Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
One, for hauling clothes etc... And two, for hauling game out

Looking for recommendations and experiences. please?

BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Badlands 2200 is as nice as anything I ever used.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the 2200

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WV_Airedale
One, for hauling clothes etc... And two, for hauling game out

Looking for recommendations and experiences. please?

What kind of game?

What is your total price range?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking to use it to pack out elk and/or mule deer.

I was always told to get the best you can as it will save you in the long run. So I guess I don't have a price range in mind, I'll get what I can afford at the time.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get something that's large enough to handle bone-in rear quarters and has a solid, proven suspension system. If you're looking to get a quality pack and not cut corners, I'd be looking at Kifaru and Stone Glacier.

Tanner

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I like my Kifaru AMR.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a badlands 2200. I do like it. I haul my clothes in too. It is built like a tank and in return it is a little heavy. It works well when i am hunting the big mountain. It works okay when I am hunting close and coming out for lunch. I like it a lot less for a half day pack than i do a daypack mainly because of how heavy it is. I also have a cabelas scout pack which i used for 10 or so years and let my son carry around now. It works really well for the half day hunts. It also allows you to strap your clothes on it too but does not have a frame or capacity for the heavy loads. So if your hunting sounds anything like mine you probably want 2 packs. The cabelas bow and gun pack was a pretty good compromise between the two, but I sold it when i bought the badlands.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I also want to add the best feature of any of these packs is the ability to strap your rifle or muzzleloader on it. It is awesome when walking a couple miles before daylight to not have the gun falling off your shoulders. I drag my 8 year old around a lot also so it really came in handy muzzleloading season when i have to carry both our muzzleloaders. I can't carry just one gun since I let him shoot a 50gr load which I wouldnt want to shoot past 50 yards. So it is a nice feature if you don't want to let a kid fall all around with his gun.

Last edited by Bperdue21; 01/04/17.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The single most important requirement for a pack is that it fits your back properly. Start there and then explore other features.

A 2,200 cu. in. pack is small. OK for day hunting deer. It's too small to haul out the hind quarter of an elk and not big enough for multi-day backpacking. The Badlands 2200 weighs 6# and has a volume of 2,250 cu.in.

I use an Osprey Talon 33 (about 2,000 cu.in.) for day hunting deer. I like it because it comes in daylight orange and that satisfies the orange that's a requirement in Colorado. It weighs about 3#.

For backpacking you need at least 4,000 cu. in. An Osprey Aether 70 is about right (70 liters, 4,200 cu.in.) weighs about 4#.

I use to use and Osprey Exposure CM (65 liters, 4,000 cu.in.). It was always kind of tight for even a short backpack trip. They don't make them any longer. It weighs about 3.5#.

The pack that fits my back best (I have a 23" torso) is my Osprey Aether 85XL (about 5,200 cu. in.). It's not as quiet as I would like and it doesn't come in camo color or orange. But it's the pack that I use the most because it's so comfortable on the trail. It only weighs 2 ounces more than the 70.

BTW all of the Osprey packs that I have mentioned weigh about 4# or less when empty. That's an important consideration. I don't want carry a pack that weighs 7# empty.

I own a ULA Catalyst, which weighs only 2.5#. It's probably the most uncomfortable pack that I own. It's also available only by mail order. I own a bunch of backpacks; North Face, Go-Lite, Deuter, Gregory, Kelty, Alpenlite, etc.

You can see that I like Osprey packs. It's hard to find packs that are built as well and weigh as little as they do. But they don't really make hunting packs. They're great for backpacking.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a Kuiu Ultra 6000. But I've hesitated because the biggest frame is good up to 22" torso. They say I can send it back if it doesn't fit. But I would have to pay for return shipping just to take a look at it. They told me that they don't have any retail outlets. Everything is mail (Internet) order only. It's quiet and comes in a couple of different camo patterns. I hate to buy something that I haven't seen and can't try on. I don't really need a pack that big for backpacking but it would be good for hauling out the hind quarter of an elk. It weighs less than 4#.

The Seek Outside Unaweep Fortress 4800 looks good but it also has a max torso of 22" and it's materials are not all that quiet. It's pretty light at less than 4#.

The Kifaru Duplex Timberline 2 (85 liters, 5,200 cu.in.) with an Ultralite frame weighs just under 5#. It has different frame sizes and will fit a 23" torso. You can buy options that send the empty weight over 6#.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want the best, I'd be looking at Kifaru and SG, like Tanner said, and I'd add Seek Outside as well. I've been extremely pleased with my Evolution. I sold a Kifaru to get the SO. A buddy was a die-hard MR guy and he sold his Grizzly and now uses the Evo, as well. Neither of us regret the change.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

I had a Badlands 2200. That thing is good for carrying jackets and knives, elk quarters not so much. I was able to get it off the mountain, but it kicked my butt. I do not recommend this for hauling large loads.

I have a Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 now, it is light and fits pretty good. It has an external frame that is carbon fiber and I can carry lots of items inside.
I have used it on a couple elk hunts. It has tons of great features, but I want something bigger.

If you want to do serious backpack hunting, you need to look at Kifaru. That is what I will be getting next month. Call and talk to them, they are very savvy to carrying loads that exceed what I want to try. They're pricey, but sounds like you've already figured that the best is gong to cost a little more.

Good luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forget the Badlands stuff and 2200 cu.in.

Listen to Tanner, KC, Jordan, Brad (if he chimes in), Ed_T, and KevinT, as well as a few other dedicated western guys. They know this game and won't lead you astray.

Whatever you get, make damned sure it fits you well and make double damned sure to log a BUNCH of miles under it with a pretty good amount of weight on board over as uneven a terrain as you can LONG before heading after mulies or elk.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Badlands are horrible packs to be quite frank...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
kifaru or exo mountain would be where I'd set my sights.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
A buddy was a die-hard MR guy and he sold his Grizzly and now uses the Evo, as well. Neither of us regret the change.
Ya right. That's crazy talk.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just admit it. You had a problem. Good thing I held that MR intervention for ya grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
If you want the best, I'd be looking at Kifaru and SG, like Tanner said, and I'd add Seek Outside as well. I've been extremely pleased with my Evolution. I sold a Kifaru to get the SO. A buddy was a die-hard MR guy and he sold his Grizzly and now uses the Evo, as well. Neither of us regret the change.

I need to try one of those Seeks and see what the heck. I can't see me switching from what I'm using anytime soon, but it's nice to know! They certainly look like a quality Ruck.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Kifaru for me. The thing I like is that I have the duplex frame, and can switch bags. Myself and a few of my buddies are already on bag #2 for our duplex frames. And it wasn't from lack of use!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Seek Outside

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 91 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.