Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Roosevelt elk are very big. I have seen some whopper cows here in Idaho also.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a better than average cow for my area. Bout 450lbs.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This was a roosevelt that I killed. It stood with 40 others and was one of the better cows. I'd be surprised if it yielded more than 15 lbs more than my rockys.

[Linked Image]

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
As to the reference to a lot of burger from a processor...
Processors add beef or pork to venison, antelope a elk when they make it into summer sausage and some also put some in with burger. Could have been part of the abundance of burger.
And it just might have been a frugal processor and a very large cow.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That sounds about right considering how you are processing one, adding 10% beef fat, taking rib meat,and neck.

I do the no gut method and don't take between the ribs.That is 50% fat anyway. I usually lose the flank meat, I don't add fat to the grind,and CPW reccomends not taking much of the neck as the lymp glands are there and CWD is prevalent in many units in Colorado

Yeah we don't have to worry about CWD so that's nice. There's good meat on the neck but it's a pain to get, when I bone them out in the field I only get the biggest chunks off it. The neck does indeed have some lymph glands and stuff, a very large tendon especially on bulls, we have to pick through it. Much easier to do on a table than in the field. The ribs are a pain and that's exactly right, by the time you cut through all the fat and connective tissue there's not much. The meat surrounding the ribcage has some good chunks but the ribs proper is a lot of trim for a little meat. But it all adds up, we are allowed 1 deer and 1 elk a year IF you get drawn, it's a lottery. We stretch it best we can.

If you are getting them out whole, vs packing out pieces, you are definitely getting more meat, also. I bring out quarters, tenderloins and back straps, with maybe a bit of other scrap thrown in. If you have it hanging there whole, you can work on it a bit better.

Yep. When we have to pack them out there's definitely less, for a packed/boned out cow I would say 115lbs is fine. But the OP looks like the butcher got a pretty whole cow elk. I'd have gotten him more meat wink

Last edited by huntinaz; 01/01/17.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That's a lot of meat

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
Based on the numbers I read here I killed a huge cow. The farmer who owned the land on which I hunted wanted his half in hamburger. The processor made 125 packages of one pound each. I received 125 pounds of steaks and a little hamburger. That means a cow running about 700 on the hoof. The processor told me it was the biggest cow he ever saw. I think the back to belly was 28" laying there before I gutted it.

Is that pure burger, or fat-added burger?

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Are these 450 pound cows weighed with the guts in them?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Are these 450 pound cows weighed with the guts in them?
I'm sure not packing a scale and block and tackle around the mountains just to weigh a whole elk. The closest I get to weighing is when I load the pieces on my llamas. I need to weigh the panniers to keep them balanced. That will include bag and pannier weight and only the long bones if I leave them in.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
OK, guys. Like RC I don't pack a scale, (even for weighing panniers). But on another forum a guy made a comment about getting 30 lbs of boned meat off a bull elk neck. I generally don't get too careful about getting every last scrap off a neck, but that sure seems way high in my experience. How much is there on one, really?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Originally Posted by Ringman
Based on the numbers I read here I killed a huge cow. The farmer who owned the land on which I hunted wanted his half in hamburger. The processor made 125 packages of one pound each. I received 125 pounds of steaks and a little hamburger. That means a cow running about 700 on the hoof. The processor told me it was the biggest cow he ever saw. I think the back to belly was 28" laying there before I gutted it.

Is that pure burger, or fat-added burger?

I had them add 2% beef fat.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by huntsman22
OK, guys. Like RC I don't pack a scale, (even for weighing panniers). But on another forum a guy made a comment about getting 30 lbs of boned meat off a bull elk neck. I generally don't get too careful about getting every last scrap off a neck, but that sure seems way high in my experience. How much is there on one, really?

Five to seven I'll bet. There's a big bone running through it, not to mention those monstrous yellow tendons.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I don't take the bones, or throat.....I'm in the 5-7 camp.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a hand scale to balance my loads for the mules, (this scale is not calibrated) . But it just occurred to me last night are some people talking live weight, and others gutted weight with head and hide and hooves still on? Certainly a carcass will be a bigger percentage of the total mass of the later over the former.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It would be very rare to have anyone post a live weight (or freshly killed before gutting).

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Another thing I would like to share is I took a venison neck and simmered it in broth and onions and spices for several hours, until the meat started falling of the bones. Let it cool, pulled the meat, and had enough for two gallons of stew. It was only a small whitetail neck. I could just imagine the amount of meat possible from an elk neck braised, and the the meat pulled in this fashion.

Last edited by Angus1895; 01/03/17.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The two bull elk where I had the meat weighed, resulted in 225lbs and 250lbs of boned out meat. It felt closer to 1000lb on my back by the time the last load is hauled out.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We don't have a pot nearly big enough for a whole elk neck.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Got a saws all? Get that neck cut up 2 pot sized chunks, CWD be dammed! I figure as long as I do not die of cirrhosis .............I win!

Last edited by Angus1895; 01/03/17.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I trim every bit off the neck I can and grind it for burger. No fat added.

Sky Lakes Wilderness, Oregon. 4x4 Roosevelt. Went from this:

[Linked Image]

To this:

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.