Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Asked about this at DSC. It is a little faster 223. Made mostly for the AR platform. They will make a bolt gun, also.

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by TexasMark
Asked about this at DSC. It is a little faster 223. Made mostly for the AR platform. They will make a bolt gun, also.
Interesting.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by deflave

Oh my fugking Christ on the cross...

Dave

Yes, I am well aware you don't approve, and that you disagree that the results others are getting aren't true. Still, could not care less.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by deflave

Oh my fugking Christ on the cross...

Dave

Yes, I am well aware you don't approve, and that you disagree that the results others are getting aren't true. Still, could not care less.

Still think a 22Creedmoor has 5-6grns more water capcity than a 22-250AI? Still think a 22Creedmoor can safely achieve speeds that drive a 22-250AI to 80,000psi?

I noticed you went silent on the precvious discussion, was hoping you had finally startrd to do a little ciphering. I see now that's not the case, Good luck keeping your fingers, eyes, etc when you get the new rifle.

David

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Alright.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Many "old guys" always disparage new cartridges as doing nothing that "tried and true" cartridges don't already do. What they don't get is that most cartridge development in the past century has NOT been to increase velocity.

Most basic smokeless-powder calibers and velocities were established by 1917. Most of what's been done for the past 100 years is tweaking case-shapes to produce the same ballistics so cartridges will work in different actions.

This is because actions varied considerably over the first few decades of smokeless powder, when many were weeded out. They still continue to be refined, and the increasing popularity of AR's is a perfect example. But much cartridge development during the last half of the 20th century was due to the appearance of the Remington 722 in the late 1940's, which fixed "short" bolt-action magazine length at a little over 2.8 inches.

Then came the high-BC bullet trend, due to affordable, civilian laser range-finders, which appeared in the 1990's. This made too many of the established "short" cartridge a little too long for the now-established short-magazine length.

No, muzzle velocities and bullet diameters haven't really changed much in the last century. But rifle actions have. Not every action is made to accommodate the .30-06 or .375 H&H anymore, or even the .308 Winchester. If you prefer using such actions, and cartridges and bullets to fit them, by all means do so. There are plenty around.

But not everybody wants to, the reason there are no laws against case-shape tweakings to accommodate 21st-century realities in rifle actions or bullet shape. You may consider these "fads," but millions of other shooters don't.

I remember a time, a whole decade ago, when many Campfire experts were questioning the reasons for the 6.5 Creedmoor, predicting it would fall flat on its face because "it doesn't do anything the 6.5x55 or .260 don't do." If the only reality in rifle cartridges was muzzle velocity, then they would have been absolutely right. But it isn't, which is why the 6.5 Creedmoor is well on its way to becoming a standard chambering.

So get over it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Are gophers that tough now?

not in my parts.......

20 cal V max tears 'em up........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well, I am excited the 22x6.8.

Gunsmith has a reamer and dies.

Plus a Lilja barrel........

I suppose I am in the distinct minority, but 40 and 50 grain bullets are all I am going to shoot in it.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Well, I am excited the 22x6.8.

Gunsmith has a reamer and dies.

Plus a Lilja barrel........

I suppose I am in the distinct minority, but 40 and 50 grain bullets are all I am going to shoot in it.

Gophers beware ! What platform Jim ?

If they weren't such a pain to possess and shoot in Canuckistan, I'd have one in an AR for gophers etc.

Given that restriction , and the rebated brass issues; I can't see what it does for me in a bolt/single that any of a .223 / .204 / .22-250 doesn't already. Time will tell.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Its going to be an AR.

26 inch barrel, medium heavy contour, gas block will be .750.

Nothing to take a walk with, but I have a prairie dog town in my back yard.

We wont be using the .22 Nosler with the rebated rim.....just a regular neck down of the 6.8.

Sure, I have a .17 fireball, several .221's, .223's and a 22-250....plus I am going to order a .17 hornet.

It's my nickle right?

Barrel life might be poor, but as my gunsmith likes to say, "they make new barrels every day."

I am MAGA.
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TexasMark

And yet all their load info shows data from a 24" barrel...............

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JB - I think the Creedmoor ammo quality and cost, along with factory rifles did more to shore up it's sales and acceptance as much as it's design attributes. It is a good one. One might only imagine what the 260 Might have been had Remington done what Hornady did....offer match quality ammo at good prices. Not in the cards for Rem to do such a thing.....

I suspect the new round will deliver, how many converts Nosler has will be interesting, but the 223 market is huge, and they surely will get some piece of it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As JB has pointed out in the past, Nosler doesn't go after the Everyman market with their cartridges, but rather the folks that want a something a little special. Seems to be working out for them.

I'd feel safer investing in a Nosler (or Hornady) creation than in something new from Remington or Winchester, who have pulled the plug pretty quickly on stuff that didn't take off in the market right away.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Another .224" cartridge? Oh joy. Now it should be noted that there are a few .224" chamberings in my safe, .223 Remington, 5.56 NATO, .223 Wylde, .22-250 Remington and .22-250 Ackley, and somewhere in the gloom at the rear of the safe, a .220 Swift resides. The newer rifles, all homemades, have faster twists, 1:10", 1:9" and 1:8" all for the advent of the lead free stuff such as Barnes Varmint Grenades, Hornady's NTX, and Nosler's really great BT Lead Free.

While I usually jump on the bandwagon for new cartridges, loving the excitement of experimenting with new loads and endless Excel spreadsheets of chronograph data, this time I'll pass. Why? Because I can, and because I also have numerous other fabulous cartridges that are obscure, obsolete, unobtainable or limited to seasonal runs, or proved foolish after the hype wore off. The .243 WSSM comes to mind, a truly unsung misunderstood cartridge that I found superb for varmint when loaded with 62 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades in a 1:8" twist Brux barrel. Ground squirrels feeding on wet alfalfa simply disappeared, sucked into a vortex to another dimension, out to 350 yards. But everybody laughed at the fat stubby little case, and I proved prescient when cornering the market on .243 WSSM brass to keep it fed.

Then I must ask, just how much killing is necessary when hunting ground squirrels? The photo below is what remains of one such rodent when hit by a 50 grain Varmint Grenade from a .22-250 Remington at a bit over 100 yards. Note that I think it was trying to flip me the bird just before his paw was disconnected from his central nervous system. A few feet-per-second more hardly making much difference, with this extended as true for bullets designed for larger game.

[Linked Image]

Nonetheless, it's good Nosler keeps the bandwagon rolling along with excellent products for new generations of hunters and shooters.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Fast twist, heavy bullet .22s are hardly for the folks poking squirrels at a hundred yards.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Finallly. Now I can do something with the POS Remington 700 I have in 6.8 spc. Minute of barn on a good day. Salami 22-6.8 with the nosler name will likely have more plumbers with a reamer.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by BeardHunter
Finallly. Now I can do something with the POS Remington 700 I have in 6.8 spc. Minute of barn on a good day. Salami 22-6.8 with the nosler name will likely have more plumbers with a reamer.

Not really...the 22 Nosler doesnt share a bolt face with the 6.8SPC...So...your 6.8 will be harder to rechamber than a standard .223. Why not just go with a standard 22-6.8?

Last edited by liliysdad; 01/18/17.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I would be interested in an upper if they had pushed the shoulder back and shortened the case a smidge, to make it magazine-friendly with the longer ogive high BC bullets.

I'd happily give up some powder space/MV, for higher BC.

As it is, no interest whatsoever.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

It's working, I can feel it.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.