Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Also, if you can get the 6 Creed to be twisted in 7" twist, it would be advantageous with the new bullets that are being introduced, such as by Sierra.

The 8 twist is going to run out of twist pretty quickly with long 110-115 grainers.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
How about getting a Sako to make some Finnlights in 6.5 Creedmoor with threaded barrel?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
When the factories introduce a 22 Creed next year (seems likely) will the 22-250 be able to be reamed out to fit?

IOW, it would seem like they won't want to offer a special run of 22-250 at all if they figure to offer a 22 Creed sometime soon.

Someone with bettr knowledge or google-fu than me please explain the difference twixt the 22-250 and a .22 creedmoor?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Less taper, slightly longer case and most importantly the Creed has a 30 degree shoulder vs. the .22 Varminter's 28 degree shoulder.

It's that 2 degree sharper shoulder that makes all the difference in the world, especially if they are double venturied with suspenders... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Less taper, slightly longer case and most importantly the Creed has a 30 degree shoulder vs. the .22 Varminter's 28 degree shoulder.

It's that 2 degree sharper shoulder that makes all the difference in the world, especially if they are double venturied with suspenders... wink

AKA no belt. Laffin'

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
FYI...

I asked Kimber for an exclusive run of 100 6 Creedmoor's and 100 22-250's. Both twisted 1 in 8".

I asked Tikka for an exclusive run of 500 rifles. 6.5 Creedmoor's, 6 Creedmoor's and 22-250's -- all twisted appropriately.

We'll see what happens? I'll meet with them all soon at SHOT.

I am somewhat ignorant on this, so help me out. Why wouldn't a manufacturer do that? What expense is involved in it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
FYI...

I asked Kimber for an exclusive run of 100 6 Creedmoor's and 100 22-250's. Both twisted 1 in 8".

I asked Tikka for an exclusive run of 500 rifles. 6.5 Creedmoor's, 6 Creedmoor's and 22-250's -- all twisted appropriately.

We'll see what happens? I'll meet with them all soon at SHOT.

I am somewhat ignorant on this, so help me out. Why wouldn't a manufacturer do that? What expense is involved in it?

Tooling and separate inventory.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What are the Superlite 22-250's twisted? Not 8" like the 223's?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
1 in 14

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They obviously have 8 twist .224 SL barrels on the rack. You'd think they would run a 22/250 reamer into one.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
SAS, any update on the tikka in a 6.5 creedmoor?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
None. I'll talk with them next week.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Godspeed, Darrik! These are great times for we loonies.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tikka T3x Hunter Stainless Fluted in 6.5 Creedmoor!!!

Please!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
Tikka T3x Hunter Stainless Fluted in 6.5 Creedmoor!!!

Please!

Yep

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As long as they make something in 6.5 Creed in a LH action I'll be happy.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know I'll take some flack for this, but here goes . . .

This thread kinda reminds me of being at the SHOT show a few years ago. After fighting the crowd, of which half or more of the folks there had no business being there (they were on passes from their buddy the "kitchen table FFL holder"), my boss and I get to the booth to talk over the guns available to Sako dealers thru the Sako Select program - hoping to write an order or get the materials to do so. In front of us are a group of men (not FFL holders, dealers, or distributors) talking to the Beretta rep (who happened to be our rep) and a factory rep from Sako (whom we'd both met previously). From the bits and pieces of the conversations I overheard, it was like this thread. "Sure would be nice if you made XYZ model in ABC caliber, with 123 barrel length" and so on and so on. The look on the face of the two reps was that of "can someone get these guys outta here?" Finally, my boss had had his fill and leaned into the conversation and said something to the effect of "that's a great idea, how many would you commit to order?" One gentleman turned and said he was good for ONE, as did another. At that point my boss looked at them all and basically said "Get the F*** outta here and let folks that are bonafide, brick and mortar dealers do business." There was more, but I'll move on. Jaws dropped, and the group took it upon themselves to leave, post haste. At which point the reps reached out shook my bosses hand, each saying "Thank you!"

The point is, Darrik has taken the time and made an effort to reach out, AND commit to a reasonable number of guns from a couple of manufacturer's and potentially make it worth their while. Whether or not they follow through remains to be seen. One or two, of this and that, won't cut it, nor will 10 or 20. And while the crowd here at the Campfire has feel for what the twist/barrel length/action orientation should be for manufacture X's rifle, or manufacture Y's rifle, and so on, there's just not enough COMMITMENT from any one retailer/distributor or group of retailers/distributors to consider so many variations.

Another thing to consider, when thinking of Sako and/or Tikka, is Beretta is the importer. The engineers at Sako/Tikka can design and have produced just about anything. Convincing the powers that be at the top of Beretta that said design should be produced and imported to the USofA, is an entirely different ball-game. This not supposition, it's a virtual plagerization (sp) of the aforementioned Sako/Tikka factory rep.

Again, I commend Darrik. He has take the bull by the horns, compiled copious amounts of information, and narrowed it down to a couple of reasonable options, presented his side, and COMMITTED to be the first out of the gate with said new offerings.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Update...

I honestly feel like some of these projects will materialize this year. Conversations this year were constructive and opinions are changing.

Beretta (Sako, Tikka) has a new(ish) rifle manager. He gets it -- he knows times are changing and is willing to do something about it. He'd already approached the Finn's about twist rates. I'll know more about exclusives soon, but I honestly expect one to come full circle. The 8" 22-250 makes the most sense short term. The have the barrels, so it's as simple as running the reamer to make it happen. On another note, we spent some time discussing the mag box length on the 223. Something interesting could happen there as well...

Ruger was receptive. We may actually get the 1 in 8" 22-250 in the American this year! I asked for blued receivers with stainless barrels after hearing the all stainless would be more difficult to materialize. We discussed compact and lefty models too.

I also had some good talks with Howa. We discussed the floor plate for the mini's. We took one apart and measured some stuff for the mag box. There's room and I emphasized the need for 2.50" of internal space. They were leaving for a meeting specifically about the floorplate and mag box as soon as our meeting adjourned. They also know the floorplate needs to be a drop in for existing rifles and it needs to be available for purchase to guys already owning one. A Mini for mini's is also coming as an exclusive to us (Whittaker Guns) for a period before it comes a running line option. The youth stocked version will be in 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39 and 223.

I had a really good meeting with Kimber too. Lots of new faces and they're all receptive to change. We discussed many options, but the 1 in 8" 243 got the most play. Initially my thought was 6 Creed, but they were really receptive to doing fast twist 243. Obviously, I didn't object! Their new rifle manager is willing to listen and I truly expect some good things from her!

Nothing with Remington. Sorry burleyboy.

No promises, but progress was made. More updates as soon as I hear more. This is a tough time of year. Lots of shows to finish before everybody gets settled back into work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang campfire lobbyist.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ha!

It takes more than just me. I compile opinions from here and pass them along. You guys will make or break these things. If they do them and they're received well in the market, running line changes happen across the industry. If nobody puts their money where their mouth is, all progress stops.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 26 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.