-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
30-06 SS FWT in a FWT McMillan has always had my eye..

GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree, that would be an excellent rig 16Bore.....I love the featherweight stock........Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
.If your so stuck on the old model 70 open style trigger im sure you can still buy one and install it on a brand new model 70 thats made today and have the best of both worlds..........Hb
Oh, no, you can't... They're NOT interchangeable.. BACO made sure of THAT..

how about a nice new Timney trigger? I bet its enclosed though so i guess that would be out of consideration too..........Hb

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
.If your so stuck on the old model 70 open style trigger im sure you can still buy one and install it on a brand new model 70 thats made today and have the best of both worlds..........Hb
Oh, no, you can't... They're NOT interchangeable.. BACO made sure of THAT..

how about a nice new Timney trigger? I bet its enclosed though so i guess that would be out of consideration too..........Hb
Check around - and you'll find a lot of Timney owners that are unhappy with theirs after a period of time..

Think about something for a minute.. Nearly everybody considers Mausers to be an exceptional rifle in design and function. In fact, many rifle makers have basically copied that design - and the NH Winchesters were one of 'em.

Note the design of the Mauser trigger. Is THAT enclosed?

Here's the blowup:

[Linked Image]

See how simple that is? Simple function, very few parts, easy to clean, easy to service/or fix in the field, strong & reliable.

The NH M70 was designed with the same idea in mind.. Simple, easy to adjust, user-friendly, AND reliable. Compare that to Remington which has more trigger recalls than Carter has liver pills - not to mention the lawsuits involved.. Now, if the owners of rifles with enclosed triggers were as careful, fussy and maintenance-minded as you and I (and the majority of shooters on this site) there won't be much trouble.. I can't speak for you, but when I'm done with a rifle at the end of the day I usually take it out of the stock, check/inspect/lube (if necessary) and put it back in the stock for a final wipe-down of exterior surfaces.

But 75% ++ of owners of those same firearms usually don't remove 'em from the stocks more than once/twice in their lifetimes..not to mention doing a rudimentary cleaning. Guess which system's gonna fail first?

See what I mean? smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Redneck: Based upon your experience, are there any good/workable triggers rolling off the assembly line today?

Not trying to flare-up anyone, just getting ready to purchase a couple more rifles.

PM me if you'd like.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I honestly am not familiar with all of them - since I primarily work with M70s, M700s..

But one comes to mind - in fact I just worked on it - a M77 Ruger..

Is it the BEST trigger? No. But is it rather simple in design? Yes. Is it an open-design? Pretty much, yes. Is it user-friendly (cleaning/maintaining)? Yes.. Can it be improved (kits available/gunsmith work)? Yes..

Remove from the stock and place it aside.. ONE simple pin to slide out and the trigger drops free, along with it's spring. It's now open enough to clean most areas. One pin holding the safety lever and sear in place.. Push the pin from the opposite side of the safety just enough to free the sear and now the entire area's open for cleaning and lubrication.. Easy peasy.. Putting it all back together can usually be accomplished via your fingers.. Once in a while a small punch helps to move the sear pin.

Doesn't get much simpler..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I honestly am not familiar with all of them - since I primarily work with M70s, M700s..

Is it the BEST trigger? No. But is it rather simple in design? Yes. Is it an open-design? Pretty much, yes. Is it user-friendly (cleaning/maintaining)? Yes.. Can it be improved (kits available/gunsmith work)? Yes..

Remove from the stock and place it aside.. ONE simple pin to slide out and the trigger drops free, along with it's spring. It's now open enough to clean most areas. One pin holding the safety lever and sear in place.. Push the pin from the opposite side of the safety just enough to free the sear and now the entire area's open for cleaning and lubrication.. Easy peasy.. Putting it all back together can usually be accomplished via your fingers.. Once in a while a small punch helps to move the sear pin.

I don't think Ruger uses that trigger anymore...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I am open minded about the M70s but I'm down to a handful at the moment. I kinda like the Featherweight stock. OK it's a bit flamboyant even whorish but then a lady has to make a living too.

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

R E A L L Y ?

When was the 308 W introd.?

When was the 7 RM introd.?

When was the 7-08 introd.?

When was the 260 R introd.?

Good firearms didn't cease to be manufactured in 1964 !

Jerry

BTW - I didn't mention RUGER firearms. When were they introd.?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pointer

I don't think Ruger uses that trigger anymore...
It appears that they do. From their website:

[Linked Image]

Just like the one I worked on Tuesday..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've owned a few Ruger rifles, but for whatever reason, have never considered them worth having.

Dunno...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 16bore
I've owned a few Ruger rifles, but for whatever reason, have never considered them worth having.

Dunno...
I hear ya.. I've only got a couple myself - but then I have a ton of NH M70s.. laugh

Some Ruger owners have a beef with the accuracy, the (somewhat) loosey-goosey actions and a stock that can be a little clunky.. Most perform OK but I do think accuracy is a bit of a crap-shoot..

However, that can easily apply to all makes at times..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For sure. I'm trying to talk myself out of a $400 PF Lightweight M70 that I don't want and don't need.

1st world problems.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I like the Ruger LC4 trigger but im like you guys, ive tried several times but just cant warm up to their centerfire rifles......I never had real good luck with accuracy ............Hb

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by bangeye
There have really been no significant improvements to hunting arms in the past 50 years at least some may even go back to the 7x57 and 30-06 .

R E A L L Y ?

When was the 308 W introd.?

When was the 7 RM introd.?

When was the 7-08 introd.?

When was the 260 R introd.?

et. al.

NOW, are you talking 'firearms' or cartridges or both?

Good firearms didn't cease to be manufactured in 1964 !

I have & have had rifles MUCH better than those made by...
1967......2017-50 = 1967 I'd really hate or despise being limited to rifles made BY 1967.

Jerry

Sorry to upset you Jerry but frankly no I don't think any of the cartridges you mentioned offer any real significant game gathering advantage over any of a dozen other midsize cartridges that date over 50 years such as the 270, 30-06 6.5x55 or the 7mm Shultz and Larson 300 H&H nor do I think that there has been any really significant improvements in rifle designs that significantly improve over rifles designed 50 years ago and I own several ruger and howa based rifles. They are good rifles but not significantly better than the guns available in the 60's . By the way the ruger 77 was introduced 49 years ago and the 308 and 7 mag cartridges.are both over 50 years old. Sure that are some really nice rifles out there but I guess it comes down to what one considers significant. Like I said the biggest improvements impo have been in optics and possibly the synthetic stocks. Even the partition bullet is over 50 years old. Rifles styles are different than in the past with more lightweight styles as say your model 70 FWT vs a 1965 model 70 with a full monte carlo stock and heavier contour barrel but the actual rifle design is basically unchanged from 50 years ago.

Last edited by bangeye; 01/05/17.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd take ONE Ruger over 10 Winchesters.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
B eye

Honestly was/am not upset/angry. I feel there are 'more' rifles of quality available than there were 50+ yrs ago.

I also see real advantages in some cartridges SINCE many of those available 50+ yrs ago.

I think it would be a shame IF we were 'limited' to the rifles & cartridges available 50 + yrs ago.

Some people like cottage cheese...
Some people like Sour Kraut,,,,

I'm glad we ALL don't like the SAME things.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
PS -

It took me over a YEAR to get that 'old' 6.5x55 that I bought from you, UP to modern standards. whistle

grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bangeye
I think the situation is for hunting rifles the era of quality large corporation mass produced guns is over. Large business that focuses on increasing sales 5% every quarter is not going to find much satisfaction in the sporting arms market place in the future. Why? The country is awash with good used hunting arms. The number of hunters and places to hunt are diminishing. There have really been no significan improvements to hunting arms in the past 50 years at least some may even go back to the 7x57 and 30-06 . Scopes have seen some benefits from technology but rifles and shotguns not so much. So I think nice hunting guns are going to become the domain of the smaller companies and the majors are going to be one more focused on defense contracts and maybe still provide some cheaper low end mass market firearms.

This, unfortunately. The day of high-quality American hunting rifles is long past, since all of those previous ones still exist. There is only so many people that need a hunting rifle, and the supply outweighs the demand. Quality hunting rifles moving into the future will be a boutique or custom business.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A hunting rifle is about the only thing you can buy that's not obsolete after 50 years. Or even 100 for that matter.

$2,000 on something with that kind of life span isn't really a bad deal, except for the seller.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,235
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.