Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My son got a new AR for Christmas,and me knowing nothing about them.(bolt action guy) have a question.
Its a flat top model,and I have a Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 ,3/9 scope I'd like to put on it. What mount do you suggest. I know on my bolt guns I want there scope as low as possible,it does have the top rail,and he'll be using it mostly for predator hunting. Thanks for helping me out

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
DNZ Freedom Reaper

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Aero precision

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
My son got a new AR for Christmas,and me knowing nothing about them.(bolt action guy) have a question.
Its a flat top model,and I have a Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 ,3/9 scope I'd like to put on it. What mount do you suggest. I know on my bolt guns I want there scope as low as possible,it does have the top rail,and he'll be using it mostly for predator hunting. Thanks for helping me out

On an AR15 you need an AR-height scope mount, not just "as low as possible". Look at the placement of the stock comb vs the top of the receiver, compared to your bolt guns, and you'll understand why.

There are a number of good quality AR scope mounts, but I recommend avoiding the cheaper chinese junk and the slightly more expensive Burris/Nikon/Weaver rebranded chinese junk. On the low end of the price scale for a good quality mount, Aero Precision or Leupold IMS are a good bet, or step up to the $150+ range and take your pick with ADM, Larue, and several other brands like that.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
second the Aero....I just got one in the mail today... unreal fit and finish...best 70 bucks I ever spent...
Originally Posted by deere2320
Aero precision

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want a Cadillac, the Geissele mount is the one to get. It gives you the optimum height over the bore for both prone and offhand shooting. Those 1.5" above the deck mounts are too high for anything other than offhand.
https://geissele.com/ar15-m4-super-precision-scope-mount.html

Islam is a terrorist organization.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've got an Aero, but took it off and put it back in the box after a year or so. It's a nice, light, mount; but the ring screws kept backing out and causing issues, even when tightened to "white knuckle" inch pounds. Loc Tite would probably cure that, but a pard had his set up with Burris Tactical Mediums, and I liked the lower location better, so I went that route.
With a 6x SWFA SS with a Butler Creek Cap, it'll clear (barely) the front rail, and that scope is long enough to give plenty of mounting latitude.
The Geissele's look slick, I just didn't want to go that much scratch for a mount. I did pony up for one of their Super Dynamic Enhanced triggers and don't regret that move one bit. I could probably feel love for one of their forends too, when my rich Uncle escapes from debtors prison.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BarryC
If you want a Cadillac, the Geissele mount is the one to get. It gives you the optimum height over the bore for both prone and offhand shooting. Those 1.5" above the deck mounts are too high for anything other than offhand.
https://geissele.com/ar15-m4-super-precision-scope-mount.html

The Geissele mount in your link is 1.54" height, like most other quality mounts.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wareagle700

The Geissele mount in your link is 1.54" height, like most other quality mounts.

Oops! Must have had it mixed up with the Keystone - http://www.keystoneaccuracy.com/a5nmscopemount.html

That one is more optimal at 1.3" and also a top of the line mount for serious shooters. 1.5" is too high for most people in prone. 1.5 is generally for 3 gunners and the like who don't do much prone.

Last edited by BarryC; 12/30/16.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BarryC
Originally Posted by wareagle700

Oops! Must have had it mixed up with the Keystone - http://www.keystoneaccuracy.com/a5nmscopemount.html

That one is more optimal at 1.3" and also a top of the line mount for serious shooters. 1.5" is too high for most people in prone. 1.5 is generally for 3 gunners and the like who don't do much prone.

One thing is for sure, there is no one size fits all for scope mounts.

If you look around, Nightforce, Geissele, LaRue, Badger Ordnance, SPUHR, all of which are geared towards the precicion shooting crowd, make scope mounts for the AR that are 1.5" in height. Some offer lower options but the 1.5" is pretty standard across the board. For me, its about perfect for any position. With a 50mm or larger objective, any lower would be touching the front rail. Just something to consider.

Last edited by wareagle700; 12/30/16.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some of the Chinese junk works pretty good if you're not fixed like a Rockefeller.

Burris PEPR and Vortex Cantilever come to mind.

The Warne XSkel is a great mount that's made in the USA and comes in a few colors as well. You can find the Warne for under $100 usually if you look hard enough.

Dan

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Armalite is the lowest that I know of but most are 1.4" or so. http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/one_piece/ar15_onepiece_mounts.htm
Here's a good list.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Dantheman
Some of the Chinese junk works pretty good if you're not fixed like a Rockefeller.

Burris PEPR and Vortex Cantilever come to mind.

Why buy that chinese junk when you can get better mounts for the same cost? You don't have to be rich to use good quality gear.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ARMS throw lever scope rings/mounts have worked well for me.

Sam......

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
1.5" is the standard for clip-on night vision and thermals so that's why you see it more than 1.3" or 1.7"

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Petro
DNZ Freedom Reaper

I really like this one. Simple and rock solid.

Only two screws per ring top, but don't be fooled, they are larger in diameter and longer than most ring top screws.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Aero Precision,wait and you can get them for less than $70.00

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use Larue SPR LT104 mounts. I'm not sure what'd I do if I needed more. Larue is pricey, but I've never wished I had something else. He got me hooked back when he was in a pissing contest with A.R.M.S. and offered to swap one of his mounts for any of theirs. I later bought a second at full price and then another set of 30mm rings at full price. His shît is sweet, but it's kinda like buying a Saturn.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for Aero for the money

Life is just one damned thing after another
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bcraig
Aero Precision,wait and you can get them for less than $70.00
Yup...just got a set of 30mm for $67....free shipping too.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
American Defense if you want the most options. Not cheap but simply the finest period end!!! I use the Recon on most of mine.
Jim D

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Not to high-jack this thread , but may I ask what you use when shooting long range and need a 20moa base/mount combo using a flat top ar ? Thanks for your input.Gary

Yesterday was a history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.. that's why we call it "present"!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of mounts have the 20MOA can't built in.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The AD Recon, by ADM (American Defense Manuf) is, IMO and IME, the best QR scope mount out there. The return to zero is fantastic. In front of numerous witness', i've hit my 12" plate @ 1000 yds, removed the scope/mount, replaced the scope/mount and done it again and again and again. The trick is to insure you use the same technique to replace the scope/mount, every time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've got an ADM 20 MOA mount. LaRue makes one as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonesouth
American Defense if you want the most options. Not cheap but simply the finest period end!!! I use the Recon on most of mine.

The AD Recon is my favorite if the OP wants to pay the tariff; but for around $90, the Leupold Mk 2 is decent, or the Mk 4 for a little more.

MM

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've been very happy with the Burris PEPR mounts.

Hunt Africa while you can
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 13 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.