Hop To
#11713361 01/05/17
D
darick Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Me and 3 friends are going to do a diy elk hunt this fall. We our having a tough time deciding on where to go. None of us are experienced elk hunters. We are all avid outdoorsmen. Do any of you experienced hunters have any suggestions? You dont have to be be specific just a state and general area would help. A management unit would be great. We are planning a rifle hunt. I also ordered eastmans elk journal so hopefully that will help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by darick; 01/05/17.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Do you require OTC tags?

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
D
darick Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Yes or a draw that each of us are guaranteed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by darick

Then I would start looking at CO & MT

PASS IT ON!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sounds like you just narrowed things to CO, ID, or MT. Find the OTC or zero point draw units in each, study the success rates, and choose. Better do it quick, too.

Oh, and if you aren't already hiking in your boots and under your packs for MILES, then you are way behind the curve. The mountains and altitude WILL kick your ass.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager

Sounds like you just narrowed things to CO, ID, or MT. Find the OTC or zero point draw units in each, study the success rates, and choose. Better do it quick, too.

Oh, and if you aren't already hiking in your boots and under your packs for MILES, then you are way behind the curve. The mountains and altitude WILL kick your ass.

Yep, but I'd express the last part a bit gentler...

You can buy your tag for ID today and start planning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer

The mountains ain't gentle. There was no insult intended; if he and his buddies aren't getting themselves in shape and ready now, they are behind the curve.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been in the mountains a few times and have a waistline that requires a belt that many folks could use as a jumprope... wink

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There are more elk in Colorado than all of the other states and Canadian provinces combined. But don't go to Colorado. There are already too many hunters.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC #11714859 01/06/17
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KC

There are more elk in Colorado than all of the other states and Canadian provinces combined. But don't go to Colorado. There are already too many hunters.

KC

KC
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA

IC B3

RWE #11714870 01/06/17
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I will echo KC remarks. It is very hard to hunt any units that offer OTC tags without competing with LOT of other hunters especially if you are on foot.

If you do a draw unit.You can apply as a group. Then if one gets a tag,all get a tag.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/06/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by pointer

The mountains ain't gentle. There was no insult intended; if he and his buddies aren't getting themselves in shape and ready now, they are behind the curve.

Dunno about the OP, but I am old, and I live in a flat state at sea level. And yes, the mountains can kick your ass. People who live out there and are acclimated to the altitude and used to climbing up and down mountains have a big advantage, not to mention proximity and being able to scout before the season opens. The hardest part of the hunt, apart from finding an elk, is being in shape so you can go where you need to go to find an elk. Pretend you're training for the Olympics...and then train harder.

Just my most very humble opinion.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
KC #11719410 01/07/17
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KC

KC

THIS!!!!!

grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho's draw application period doesn't start until May 1. Results are usually out by July 1. Up to 4 hunters can apply together so if 1 draws, they all draw. If that doesn't work, there are lots of units with OTC tags, mostly in central and north ID. There's a non-resident quota and many units sell out early so you need to start planning now.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And getting there a few days early can help one acclimate. I live at 4,500 ft in Oregon, but when going to Wyoming where the floor is 7,000+ it seems to take about 3 days before I feel like I can get my lungs completely full of air.

Good luck,

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does CO offer otc mule deer permits?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike
Does CO offer otc mule deer permits?

NO

draw only

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Elevation and steep terrain are tough, and will take a toll. Having said that, there are overweight and out of shape hunters who kill elk every year. But I don't recommend that route. And for all I know, the OP may be a hiking, climbing machine.

Anyway, for more information on the states, and drawing, check out Randy Newberg's (Big Fin here) podcasts and youtube (Randy Newburg hunter). There is a lot of good info there.

Whatever you do, go hunt vice getting into the point game. Do your research, pick an area and really learn it over a couple of years.

prm #11723236 01/09/17
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oregon has OTC tags with what they call "Hunter Opportunity". Here's how it works.

You buy an out of state license and elk rifle tag for an OTC area for a few hundred bucks. You spend a couple thousand more on logistics and time off, drive to wet western Oregon and try to find a campsite in mountains too steep for goats. You're limited to elk only, so don't ask about a deer tag at the same time.

You walk around getting rained on and wading thru rain soaked hemlocks and firs for 7 days, never spotting an elk and rarely seeing any evidence elk even exist. You load up all your rain soaked gear and drive 1200 miles back home, relishing your amazing hunt, and all that "Hunter Opportunity" Oregon has to offer OTC elk hunters.

I'm sure other states versions vary from Oregon's in that we have a lock on the misery only a rainforest in winter can afford a hunter, but you get the idea. If you're going to hunt elk, plan ahead and put in for good tags. FTR, there aren't many good tags in Oregon.

LOL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,252
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.