Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
While I am not a "collector" as such I am a Model 70 fan. In my search for a Post-64 Fwt 243 I have found prices are all over the map. In some ways it seems to be a location thing, higher one one area over another for the same or seemingly identical rifles. Some PFs are higher than classics and some higher than new. Other places the PFs are very reasonable and the used CRFs are edging into pre-64 territory. The again some PFs are right there with the pre-64's too. Is it the caliber? I think a used PF for $1000 and a new CRF for around 800 seems weird. I would think the later PFs would be about 500 if new is 800. Anyone offer some clarity to the seemingly murky market? Thanks

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ODS,
I bought a 1953 Win 70 30-06 in July for $700 + tax.

I took off the Redfield peep and put on a scope, a stock, and a 25-06 barrel... and shot a mule buck in October.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter
While I am not a "collector" as such I am a Model 70 fan. In my search for a Post-64 Fwt 243 I have found prices are all over the map. In some ways it seems to be a location thing, higher one one area over another for the same or seemingly identical rifles. Some PFs are higher than classics and some higher than new. Other places the PFs are very reasonable and the used CRFs are edging into pre-64 territory. The again some PFs are right there with the pre-64's too. Is it the caliber? I think a used PF for $1000 and a new CRF for around 800 seems weird. I would think the later PFs would be about 500 if new is 800. Anyone offer some clarity to the seemingly murky market? Thanks

Like you've seen and relayed in your post, it can be a geographic location thing. Something else to consider is the collectability of each rifle: Winchester really had its ups and downs and some of these prices reflect that. You'll see some of the first XTR featherweights (1980-1981 WRA models) demanding very high prices. You'll also see some of the early classics (1992-1999) demanding more money because they are said to be better made than the last classics made (2001-2006). The left hand model 70 classics demand a lot of money because BACO does not make any left hand model 70's as of yet. Some of the pushfeeds were made with McMillan stocks, those usually sell for more than a standard pushfeed. Some post 64's were considered poorly made, especially the 1964-1968 models. After 1968, they addressed some major issues. Thus creating a much better rifle. If you know the history of Winchester in general, you can rationalize the reasons why specific model 70's demand more money than others.. I'm by no means an "expert", but this is what I've witnessed over the years...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Like you've seen and relayed in your post, it can be a geographic location thing. Something else to consider is the collectability of each rifle: Winchester really had its ups and downs and some of these prices reflect that. You'll see some of the first XTR featherweights (1980-1981 WRA models) demanding very high prices. You'll also see some of the early classics (1992-1999) demanding more money because they are said to be better made than the last classics made (2001-2006). The left hand model 70 classics demand a lot of money because BACO does not make any left hand model 70's as of yet. Some of the pushfeeds were made with McMillan stocks, those usually sell for more than a standard pushfeed. Some post 64's were considered poorly made, especially the 1964-1968 models. After 1968, they addressed some major issues. Thus creating a much better rifle. If you know the history of Winchester in general, you can rationalize the reasons why specific model 70's demand more money than others.. I'm by no means an "expert", but this is what I've witnessed over the years...
Ditto..

But this - "BACO does not make any left hand model 70's as of yet..........." shows just how stupid BACO is...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Very informative!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
749 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 85 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.