Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Back to the story.....

After dropping the first dog, I snuck up to the top of the rise to have a looksie for varmint #2. Spotted her right away, lucky that the shot didn't blow her out of the country, most likely due to distance and the terrain.

After dropping prone again, I ranged her at 550. I dialed in the scope as she moved up the hill a bit, & when she sat down, I held on her head to make up for the increased yardage, and let 'er rip. Schit, swing and a miss. She ran a little to my right and stopped broadside. Thinking I must have shot over, I held center, and promptly dropped her on the spot. Hot damn.....22-204 and the Bergers score again.

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
good shooting aalf. I wish we had day time opportunities around here.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So I get back out cruising again, and stop on the west side of a favorite scenic overlook. With the wind out of the northwest, it narrows down where the varmints might be laying. It took only a minute to two to spot something laying on a snow drift in the fence row in the middle of the section. The sun had just came up, so being mostly in the shade, it was tough to tell if it was a coyote or a red fox. I had spotted a fox the day before just across the road from where I was, so I didn't want to waste my time sneaking in on Mr Red if that's what it was. The rangefinder said 1197 yards.

So I drove over to the south end, and there I could confirm that it was Wile E.Coyote. 992 yards, but no way to approach from there, so I drove over to the east side out of sight, and parked by the fence row he was curled up in. Gathered up my stuff and started in. The snow still had a noisy crust on it, so slo mo was the order of the day.

I had bookmarked a couple small trees in the fence that he was laid up by, and the closer I got, I realized it wasn't going to work. I was still 400 yards out, but the ground had a small rise to it, and by the time I figured I would get to where I might get a shot, I would blow him out before even spotting him. So I back tracked a bit, then hung a left to circle around towards him. Well schit, that wasn't going to work either, still due to the rise.

Last chance....I reversed to a little pile of trees & brush in the middle of the field, went prone in the shade in front, and gave 3-4 short series of the bunny blues. Less than 2 minutes in, here he comes. He started and stopped a couple of times, and at the 100 yard mark, worried he might spot my truck, I took the head on shot. A couple of spins & down for the count. 22-204 with the 80 grain Bergers.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
aalf
What kind of speed are you getting out of that 22-204 with the 80 grain
bergers? Thanks for your time. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northcountry
What kind of speed are you getting out of that 22-204 with the 80 grain Bergers?
Thanks for your time. Cheers NC

The 80 grain Bergers are running 3025 in two different 24" barrels, and 3115 in another 26" tube.

I've killed quite a few coyotes with the 75 Bergers in the past. 75 grain Bergers run 3075 in two different 22" barrels, and 3125 in another 24" gun.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Nice hunt and story aalf!

I often find that I get too anxious on yotes.

Give me a whitetail or a mule deer and I'll stalk or wait it out all day.

I need to apply that patience to predators...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
How is that bullet on fur?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LouisB
How is that bullet on fur?

It works just fine, but like most bullets, stay off the fringes.

Broadside behind the shoulder, 75 or 80's, leaves maybe a nickle sized exit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
aalf, good shooting there.

I have been out several times and always with a pard. Luck would have it they are getting the coyotes...have not fired a shot.

Decided to change my luck and went solo with a muzzleloader.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nice job Wayne..... I don't trust myself with a single shot..... whistle

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[Linked Image]

3 dog Saturday night.

For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bbassi
[Linked Image]

3 dog Saturday night.

Great way to celebrate your birthday.

Well done and happy birthday.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 02/12/17.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]

Brett
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
strawbarry blonde male. second one this week to come charging in to female whimpers. Tis the season I guess.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice!

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks Roundoak. Hey - why are almost all the pictures this year from the eastern half of the county? Did you guys out west get bored of posting or are you just having trouble hitting chit? whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So I get out cruising again, right at the start of the big warm-up, knowing the snow is on it's last leg. Took a while, but finally spotted one way up a valley out mousing w/o a care in the world.

Drove out of sight, parked the truck, donned the whites, grabbed the gun, & headed out. With a couple warmer days the snow had settled some, making a harder crust that I could stay on top of, not breaking through every other step, or sounding like the whole grade school class.

I skirted the south hill staying out of sight till that petered out, then snuck around the end till he came into sight. Laid down prone and hit him with the range finder....315 yards. Dialed in the drop, held dead center behind the shoulder, and let 'er go. Didn't hear the kawop, but knew he was dead man running. He made it about 50 yards or so and went ass over teacup. 22-204 with the 80 grain Bergers again.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No pics, but just busted the lead dog coyote at 388 yards from the back porch, was having coffee reading the campfire and watchng the North pasture, 4 brown spots were moving in the yellow grass.

Spun the CDS on my old 300 Win Mag heavy rifle, it didn't disappoint, 208 gr A-Max's leaving at 3K with Retumbo did the dirty work. wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A twelve pack of buzzards are now doing reconnaissance flybys. grin

Trump Won!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bbassi
Thanks Roundoak. Hey - why are almost all the pictures this year from the eastern half of the county? Did you guys out west get bored of posting or are you just having trouble hitting chit? whistle

Weather has been schitt in much of the western USA this winter...

Sun was out yesterday....so I went to take a walk in the woods... a usual 3 mile circuit close to home...

I don't know how far I made it, before turning around and coming home....the mud was ridiculous.. you step on the ground and water comes oozing up.. even with rubber boots on, it was a real mess...

so varmints might be getting a reprieve for right now.. but in a month or two, that will change real quick...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,591
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.