Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by patbrennan
I have had two winlite fwts (06 and 270), and both were very good shooters. I always keep an eye out for another one at a decent price.

Let's talk, We're both on the North side of 49.

PM sent

BP-B6

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by BWalker

Sure see alot of Browning stickers on trucks though, lol. No accounting for bad taste.

Mr. Walker this is an honest ?

Are those "Browning" stickers or the Browning 'Buck Mark'
DEER HEAD ?

The reason I asked is that not too long ago I asked a friend who runs a Gun/Fishing shop...

Who is selling all the Brownings? He said what do you mean? I responded about the Browning Deer Head stickers.

He said, It's not the Browning guns, People like the Deer Head!

Just wondering if it's the same there.

Jerry

I have seen both.
Not sure how many are buying browning guns. If they are they are driving distance to purchase.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mr Walker

Thank you

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I would love a BRNO..... wink

They are easier to find your side of the border.

Here's a custom on a pre 64. It has been slicked up WAY beyond smooth but needed no parts far as I know. Function is perfect. smile

[Linked Image]

Sweet ! That's what we're talkin about. WOW Just Eye Popping

Where did that old school craftsmanship go though ?

I think Winchester is making a comeback, but looking at their catalog, I can't help but wonder about their caliber choices, and twist rates.

They are mired in the past ( like Remington) with 14" .22-250s,
or 10" .243, .280, .25-'06, .270

Bob's rifle there is full on custom. The metal came from Winchester when they did things right. I'm not saying the pre 64's were the best (although, they were). Some of the New Haven rifles were very nice as well. For example, they went for about 17 years (with their head up their azz) without having a fwt rifle on the market. Back in 1981, they brought the fwt back and those XTR's were beautiful rifles:

[Linked Image]

Then in '92 when they brought the CRF back with the classics, things were looking pretty good for them. Now, we have the MOA and Portuguese manufacture to look forward to. Pass me an old rifle please... wink

Hey that rifle looks familiar..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Funny thread.

When thinking of new rifles, a Winchester never crosses my mind. They offer nothing that appeals to me.

As for the younger generation, they are doing just fine. They've figured out that they'd rather spend their resources on actual hunts, tags, good clothing/gear, and gym memberships. Expensive rifles must be kept in very good condition to retain value, and the appeal of doing hunts that keep rifles in very good condition don't have appeal to many.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think their attempt at a millennial rifle was a dud. Even with the Kuiu camo pattern..

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Coyote Light would interest me if they would offer it in some more appropriate varmint cartridges.

Same with smaller cartridges in the FW and Sporter 70s.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I love how folks like to describe a generation as one homogeneous mass. As if they all share the same characteristics.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Steelhead

All you 'old guys' with vaults full of stuff have shown the young 'who gives a [bleep] about stuff'

Not so fast there S H..

TODAY..I liquidated an investment that I began in 2007.

The stock market is higher today than anytime in the past 10 yr. if not ever. The crash in 08-09 cost me more $$ than the JUMP recently has recouped.

Now had I bought quality firearms..instead of market investing (gambling), I could have had at least 'some' profit on my investment.

I 'might' have 1 rifle that I can not sell for more $$ than I paid for it. ALL the rest of my firearms CAN be sold for MORE than I paid.

Some 'STUFF' accrues value. These CHEAP DISPOSABLE POCrap will not increase in value. They are disposable !!

Some 'STUFF' increases in value. (paraphrased repeat)

Jerry

Unless you're talking about museum quality, investment grade guns, ie colts, Winchesters, British double guns, classic sxs's rifles aren't a great investment. You might get lucky with modern firearms like the colt snake guns but for the most part you buy off the shelf guns of "higher" quality and adjust for inflation, they're worth the same or less in 30 years.

What did a coke cost or a gallon of gas when you bought them compared to now when you're selling them.

I'd say collectors prices hit a peak when the last generation to really be involved with and appreciate firearms(baby boomers) hit the point in life they could afford to spend big $$ on them.

I wouldn't use firearms as an investment vehicle any longer unless I could afford something old, rare and mint condition.

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/06/17.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
Funny thread.

When thinking of new rifles, a Winchester never crosses my mind. They offer nothing that appeals to me.

As for the younger generation, they are doing just fine. They've figured out that they'd rather spend their resources on actual hunts, tags, good clothing/gear, and gym memberships. Expensive rifles must be kept in very good condition to retain value, and the appeal of doing hunts that keep rifles in very good condition don't have appeal to many.

Funny post.

You don't really expect anyone to believe that the price difference between a $800 M70 and a $300 Savage POS will keep anyone from going on a hunt do you? smile

In a day and age when these luminaries spend $150 a month on a cell phone, the idea that a $800 dollar rifle (one time expenditure) is too expensive, is laughable.

Or that "smart" guys" are scraping the bottom of the equipment barrel with a cheap rifle and likely topping it with a blister pack scope,is an expression of sage wisdom. Hilarious.

Who exactly cares about keeping a hunting rifle brand new and how is that a factor?

I see these miracle millennials at the range with their cheap rifles,and they are neither great shots, astute riflemen,and tend to be rookies who don't know what they are doing.

If the cost spread between a M70 and an RAR is keeping you from hunting you need a more lucrative job....but don't expect me to believe you're some kind of sage/wise genius. That's ridiculous.

This class envy stuff cracks me up but otherwise intelligent people fall for it all the time.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
"Luminaries" "sage" your verbiage is just as out of touch as your understanding of the modern world and the younger generation operating within it.

A man chewed my ass one time for driving a Mitsubishi truck because Mitsubishi manufactured the aircraft used in the attack on Pearl harbor..... Was that you?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Bob,
as per usual you're on track. As the parent of 3 millennials I have a little insight. My kids have all grown up hunting and know that any red meat we have, has been killed by one of us, for as long as the kids can remember.
Even growing up in a very rural part of the country where the outdoors are a major part of life I'm saddened by how few kids are hunting and fishing.
The missing component for many of them is a caring parent to get them started. I did my part my setting my kids up with pre 64 M70's, good optics, boots and gear and we spend quality time in the outdoors together as much as possible.
We owe it to our kids to make it happen, the world will be a better place for it, and just maybe we can turn the tide of a throw-away state of mind....and perhaps they will put the phone down long enough to see the natural world around them.
Now, back to winchesters!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain
"Luminaries" "sage" your verbiage is just as out of touch as your understanding of the modern world and the younger generation operating within it.

A man chewed my ass one time for driving a Mitsubishi truck because Mitsubishi manufactured the aircraft used in the attack on Pearl harbor..... Was that you?

Need a dictionary?

I'm waiting to be impressed by the "modern world" and the "younger generation". They impress me as a bunch of dopes....are you one of them?

Go rotate on something. You haven't said a thing that makes any sense.

Buying cheap junk makes you somehow "smart"....brilliant. LMAO.

If you want,I'll loan you a grand and you can go buy three rifles....... smirk I know $300-400 bucks is a deal breaker.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/06/17.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Didn't say "impressed" with them, I said "understand" them. It's an entirely different social and economic structure they operate with in. Good or bad, like it or not. Alot more get into hunting later than we did. Alot of them never hunted with grandad and his old wood and blued rifle that held mystique like I did. Most never walked the aisles at a gun show marveling at all the rifles you'd only seen in G&A, and F&S.

No different than 50 years ago. Some people bought quality rifles and a [bleep] pile of people hunted with old Enfield .303 surplus guns and glenfield 30-30"s with Marlin scopes.

Cheap guns have always been around for the average Joe that hunted but wasn't necessarily a "hunter"

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/06/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I love how folks like to describe a generation as one homogeneous mass. As if they all share the same characteristics.

Generally yes. Greatest Generation, Baby Boomers, Generation X, Millennials.

Study their life events and it's pretty interesting. Put them all in the same work setting and it's even better.

Know the hot buttons and it's gold.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh, and I've never owned a "cheap gun"
My cabinet is full of custom 700's, a couple Steyrs, a couple Winchester's, a couple browning high grades, a couple nice over/understand, Colt revolvers, Kimber automatics, colt AR's etc......
But I'd have no shame parking an accurate Ruger American I'm there.....

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Funny thread.

Funny post.

You don't really expect anyone to believe that the price difference between a $800 M70 and a $300 Savage POS will keep anyone from going on a hunt do you? smile

In a day and age when these luminaries spend $150 a month on a cell phone, the idea that a $800 dollar rifle (one time expenditure) is too expensive, is laughable.

Or that "smart" guys" are scraping the bottom of the equipment barrel with a cheap rifle and likely topping it with a blister pack scope,is an expression of sage wisdom. Hilarious.

Who exactly cares about keeping a hunting rifle brand new and how is that a factor?

I see these miracle millennials at the range with their cheap rifles,and they are neither great shots, astute riflemen,and tend to be rookies who don't know what they are doing.

If the cost spread between a M70 and an RAR is keeping you from hunting you need a more lucrative job....but don't expect me to believe you're some kind of sage/wise genius. That's ridiculous.

This class envy stuff cracks me up but otherwise intelligent people fall for it all the time.

There were more than a few years where $100 meant the difference in going on a trip or not, much less $500.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Generally yes. Greatest Generation, Baby Boomers, Generation X, Millennials.

Study their life events and it's pretty interesting. Put them all in the same work setting and it's even better.

Know the hot buttons and it's gold.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation

The Lost Generation, also known as the Generation of 1914 in Europe,[24] is a term originating with Gertrude Stein to describe those who fought in World War I. The members of the lost generation were typically born between 1883 and 1900.

The G.I. Generation, also known as the "Greatest Generation'", is the generation that includes the veterans who fought in World War II. They were born from around 1901 to 1924, coming of age during the Great Depression. Journalist Tom Brokaw dubbed this the Greatest Generation in a book of the same name.[25]

The Silent Generation, also known as the Lucky Few, were born from approximately 1925 to 1945.[26] It includes some who fought in World War II, most of those who fought the Korean War and many during the Vietnam War.

The Baby Boomers are the generation that was born following World War II, generally from 1946 to 1964,[27][28][29] a time that was marked by an increase in birth rates.[30] The term "baby boomer" is sometimes used in a cultural context. Therefore, it is impossible to achieve broad consensus on a defined start and end date.[31] The baby boom has been described variously as a "shockwave"[32] and as "the pig in the python".[33] This generation is also referred to as the Me Generation, and the latter portion of the Baby Boomer generation as Generation Jones.

Generation X, commonly abbreviated to Gen X, is the generation following the baby boomers. Demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the early to mid-1960s and ending birth years ranging from the late 1970s to early 1980s. The term has also been used in different times and places for a number of different subcultures or countercultures since the 1950s.

Millennials, also known as the Millennial Generation[34] or Generation Y, are the demographic cohort following Generation X. Demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s[35] as starting birth years and ending birth years ranging from the mid-1990s to early 2000s. As of April 2016, the Millennial generation surpassed the Boomer generation in size in the USA, with 76 million Boomers and 77 million Millennials.[36]

Generation Z, also known as the "Founders"[37] or Post-Millennials [36] the iGeneration, or Homeland Generation, is the cohort of people born after the Millennials. Demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the mid-1990s to early 2000s, while there is little consensus yet regarding ending birth years.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Exactly. Generations aren't typically defined by individuals. They are usually defined by events.

Trying to say " all kids today" is no more relevant now than it was 20, 40, or 80 years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Need a dictionary?

I'm waiting to be impressed by the "modern world" and the "younger generation". They impress me as a bunch of dopes....are you one of them?

Go rotate on something. You haven't said a thing that makes any sense.

Buying cheap junk makes you somehow "smart"....brilliant. LMAO.

If you want,I'll loan you a grand and you can go buy three rifles....... smirk I know $300-400 bucks is a deal breaker.

That's because you are old and grumpy.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,701 guests, and 696 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.