Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
How about some pics of your reloading benches, trying to get some ideas. Would like to have something portable maybe due to limited space

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine is compact and portable as I move a lot. An old truckstop cafe table base with a scrap of 1/4 inch plate on top.....

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ive got a nice setup but it is far from easily moved.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Heres mine. 2 Cabinets with 1 counter top spanning both of them. Casters all the way around so I can roll it if need be, If you want something smaller you could just use 1 cabinet.

All drawers and doors are functioning on these cabinets.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
[Linked Image]

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Organized!

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My main reloading bench is a butcher block topped baker's table from the unfinished furniture store. My rollaround loading bench is a butcher block topped microwave cart from the big box home center. Both feature strong thick tops with plenty of thickness to bolt presses and accessories to and sturdy legs. The microwave cart has locking casters, I can roll it where needed and lock the casters and I'm set-up ready to load in minutes. When done unlock the casters and roll it back where it belongs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What about these, I know that they are not as stable as a actual bench but you did ask for portable. The first two are Frankford Arsenal, the third one is a Lee product.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think that I have seen similar to the last one, at Harbor Freight, for putting grinders on. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

nuthin special....somewhat organized......in basesment..

heated & cooled is nice....use two solid core doors for the tops

left side is for storage...barrel changing..spare shootin' table

used to hold guns while cleaning..mounting scopes...not shown

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My first loading bench was made from a solid core door, it worked very well. When I bought something else my Dad cut it down to make a workbench that would fit in his garage.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice.
What are some dos and don't to set your bench or what would you have done different?

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Dre
Nice.
What are some dos and don't to set your bench or what would you have done different?

do make it solid....heated/cooled.....keep kids out....locked door

I store 8# jugs elsewhere...only 1# bottles on bench...only one

bottle open at a time....one brick primers out at once...of each

flavor...good lighting is a must....decent chair/stool....pay

attention to what you're doing...NO distractions ! quiet area of

your house/garage....keep powder/primers cool/dry/stable temps

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Do something different eh?

Well, as soon as one of the kids moves out, my loading bench and guns are moving out of our bedroom and into a spare bedroom.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by SuperCub
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice sign you got there smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Nice sign you got there smile

It came from a job site in Maine. One of our guys traded a hat for that sign with one of the on-site security personal.

Some security! [Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Some cool ideas. Mine is pretty compact as well. Just finished up a table top for my belt/disc sander for grinding recoil pads and working on guns too. I also like the steel lockboxes for storing powder and primers:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I like having plenty of cupboard space for my reloading stuff as well...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's usually not this clean and now has a row of blue bins under the cabinets

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Brass in plastic shoe box bins on top of the cabinets

[Linked Image]

This picture shows the un-full row of blue bins under the cabinet...it's full now

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I see another fan of the square peanut/pretzel jars, nearly all my brass and bullets are stored in these jars. I have similar tall ones for tumbler media. I used to use the Folgers coffee containers too, but have now put everything in the clear jars. Blue bin boxes reside on the bench shelves under my pistol loading press with my most used bullets. Cleaning supplies reside in a Plano plastic ammo can and there are separate range boxes, one for rimfire and another for centerfire.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What products in a store near you....use these square plastic containers?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Planter's peanuts & H.K. Anderson peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets are what I use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might not be exactly the same.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An overall perspective of my reloading/gun room.

[Linked Image]

I have three benches in my room. One for centerfire rifle. It is equipped with a Lee classic cast turret press and also a cheap Lee press that I use for priming only:

[Linked Image]

The beauty of the Lee turret press is the ability to set up all your dies once and then change out in seconds. Here is a rack for my turrets:

[Linked Image]

One for bulk centerfire pistol - I now have three Dillon SDB's. My goal is to have one each for all the pistol calibers I load for. There are two dillon's hiding under the white T shirts. For small runs of pistol ammo I'll use the turret press. Storage underneath. Also hiding under there is a PW 800B 12ga press and a thousand or so empty AA hulls.

[Linked Image]

My work bench for cleaning and scope mounting. I store all my gun digests and all my cleaning materials under this bench.

[Linked Image]

All my components - primers, powder, bullets, manuals, etc are stored in this wood cabinet I built.

[Linked Image]
The whole setup lives in my basement. My primers and powder are stored in a cool, dark environment.

I have gone to mounting all my presses, etc on 2X6 boards and using C clamps to clamp to the benches. My dad and I built the grey cabinet in about 1975 and made an elaborate steel tapered dovetail to interchange presses but it turned out to be a PITA. The other two benches are built of solid core door as the top and 2X4 legs and skirting, with 3/4" plywood shelf. One I used mortise and tenon, one I used Simpson brackets. Both work. The tops are 1/4" masonite lamited over the doors.

Last edited by tominboise; 12/30/16.

Regards,

Tom
I started reloading in 1962 and have gone through several different reloading benches.

Absolutely the best one is the NRMA designed bench.

[Linked Image]
I believe that plans are still available.

Mine is over 30 years old.

It is super strong, but what I like most about it is that it is a simple takedown into several components by removing the 3/8 inch carriage bolts that hold it together.
This makes transport a lot simpler and getting through doors a breeze.
I flew helicopters for 26 years, and moved quite often. Having this bench really was a boon to my reloading.

Besides my two Dillon presses I have three MEC presses, a Pacific single stage press, a cast bullet sizer, and several other bench mounted tools.

Only using one tool at a time was a problem until I modified the bench with a key system for mounting the tools when I rebuilt the bench about 20 years ago.
(I had originally dyed the bench a dark walnut stain. This turned out to be a poor choice because it hid dropped powder and other small dropped objects.)
To alleviate this when I decided to modify the bench about twenty years ago, I simply added a ¾ inch maple laminated plywood sheet on top.
Before I installed the new bench top I cut out the key slot.

The largest tool footprint is my MEC Grabber, so I designed the key to accommodate it, and thus all others.

I ended up with an 11 x 11 inch ¾ inch thick key block with ¼ inch holes set 1 inch from the edges in each corner.
I glued an additional 11x11 inch piece of a Hemlock 1x12 on top of the plywood key to give the mounting bolts a little more material to work with.
The ¼ inch holes were drilled through the bench and the underside was relieved to accommodate ¼ wing nuts.
These were secured using fiberglass rifle bedding compound and are totally solid.

[Linked Image]
This is a picture of my bench with a key installed that allows the full use of the bench without having to work around any mounted tools.

[Linked Image]
Here is a good look at the key slot showing the modifications I made to allow shotgun primers to drop into a catch jar mounted under the bench top.

[Linked Image]
The cutdown Plastic Jar with spent primers.
Lid is screwed to the underside of the bench

I cut down a plastic jar and reassembled the halves to provide a low profile catch system that has a reasonable capacity.

[Linked Image]
Shotgun Primer catch jar installed on the underside of the bench
Also shown is how I installed the ¼ in bolt wing nuts.

[Linked Image]
One of my MEC 600 Jrs. set up for 20 GA. showing the modification for the primer drop.

To Be Continued

Last edited by Steve_Cover; 01/06/17.

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW
Steve's Reloading Bench Part 2

[Linked Image]
Here is how the MEC Grabber fits the key.

All of the presses are mounted using the appropriate size countersunk screw from below and lock nuts on top.
This makes for a very solid mount.
I have no trouble swaging small bullets.

[Linked Image]
Here is the bottom of my Pacific “O” press showing the countersunk screws.

[Linked Image]
This is the Pacific press mounted and ready to use.
This is an old press. Pacific was bought out by Hornady in the late 1980s.

Note: all the 22 rimfire ammunition was for a test of modifying the bullets.
Several machinist/gunsmiths offer tools and or dies to form several different configurations and diameters to improve accuracy and performance.
Due to the 22 rimfire drought, this test was put on hold.

[Linked Image]
Close up view of one of the key mounting bolts.

[Linked Image]
Here is my 650 mounted and ready to go through another batch of 500 brass in an afternoon.

I reload 29 different metallic cartridges, most of them on the Dillon 650.
When I want to change tools, change out is simply pulling the four ¼ in lug bolts, lifting off one press and setting the other into the key slot.
Then tighten down the very same lug bolts and I am ready for the next job.

Note the swing arm lamp.
I have attached one to each corner of the bench cabinet for best illumination of my reloading process.
When not needed they are simply moved out of the way.

To Be Continued

FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
Steve’s Reloading Bench Part 3

[Linked Image]
My reloading scale is mounted on a fold down shelf on the cabinet.
Note the shorter support chain on the left design allowing better access to the scale tray.

[Linked Image]
Mounting the tools offset to the right gives better access to the scale.

As to bench height, I chose to make it comfortable to stand while reloading.
The addition of a bar stool, allows me to sit if I want to.

It is not necessary to build as heavily as I did.
But the key system works very well for me and could be adapted to a smaller bench.

Steve

FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do a search. Through the years your post has been repeated multiple times. Some threads have 8 or 10 pages of posts and pictures.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nice setups

Tater
Bob, If your post is relating to me, I only have a total of ten posts on this forum.

I have posted about several subjects on a few other sites, Survival.com, the High Road,etc., but only have been a member here a couple of weeks.

Steve

Last edited by Steve_Cover; 01/12/17.

FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_Cover
Bob, If your post is relating to me, I only have a total of ten posts on this forum.

I have posted about several subjects on a few other sites, Survival.com, the High Road,etc., but only have been a member here a couple of weeks.

Steve

He was suggesting to the OP to do a search as this topic has appeared many times over the years with a bunch of pics that may not be posted in this thread.

When you built the cabinet portion of the NRMA bench, did you run screws into the ends of the shelves and dividers? Just curious as I'm thinking about building with these plans this winter and haven't had great luck screwing into plywood ends.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Steve

He was suggesting to the OP to do a search as this topic has appeared many times over the years with a bunch of pics that may not be posted in this thread.

When you built the cabinet portion of the NRMA bench, did you run screws into the ends of the shelves and dividers? Just curious as I'm thinking about building with these plans this winter and haven't had great luck screwing into plywood ends.

Where did you get that picture you sent me of that reloading room?

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dingo
[Linked Image]

I like that..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I started reloading in 1962 and have gone through several different reloading benches.

Absolutely the best one is the NRMA designed bench.

[Linked Image]
I believe that plans are still available.

Mine is over 30 years old.

It is super strong, but what I like most about it is that it is a simple takedown into several components by removing the 3/8 inch carriage bolts that hold it together.
This makes transport a lot simpler and getting through doors a breeze.
I flew helicopters for 26 years, and moved quite often. Having this bench really was a boon to my reloading.

Besides my two Dillon presses I have three MEC presses, a Pacific single stage press, a cast bullet sizer, and several other bench mounted tools.

Only using one tool at a time was a problem until I modified the bench with a key system for mounting the tools when I rebuilt the bench about 20 years ago.
(I had originally dyed the bench a dark walnut stain. This turned out to be a poor choice because it hid dropped powder and other small dropped objects.)
To alleviate this when I decided to modify the bench about twenty years ago, I simply added a ¾ inch maple laminated plywood sheet on top.
Before I installed the new bench top I cut out the key slot.

The largest tool footprint is my MEC Grabber, so I designed the key to accommodate it, and thus all others.

I ended up with an 11 x 11 inch ¾ inch thick key block with ¼ inch holes set 1 inch from the edges in each corner.
I glued an additional 11x11 inch piece of a Hemlock 1x12 on top of the plywood key to give the mounting bolts a little more material to work with.
The ¼ inch holes were drilled through the bench and the underside was relieved to accommodate ¼ wing nuts.
These were secured using fiberglass rifle bedding compound and are totally solid.

[Linked Image]
This is a picture of my bench with a key installed that allows the full use of the bench without having to work around any mounted tools.

[Linked Image]
Here is a good look at the key slot showing the modifications I made to allow shotgun primers to drop into a catch jar mounted under the bench top.

[Linked Image]
The cutdown Plastic Jar with spent primers.
Lid is screwed to the underside of the bench

I cut down a plastic jar and reassembled the halves to provide a low profile catch system that has a reasonable capacity.

[Linked Image]
Shotgun Primer catch jar installed on the underside of the bench
Also shown is how I installed the ¼ in bolt wing nuts.

[Linked Image]
One of my MEC 600 Jrs. set up for 20 GA. showing the modification for the primer drop.

To Be Continued

Awesome, I like that. Thanks for sharing. I also mounted a jar under my progressive shotgun reloader to catch the primers. Some great ideas there...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HitnRun

I've no idea what thread it was from. I just right clicked on one of shrapnel's posts and copied the image location like below.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Here, but there aren't many bench pics in the thread.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
The cabinet section of the bench is screwed and glued together.
I always drill pilot hols when screwing into plywood.
I find that is really worth the extra effort.
The sliding doors and interior shelves on both sides are removable.
It is held to the bench by 8 #10 Wood Screw.
The back behind the lower shelf is screwed on with wood screws. Everything else is assembled with carriage bolts.
My bench breaks down to the cabinet, both sides (Contain the legs), bench top, 1/4" lower shelf back, and lower shelf.
Each piece of the assembly is single man portable.
Heaviest is the bench top.
I can assemble the bench by myself, but two people make it easier.
Steve

Last edited by Steve_Cover; 01/15/17.

FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I built mine from that old set of plans. I modified it a bit to fit where I wanted and built it 4 " taller. At first I thought it was going to be too high. But it is just right. It is very solid and easy to build. Because I'm surely no carpenter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After 17 years at reloading, I still consider myself a duffer. However, I am quite happy with my reloading cave.

Here is a link to its description along with a bunch of pics.

The shamanic Reloading Cave

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shaman; 01/23/17.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,394 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.