Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Our own Buzz H features pretty heavily in the piece.

Worth a listen... GOOD JOB BUZZ.

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/05/50801...al-lands-to-states-has-sportsmen-on-edge

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for posting that. Good to know that Trump Jr. is a member of BHA.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Thanks for posting that Brad.

My biggest reservation in our Trump/Republican "movement" is management of federal lands in the west.
It all begins and ends with habitat. Without habitat there's no wildlife, without wildlife there's no hunting. Most Republicans--especially those outside the interior west--utterly fail to connect those three simple dots.

Having said that, friends in the fed resource agencies that know Zimke are pleased with him as the pick for the new Interior Secretary.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
After thinking we made a little headway with Chaffetz here, he turned around and introduced HR 621.

Well I guess we did make some headway with him, he just needed a reminder?

"I am withdrawing HR 621. I hear you and HR 621 dies tomorrow" ~ Jason Chaffetz

From Donald Jr's Instagram feed

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rosco1
After thinking we made a little headway with Chaffetz here, he turned around and introduced HR 621.

[Linked Image]

What scares me is the comment in the message about disposing of "small parcels". Please define I say. One section? Of checkerboard land? 40 acre inholdings? or 20,000 acres of prime forest/grazing land?

We dodged a bullet methinks, the figurative camels nose.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Our own Buzz H

He's a good guy but he rarely comes over here and spends nearly all his time on hunttalk.

Federal land is a conundrum. I love it but the federal land rich state residents do everything possible to keep me from enjoying it.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Our own Buzz H

He's a good guy but he rarely comes over here and spends nearly all his time on hunttalk.

Federal land is a conundrum. I love it but the federal land rich state residents do everything possible to keep me from enjoying it.

Please explain.

I'm a resident of a Federal land rich state and recreate and hunt in other such states as a non-resident and I don't have the same experience as you apparently. The residents of those states generally enjoy me spending my money in their states while enjoying OUR public lands. As a matter of fact, I'm traveling to one of those states for a 10 day hunt on federal land this coming Wednesday. Camping there will be free. Residents of the state, my friends old and new ones I may meet, will enjoy seeing me there.

Many, if not most Federal lands are open to the public to enjoy at little to no cost, some Fed parks and such require higher fees, some areas require a use permit, but the majority is wide open for your enjoyment.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
+1. And those dang residents of Alaska did their best to keep me from sheep hunting up there but I showed 'em and did it anyway.

Greedy SOBs!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Our own Buzz H

Please explain.

I'm a resident of a Federal land rich state and recreate and hunt in other such states as a non-resident and I don't have the same experience as you apparently. The residents of those states generally enjoy me spending my money in their states while enjoying OUR public lands. As a matter of fact, I'm traveling to one of those states for a 10 day hunt on federal land this coming Wednesday. Camping there will be free. Residents of the state, my friends old and new ones I may meet, will enjoy seeing me there.

Many, if not most Federal lands are open to the public to enjoy at little to no cost, some Fed parks and such require higher fees, some areas require a use permit, but the majority is wide open for your enjoyment.

Geno

Pretty sure he's referencing non resident license fees/quotas again.

Some people can not wrap their head around it being 2 totally separate issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rosco1

[Linked Image]
That was a good "win"! However, now folks need to work to get Chaffetz to withdraw HR 622.

"To terminate the law enforcement functions of the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management and to provide block grants to States for the enforcement of Federal law on Federal land under the jurisdiction of these agencies, and for other purposes."

IMO it's a ploy that has two reasons: 1) appease the folks in his district that get/got tickets and won't if the sherrif had to write them and mostly 2) to continue to hamstring the agency to further push for sale transfer. Hit up you congressmen and senators today to oppose HR 622!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
Our own Buzz H

Please explain.

Geno

Pretty sure he's referencing non resident license fees/quotas again.

Some people can not wrap their head around it being 2 totally separate issues.
He may be the guy that is all wound up about Wyoming's wilderness rule for hunting.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I wrote mine this morning to oppose H.R.622 - Local Enforcement for Local Lands Act.

It's a Trojan Horse to begin the process of land grabbing slowly and by other means.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
People get all wound up about non resident license fees. Everyone has the option to do what I am going to be doing in the next year - move to MT.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BWalker
People get all wound up about non resident license fees. Everyone has the option to do what I am going to be doing in the next year - move to MT.

Well, I just looked, as I have a couple of friends in TX and may get there for a visit someday. Might want to hunt while there. Maybe Deer or Turkey?

TX Non-Resident license (covers deer): $315
Spring Turkey $126
Upland Bird endorsement $ 7
Total $448

Now for a state I hunt regularly

AZ Non-Res license (combo fish & hunt) $160
Turkey tag $105
Deer tag $315
total $580

So, prohibitive difference in fees for a non-resident? Not in my mind, and in AZ I just walk out in OUR National Forest or other Federal land and start hunting. I don't have to worry much about a getting (paying for) a lease, or paying for access or a guided operation. I'm not sure about that TX license, but the AZ one allows me to fish while there also.

I know, it's just one example, but I don't see the "residents" of AZ making it very hard for me to hunt there.

I wish the gentleman the best, but I haven't see a reply yet. Put in for tags and come enjoy yourself on OUR Federal lands.

Geno

In it is contentment

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
There are several national forests and public WMAs to hunt in TX Valsdad. No guide required.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wrote mine this morning to oppose H.R.622 - Local Enforcement for Local Lands Act.

It's a Trojan Horse to begin the process of land grabbing slowly and by other means.

Forest Service and BLM Law Enforcement needs dialing back.

I have not studied H.R. 622 and it may indeed be a Trojan Horse but the F.S. and BLM needs to be focused on land management and not DUIs, vehicle registration, or state hunting regs.

The Utah reps are floating some seriously dumb Federal Lands ideas but there is a strong contingent in the current Admin. and other western states that have their number and are vehemently opposed to the idea of selling off Federal Land.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I couldn't care less about the difference in fees between resident/non-resident.

The only thing that sometimes makes me nuts is some of the guide requirements, which is obviously a separate issue.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well, I just looked, as I have a couple of friends in TX and may get there for a visit someday. Might want to hunt while there. Maybe Deer or Turkey?

TX Non-Resident license (covers deer): $315
Spring Turkey $126
Upland Bird endorsement $ 7
Total $448

Now for a state I hunt regularly

AZ Non-Res license (combo fish & hunt) $160
Turkey tag $105
Deer tag $315
total $580

So, prohibitive difference in fees for a non-resident? Not in my mind, and in AZ I just walk out in OUR National Forest or other Federal land and start hunting. I don't have to worry much about a getting (paying for) a lease, or paying for access or a guided operation. I'm not sure about that TX license, but the AZ one allows me to fish while there also.

I know, it's just one example, but I don't see the "residents" of AZ making it very hard for me to hunt there.

I wish the gentleman the best, but I haven't see a reply yet. Put in for tags and come enjoy yourself on OUR Federal lands.

Geno

So how do you feel about unguided non-residents in Wyoming being completely excluded from hunting wilderness areas? How about a nonresident Montana elk license that costs 29X what it costs a resident? How about New Mexico that allocates 84% of tags for residents, 10% for guided hunters, and 6% for nonresidents? Even the great state of AZ caps nonresident licenses to 10%...for hunting that takes place on Federal land.

You must be luckier and richer than me.

Last edited by Whiptail; 02/04/17.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't have a problem with MT license cost. For starters they have a very long deer/elk season which makes for more options.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BWalker
I don't have a problem with MT license cost. For starters they have a very long deer/elk season which makes for more options.

Glad it works for you.

Ever notice that Randy Newberg has yet to have an "On Your Adventure" in Oregon? I'm guessing it's due to Oregon capping non-resident elk and deer tags to 5% and Antelope to 2.5%.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 77 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.