Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I wanted to throw this out there to see what others thought would be my best options for elk hunting with the Barnes TTSX. I have a number of rifles that I alternate on my hunts and it’s mostly based on what captures my fancy for the day. They include a Win. .30-06, pre-64 Featherweight .308, Rem. Mountain Guide 7mm-08, and a Rem. Faux Ti .270. Every one of the rifles shoots sub-MOA with the TTSX.....so I got that going for me. wink

Here is what I currently use for bullet weights with each rifle:
.30-06 – 150 grain
.308 – 150 grain
7mm-08 – 120 grain
.270 – 130 grain

I think I’m pretty much settled on the 130 grain TTSX for the .270, but I was wondering what folks thought about shooting the 130 grain as well for the 30 calibers, and the 140 grain for the 7mm-08.

I’ve basically operated on the assumption that a little more velocity is important to open the bullets, hence the question about dropping weight on the 30 calibers. That same assumption is also why I didn’t jump up to the 140 grain for the 7mm-08. I never shoot over 300 yards, and most often I’ll close the distance to less than 200 yards.

I know there are other bullets that might be better suited to the task but I don’t see myself deviating from an all copper bullet. I’m a Toxicologist so that definitely colors my opinions on lead ingestion both for my family and for secondary exposure via the gut pile. With that rationale as background for my bullet choice, what are your thoughts? Thanks folks.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you are shooting elk, any one of the above could be your Huckleberry.....

I wouldn't hesitate with any of them.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm with Ingwe on the bullet weights would work. I tend to run heavier, but then I shoot further at times and I still like tossing a bowling ball rather than ping pong, but there is no doubt that light works. Especially if choosing your shots.

But I could care less about a few lead frags either.... its not killed how many billions of people already over time.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
If you are shooting elk, any one of the above could be your Huckleberry.....

I wouldn't hesitate with any of them.

^^^^What ingwe said^^^^.

Everything you listed will work fine if properly placed.
At the ranges you mentioned, I would personally opt for the 140gr in the 7mm-08, but that's just a personal preference thing. There is no significant difference in trajectory at those ranges.
Be advised that you may limited to only going to a lighter TTSX bullet in the 270 Win. if it has the standard 1-10" barrel twist. A 150gr Barnes often will not stabilize in that twist in lower elevations (it might at high elevation - just have to try it), but the 110TTSX would also work, much like the 120gr in 7mm-08.
I'd probably just use what was most accurate in my gun at those ranges.
Good Luck,
-Ted smile

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd leave the 7-08 and the .270 as is and switch to 130 in the other two.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
From what you have described, I would not change a thing.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Take your pick !

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
168 ttsx in 06

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Only have experience with the 7mm-08, but the 120 or 140 gr TTSX will work great with your self-imposed 300 yd max.

Last edited by bludog; 12/26/16.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Like you, I shoot which ever rifle happens to wind up in my hand that day. I shoot exclusively copper, but not exclusively Barnes. Only deer for me,no elk. What you have is just fine.

I have to believe that a .270 pushing an 85 grain Barnes at warp speed would work fine. I've shot 8 or ten deer with the 110 out of my 270 and I won't be going up to 130s for anything for any reason. Did ever take it into my head to kill an elk that'd be the probable choice.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The only change might be to go with a 130gr in the the 308Win.

I'm a Barnes user since 1992, and have yet to recover a Barnes out of any big game animal.

The last Bull Elk I shot with my 270, using a 130gr TSX, was at 417yds. The bullet entered the right side of his chest, exited the left side, re-entered his upper left leg, breaking the large bone, and then exited again. The bull took 2-3 steps and dropped. I could not ask for better performance.

In 30-06, I use the 168gr TTSX;

270 gets the 130gr TTSX;

243 uses the 80gr TTSX;

and I use the 45gr TSX in a 22 Hornet for coyotes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shot two big cow elk yesterday with a 25-06 and 100 grain TTSX at about 200 yards. Neither one traveled over 50 yards after being hit. You'll be fine with any of the choices. Shot placement is the important factor.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Dig the BC/FPS Meld on the 150 Flavored .30

From October...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CougeeMcNugitz; 12/27/16. Reason: +1 ShotPlacement
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rost495

But I could care less about a few lead frags either.... its not killed how many billions of people already over time.

How many people have had their IQ lowered by lead fragments? I haven't a clue, but I imagine it's happened.
Research suggest IQ's went up in areas with heavy traffic after lead was removed from gasoline.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lead dust/particulate that is absorbed into the blood stream via aspiration, etc, has a negative effect, but ingested macro pieces of lead are not taken into the blood stream; they simply pass through the system.

None-the-less, it doesn't hurt to avoid eating lead fragments...

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for the replies gang. It looks like I’m in the ballpark with my current loads, but I may have to play with the 140 gr. for the 7mm-08 just for grins (and perhaps the .30 cals). Since all four rifles shoot very well already, it looks like I’ll mostly be chasing an inconsequential improvement that I’ll never see in the field. I have to give myself something to do in the off season; I can’t bed any of them since that was last year’s project. Maybe I’ll buy another project rifle of some sort. I appreciate the feedback; I’ve had a lot of luck with the Barnes bullet. I’m picky with my shots, and I love closing the gap on a herd, rather than taking a long shot. This year I was able to move on a herd of 150+ elk that I first saw at 1,000 yards. After multiple approach angles, I was finally able to crawl over a rock for an easy 80-yard shot.

I wasn’t intending to start an argument regarding lead contamination/exposure. I merely stated it to let people know why I wasn’t looking for a Nosler Partition, Accubond, etc. There are some great bullets out there, but I’ve been sold on all copper for years.

For what it’s worth, ingested lead is definitely bioavailable, and it’s especially troublesome to a young person’s developing brain - - learning disabilities being chief among them. There is also likely no threshold for developmental effects to children. There are no safe lead levels, and it can affect many organs. Outright mortality would take a lot of lead for a human, but that’s not the case regarding secondary toxicity to scavengers. I’ve seen numerous Bald and Golden Eagles displaying lead toxicity, with the results being borne out on necropsy. I want to be clear that I’m not pressuring anyone to switch; I’m just a nerd that likes data, and my background steered me to my current bullet choice.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Lead dust/particulate that is absorbed into the blood stream via aspiration, etc, has a negative effect, but ingested macro pieces of lead are not taken into the blood stream; they simply pass through the system.

None-the-less, it doesn't hurt to avoid eating lead fragments...

Jordan, the research I have read suggests that lead bullet fragments that are ingested do indeed enter the blood stream.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bill, that's interesting. I'm no expert on the subject, but I've read some research that indicated what I mentioned above. I believe JB knows a fair bit about lead intake, and IIRC he has posted several times something similar to what I wrote above. Maybe he'll chime in.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by rost495

How many people have had their IQ lowered by lead fragments? I haven't a clue, but I imagine it's happened.
Research suggest IQ's went up in areas with heavy traffic after lead was removed from gasoline.

Government statistics are made up at the time of use. You have been duped.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is one of the research articles that I was referring to:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/225671870_Intake_of_lead_from_game_meat_-_A_risk_to_consumers%27_health

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 42 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,511
Posts18,452,647
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.