Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Aren't 94s being made in Belgium now?
If they moved the Model 70 production there (where Browning had many awesome quality firearms made) people would want it moved to the USA and b'..ch about foreign quality.
If they are moved back to the USA, people will b'...ch about the quality just like pre-64 vs post-64 and beating up the Japanese made guns in years past.
It ain't my granpa's Winchester blah blah blah

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by jwall
Good firearms didn't cease to be manufactured in 1964 !

You just caused a few SCD's.

WEll......., it wasn't my intention but I RECALL (as remember) the early Post 64s. I actually had one in 243 Win. It shot very well. It had the -early white line spacer & black forend tip.

Reading the 'gun rags' (being PC) youada (grin) thot I had a TURD.
The mags made me FEEL I had a second rate rifle so I moved it. B A D mistake! ! !

There was NOT 1 THING WRONG with that rifle.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Right or wrong, Winchester will sell just as many rifles with the MOA as they would have if they kept the old trigger. Where Winchester screwed up is by letting Kimber beat them-and continue to do so-with a real quality LW. A computer program could have the design worked out in 24 hours or less.

It would be interesting to know why they refuse to do so.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even more interesting if they did...

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I personally dont have a thing against a closed box design trigger so the MOA trigger, Weatherby, Tikka and Remington triggers are all fine with me, i have never had any trouble with triggers on any of my rifles and i have owned over a 100 centerfire rifles from almost every popular manufacturer.....I fail to see the romance some guy's have with the old rifle design's, I tend to prefer the newer rifles that have tighter tolerances thanks to CNC machined technology, the rifles that are made today have fit and finish that could only have been dreamed of back in "The good old days"...If your so stuck on the old model 70 open style trigger im sure you can still buy one and install it on a brand new model 70 thats made today and have the best of both worlds..........Hb

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 16bore
Even more interesting if they did...

Do it right and Kimber would be on the hind teet.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As far as I know the old ones don't fit the new and none are making one that will.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
Aren't 94s being made in Belgium now?
If they moved the Model 70 production there (where Browning had many awesome quality firearms made) people would want it moved to the USA and b'..ch about foreign quality.
If they are moved back to the USA, people will b'...ch about the quality just like pre-64 vs post-64 and beating up the Japanese made guns in years past.
It ain't my granpa's Winchester blah blah blah

94's are made in Japan. That is Savage_99's cue.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think most people here know I'm a Kimber fan... the only way I could ever see "improving it" would be giving it a no.2 contour and an original M70 style trigger! The original M70 trigger is a "hunters trigger." However, its "closed" trigger is about as good as the genre gets.

It's unfortunate the M70 Classic went away. Quality was spotty for sure. Anyone that thinks otherwise hasn't been around enough of them. I've owned well over 20. But, it had "the" M70 trigger and was made where God intended M70's to be made, New Haven, CT!

I have a 2009 SC production M70 Extreme Weather 300 WSM. The overall machining quality is better than the NH M70's. I used an Ernie The Gunsmith Trigger Spring to get its MOA trigger to a crisp 2.5 lbs. It feels as good as any of my Kimbers. And best of all, the thing feeds and extracts better than any M70 Classic or Kimber 8400 WSM I've ever had. And it shoots better than any of them too.

BUT, while I could choke down SC production, and maybe even the MOA trigger, having "Portugal" stamped on the barrel is a deal killer for me. Nothing so marked will ever see an elk hunt in the Rocky Mountains while I'm carrying it. Illogical perhaps, but there it is.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I think Winchester is a thing of the past. But also the present and the future.

I hope they won't have to stoop to Axis or American or various other cheap rifles on the market to stay in business though.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I own two pre-64's, both customs in 358 Win and 270 Win (this a '39 piece), and two NH's in 375 H&H and 416 Rem and cannot call any better than the rest in functionality. They are all great rifles.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
I think most people here know I'm a Kimber fan... the only way I could ever see "improving it" would be giving it a no.2 contour and an original M70 style trigger! The original M70 trigger is a "hunters trigger." However, its "closed" trigger is about as good as the genre gets.

It's unfortunate the M70 Classic went away. Quality was spotty for sure. Anyone that thinks otherwise hasn't been around enough of them. I've owned well over 20. But, it had "the" M70 trigger and was made where God intended M70's to be made, New Haven, CT!

I have a 2009 SC production M70 Extreme Weather 300 WSM. The overall machining quality is better than the NH M70's. I used an Ernie The Gunsmith Trigger Spring to get its MOA trigger to a crisp 2.5 lbs. It feels as good as any of my Kimbers. And best of all, the thing feeds and extracts better than any M70 Classic or Kimber 8400 WSM I've ever had. And it shoots better than any of them too.

BUT, while I could choke down SC production, and maybe even the MOA trigger, having "Portugal" stamped on the barrel is a deal killer for me. Nothing so marked will ever see an elk hunt in the Rocky Mountains while I'm carrying it. Illogical perhaps, but there it is.

Bravo......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like M70's and don't really care if it's a pre64, a classic, or a push feed. They all make nice platforms for certain projects and some are good investments.

Had to talk myself out of a 80's PF M70 in 338WM today. They wanted $500 which was probably fair, but I just don't know what I'd do with a 338?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I really like the "XTR" featherweight push feeds. IMO they feed slicker than the Classics. I like all of them though, only ones that gave me trouble was the late production classics.

I really wish winchester would re-design the featherweight stock though. I dont mind the lines, its the over the top checkering with ribbons that leaves me cold.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The FW stocks are a bit whore-ish in my opinion. Nothing a couple rattle cans can't fix though. smile

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[quote][/quote]
Or Alaska Brad. We're on the same page. I've got two builds on M70s. One on an NH with old style trigger. The other on an FN with MOA trigger. Redneck did both and both shoot great. But the NH had ths scope mount holes off a little and needs shims. The FN made seems flawless... I put an Ernie spring in the MOA trigger and it breaks like glass. FN makes a great M70, but do we need Portugal stamped on the barrel...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DeskJockey

Or Alaska Brad. We're on the same page. I've got two builds on M70s. One on an NH with old style trigger. The other on an FN with MOA trigger. Redneck did both and both shoot great. But the NH had ths scope mount holes off a little and needs shims. The FN made seems flawless... I put an Ernie spring in the MOA trigger and it breaks like glass. FN makes a great M70, but do we need Portugal stamped on the barrel...

That is one thing that irritates me when purchasing firearms, I do not want half of the dictionary stamped all over it, I would prefer it limited to 'serial number, makers mark, chambered cartridge, and year/date on receiver'.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
The FW stocks are a bit whore-ish in my opinion. Nothing a couple rattle cans can't fix though. smile

HERETIC ! ! whistle
laugh laugh

Red--Blue
Ford--Chevy

I've always like the FW stock.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
.If your so stuck on the old model 70 open style trigger im sure you can still buy one and install it on a brand new model 70 thats made today and have the best of both worlds..........Hb
Oh, no, you can't... They're NOT interchangeable.. BACO made sure of THAT..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by MadMooner

HERETIC ! ! whistle
laugh laugh

Red--Blue
Ford--Chevy

I've always like the FW stock.

Jerry
Me too!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.