24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm looking for an air rifle. For those aficionados here given my requirements what would,you propose?

1) $300-$500 or less if better
2) .22 with minimum 800-1000 fps possible (why a .17?)
3) break-barrel charging rather than pumping (I think.. though I'm nostalgic for the Sheridan of my youth)
4) will have to be scoped (another question -- which?)
5) "sported weight" not "fence-post" realm
6) real wood -- no black plastic

Fire away. If you think I've painted myself into a corner, I understand. I don't know enough to ask more.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 12/30/16.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
800-1000 with a .22 springer is going to be the stumbling block at that price point.

Add in sporting weight and your gonna have buyers remorse. There is nothing with 800fps in .22 that will shoot well under 10 pounds scoped. For that you need a PCP

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree, that requirement of .22 is the problem. With .177 you get a much broader selection of pellets and cheaper also.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Let me elaborate with requirements: shooting rabbits off the deck and starlings and blackbirds particularly in the spring. They can be high in the trees -- think 40-50 yards.

Does the 17 open things up for me?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
In your budget I'd buy a .22 cal. Weihrauch HW 95 from Air Guns of Arizona for $315. It's rated at 755fps which should be more than enough for your uses.

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com

Then I'd buy an RWS scope mount from Amazon for 26 bucks:

https://www.amazon.com/Umarex-23005...&sr=8-7&keywords=RWS+scope+mount

Then I'd buy a 10x SWFA mil-quad scope for $300. For about $650 you'd have an accurate, powerful rifle with a great scope that will allow you to spot your shots and hold over (or dial) for drop as well as close focusing. Pellets drop fast, and you will need a reticle with hold-over markings in order to place shots accurately past 20 yards or so.

Here's my setup for backyard pest-control: a Feinwerkbau 300S with an SWFA 12x scope in the RWS mount. This gun puts out about 650fps, but it is fantastically accurate, so I'm able to place shots precisely; for example, head shots on ground squirrels at 35 yards using the mil-quad reticle to hold over for the drop.

[Linked Image]

I would stay away from the very high power break barrels that get advertised and promoted here in the US. A quality British or German air rifle may cost a bit more (though often they cost less) but will almost certainly have a better trigger, better sights, and better barrel than the big-box store break-barrels.

Last edited by Oregon45; 12/30/16.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Oregon45; that was very useful.
Edit: that is a great site!

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 12/30/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Second the HW95. I have two .22 and two .177 springers. Two RWS and two Beeman. I have scopes for all four but one .22 stays with open sites. I have used the BSA 4X on three of them and have a 3-9X32 Beeman as a backup. All four of these rifle will shoot under a dime for 10 shots, offhand at 21 feet. Often quite a bit under if I do my part.

I use RWS and Beemen hobby pellets for target shooting. There are dozens to choose from. You can go nuts if you obsess about these things. I use pointed pellets for pest control.

For pest control I'd recommend the .22. I have used my .177's on squirrels in the back yard but the range is like 10 yards and I only take head shots. Even at that range, the .22 is noticeably harder hitting.

As a warning, I started with one chinese .22 break barrel. It went down the road and now I have the 4 springers plus a benjamin/sheridan (quite accurate by the way) and assorted other air guns. I shoot in my basement and end up shooting them more then my powder burners due to the convenience.

Pyramdair.com is another good place to check out. I ordered 5000 pellets this morning from them.

Last edited by tominboise; 12/30/16.

Regards,

Tom
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have something that may work for you.

My wife gave me the RWS 48 package (side lever rifle in .22 cal, RWS base/rings, and RWS scope) for Christmas this year. The rifle performs above my expectations, and the RWS base/ring is rock solid. I don't care much for the RWS scope so will likely replace it eventually. My rifle came with the new TO6 trigger which is a tremendous upgrade from most run of the mill springer triggers. It seems to be a pretty good value, especially when you compare it to the massive costs of a high grade PCP.

The only thing I don't like about it is the noise level. I was expecting something like a stapler, but this rifle is louder than that. It is quieter than a 22, but not by much.

Last edited by RexM; 12/31/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The RWS 48 is a magnum springer for sure. I have one in .177 that I am likely to sell on. It's super accurate and holds very well for me offhand. It's justs too much rifle for what I am using it for, which is punching paper in my basement.

Last edited by tominboise; 12/31/16.

Regards,

Tom
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You may want to look at Straight Shooters too Link here
On their site I like to click on a rifle and see what "our take" is on that model rifle.
Check what they recommend for a scope as well, springers can be death to scopes not built for their recoil.

I'll add another vote for the HW95 the RWS48 and I've never shot one but am curious of the RWS350 magnum.

With some rifles (Gamo) velocity is what they talk about but they are using abnormally lightweight alloy pellets (PBA)to market maximum velocity.
Momentum and consistency are far more important than velocity and were I to finally get a powerful 177 I'll be shooting some of the heaviest pellets I could get.

Edit to add, check out Straight Shooters pellet sampler packs and see which pellet your rifle shoots best, excellent product!

Last edited by colodog; 12/31/16.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Thanks RexM but "quiet" in my case would be a virtue too. I've been using .22 BB Caps ( ~ 17 grs. at about 700 fps IIRC) for some time and they even have some snap to them. CB caps the same.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for all the info and recommendations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my experience the .22 is far better for dropping things and completing the task then the .177

The only real advantages of the .177 are cost to shoot, and trajectory. With a BDC reticle that problem is solved to 50 meters or a bit further depending upon the wind.

Another experience I have is that the .22 does not need 1000fps that is so common to hear people rave about with the .177 pellets. My rifle shoots a solid 750 with crosman premiers. that will kill a rabbit with a pass through even on head shots at 50 yards. However I find that the JSB pellets which are heavier and only go 700fps from my rifle are more accurate and on the charts show a higher retained velocity at 50 yards.

Move away from the hype of velocity and stay with the down range impact power and the surgical precision of the rifles capability. As stated above the heads are fragile on all the species you will shoot with a pellet gun. The accuracy to make head shots is inherent in the guns.

velocity is almost always good, but in the case of the air rifles not always needed. The Specs on the power of the TX200 are not at the high end of air rifles, not even close. However the accuracy is stellar, making it spectacular for the kinds of vermin and small game suited to air gunning.

The HW95 is a spectacular rifle for this, just add a scope with a BDC reticle to solve the only issue you will have. I like the Vortex scope on mine a lot.

Last edited by JJHACK; 01/03/17.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

JJ, I had really thought .22 from the start; maybe .20 and I would be very content with 650-800 fps. I remember the effectiveness of the Sheridan of many years past.

And the HW95 is what I had in mind before I saw it. Many thanks for the advice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cant post much of my activity with my 1960 sheridan air rifle. It would likely tarnish my impeccable reputation on this site. As a kid I harvested more family meals then I could count. Species nobody would ever imagine were pellet gun worthy.

Stalking skills, shot placement, and the discipline needed to hold and wait for the perfect shot because a miss meant pumping and starting over. In the very europen ethnic area where I grew up the older folks all wanted rabbits and other game birds. My ability to sell as many rabbits as I could kill was unlimited.

That sheridan and I got along very well!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Don't get too hung up on velocity ratings. I shoot a Beeman R9 .22 rated at 800fps - it actually shoots 650 fps with reasonable weight pellets. I have shot hundreds of rock chucks with that rifle - plenty of power in a high quality, super accurate package. I think the bare rifle weighs around 6#. You can buy them new for $450, with a scope a around $550. .22 is the way to go for a hunting gun. The .177 will shoot right through small game and not do the damage that a .22 will. Having owned both and killed lots and lots of rock chucks with each the .22 is a better killer.

Last edited by centershot; 01/06/17.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.