Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Got a donor from a buddy and looking to build a squrrel sniping machine. Don't want it heavy so bull barrels and laminate stocks are out.

Is it best to get the factory trigger reworked? Looks like drop-in aftermarket models are pricey and I'm trying to keep this reasonably inexpensive.

Would a trigger job and Hogue do me pretty nicely or should is there significant ROI in an after market tube?

Any suggestions welcome thanks!

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 10/22 was put together to be a field carry friendly unit with some accuracy and it has not been a disappointment. i have a factory walnut stock and i bought a Green mountain SS Sporter barrel. i had someone do a bit of bolt work and clean up the trigger. it shoots TAC-22 ammo into very nice groups at 50 yrds. it also shoots minni mags into nice groups too. i'm still tweaking and wont claim it to be a true less than 1/2" group at 50 yrds, .........yet. but its getting there.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 12/29/16.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Did you leave the barrel band in place w/ factory stock or remove it?

I may have to look at GM they seem to be a favorite w/ 22s. I like SS w/ blued it'd look cool!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
Did you leave the barrel band in place w/ factory stock or remove it?

I may have to look at GM they seem to be a favorite w/ 22s. I like SS w/ blued it'd look cool!

my stock does not have the barrel band, it is a DSP

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Send your trigger to Brimstone, their lower tier job was like 35 dollars and you will have A usable trigger. I would then shot the rifle, with some better ammo, you might be happy with it...

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Green Mountain barrels are one of the better values out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're likely to get more useful input on rimfirecentral than here, since that site is loaded with rabid 10/22 guys.

Like you, I didn't want to go with the heavy barrel, so I put together a 10/22 with a 24" GM fluted stainless sporter contour barrel in a Ruger Sporter stock that I sent to CPC for their full tune up. I really like the balance of the longer barrel and it shoots most ammo into less than 0.5" at 50 yards. I don't shoot squirrels with it, as I am a pretty serious squirrel hunter and much prefer to shoot squirrels with my 17HM2 bolt guns.

The CPC full tune up is over $200, but worth it if you really want to shoot small groups.

www.ct-precision.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 what 260remguy said

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Carbon fiber.

BX40.

Barracuda.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Carbon fiber barrel from several manufacturers.
Brimstone gunsmithing for the trigger.
Your choice on the stock, Hogue will do. I like the Magnum Research Glacier Ridge.
Leupold UL scope set to be parallax free at 60 yds.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I went with an aluminum shrouded barrel in full bull contour and did the hammer mod myself (Rimfire Central how to) and put it in a Hogue stock. It is very accurate and easy to carry.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Look at KIDD LW or ULW barrels.

[Linked Image]

This one is currently has the ULW.

Last edited by covejeepsxj; 01/04/17.

One too many hobbies....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I traded my 10/22 Wood stock model for the Ruger 10/22 Tactical with a Composite barrel. The trigger was terrible, so I just ordered a BX Trigger and threw the Factory on away. This was a great move, because the BX is really nice. A little expensive, but I suppose you could look around and do better than I did. Ruger offered to rework the old trigger for $35 but a heard good things about the BX. I wish I had known about Brimstone. Sounds like a better deal. Any way the tactical is nice and light and am picking off the Tree rats one after another. I shoot a couple a day and the next day there are more. Before I can go outside and pick them up, the Wolves and a pack of Coyotes get them. Lost cause.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
i did a couple of 10/22's for squirrel hunting, the .22lR has a whistlepig fluted lightweight barrel, and burris glass, in a hogue stock.

The .17Mach2 is a Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel & bolt group, also in houge, with a 4-12x VX2.

they shoot pretty well, and are both very light; when hunting hyperactive gray squirrels i carry them a bit; most of the time i pack around bolt guns but the second & third shot does come in handy at times.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

============================================================

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[Linked Image]Untitled by Chris Jamison, on Flickr
I built this one on the cheap from parts I got here on the fire. Hogue stock, Green Mountain threaded barrel, Power Custom sear and trigger kit. The squirrel in the pic was shot at 85 yards.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice rifle. Nice shot.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My most recent 10/22 project.

[Linked Image]Ruger 1022 Sporter Mask by X Ring, on Flickr

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I really like my 10-22 with Kid Barrel, Volquartsen Trigger and Boyd Tact Stock

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have gm oct blr on mine and it is much better than i can shoot. cletus hung well did my trigger and made a great improvement!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[quote=wareagle700]My most recent 10/22 project.

Nice! Is that a Deluxe Sporter stock or the new Stockys Classic RF II stock?

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Efw: For the last 59 years or so I have been shooting Squirrels (mostly Ground Squirrels but some Tree Squirrels as well) and I recommend you reconsider your aversion to "bull barrels and laminated stocks"!
Both of those type accessories to your Rifle will enhance and improve your Squirreling.
Most all factory 10/22's do indeed need trigger improvements and I heartily recommend that.
Best of luck in your build.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: If you do reconsider the "bull barrel" I highly recommend the Dan Lilja custom heavy stainless in 20" or 21" configuration.
Mine, on my Deluxe 10/22, has served me EXTREMELY well for more than 25 years now and far in excess of 100,000 rounds down the bore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MCT3

Nice! Is that a Deluxe Sporter stock or the new Stockys Classic RF II stock?

Thanks. Its the factory Ruger Sporter walnut stock.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Some nice rifles posted but they lack aesthetics.

If somebody told me carbon fiber and the Barracuda were where it's at, I'd have told them to get fugked.

But after owning this MR, I can definitively say that carbon fiber and the Barracuda, is where it's at.

Everybody disagrees. Until they shoot it.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
nice

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My best friend helped me one weekend with a major home upgrade so to thank him I modified his pristine 10/22 deluxe.

I used a Green Mountain tapered barrel in his original walnut stock. No barrel band to contend with. I glass bedded the rifle and replaced the hammer and sear in the trigger to lighten it. When I sighted it in I got 10 shot group of Wolf Match ammo roughly the size of a nickel at 50 yds.

The tapered barrels are a nice compromise between a bull and a standard. They don't feel heavy but are plenty stiff.

Dan

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Of all the 10/22'S I've built by far my favorite combination is a factory Deluxe sorter walnut stock with Green Mountain 16.5" fluted sporter barrel. Replace factory trigger internals with kidd and your all set.

WarDamnEagle
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
https://www.1022rifle.com/buy/barrel

Get the tapered one and go to work on the bushy tails. I had a threaded bull barrel from them and it was scary accurate after a brimstone trigger job.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like those Green Mountain and carbon fiber barrels are pretty nice and for a decent price.

I have not been disappointed with my Kidd build, although I would not recommend this for a "budget" build. Hogue stock, Kidd .920" floated barrel, bedded action, Kidd 2-stage trigger. It will drive spikes at 50 yds, with or without a can.

[Linked Image]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wareagle
Of all the 10/22'S I've built by far my favorite combination is a factory Deluxe sorter walnut stock with Green Mountain 16.5" fluted sporter barrel. Replace factory trigger internals with kidd and your all set.

I have near the same set up except mine is the 20" sporter barrel. today when i get home i should have a Sightron Big Sky waiting for me that i picked up in the classifieds last week. it will either go on the 10/22 or possibly one of the M77/22's but i'm leaning towards the 10/22 because it shoots so well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
boy do i have egg on my face today. got home last night and opened up the package that was there waiting for me and i find myself going DUH! the scope i bought is a Sightron 4.5x14 big sky, but it is not an AO model. it clearly shows in the pictures that there was no AO but i just assumed at that power range it had one. so now i have a decent centerfire scope for which i have no use for. BTW the seller offer to refund me for my screw up but i couldn't do it. guy was very stand up about my screw up. anyway now i'll need to try to trade or sell this one off or buy some sort of 22-250 or .223 yote gun to throw underneath.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
EFW I sent you a PM. As an added fact kipp did a trigger job on the rifle mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.