Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
COCKED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just set up a long range rig for the first time in my life. Tikka 300WM with a SWFA 3-15. I Never shot past 300 yards while hunting in the past. I just ran some numbers with the Hornady ballistic chart and it says the wind drift with a 208 amax going apx 2750 in a 10mph wind will be about 21 inches at 600 yards. I am thinking that is quite a bit of drift for that heavy bullet. So my question to you long range hunters or target shooters with lots of experience is what is the cut off point (wind speed) for you in a hunting situation shooting 300 yards and beyond. Le'ts say to 700 yards. Because right now I am thinking given how much a bullet drifts , I don't think I am shooting in anything more than a 10mph wind. What is your experience and where do you draw your limit line regarding wind speed.

Thanks
Dan

Last edited by COCKED; 01/03/17.
GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
21" at 600 is 3.5 MOA--doesn't seem all that excessive. The other part of the equation is that most wind is not a full 90 degree cross wind, so the drift is less.

LR shooting is addicting. But whacking steel is different than shooting at an animal. I have seen a strong Wyoming wind turn a 500 yd rifle into a 150 yard one--at least in my hands.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
True, and along with wind speed, you have to have an idea of how steady it is, both in speed and direction. And not only in your location, but all the way out to the target. Canyons can wreak havoc.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
takes a lot more than a gun and scope and bullets to understand stuff past 300 IMHO.

It takes a LOT of shooting in variable conditions to understand it.

Sure it never hurts to have no wind zero's at longer ranges just in case. But its rare to have no wind and no mirage(two totally different effects on bullet impact) at the moment you want or need to shoot.

Suggestion is just get to shooting. Generally in a year or so you'll start to have a good grasp of when to shoot and when not to.

There is also a reason I carry a wind speed meter in my pack....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PS, check the wind drift out at say 500 yards, between 5 and 10mph and see how many inches difference that is. Then can you live with that difference plus your group size at that distance, because it takes a bit of learning to understand a variable wind speed. And realize it is changing while you are aiming.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

COCKED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I bought the wind meter and am going to spend some time using it on and off the range. I will do a lot of shooting long range before I do any long range hunting. All good advice guys. Keep it coming. I would like to hear about some long range hunting shots you had.

Last edited by COCKED; 01/03/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me, one of the things that has helped me immensely shooting is having a good bipod on my rifle anytime I go out to hunt. Get a good one such as a Harris, in a length that works for you in different positions and practice using it.
Don't be surprised if you need to get two of them. One shorty for prone shots and a longer 13-27" for sitting/kneeling shots.

A pack or other rest isn't always available or handy at the right time. A bipod stays attached to your rifle and is always there when you need it. Many times I've found that with a pack or other rest, you have to contend with grass or other debris in the way of your shot. With a longer bipod, you can get above the brush most of the time and create a clear shot. A mono pod is an alternative, but IMO, not as good as a good bipod.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
COCKED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Bob,

I already got the bipods and once I find the right load for the gun I am going to move from the bench to shooting off the ground with the bipod.

Regards
Dan

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The wind is really hard to get really good at reading .
Most folks around here can't believe how far the wind moves their bullet at our 300 yard range . They think their gun is off and will adjust the scope thinking they are "zero'ing" the rifle .

I realized that I wasn't a long range shooter when I moved and lived in Idaho for a couple of years.
Using the parallax adjustment on the scope to look at the wind then trying to put it together and dial the shot in --makes you see why they call it "dope" -doping the wind .
As stated prctise makes perfect -well not perfect but close enough to fill the freezer .
Good luck with the LR shooting !

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you want to learn about wind , shoot some F-class matches , 300, 600, and 1000 yards. Most have wind flags IT WILL HUMBLE YOU, flags set at every 100 yards , you look up and flags going in all directions . It takes a lot of practice!!!! Most people hunting get excited and CAN REALLY MAKE A MISTAKE, wounding an animal is a horrible felling to me , I have done it shot a whitetail this year and tracked him for four hrs before I spotted him sneaking up a canyon , got him but felt sick about wounding him , and I thought I'm a bad ass, WRONG, GOODLUCK WITH YOUR SHOOTING!

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
i got into long range shooting a while back cause some friends talked me into it. after they taught me a few things i was ready to move past gongs and start hunting. like anything, having the right equipment makes any task easier. however, even with everything perfect, the wind and mirage can always mess up an otherwise perfect shot. took this feral goat at about 619 yards with a 338 lapua.

COCKED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Great Video Djones,

Thanks for sharing that...

Regards,
Dan

COCKED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anybody else want to share a story about a long range shot they made?

Last edited by COCKED; 01/04/17.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
After you think you've learned all about long range shooting.....venture out to Raton, New Mexico and shoot in a Palma Match at the NRA Whittington Center!

Fort Wolters, Texas about 30 years back was a 'booger'! The wind comes out of the ground in Texas THERE.....and runs all over Texas during the day and comes back THERE to sleep at night!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And then there was Camp Bullis.....

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Shot there with 4th Army 1960....and it was a 'wussie' compared to the other two places!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Calm weather don't make good marksman

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Damn good for establishment of No Wind Zeros however.....which must be confirmed on a real regular basis when the opportunity allows!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (2UP, 1eyedmule, 44mc, 35, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 12 invisible), 1,320 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,272
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.