Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
No significant improvements in factory rifles over the last 50 years? Sure the basic concept of a bolt action hunting rifle has not changed nor should it but What about the rifles these days that are made with computer controlled CNC machines with tolerances that could have only been dreamed back in the "Good old days"? Not to mention the new synthetic stock materials that have made modern day high end rifles almost impervious to weather and hard use?....I say the the high end rifles coming off the lines today are light years ahead of rifles built half a century ago.........I do agree that the market for quality rifles has shrunk considerably and will only get smaller..........Hb

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
V. Hb

YEP !

Edit to add : this thread originally was focused on the Win 70 and morphed into "American Made " rifles.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 01/05/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Then why don't the young people of today want a quality rifle?

Bob may be right in that the majority today's hunters, for the most part, don't hunt all that hard physically, but do their hunting mainly out of stands. Yet it seems as if many of the hard core hunters that post here are willing to buy quality.

Back in the day, good rifles were not cheap. A Model 70 based on current dollars cost at least as much as today and maybe more.

Have small groups from Bic rifles taken the place of the desire for a good rifle that has proven itself over time? As if a 0.25in smaller group is going to save a hunt.

Have places like the fire, with its many nitpicking threads on this caliber vs another birthed a new generation that is willing to be satisfied with a throwaway rifle? It works for now, I'll want something else tomorrow. So what if it is only worth $50. 20years down the road?

I don't see it as a disposable income issue. At least not all that much from what I see here. Many go thru them like buying and trying different brands of boots.

Interesting change in values from back in the day.

Good is good, I'm personally not all that concerned with where it is made.

Addition: And who does make a great American rifle today? Many say Remingtons suck. Winchester the same with the trigger. Kimber roulette. Rugars are crude, heavy and should have left the safety on the tang. And those beetches don't always originate with the younger crowd. Maybe the back in the day boys are the reason.

Last edited by battue; 01/05/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by battue

Bob may be right in that the majority today's hunters, for the most part, don't hunt all that hard physically, but do their hunting mainly out of stands. Yet it seems as if many of the hard core hunters that post here are willing to buy quality.

Back in the day, good rifles were not cheap. A Model 70 based on current dollars cost at least as much as today and maybe more.

Have small groups from Bic rifles taken the place of the desire for a good rifle that has proven itself over time? As if a 0.25in smaller group is going to save a hunt.

Have places like the fire, with its many nitpicking threads on this caliber vs another birthed a new generation that is willing to be satisfied with a throwaway rifle? It works for now, I'll want something else tomorrow. So what if it is only worth $50. 20years down the road?

I don't see it as a disposable income issue. At least not all that much from what I see here. Many go thru them like buying and trying different brands of boots.

Not just young people...and it is very simple, a lack of knowledge and an unwillingness to save and scrounge for a protracted period of time.

AKA..."I WANT IT NOW...WAHHH!"

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's just a different time Harry.

I'll use Ruger as an example. They're no longer privately owned. The executives answer to a board of directors. Profit is King in the eyes of a shareholder. Even though few manufacturers will state it, quality isn't their top priority. Reducing costs and increasing margins are their ultimate goals.

The American Rifle is affordable and almost disposable. That's the new normal with the younger generation. Vehicles, furniture and even some new homes are no longer made to last a lifetime. There is no pride of ownership. They expect to buy another one in the near future.

When I was in Wyoming with Ruger this past summer, we were accompanied by several engineers. We all talked product and design. Lots of ideas were put on the table. One of the things I immediately noticed -- the engineers were young. I felt like an old man and I'm only 45!

The new budget rifles are as accurate, maybe more so, than the "nicer" rifles that have been around for a while. They may not last as long, but it's all about instant gratification.

I still like nice rifles and you still like nice rifles, but I assure you we're the minority. And as bad as I hate to say it, we're not their target market.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
According to an NRA website an original Hawkin cost between $18 to $30. Put that in the perspective of today's dollars and you will see that "back in the day" the serious hunters were willing to pony up for quality.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm sure you have it right.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yep, Smoker is right........Hb

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ruger didn't know what they had when they dropped the RSM Express rifles. They should have kept producing them.

Savage didn't know what they had when they dropped their model 99. Should have made them limited and give them really good wood.

Winchester still makes a rifle. However, I went through three Alaskans and only one had a 3.5lb trigger pull. One had a 4.5 lb trigger pull and the third had 6.5 lb trigger pull. That probably won't do. The Ruger American Rifles are accurate but put them through hell and I don't know if they would take it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Depending on the area of the country you live...the Model 70 has been a thing of the past long before BACO took over. Which may have something to do with BACO taking over...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Depending on the area of the country you live...the Model 70 has been a thing of the past long before BACO took over. Which may have something to do with BACO taking over...

Care to explain?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

"Addition: And who does make a great American rifle today?"
quote from battue:

I would answer with the Montana Rifle Co. 1999 X2. I have two of them and the only thing I can find to "complain" about is the weight. The weight is really not a factor to me, but others seem to think they are too heavy.

Plus they have many features similar to the Winchester 70 and don't weigh anymore than most pre 64s.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've got a generation that will spend a day waiting in line for a phone, I don't think they'll ever be convinced that something should be almost a permanent fixture. Everything is temporary and the only thing exciting is the next thing.

Maybe it all started in 1965 at Winchester and had been spiraling down ever since. I've only handled a few pre '64 70's and never felt such a smooth bolt. I'd argue it's custom by today's standards and the lack of CNC and hand fitted parts is what made them what they are.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 16bore
We've got a generation that will spend a day waiting in line for a phone, I don't think they'll ever be convinced that something should be almost a permanent fixture. Everything is temporary and the only thing exciting is the next thing.

Maybe it all started in 1965 at Winchester and had been spiraling down ever since. I've only handled a few pre '64 70's and never felt such a smooth bolt. I'd argue it's custom by today's standards and the lack of CNC and hand fitted parts is what made them what they are.

Bingo....

No mention of Dakota M76?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I think guns like the ruger american were put in for people that didn't want to spend a lot of money on a gun. Don't get me wrong I have 3 Americans they are nice but in my eyes they are not a model 70. But the Americans will shoot good groups and that is really how they are selling these rifles

Tater
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a MRC that is as smooth as any Pre 64 and a solid rifle. A little heavy, but I've carried it all day without giving up. Did cut a couple inches off the barrel that improved balance greatly. Another 2 Kimber Montanas that are slick. One has a little heavier barrel than it came with and balance would be hard to improve on. All three shoot good.

However, will agree the pre-64 70's are a standard for smooth and solid.

Last edited by battue; 01/05/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BobNH- I've never even seen one in the flesh...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
No significant improvements in factory rifles over the last 50 years? Sure the basic concept of a bolt action hunting rifle has not changed nor should it but What about the rifles these days that are made with computer controlled CNC machines with tolerances that could have only been dreamed back in the "Good old days"? Not to mention the new synthetic stock materials that have made modern day high end rifles almost impervious to weather and hard use?....I say the the high end rifles coming off the lines today are light years ahead of rifles built half a century ago.........I do agree that the market for quality rifles has shrunk considerably and will only get smaller..........Hb

You're mistaken bacon. CNC is used by manufacturers to ensure no human hands are used in production. Look at 1911s for example. The hand fitting of parts is what separates the men from the boys. Hand fit parts can be every bit as tight or tighter than CNC. Look at a 100 year old Smith revolver or 1894. Mated parts are so tight lines are almost invisible. That level of craftsmanship is hard to find even with a custom gun today.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some of the finest shotguns made today are primarily CNC and then hand fitted. The old ones made entirely by hand are still fine, but the new best beats the old.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue

Addition: And who does make a great American rifle today? Many say Remingtons suck. Winchester the same with the trigger. Kimber roulette. Rugars are crude, heavy and should have left the safety on the tang. And those beetches don't always originate with the younger crowd. Maybe the back in the day boys are the reason.

A parallel situation, I believe exists with furniture. In the past, couples would make do for a while with cast-offs augmented with cheap stuff until they could save (!) for their real furniture, which was expected to last for their lifetime.

For ordinary (non-loony) shooters, it was largely the same scenario. Now, a lot of folks are using "Ikea" rifles.

I've gone the Ikea route on furniture, but still like nice rifles. The new Winchesters seem to be excellent. I don't GAF where they assemble the multi-nationally sourced parts as long as the final product is good. My Finnish Sako .30/06 has a Belgian FN action, Euopean walnut from somewhere or other, and a Finnish Sako barrel. My Japanese Browning "Winchester" single-shots are beautifully made and shoot as good as they look. I want stuff that works well and, if possible, looks good doing it. Right now, that requirement is being met by the stuff I mentioned, along with a few new-ish Ruger Hawkeyes, a Vanguard, and another FN put together by somebody, most likely before I was born. I still might buy a Bic rifle on a whim to play with, but it'll likely depart the same way when I'm done.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 64 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.