Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
Thanks Bob,
I am still in the planning phase on my pre-64, fwt 30-06.

I like the profile of the pounder stock, but suspect it may be to light and stiff for a 30-06?

I have a 7lb. 30-06 and a 6.25lb 270 and that's all the recoil I want to deal with.

According to the Brown Precision the kevlar only saves 4 to 5 ounces.

My goal is 7.5 to 7.75 lbs with a Leupold scope and Talley mounts.
Do you think the fiberglass Brown stock will get me there?

Not Bob, but my pounder is on a pre 64 model 70 338wm and it works great. Absolutely no complaints here..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: That's how I figure it. Some rifles I could care less about but I did not build this one to flip..

It will last 20+ years like my last PoundR.

[Linked Image]

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by irfubar
Thanks Bob,
I am still in the planning phase on my pre-64, fwt 30-06.

I like the profile of the pounder stock, but suspect it may be to light and stiff for a 30-06?

I have a 7lb. 30-06 and a 6.25lb 270 and that's all the recoil I want to deal with.

According to the Brown Precision the kevlar only saves 4 to 5 ounces.

My goal is 7.5 to 7.75 lbs with a Leupold scope and Talley mounts.
Do you think the fiberglass Brown stock will get me there?

Yes, it will be 7.25 lbs, plus or minus an ounce or two with a 2.5-8 Leopold scope and Talley mounts, because that is exactly what I put together.

FYI, bedding, fill, and finish for the stock can easily add 4-5 oz. Mine is finished with sandable primer and Rustoleum textured paint.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weight can vary in Brown Prec. stock production runs (in the same model stock).
When I purchased mine , Mr Brown offered me an unfinished glass stock from his inventory
that was closer to 1.25 lb rather than the regular 1.5lb

Brown price list states that Pounder blanks can range from 15-17 oz.

Mr. Brown personally talked me out of Kevlar, because of the higher difficulty involved in finishing a Kevlar stock
for the DIY gunsmith. He said I might be more than happy with glass at 1.25lb and an easier finishing job,though
I did opt for the carbon addition option in the forend, for stiffness.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
bsa: That's how I figure it. Some rifles I could care less about but I did not build this one to flip..

[Linked Image]

I never tire of that picture. Great rifle there Bob..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BlackBart
Brad- thanks good to know that this an option for the SA.....decisions...

EdM- nice looking garage there, that Mach 1 looks sharp from what I can see.

[Linked Image]

grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

Agreed as you know Bobby, they are hard to beat!

[Linked Image]

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Guys, what's a finished Brown Pounder weigh? (w/ paint, 1" pad).

IIRC the Standard Fiberglass Brown's weigh in around 24-25 oz's finished?

Thinking of one for my M70 300 WSM... Really don't like McMillan's M70 Stocks (other than the Legend), so it's either Brown or Bansner.

Thx.

Brad;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the new year has been treating you and yours well thus far and you're keeping warm enough in this latest cold snap.

I am cognizant you're inquiring about a Brown stock and merely mention this option because - well it's an option other than McMillan, Brown or Bansner.

Stuart up at Wildcat Composites out of Sherwood Park, AB - near Edmonton - will make a stock blank for considerably less than the dollar figures being tossed about.

Added to that you folks south of the medicine line will get a near 30% discount because of exchange rates being what they are.

Please note this is a blank here being weighed - no recoil pad, finish or bedding - but sling swivels are installed.

[Linked Image]

He runs a carbon fiber I-beam up the center of the stock and does poured in pillars so they are very, very stiff for as light as they are.

Anyway another thought on the subject and nothing more Brad. Good luck with your rifle whichever way you decide and all the best to you all in 2017.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Starman
Weight can vary in Brown Prec. stock production runs (in the same model stock).
When I purchased mine , Mr Brown offered me an unfinished glass stock from his inventory
that was closer to 1.25 lb rather than the regular 1.5lb

Brown price list states that Pounder blanks can range from 15-17 oz.

Mr. Brown personally talked me out of Kevlar, because of the higher difficulty involved in finishing a Kevlar stock
for the DIY gunsmith. He said I might be more than happy with glass at 1.25lb and an easier finishing job,though
I did opt for the carbon addition option in the forend, for stiffness.

Yes .......Mark Brown (or was it Chet?) tried to talk me out of a PoundR but I didn't listen then and wouldn't listen now. The PoundR is distinctly different from anything else he makes. I spec'd the rifle above for a buddy and Brow said the same thing to him.....I said ignore what he said and get the PoundR........ grin I knew I was going to buy the rifle and finish it up.

He is not so much talking you out of it as explaining in advance that the weight difference is only 4-5 ounces,so probably don't want to listen to whining customers who paid so much extra for only 5 ounces of weight savings. People complain about everything. You gotta read between the lines.

It would be inaccurate to assume he doesn't like a product he sells. It is superior in every way to his FB models

The stock is also much stiffer than any fiberglass stock he sells....owned them all in everything from 257 Roberts,5-6 270's, 7 mags,300 mags 338, 375.....you name it.The stocks can vary in weight but it isn't anything to get excited over.

You can also add graphite and kevlar to certain areas of a Brown FG stock to stiffen and strengthen it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RickF

[Linked Image]

Agreed as you know Bobby, they are hard to beat!

[Linked Image]

Rick they are a slam dunk and I don't understand anyone building a 270/280/7x57 with synthetic stock can pick anything else,,,,,I can't,despite the additional cost which might have some sticker shock but goes away over time. wink

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It would be inaccurate to assume he doesn't like a product he sells.

Absolutely, yet I never got the impression he didn't like his own Kevlar product,he was being honest by relaying
to me the realities involved in finishing a Kevlar stock...trying to avoid creating customers who ring up expressing
their frustration about working with the Kevlar they ordered....when life could be made so much easier for both of
them by selecting a glass stock 4-5oz heavier.
As you say some customers will whinge about anything and everything and Kevlar could easily spark that kind of thing.
Brown doesn't really know what kind of customer he has on the end of the line when they are ordering...Prevention if
one can achieve it, is much easier than cure.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah that could be it. I never thought about it much and just grabbed the PoundR smile

But I had a lot of his other stocks as well.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/04/17.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
BC pretty cool stock .

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
$800 will not buy a Brown Kevlar stock, bedded, 1" recoil pad, and painted.

True. If you have Mark do it you are looking at more like $1300 I think.

IR: Recoil with the 30/06 FW and PoundR I think you will be OK. It ain't a BR rifle.... smile

You are correct.
My Kevlar and Pierce Ti receiver.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifle Butch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick they are a slam dunk and I don't understand anyone building a 270/280/7x57 with synthetic stock can pick anything else,,,,,I can't,despite the additional cost which might have some sticker shock but goes away over time. wink

Absolutely Bob. As we have discussed before if you're building a rifle because you are bored and you expect to flip it next year? Not worth the hassle or the expense. But if you're building a rifle (like the 280 in my pic?) to have a rifle and to use it? For a lightweight model 70 there is nothing else that is close.

Dwayne showed the Wildcats stock from Alberta. We tend to forget about those. Phenomenal quality. My only critique with the Wildcats is they are all, to the best of my knowledge, copies of factory stocks. I think the only stock he builds for a lightweight model 70 is the model 70 featherweight with schnabel foreend tip. So his stock shapes don't keep up with some of the others. But they are very light and stiff.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RickF

Absolutely Bob. As we have discussed before if you're building a rifle because you are bored and you expect to flip it next year? Not worth the hassle or the expense. But if you're building a rifle (like the 280 in my pic?) to have a rifle and to use it? For a lightweight model 70 there is nothing else that is close.

Dwayne showed the Wildcats stock from Alberta. We tend to forget about those. Phenomenal quality. My only critique with the Wildcats is they are all, to the best of my knowledge, copies of factory stocks. I think the only stock he builds for a lightweight model 70 is the model 70 featherweight with schnabel foreend tip. So his stock shapes don't keep up with some of the others. But they are very light and stiff.

Rick if you belong to the "Build A Month Club", and chase the next hot cartridge as soon as it hits the Internet, the Pound'R may not be for you....... smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/05/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW: I purchased my glass blank in early 89', so nearly 28 yrs ago and chose to have Brown fill and prime the blank.
Brown did not offer filled & primed option on Kevlar - and to this day they still do not offer than option on Kevlar.
F&P option not being available on difficult to work with Kevlar, is basically what turned me away from a 'Pounder'.
It was my first DIY full epoxy bed and finish painted stock attempt, so I didnt want too much hassle first time around.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I have 4 Brown pounders (Ruger 77 tang-long- 6.5 Rm, R700-3006, 2 R700's -7MSM) and have filled and finished them all myself. My finish isn't perfect but I also don't do auto paint and body for a living. I have worked fiberglass boats and done Bondo repairs before so I didn't find them so hard. The big thing is to not be in a hurry. I really like mine and would use them again in a heart beat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I have a 1986 M700 Mountain Rifle KS that was equipped with a Brown Kevlar stock from the factory. Finished weight with the sling studs and Remington pad is 18.05 ounces.

I must've been smoked-up the first time I weighed it. I recalibrated my scales and the weight of the above stock is 27oz.

Last edited by StudDuck; 01/05/17.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,413
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.