Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My hub blind took a tumble weed trip yesterday in some strong winds. A couple of road rash holes in the top about finger size. Iwas thinking about putting Shoe Goo on them after the season. Any of you got better repair suggestions?

BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
My hub blind took a tumble weed trip yesterday in some strong winds. A couple of road rash holes in the top about finger size. Iwas thinking about putting Shoe Goo on them after the season. Any of you got better repair suggestions?

Shoe goo and a piece of fabric that matches the blind would probably be good

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Shoe goo will disappoint, I guarantee you. Try a product called Aquaseal..more expensive but it works great in those type applications.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've used Aquaseal on fabric waders and it does fine. It is simply silicon seal, however, so a big $3 tube from the hardware store will do the same job.

Hate it when folks rebottle/re-label goods and triple the price.

Cookie has put some serious wear on her photo blind and uses the Gorilla duct tape to keep it going. Once one puts that on fabric, you have to wear it off. Have some on tent flies that has been there for years. Actually put some on waders when I wore a hole in the area beneath the ball of my foot. Held up fine for a week long trip with about 6 hrs of fishing each day. That tape though is rather expensive stuff.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/30/16.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 1minute
I've used Aquaseal on fabric waders and it does fine. It is simply silicon seal, however, so a big $3 tube from the hardware store will do the same job.

Hate it when folks rebottle/re-label goods and triple the price.

Good to know..Aquaseal is expensive as schitt!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aquaseal is good stuff.
It is not a silicone adhesive. More akin to super glue.

Aquaseal MSDS sheet.

Last edited by NVhntr; 12/30/16.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
first off, throw away those little
wires that come with a popup blind
and buy or make some real 12-15"
tent stakes. stake it down well and
use those guy strings they gave you
and tie those out and stake them as
well. i learned that lesson with my
first popup.
to fix any holes/tears use black
gorilla tape available at any wally
world. my primary blind is probably
about half gorilla tape now. and be
sure to do any repairs while the inside
is dry and free of condensation.
i've been getting about 5 years out of
the cheap popups i use. they stay out
sept. to jan.
good luck

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I usually use cyanoacrylates (superglue) on nylon with a patch made from same or similar material.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Aquaseal is great stuff not like silicone. I have used it to repair Zodiak air keel on the front of the keel where a patch will not hold. Only thing I have used that will seal a raft without a patch. Amazing stuff, that will seal and not leak air.

But spendy and tough to reseal tube for additional use. Some of the raft companys up here recommend it for sealing small air leaks. I use it on my waders every year.

Last edited by kk alaska; 12/30/16.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have Shoe-Goo on rips and tears on my work truck seat. I put it on very thick and it never comes loose. Shoe-Goo done right is very tough

Put it on thick!!!

BTW....I use 12" nails for stakes

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've used it to repair neoprene waders and it lasts. Sure it will work well on a blind.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Shoe goo (black not clear) works on damn near anything. I was having a problem with my rear diff cover leaking on my '04 GMC. The synthetic oil was eating the fancy silicone and rubber gasket I was using. After getting leaks on 2 different gaskets, I said "I'll fix you biotch" and used some black shoe goo on a new gasket. Hasn't leaked in over a year and a half now. I'm scared to try to take it off again though... laugh. Seriously though, I started using the stuff in the late 90's to cover the toes on my steel toed boots. Everyone in my trade does this, as the shoe goo is the only damn thing that keeps the toe of the boot from wearing and the steel toe from falling out... Shoe goo is some good chit Maynard....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Aquaseal is great stuff not like silicone. I have used it to repair Zodiak air keel on the front of the keel where a patch will not hold. Only thing I have used that will seal a raft without a patch. Amazing stuff, that will seal and not leak air.

But spendy and tough to reseal tube for additional use. Some of the raft companys up here recommend it for sealing small air leaks. I use it on my waders every year.

Vacume seal the tube?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Shoe goo will disappoint, I guarantee you. Try a product called Aquaseal..more expensive but it works great in those type applications.

This ^^^
Shoo Goo has been a temporary repair IME.

Aqua Seal is NOT like a $3.00 tube of silicone caulking.
It is expensive and once opened you may as well use it all.
(it doesn't keep well after opening)

I never use the catalyst.

Aqua Seal is recommended (used) for the repair of the most expensive waders in the world because it works.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
spray with flex seal and patch.it will last. shoe goo works well on some things. a bear bit a 3in hole in my atv seat last year during hunting season. i cut a square of vinyl that i had and slid it under the rip then i took shoe goo and filled in the rip. i then taped the patch with gorilla duct tape. the tape came off in a week but the shoe goo is still holding the patch after a year. that's not bad considering how stretchy the vinyl seat is.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
For quite a few years I have been using a product called Tear Mender.I patch blue jeans, tents,my winch cover, nylon saddle bags, just about anything fabric or leather. I have never had a patch come off of blue jeans after they have been washed many times. Dries in 15 minutes. Sort of a latex glue
I buy mine at Ace Hardware, 6 oz is about $6 -$7

https://tearmender.com/

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/31/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Used to use Shoe Goo to attach pieces of outdoor carpeting or AstroTurf to the soles of waders and make them non-slip, it lasted a long time....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had bought the kids one of those swimming pools that you inflate the top ring and then fill the pool up. They come with a patch kit, and the adhesive works under water. When the pool sprung a leak, you could patch it from both the inside and the outside with that stuff-while it still had water in it. Good stuff-whatever it was. I used it for a lot of different things. If you could get that stuff it'd work pretty good I bet.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As far as longevity goes when sealing a used tube, I squeeze the goods up flush, put a couple layers of saran wrap on top, and screw or click on the cap. Have Aqua seal and silicon seal tubes that I've had for years and the product is still fine.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
673 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 77 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.