Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by Redneck
I honestly am not familiar with all of them - since I primarily work with M70s, M700s..

But one comes to mind - in fact I just worked on it - a M77 Ruger..

Is it the BEST trigger? No. But is it rather simple in design? Yes. Is it an open-design? Pretty much, yes. Is it user-friendly (cleaning/maintaining)? Yes.. Can it be improved (kits available/gunsmith work)? Yes..

Remove from the stock and place it aside.. ONE simple pin to slide out and the trigger drops free, along with it's spring. It's now open enough to clean most areas. One pin holding the safety lever and sear in place.. Push the pin from the opposite side of the safety just enough to free the sear and now the entire area's open for cleaning and lubrication.. Easy peasy.. Putting it all back together can usually be accomplished via your fingers.. Once in a while a small punch helps to move the sear pin.

Doesn't get much simpler..
I don't think Ruger uses that trigger anymore...
It appears that they do. From their website:

[Linked Image]

Just like the one I worked on Tuesday..

Awesome. For some reason I thought the LC6 trigger was enclosed. Now if they didn't weigh what they do...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just checked and 18 out of 58 in our department are in their 20's. I don't know all of their living arrangements, but the majority are not living at home. Almost all are paying on student loans. One girl is paying out $1400 a month and finally had to go back home. She had too and her parents welcomed her back.

But correct, most of them are not living at home.

Some of them this is not their primary employment and is a second job to make ends. Another thing is they appreciate the job or jobs they have. They need it to get by. Their work ethic is also better than many of the older crew who have been at it for years. Plus they pick up a lot quicker and are more flexible to change.

Last edited by battue; 01/06/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Depending on the area of the country you live...the Model 70 has been a thing of the past long before BACO took over. Which may have something to do with BACO taking over...

Care to explain?

Sure. I live in GA. Few here care about control round feed. Many don't care to know, and those that do, do not consider it a deal breaker. Of the three largest gun stores within a 150 mile radius of me NONE stock the Winchester Model 70...they all say the same thing...they just sit in the racks...they don't move. There are two high volume gun stores that I frequent. One does stock new Model 70s, but, sells them at ridiculously low prices to move them. The other rarely has new model 70s, but occasionally has used ones on the rack.
I've asked all of these stores why they do not have a bigger selection of model 70s. They all have the same answer...they just can't move them.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I think its less about moving them than the add-ons that get added when somebody buys a Ruger American Rifle in 308, 243 and 223. The store makes the money on mounts, rings, slings, scope. Its the combo meal at McDonalds vs. eating lobster at Red Lobster.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the sake of stoking the 'fire, perhaps the $300 rifle $300 scope IS the smarter move. Does fancy wood and better finish accomplish anything but more warm and fuzzy?

$300 RAR in 6.5 Creed, $300 SWFA, Hornady factory 143's. I'd bet 99.9 times out of 100 it goes boom and will hit where it's aimed.

Deep thoughts on a snowy January day.......

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The problem with that is that while you know how to take that $300 RAR in 6.5 Creed and find a decent scope for the money and put the package together the majority of new hunters are more likely to slap a simmons or a barska scope on it without proper knowledge to mount the scope and they set it canted without tightening it up and you get crippled game or a hunter who doesn't hunt for very long. They will find something else to do. Or worse yet the young hunter puts himself or herself in a position to get hurt.

32 years ago when I was in high school I borrowed a 7Rem mag savage 340 that had a plastic button on the bolt. I shot a 40 inch meat moose on a hillside and the plastic retaining button popped off in the brush while packing down a quarter. A large brown bear decided to show interest in the meat and butchering process and stayed in the brush 50-75 yards holding out for me to fold and give him the kill. I ended up staying the night on the moose with a coleman lantern and my terrible singing voice as a defense. That kind of incident will change you view of rifles with plastic parts.

You buy a high quality rifle and you know that you need to put a high quality scope on it and include mounts and rings that are setup properly.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by battue
Just checked and 18 out of 58 in our department are in their 20's. I don't know all of their living arrangements, but the majority are not living at home. Almost all are paying on student loans.

But correct, most of them are not living at home.

Thank you battue.

I like ALL of your response, just didn't want to quote all of it. Honestly, I respect THEM. $1400.00/mo. oh my!!

..."edit: on top of that 40% of Young Adults STILL live at home w/mommie & daddy....",,,,

That comment IS a national statistic from THIS week. Also an 'older' stat is... "there are MORE grand parents raising grandchildren than ever before"...

All this 'instant gratification' aka feel good NOW, shows the lack of responsibility in the 'majority' of millennials.
THOSE are the 'adults' of tomorrow>>> our nations future.

Makes one feel good huh?--frown--cry.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I think its less about moving them than the add-ons that get added when somebody buys a Ruger American Rifle in 308, 243 and 223. The store makes the money on mounts, rings, slings, scope. Its the combo meal at McDonalds vs. eating lobster at Red Lobster.

If you can't move the rifle, there is no need for the mounts, rings, slings, and scope

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I doubt Winchester rifles are a thing of the past . Around here they seem to fill space and sell at about the same rate as Kimbers.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/06/17.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by battue

And snuff has replaced the pipe. grin

That gave me a chuckle...I'll even add that the hoodie has replaced the plaid wool vest, as did piercings to the monocle. smile

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead

All you 'old guys' with vaults full of stuff have shown the young 'who gives a [bleep] about stuff'

Not so fast there S H..

TODAY..I liquidated an investment that I began in 2007.

The stock market is higher today than anytime in the past 10 yr. if not ever. The crash in 08-09 cost me more $$ than the JUMP recently has recouped.

Now had I bought quality firearms..instead of market investing (gambling), I could have had at least 'some' profit on my investment.

I 'might' have 1 rifle that I can not sell for more $$ than I paid for it. ALL the rest of my firearms CAN be sold for MORE than I paid.

Some 'STUFF' accrues value. These CHEAP DISPOSABLE POCrap will not increase in value. They are disposable !!

Some 'STUFF' increases in value. (paraphrased repeat)

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Young people TODAY are more concerned with EXPERIENCES than they are with STUFF.

All you 'old guys' with vaults full of stuff have shown the young 'who gives a [bleep] about stuff'

I applaud them for that, because they are right.

Very true and well said. Many youth today come from broken homes as both parents worked and stressed to make McMansion payments, then it became too much. The youth learned from their parents mistakes. I think this is called evolution. Dont get me wrong, there is plenty of knuckleheads to go around, but many of the millennials make better educated decisions that I did as a youth.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Depending on the area of the country you live...the Model 70 has been a thing of the past long before BACO took over. Which may have something to do with BACO taking over...

Care to explain?

Sure. I live in GA. Few here care about control round feed. Many don't care to know, and those that do, do not consider it a deal breaker. Of the three largest gun stores within a 150 mile radius of me NONE stock the Winchester Model 70...they all say the same thing...they just sit in the racks...they don't move. There are two high volume gun stores that I frequent. One does stock new Model 70s, but, sells them at ridiculously low prices to move them. The other rarely has new model 70s, but occasionally has used ones on the rack.
I've asked all of these stores why they do not have a bigger selection of model 70s. They all have the same answer...they just can't move them.

Its the same way around here. I doubt there is a shop in the entire UP of MI that carry model 70's on a regular basis. Locals would rather buy cheap crap and those that don't drive down to Green Bay, or Lower MI to buy higher quality. Most of the local hunters buying cheap crap shot the gun once a year and only deer hunt over bait. I'm sure a Savage Axis or the like suits them well.
Sure see alot of Browning stickers on trucks though, lol. No accounting for bad taste.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Since this thread has moved around, I'll add another. Came home from a workout and someone plowed my driveway. No note, nothing. I may know who it is, but all I did was give him access across my yard this past summer to work on a water main connection.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Care to explain?

Thanks GB, that clears it up. I read it in the dark am and my comprehension isn't the best at that hour!

It's a shame the "finer points" of a rifle build are being lost on the Ruger American and Tikka Generation.

Guess when you grow up in a plastic throw-away generation that's your orientation for better or worse.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Come on battue, go buy that man a Model 70!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Come on battue, go buy that man a Model 70!

grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Guess when you grow up in a plastic throw-away generation that's your orientation for better or worse.

That's very diplomatic. smile

In this part of the country there's probably 30-40 within a 75 mile radius that someone could buy....used and new. That's a guess .

Across the course match shooters here snap them up for their hunting. They know the good stuff from the junk.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I doubt Winchester rifles are a thing of the past . Around here they seem to fill space and sell at about the same rate as Kimbers.

Most guys around here don't even know what a Kimber is... True chit too..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 14 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.