Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JJD Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hunting must be going well Hog Island Meats hasn't returned my call and their mailbox is full. I haven't slept well in a couple days keep thinking about a thousand pound Buffalo laying there dead and I think an elk is a lot of work.Thankful for a friend that is taking time off to come help me.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck---Post a few photos

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hope it isn't this week.It's going to be cold. Single digits

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
JJD Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Leaving tonight hunting Saturday Sunday and Monday if necessary.they are closing the season early as they need to start feeding. Was supposed to be hunting starting on the 3rd but needed to get there sooner due to the early closure

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Should be OK then. Cold sets in Monday night

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

J
JJD Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
If all goes well we'll be ice fishing Jackson Lake Sunday and Monday

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Looking forward to photos of a successful hunt

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't worry about a thousand pound bison. They are much bigger than that! Bring some friends, four at the scene of the crime is not too many. Bring one or more of the surgical blade knives and lots of blades. Bison have terribly thick hides. When you do the deed and walk up to the animal, try to remember your first reaction - it will be classic! Report back here, and good luck!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I sewed king size sheets together for game bags? Standard game bags aren't quite big enough. smile

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck. Keep us posted on how it goes.

I always thought a winter buffalo hunt would be cool.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
JJD: Indeed handling a Buffalo once they have been harvested IS difficult.
Luckily all of the Buffalo "Hunts" I have assisted on were aided by tractors/front loaders.
I love Buffalo meat.
Best of luck on your upcoming Hunt.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bison were stacked up on the wrong side of the river Friday when I was up there. I heard they are crossing the river at night then being shot back across the river in the morning. Typical season.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by forpest
Don't worry about a thousand pound bison. They are much bigger than that! Bring some friends, four at the scene of the crime is not too many. Bring one or more of the surgical blade knives and lots of blades. Bison have terribly thick hides. When you do the deed and walk up to the animal, try to remember your first reaction - it will be classic! Report back here, and good luck!

Definitely take a sharpening stone with you, you'll need it.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Buffler good stuff!! 2010 Wyoming with Jorge,Doc Rocket and eh76

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What part of Wyoming was that ET?

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eastern. "North of Lusk". I fargging LOVE that part of Wyoming!!!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
JJD, Congrats on the Bison. There's an outfit up at Jackson(can't think of their name), that for just a few hundred bucks will recover your animal and put it in your vehicle. You still have to process,but, the worst part is done for you!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Lots of outfits in the Jackson area advertise ,tag and drag. You tag it and they will drag it to your vehicle. The G&F have a list of them. When you shoot one and walk up to it, you sure know, you are looking at a pile of work getting to the processor.

J
JJD Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I am back from my bison hunt.The campfire will not recognize my username on my laptop for some reason. I will post a short report on my phone. After arriving and glassing the Refuge thoroughly with my 15 power minox binoculars(thanks Doug). We only found a herd of bulls and a small group of yearlings on the flats. I decided to go after a yearling with my crossbow as they were on the archery only area and appeared to be the only available legal animals. After trailing the four yearlings for approximately a mile they were distracted by the group of bulls one of which had been wounded by another Hunter.We were able to close the gap to 30 yards and got a good shot in on the largest yearling. It was leaving a good blood trail and they went into a defensive mode circling the wounded one. We were able to close the gap again quickly and the second shot was a complete pass through. In the ribs and out through the shoulder on the far side.It was bleeding profusely at that point and went down quickly.This is my first-ever archery Harvest. Watching the bolt fly through the air and disappear through the buffalo was awesome and I plan on taking the crossfire bow out next year during our other big game seasons in Wyoming. We gutted and skinned the young bull right there rolled it into the jet sled and slid the jet sled up a snow bank into the truck. The Yearling carcass weighs approximately 200 pounds and I expect it to be some of the best meat I have ever harvested. I have many pictures and I will try to post them once the campfire and my laptop decide to communicate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good going, and sounds like some great grub.

1Minute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
534 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.