Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Seems yesterday's budget rifles are today's 'classics'

I see people falling all over themselves for 788's, 721, 722 etc and lets face it, any mid 60's=70's Winchester was a budget model, at best.

I don't "get" that either. Some of those old Remmys are fine shooters, but have no visual appear whatsoever, and most show their age.

I look for old commercial Mauser-based rifles. Some are a little plain, but the bones are solid and well worth spending a few bucks on, or even a lot of bucks sometimes. Most have low round counts because people generally didn't sit at a bench and pour it downrange like many do now. All I've bought have been decent shooters and just have a quality feel to them that you don't get with the bic rifles, or even some pricier ones. People fuss about the wobbly bolts, but that wobble is designed in for a reason.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So what if ten grand worth of ammo wears out a $300 rifle?

I don't see the problem, but still, I doubt it will exist to any great degree.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
What could conceivably wear out on a bolt action rifle that couldn't be easily replaced? If anything, these throwaway rifles have made things more modular and easier to replace than before. Instead of having to screw a barrel on and finish cutting a chamber, one can use a barrel nut and a headspace gauge in a few minutes. If something goes wrong with the bolt, the bolt head is easily replaced.

There are a few exceptions. I think the 783 has a press fit barrel that truly does make it disposable once that barrel is done. Of course, you can spend $1,500 on a Mauser M12 with a press fit barrel too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a hard time believing my "budget" Howa 1500 won't last as long as any other rifle I own.

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Howa is just as good or better than Remington as far as I can see. But one is 299 and one is 549.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
I've had this Mossberg Patriot for about 3 weeks now. Its in 7mm-08. Havnt had it out to shoot it yet, but holding up fine so far! smile

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by kenster99
[Linked Image]
I've had this Mossberg Patriot for about 3 weeks now. Its in 7mm-08. Havnt had it out to shoot it yet, but holding up fine so far! smile

I have a patriot 308. I broke it before even shooting it..the rear action screw will only take about 4 inch pounds of torque before the plastic bedding block cracks..

That said i got a replacement and made an aluminum pillar to take the stress, its accurate, has 700 rounds out of it and only had it 3 weeks.

Wont buy another one, what a [bleep] design that plastic block is. nice idea but they need to make it out of something that will take some pressure from the fasteners..

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Seems yesterday's budget rifles are today's 'classics'

I see people falling all over themselves for 788's, 721, 722 etc and lets face it, any mid 60's=70's Winchester was a budget model, at best.

True, but they were made out of steel..These new plastic POS are more fragile than the toy guns of the 60-70's.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bic? Like plastic lighter Bic, or what?

I'm easily confused. In my second language bic means 'understand'. As in "You bic Nguyen?"

No bic.

On a higher plane, my youngest gun is near 20 years old. The oldest somewhere around 130 years young. They all shoot, and shoot well. Maybe the most used in a Beretta 686 12 with something around 20-25K rounds behind it. Broke a firing pin back in '99 and that's the only gun that ever broke on me. There be a couple that have some new parts due to improper function, but hey, if you were 85 years old you might need a new part or three yourself.

Probably the most used/abused gun I ever had was a new issue M16. Put around 40K rounds thru it, lubed it often, cleaned it the day I turned it in. Never jammed, not once. First 5-6" of the barrel didn't have much in the way of rifling at that point. Never tried the "semi" position on the safety, dunno if it worked or not. Colt built some good guns back then.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie
I have a hard time believing my "budget" Howa 1500 won't last as long as any other rifle I own.

The only thing "budget" about the Howas is the price. They're all forged steel, with one-piece bolts that take down without tools, and have real hinged floorplates that work perfectly, based on the ones I've had. The only issue is that for SS, you have to go with the slightly pricier Vanguard now, but since you get a better Tupperware stock, it's still a good deal. My favorite push-feed.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Howa is just as good or better than Remington as far as I can see. But one is 299 and one is 549.

I would be inclined to agree..I like Howa.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe

after buying one.... and not counting the great prices out of Whittakers.. as much as I love a Howa... I think the extra $100 or less that a Weatherby Vanguard costs.. it is well worth the extra coin...

Kinda like the difference between a Biscayne and an Impala...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
John you might have a point. At least I like the ergs of the Vanguards better...though they are both made by Howa. I had one years ago under the S&W name and I shot the schitt out of it and was happy!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I can compare my Rem783 to my Tikka and 700P and see and feel the differences. Remington obviously saved money with the screw on barrel, final finish and plastic stock but I don't see why it won't last mechanically as long as either gun. It is smoother, more accurate, and 600 rounds later, more reliable with a better trigger than I thought it would be for $249. I think it was a pretty good investment to play around with .223 in a bolt rifle.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Seafire

after buying one.... and not counting the great prices out of Whittakers.. as much as I love a Howa... I think the extra $100 or less that a Weatherby Vanguard costs.. it is well worth the extra coin...

Whats the difference, just the stock correct? They both have 3-pos safeties, correct?

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Id bet rust and neglect trashes more rifles than does high round counts. By that standard I bet a lot of the new cheap rifles will die just because folks won't value them the same way they might a thousand dollar rifle and hence many will be rode hard and put away wet.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TomM1
Originally Posted by Seafire

Whats the difference, just the stock correct? They both have 3-pos safeties, correct?

V2s have 24" barrels.

Whittaker's has Howa 1500s for around $350 shipped, while the least expensive V2s that I've seen have been priced around $490.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
When introduced the Rem 700 was considered a budget rifle.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JMR40
When introduced the Rem 700 was considered a budget rifle.

Really?

I thought that Remington price the 1963 700 BDLs to compete with the Winchester 70.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 721/722 was a budget rifle. With the 700, Remington put lipstick on the pig. grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

327 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.