Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Recently my 10/22 would not fire every time so I took it all apart and cleaned everything and lubed it. It still wouldn't fired every time and I could not eject an unfired cartridge.

What is wrong with some gunsmiths. Yesterday I took it to a 'smith. I asked him to replace the firing pin spring with a new one and replace the hook that pulls the unfired cartridge from the chamber. I didn't think I needed to tell him it has a custom match chamber. He called me today and told me it was ready.

When I picked it up he told me the chamber was too tight so he reamed it out! Say what?! I told him I have fired hundreds if not thousands of rounds with it set up the way it was. He told me it was not right so he fixed it. I asked if he installed the new hook and spring. He told me they were fine and charged me $50. mad

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Recently my 10/22 would not fire every time so I took it all apart and cleaned everything and lubed it. It still wouldn't fired every time and I could not eject an unfired cartridge.

What is wrong with some gunsmiths. Yesterday I took it to a 'smith. I asked him to replace the firing pin spring with a new one and replace the hook that pulls the unfired cartridge from the chamber. I didn't think I needed to tell him it has a custom match chamber. He called me today and told me it was ready.

When I picked it up he told me the chamber was too tight so he reamed it out! Say what?! I told him I have fired hundreds if not thousands of rounds with it set up the way it was. He told me it was not right so he fixed it. I asked if he installed the new hook and spring. He told me they were fine and charged me $50. mad

Considering how f'ked up most of your gunsmithing is, he is likely right and you are wrong...again.

That "hook" is called an extractor.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does it work now?

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
laugh

Last edited by mudhen; 01/06/17.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ream out the tight chamber on my unit, and one has just purchased himself a rifle. I'll be doing the charging.

This has to be tongue in cheek.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/06/17.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Does it work now?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
He also said it 'wouldn't eject.....' The 'hook' (extractor) "extracts", the case. It does not 'eject' the case.. That's the 'ejector's' job.. Replacing the extractor will not necessarily cure an ejection problem..

smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The little hook that pulls the unfired cartridge would not pull the unfired cartridge out of the chamber. It also would not fire most of the time. There was no problem with the chamber since I fired several bricks through the rifle prior to the recent problem? Why would a 'smith cut the chamber with the requests of put a new hook in and new striker spring in?

Everyday Hunter
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ringman: I have three friends who have had their "match chambered" re-barreled Ruger 10/22's "worked on".
The work was to alleviate sporadic fail to extract and fail to eject problems.
And that "work" was "cut the chamber" or more specifically using a standard chamber reamer to ever so slightly "open up the chamber".
ALL of these three friends now enjoy more reliable extraction and ejection!
I hope you do NOT notice any diminishment of accuracy with your now opened up 10/22.
None of my three friends have complained of a loss in accuracy - but they are all Ground Squirrel Hunters and they may or may not have tested/compared the results (before and after)?
I can not comment on the gunsmiths action in doing something you did not clearly authorize (i.e. you may have said to him something like "make it work" and he may have thought that was the correct action to take to get to your stated goal?).
I do recall two of my friends paying $30.00 for the specified "chamber opening" they wanted.
I feel lucky when I now have a local "gunsmith" who will do things like this.
Before I had to drive 145 miles south of here (each way!) to get to an ol'timey gunsmith who would work on minor ailments of lesser valued arms!
Sorry you are displeased but I am hoping for good results in accuracy and in extraction/ejection.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The little hook that pulls the unfired cartridge would not pull the unfired cartridge out of the chamber. It also would not fire most of the time. There was no problem with the chamber since I fired several bricks through the rifle prior to the recent problem? Why would a 'smith cut the chamber with the requests of put a new hook in and new striker spring in?

Please tell me you weren't shooting Remingtons out of it when you started having problems.

A buddy of mine also had a custom barrel with a tight chamber. Remington 22LRs did the same thing as you describe. He had zero problems with CCI.

Kelly
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's called an "extractor".

Does the rifle work now?

What ammunition were you using?

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
VarmintGuy,

Thanks for the encouragement. As soon as the weather breaks here I will take it to the range.

Originally Posted by KMS

Please tell me you weren't shooting Remingtons out of it when you started having problems.

A buddy of mine also had a custom barrel with a tight chamber. Remington 22LRs did the same thing as you describe. He had zero problems with CCI.

I've been shooting Remington Yellow Jackets. I can depend on five shot 5/8" groups at 50 yards. I use this one for ground squirrels. I have enough targets to compare the before and after.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VarmintGuy,

Thanks for the encouragement. As soon as the weather breaks here I will take it to the range.

Originally Posted by KMS

I've been shooting Remington Yellow Jackets. I can depend on five shot 5/8" groups at 50 yards. I use this one for ground squirrels. I have enough targets to compare the before and after.

Remington YJs are one of the most variable lot-to-lot .22s out there, in bullet weight, powder, and case dimensions. They won't even load in two of my .22s about 1/2 the time, whereas most other stuff (CCIs, Federal, Wolf, and Eley) have no problems at all.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Remington YJs = cheap Walmart GARBAGE, PARTICULARLY in Bentz or match chambers.

Sloppy chambers rule ?

.....not

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rich, which gunsmith? I have a rifle at a smith in GP getting rebarreled. Hopefully not the same one!

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd not do a match chamber in a semi-auto.

Have a bolt action Anschutz and regardless of ammo, one can not extract a loaded round by cycling the bolt. It has to be fired before one can eject a cartridge. A very accurate ground squirrel rifle.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, does the rifle work now or not?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Match chambered 10-22 barrels I have installed came with a warning that they will not allow extraction of unfired ammo. Recutting the chamber with a standard reamer is the fix if that is what is desired.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I like the bentz chamber for the .22lr 10/22

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I took it to the range. Before the "repair" it would regularly fire five Yellow Jackets into 5/8". After the "repair" it will fire five Yellow Jackets into a patter of 5".

By the way, Kp321, this rifle had a modified extractor that extracted unfired rounds and just wore out.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rich, it sounds like a good pattern size for grouses. AKA grice.

LOL
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I took it to the range. Before the "repair" it would regularly fire five Yellow Jackets into 5/8". After the "repair" it will fire five Yellow Jackets into a patter of 5".

By the way, Kp321, this rifle had a modified extractor that extracted unfired rounds and just wore out.
If you new what was wrong(extractor),why didn't you fix it yourself?A 10 minute job at the most.I think the only way to get 5 yellow jackets in a 5/8" group at 50 yards would be to shoot 50 and pick out the best 5.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Pleased it happened to you because stupid should bloody well hurt.

Twit.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

hundreds if not thousands

So, which is it you miserable lying turd.

Several bricks...or thousands.

Warning...everything the ring-clown says is suspect.

Last edited by JSTUART; 01/15/17.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JimH

If you new what was wrong(extractor),why didn't you fix it yourself?A 10 minute job at the most.I think the only way to get 5 yellow jackets in a 5/8" group at 50 yards would be to shoot 50 and pick out the best 5.

You're showing your prejudice. This rifle has a barrel weight. I used the idea if two Yellow Jackets are not close together three won't be. With each two shot "group" I dialed the barrel weight about a 32 of an inch until it was a consistent 5/8" at fifty yards.

Since the chamber is so sloppy I can't get any consistency. I think I will buy another barrel and start over.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, you've got consistency alright.

It would appear you consistently screw up every firearm you dink around with.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Oh, you've got consistency alright.

It would appear you consistently screw up every firearm you dink around with.

GTC

Only person that won't ever figure that out is Wrongman.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The rechamber job may have introduced some headspace as well. Of course the 10/22 is a different beast, but I fought poor groups with a 77/22 until I found a thread on shimming the bolt to eliminate headspace. A 0.007 shim in the bolt turned it into 1 moa rifle. Had that not worked, it would have been off for a new barrel.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm going to have to call complete, and utter bs.

1) Ain't no way yellow jackets are going to group 5/8" at 50 yds.

2)Ain't no way you ran bricks of yellow jackets through a match chamber with no problems, and now have failures to fire and extract. Because, there's no way you can get through 100 rds of yellow jackets without a failure to fire.

3) Ain't no way after a slightly cleanup in the chamber a match 22 barrel is going to shoot 5".

I did have a green mountain match barrel for my 10/22 that was very fickle about feeding and ejecting and the accuracy was only slightly better than the factory barrel. Sent it back to Brownells, got a Clark match barrel and now it'll feed and extract anything I feed it, and 10 shot 50 yd groups are a bit over 1" for bulk fodder and 1/2" for preferred match fodder.

Last edited by 458 Lott; 01/18/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
this rifle had a modified extractor that extracted unfired rounds and just wore out.

Don't suppose a fella might ask, "modified" by WHOM .
Or "Modified" HOW
Or "Wore out" WHERE.
....oh, forget it, none of us would understand all the complexities.

GTC

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.