Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I heard there is an old lighthouse at the south end, and that it is a good place to hunt Jap fishing floats. Anyone been out there?

BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If you're talking about the Kayak Island that is in the Gulf, east of the Copper River Delta, there isn't a lighthouse there.

I've flown over it, very low, but have never landed there.

I imagine you could find anything along there. I've seen some interesting stuff washed ashore along the coast there. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I know a guy who flies out of Cordova, was going to hit him up about a drop-off. could a wheel plane land on the beach anywhere, or better to do floats?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Driven by a few times in boats. The lighthouse is very dramatic and the scenery is very cool. There are no beaches on the head... Cape St. Elias... but the beaches to the South probably see little traffic and might have some good stuff on them.

Climbing up to the lighthouse would get your blood pumping. It is high and steep.

Bering stopped there very briefly and his naturalist, Steller, on board was given just a couple hours to look around. He saw his first Steller's jay there and named it after himself.

The channel between island and mainland is tricky, requires local knowledge to run and looks very interesting.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Look at Katala, just north of Kayak for a cool destination. Was the first AK oilfield. You can find the old wells with their wooden, wire-wound casing. The old townsite is hard to find. Would be a neat side trip to the lighthouse.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
almost afraid to go back to AK....I don't know if I could leave it twice!! we are listing your rhubarb patch for sale, and the cabin along with it, but if it doesn't sell this year maybe we will move back up!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We had a spooky experience in Kayak Entrance, MOB...

Sort of sours me on the desire to go spend time there. Was struck by how few rockfish and lingcod we found there. Like none.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kid0917
almost afraid to go back to AK....I don't know if I could leave it twice!! we are listing your rhubarb patch for sale, and the cabin along with it, but if it doesn't sell this year maybe we will move back up!

THAT rhubarb is hard to come by... Ironbender stops by every once in awhile spreading his style of horse manure and the rhubarb just grows!

wink

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
yeah, well, he uses his noggin to bend the iron, so.....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
We had a spooky experience in Kayak Entrance, MOB...

Sort of sours me on the desire to go spend time there. Was struck by how few rockfish and lingcod we found there. Like none.

What was spooky about it?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MOB...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If not for an extreme piece of luck someone would have been left drifting in Kayak Entrance with zero chance of making it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Gotcha. Certainly spooky for the MOB and the thing that'll keep a skipper awake at night.

Was the MOB from your vessel?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

THAT rhubarb is hard to come by... Ironbender stops by every once in awhile spreading his style of horse manure and the rhubarb just grows!

wink

I gots da goood chit, mang! And, it's legal.

I understand I have that rhubarb on backorder.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
yeah, well, he uses his noggin to bend the iron, so.....

What a gomer you are. I use a hammer. Noggin is the 'anvil'. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
about time you showed up,
how's it been Mike? Happy NY!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
about time you showed up,
how's it been Mike? Happy NY!

Back atcha!

Evah thang is good here. Sounds like you have your next move in the makings?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
If you're talking about the Kayak Island that is in the Gulf, east of the Copper River Delta, there isn't a lighthouse there.

I've flown over it, very low, but have never landed there.

I imagine you could find anything along there. I've seen some interesting stuff washed ashore along the coast there. grin

Ed

He has his directions screwed up. The lighthouse is out on Cape St Elias, the western end of the island.

It is way up there...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Gotcha. Certainly spooky for the MOB and the thing that'll keep a skipper awake at night.

Was the MOB from your vessel?

Yes, an absolute idiot, previously warned started washing windows around the outside without a watcher... wearing Crocs... New owner had never pulled an anchor before so I stepped back to give him a pointer or two and saw the swimmer trying desperately to get on the boat... and failing.

Had I not made that step back no one would have known for a long time...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...He has his directions screwed up. The lighthouse is out on Cape St Elias, the western end of the island.

It is way up there...

Thanks, there for a little bit I thought I was losing my mind. Again.

Speaking of Katalla, a friend of mine owns several pieces of property there. He once told me that the Government shut down the oil production during WWII as they needed the tankers for the war effort and the oil companies have kept their leases current as there is still a lot of oil there.

All I really know about Katalla is that there are some really big Brown Bears there. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.