That's no fun, I wanna see one! I bet they'd be really good hauling elk quarters.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Some funny (and not so funny) stuff here.

My thoughts:
- Agree with Tanner, I'm carrying something if I am out and about. Period.
-- What you choose and how you carry it should depend on the "potential
threats" in the area
-- Consider if you are carrying a rifle whether you need a sidearm or not
--- Can you get to/point that rifle fast enough to address said threat and
will it be handy/available when needed?
- Most probably carry too much gun, meaning heavy to carry or hard to
control
-- To steal a coined phrase, "bullets matter more than headstamps"
- Not everyone (present company included) is as proficient as they should
be with secondary gun or sidearm
- Practice carrying as well as shooting until you are 100% comfortable with
all aspects of your choosing

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did I mention the Hill People Gear chest pack?

Hide your sidearm on your chest, really easy to get to.

Never leave it behind and room for a small overnight kit, as well.

John Stark.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You didn't mention it, but that's where I carry mine.

No one I encounter knows it's there, and chicks really dig it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So now we need to ask the question "what handgun for bigfoot??"

That one's easy! A really good, powerful stun gun.

You do not want to kill Bigfoot. You want to stun him and capture him alive.

Put him in a cage, feed him bunny rabbits, raw chickens, and stuff like that and then exhibit him LIVE in every city, suburb, town, village, and hamlet in the U.S. Set up deals with one of the major teevee networks for a series of specials featuring the real-deal Bigfoot and how you nearly were killed by it until you subdued it.

Make a deal with a major studio for a feature movie about the capture staring Leonardo DeCaprio.

You'll make millions of $$$$$!!! wink

L.W.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
DiCaprio playing the part of me?

Do you really think he could pull it off?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F

Actually, yes I do carry a concealed pistol when I fly. (Which has been twice in the past 10 years.)

Last edited by firstcoueswas80; 04/24/17.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The vast majority of people have never had their house burn down, but carry insurance for it just the same.

I also thought the remark to liliysdad was pretty snarky as well.

My remark was unnecessary but true.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Can we hear more about these bigfoot sightings?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The vast majority of people have never had their house burn down, but carry insurance for it just the same.

Anybody that goes "Un-healed" or doesn't carry in today's world, whether it be hiking in the woods, or shopping in suburbia probably doesn't deserve to be in the Gene Pool.
That's why it's called survival of the fittest. Another words, be prepared or suffer the consequences of being a dumb ass.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Anybody that goes "Un-healed" or doesn't carry in today's world, whether it be hiking in the woods, or shopping in suburbia probably doesn't deserve to be in the Gene Pool.
That's why it's called survival of the fittest. Another words, be prepared or suffer the consequences of being a dumb ass.

Give me a [bleep] break.

You guys take yourselves far too seriously.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Give me a [bleep] break.

You guys take yourselves far too seriously.

So your OK with getting robbed, or your wife getting raped, or your kids being kidnapped by a pedofile because you don't want to bother with carrying concealed when you are out and about?
Sorry if you consider that as " taking myself far too seriously" !
I plan on taking care of me & mine, should, GOD forbid, some predator or Muslim POS attack my family. YMMV. wink

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/24/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They are called crime statistics for a reason. They actually happen to people.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So your OK with getting robbed, or your wife getting raped, or your kids being kidnapped by a pedofile because you don't want to bother with carrying concealed when you are out and about?

I don't believe that's what he said or meant at all. I'm sure he would not be OK with any of those things and for you to imply otherwise is in a word, bullsh**.

The choice to carry, what to carry, and when to carry is just that, a personal choice.

Personally, I like to carry in the backcountry. If for no other reason than to pot a grouse. But if someone else doesn't, more power to him.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I don't believe that's what he said or meant at all. I'm sure he would not be OK with any of those things and for you to imply otherwise is in a word, bullsh**.

The choice to carry, what to carry, and when to carry is just that, a personal choice.

Personally, I like to carry in the backcountry. If for no other reason than to pot a grouse. But if someone else doesn't, more power to him.

I didn't "IMPLY" Anything. I merely posed a question! Maybe you need to work on your reading comprehension.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I merely posed a question!

Oh, well in that case, congratulations for asking the stupidest f**king question I think I've ever read.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm more confused by those who carry in the back country, but don't around town -- where the people are. However, my choice doesn't have to be your choice.

I'm pretty sure no one wants bad stuff to happen to their families -- taking the liberty of guessing the answer to that "question". But from what I've seen of more than a few pistoleros who got their training watching Youtube (at best), their families might be safer if they weren't armed.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, this is the backpack hunting forum. Most backpack hunters have a rifle at hand, that's kind of the point of backpack hunting. So the need for another firearm is at a minimum debatable.

And I've been backpack hunting since the early 80's. So far I've never seen anyone bring the wife and kids along.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not always. Most of the time when I'm backpack hunting I'm hunting with a handgun, it's the rifle that gets left home.

(I know, I'm just being contrary again. :))

Tom

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I should have been more clear... if I am carrying a rifle- I do NOT carry a pistol. I carry a pistol when I'm hiking, scouting, guiding, etc...

Tanner

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I always carry a sidearm AND a rifle. But, I'm also in also different situation then most. I hunt very very close to the border with Mexico where multiple subjects, and subjects in close proximity where a rifle would be more a hindrance then an asset.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not always. Most of the time when I'm backpack hunting I'm hunting with a handgun, it's the rifle that gets left home.

So let me see if I understand: When you go hunting with a handgun, you bring a handgun?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep. Livin' on the edge! smile

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Can we please hear more about the Bigfeets?

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So let me see if I understand: When you go hunting with a handgun, you bring a handgun?

I think by definition that would be a yes.

John Stark.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Interesting thread

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Interesting thread

And........ grin

Cluckcluckcluckcluck

Last edited by Wyogal; 04/26/17.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
THE sidearm to have in the woods is a suppressed 22LR.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DiCaprio playing the part of me?

Do you really think he could pull it off?

Sure. Leo didn't receive an Academy Award for nothing! Hell, the studio would pay you big bucks as a technical advisor. wink

L.W.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm glad I checked back into this thread.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Two boys age 5 and 7 can be noisy. We almost pulled off a kill of a big muley in 2015, but he hung up just a little too far out. Wife wasn't with, so full points not earned.

Well, this is the backpack hunting forum. Most backpack hunters have a rifle at hand, that's kind of the point of backpack hunting. So the need for another firearm is at a minimum debatable.

And I've been backpack hunting since the early 80's. So far I've never seen anyone bring the wife and kids along.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In any forum, these are always interesting threads. My take is: I'm glad to have fellow gun owners and 2A supporters in the woods. Maybe you just like your pistol, or it's a work of fine craftsmanship, or it's your favorite one, or it was handed down by a family member, or you have real protection needs. Who cares. When I'm in the mountains of Colorado, I'm always carrying and it's usually one of two "woods" guns. A Kimber 1911 10mm customized by Luke Volkmann or a G20 with a 5.5" Jarvis barrel. The Glock sees the most use. Both put out a over 600ft.lbs. of energy with factory loads and close to 700ft.lbs. with my reloads - chronographed, not estimated. Never had to use either, but have had a close call with a bear where the G20 was in hand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went the first 20 years of backpacking with a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 Mag. Then I found a double-barrelled 45LC/.410 Leinad and carried that for a few trips. Ugh! I kept bird shot in one barrel and 000 Buck in the other. I never had to fire either piece for anything but recreational plinking, so I really can't say one was better than the other. However, the Leinad cured me of ever wanting another .45LC/.410 combination gun. It fired the birdshot into a 10 ft pattern at 10 feet. Even light 45 LC were painful. Therefore you can say it saved me the stupidity of buying a Taurus Judge or its ilk. I'd say that was enough.

I now own a Ruger LCR in 357 Mag and carry it daily. When I hike, it's with me, and I really could not ask for anything more. I am either carrying that, the 357 Mag Blackhawk or a Marlin 1894 in 357 Mag. My main concern is coyote and the odd feral cat.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

G26/27 for the size, ease of carry and the benefit of double stack magazine... plus you can keep an extra mag handy with another 13/15/17 rounds if you wanted.

If you want a wheel gun (the biggest argument is reliability and the ability to load different ammo, ie snake shot and hollow points) then I would look hard at the SW 640 pro series-- its a 38/357, all stainless construction with excellent night sights and a good trigger.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I got this S&W M60 Pro Shop model, lightweight and accurate. Also has a tritium dot on the front sight.

[Linked Image]

John(dog)

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by CCH
I'm more confused by those who carry in the back country, but don't around town -- where the people are. However, my choice doesn't have to be your choice.

In my experience I have encountered significantly more sketchy situations out camping and hiking around national forest/BLM/pub land (not technically wilderness backcountry as I believe you are referring) than I have in the city. Something about the sense of "no ones watching" while being out in the forest can draw out the worst in some people. In fact, the only two times Ive ever been robbed were camping. So while I may not carry 100% in the city I am ALWAYS armed in the woods.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
personally, Im a fan of the Glock 32 in 357 Sig. (In non-griz woods) Lots of firepower in a compact rig, and from experience I know they will shut down a 300LB wild boar. In a revolver format I really like my model 60 with a 3" barrel. In griz country spray is better, but a S&W 629 mountain gun in 44M is my last line of defense.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is this thread still going? smile

The opening line reads: "I don't live in bear country but I am pretty sure YOU should never go in the woods hunting or hiking unarmed." (Emphasis added.)

If the original poster had said, "... I am pretty sure that I should not go in the woods... unarmed." it would have been true but would not have lasted ten responses. It is almost always contentious when we start telling everybody what they should do.

FWIW, I do live in bear country, as in LOTS of bears, and when picking berries, fishing, scouting terrain etc. I am not armed outside of hunting season. I encountered three black bears while picking berries last summer, at close range. I carried a sidearm in my younger days and found it more weight and nuisance than of value to me. That's my decision in my AO and not even recommended to anyone else. Make your own call.

I've been threatened by grizzlies and black bears, a large bull moose, a mountain goat, a Stellar sea lion bull and assorted other critters. The goat at 10 inches and sea lion at two feet (I was in a kayak) scared me the most and I would have killed those two had I been carrying. On most of the bears, moose etc. I had a rifle in hand. Of different and deeper concern to me was a wild bunch of drunks one night at a trail head bivy my son and I did before starting a hike at dawn. In such areas I can see carrying and I might if I move back. When living where it is legal, I always have a concealed carry permit though have not carried. Lotsa factors and bravo to your personal choice for you.

Last edited by Okanagan; 05/19/17. Reason: typo and explanatory detail
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Revolvers have two advantages over autoloaders: they don't jam, and they can shoot shot loads for the snakes the OP mentioned. Not light, but I like the Ruger Single Ten and the Super Blackhawk.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Can't quite recall last time my AR or my semi handguns jammed, but I"m sure it did happen at some point.

Funniest part, we shoot snake shells out of the 1911 kimbers in 45 quite often....

Glock 20 and 329PD are probably the only guns that we'll ever carry anymore backpack wise unless one of us ditches to LIGHT and hopefully suppressed 22 pistol for small game...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by longbarrel
Revolvers have two advantages over autoloaders: they don't jam, and they can shoot shot loads for the snakes the OP mentioned. Not light, but I like the Ruger Single Ten and the Super Blackhawk.

Generally speaking yes, revolvers are a reliable option, but when they do jam it's catastrophic. Ever had a bullet move forward out of it's case and protrude out the front of the cylinder? It locks the gun up. Can't turn the cylinder, can't pull the hammer, can't pull the trigger, and most times can't open the cylinder. I think every type of pistol has it's kryptonite, and each has it's pros and cons. I do like that a revolver will fire if pressed against an animal. I've carried both, but almost always end up with a Glock20.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've had DA revolvers jam up from unburned powder collecting under the extractor star. Also from ejector rods backing out.

It can happen.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If only Toyota made handguns. Guess a Glock will have to do.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Oh yeah, revolvers "jam". My Ruger 357 mag failed me at the range. It got powder or something in it and locked up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be advised Speer snake loads in 9mm and .40 cycle just fine in my G23 and G19.

I've not tried it in my G29 but will; it fire extract, eject and feed .40 bullet loads reliably w factory barrel.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I carry a 44 mag at a minimum in elk country, either a SW629-4 MG or a SW329PD in a Simply Rugged pancake either on my belt or strapped to my packs hip belt if backpack hunting. Enough to deal with predators of the two and four legged kind.

God Bless America!
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, this was interesting to read. You'd think the woods or the suburbs was like stepping into the hindu kush or walking the ho chi minh trail. I have my CC, and I'm all for the option, but to think it's necessary seems excessive to me. Nice to have, sure, but I think it gets blown out of proportion. Lots can go wrong in life, things a sidearm can solve are way, way down the list.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
More things can go wrong when you're packing meat on your back, hanging it in camp, and returning to a kill site.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
More things can go wrong when you're packing meat on your back, hanging it in camp, and returning to a kill site.

That part I agree with! When you find these as you approach the carcass from the day before it's nice to have something. And it motivates one to pack very quickly and leave the area!

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by viking
Oh yeah, revolvers "jam". My Ruger 357 mag failed me at the range. It got powder or something in it and locked up.

I haven't had a lot of revolvers "jam" on me. But the couple that did, were double action revolvers. I have never had a Single Action revolver "jam" up on me. And I have a few of them. That's what I mostly carry in the bush.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've had half burned powder kernals, usually 2400, get under the extractor of a DA revolver and tie it up.

The only issue I've had with a SA revolver was with a Ruger super blackhawk. If that little spring-loaded plunger inside under the hammer gets rust in the hole so it can't move, like from factory bluing that wasn't cleaned out well enough, the hammer won't come clear back. It's ... disconcerting. Its one of the things I disassemble now and clean thoroughly when I get a new Ruger single action.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I know I'm stating the obvious, and not meant in a condescending way at all... but regular cleaning and maintenance helps with powder and/carbon fouling and other mechanical related failures with my firearms. but yes I've experienced the same thing in my DA revolvers. I just make sure and give 'em a good cleaning before I carry them. Bullets jumping crimp is a tough one to prevent, even with proper crimp and tension. I've had that happen when shooting really hot hard cast bullets a couple of times and it turns the revolver into a paperweight. Never had that happen with the specialty factory loads from Grizzly, Buffalo Bore or Garrett...

I carry a side arm (usually a DA or SA revolver) in the backcountry, usually only during archery season. Never had to drop the hammer on anything, but did draw it once thinking I might have to use it (but frankly I probably didn't) I took a huge 7'6" black bear in Alaska in 2013 that was on a hot sow. Boar ended up dying at the base of a tall tree right on the banks of the Tanana river and the sow just would not leave her man. Every time I'd approach she'd pop her jaws, woof, sling some dirt around and stand her ground, once even climbing up the tree a ways and putting on a real show... I wasn't giving up my bear and luckily she lost interest and finally moved on (drama queen)... but it was tense for a while! So with that exception, carrying in the field just makes me sleep better at night. I know it's extra weight, but like others here I look at it as an insurance policy... one I hope I never have to use. If I'm being honest, bear spray is probably a better option, but it just makes me feel more manly carrying a piece on my hip when I'm back in he sticks! 😳

God Bless America!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've had a S&W Airweight (317-3) consistently lock up on me. This is a little ol' 22 rimfire.

It turns out that it specifically did not like Wolf Match Target ammo. It would bulge out the base of the case after firing (every single time) and thus lock up the cylinder- having to use a mallet to open the cylinder. Any other ammo that I had used was fine except for that Wolf ammo.

Last edited by alukban; 06/27/17.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by redfoxx
I carry a 44 mag at a minimum in elk country, either a SW629-4 MG or a SW329PD in a Simply Rugged pancake either on my belt or strapped to my packs hip belt if backpack hunting. Enough to deal with predators of the two and four legged kind.

What do you carry at the maximum?

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've carried a number of different firearms over the years. Everything from an old cheap buffalo scout .22 to a Stainless 6" Colt .357.

For me, it mostly depended on what I was doing and where I was going. When I was a teen in the 1970's and trapping, it was the
.22lr buffalo scout. Loaded with .22 shorts. Only used to put a critter out of it's misery.

Residing in Arizona, after years of carrying a heavy pistol and having to pull my britches up every 50 ft, I've come to appreciate
my little Kel-tec PMR-30 .22 WMR.

It holds 30 rounds, functions flawlessly, and is more accurate than I am. With a spare magazine, that's 60 rounds of ammo.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by longbarrel
Revolvers have two advantages over autoloaders: they don't jam,

I hope your rude awakening doesn't come at the wrong time.

Dave

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Originally Posted by redfoxx

What do you carry at the maximum?

Custom single action Ruger 5-shot conversions chambered in either .475 or .500 Linebaugh... also in Simply Rugged pancake holsters. As John Linebaugh says... "powerful, practical and packable". The .475 is from Linebaugh, the .500 from Reeder. Both are fantastic packing Guns, albeit single actions.

God Bless America!
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 450yukon, 13 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,384
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.