Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Everyone seems to like them. I've got a teen driver in the house. Give me things to look for, years to avoid, etc. I've never had anything but a domestic full sized truck.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Budget ? great trucks......

have a '98 3.4 5 speed ext cab & '05 4.0 auto...DB cab

don't plan to tow much with either......hate the wife's auto....

rear diff in both.....great traction..very durable trucks...

had them 10+ yrs each...little issues...they usually sell by word

of mouth....or in the family...also high book if you find one on

the street...look at Auto Trader..may have to travel to buy...

I would buy another in a minute...4 bangers are bulletproof......

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3441098?ad_cid=7

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3440051?ad_cid=15

Last edited by tikkanut; 01/07/17.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Do some research on the rusted frame problem. Some years were pretty bad but I don't know which years. I'm sure that some here know a lot more about it than me.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I have a 1998 4Runner (3rd Generation) which should have a drive train similar to the same generation tacoma and it is dangerous on a slick roads in 2WD. Just a wet road from rain will cause it to fishtail on sharp turns and snow is just a no-no in 2WD. I have no problem with it because I know its issues and how to deal with it.

Now put it in 4WD and you have a great vehicle on slick roads and snow, the issue is it is part time 4WD (just like a tacoma) and therefore cannot be run in 4WD in rain covered roads or roads that have spotty snow or ice.

My granddaughter will be driving soon but I would not put her in my 4Runner. A new driver would not know how to react to a fishtail situation. An AWD vehicle such as a Subaru would be much safer than my 4Runner.

I would assume a Tacoma would drive similarly, or even worse with the lighter rear end, but I very well could be wrong.

Just food for thought.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K1500
Everyone seems to like them. I've got a teen driver in the house. Give me things to look for, years to avoid, etc. I've never had anything but a domestic full sized truck.

What years do you have in mind? Around here, you can still find older Toyota pickups with the 22RE motors for less than the Tacoma's. My favorite year is the '85 since it is the last year with the solid front axle. It is also the first year with EFI. They are great on gas mileage, good for off road and handle well on the pavement. They are more sluggish than the newer 3.4 or 4.0 v-6, but that may not be a bad thing either. Considering it's a "first" truck for a young kid... Other years to consider are the '89-'95 (pre Tacoma badged). Those are excellent trucks. However, avoid the 3.0 v-6 like the plague. They had numerous problems.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Had a 99 Tacoma Extended Cab 4wd with the 2.7 liter 4 banger. It was a bullet proof truck. Had to replace the contacts in the starter and replace the interior dome lamp. Sold it to my brother in law and it has been reliable for him. Just last year he finally had to replace the factory muffler. The rest of the exhaust system was fine. 1999 models were covered under the frame recall but mine had no problems and still does not. Don't get a lot of snow here so not a lot of salt used.

My wife had a 2001 4Runner that was a solid vehicle as well. A previous poster mentioned the 4Runner and a lack of traction. I never ran into that problem unless I purposely tried to make it loose. I ran Michelin LTX MS2's and BFG AT's on the Tacoma and did not have any traction issues in the rain. The Tacoma rear end would move around really quick in ice or snow but put it in 4wd and it went like a little tank. The 4Runner handled much better in the rain, snow and ice.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the advice. They are hard to find used. I was looking at fairly late models, say 2005 and newer. It was hoping it would tow a utility trailer with a couple of 4 wheelers on it. She learned to drive a 3/4 ton crew cab but wants something smaller. I can get a 1/2 ton domestic in the same age/condition for similar prices. It seems it is hard to find one listed for much less than 15-20k.

Last edited by K1500; 01/07/17.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Check in here.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/

We are on our 2nd one.First was a four banger, 4 sp. Just not enough power in the Colorado hills. Great for going up,but going down left something to be desired with engine breaking. I think it was a 94.Only problem we had was it went thru a few water pumps. The way the belt tension works ,always put too much side pull on it. If not caught,it cost a pretty penny when the fan takes out the radiator.Sold it at 275K miles and it is still running

The present one is 2004. 6 cyl, 5 sp. Almost the same problem,but now it is recomended to change out the timing belt,hoses and water pump a 100K. It all comes as a kit. About $300 installed. Other than that,no problems at 140K.

Edited. I forgot,I put front struts on it.

One thing we learned, if you find a used one you like, buy it either private or on a lot, because it will be gone tomorrow.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/07/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Prior to a 2003 yes anything built after that is a maintenance problem . I bought one for my son 2009 as his first vehicle and he chipped in as much as he could. We have spent 4k on it and that does not include tires and regular maintenance since 2012. It has 105 k on it .

IC B3

K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You have 4K in maintenance alone? Ouch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Meh, ours is a 2007 with 160k. I've put maybe 1500$ into replacing failed parts. Not too bad, but I've done most of it myself. Brakes, wheel bearings, shocks...nothing engine related. Been a good truck mostly. I agree they are not great trucks for icy conditions.

Eat moose, burn spruce
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've been looking for one for my teenage son as well they really keep their value as I haven't been able to find one that was reasonably priced with under 100000 miles. I bought a 92 here in the classifieds as my fishing/hunting truck and it runs great.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hate to see kids with older Toyota Trucks, period...

The ones around here just Flog the crap out of them, and end up totaling them in a short time...

My son was taught well, and is similar to 'driving Ms Daisy'...

but if not, and most other kids, all I'd buy them is a $500 beater and let them learn on that, and tear that up...

they don't need something decent until they get some maturity...

I certainly know if my son was like I was in High School and early college, he'd be walking and knowing the bus schedule real well...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

β€œOwning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an 09 Tacoma 4 door. Best truck I've ever had . Almost 190k one broken leaf spring, other than that just normal maintenance items. Gets 19 -20 mpg and goes anywhere i need to go. I would have no problem buying a Tacoma for my kids.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

It is a 2006 not a 2009. It is a TRD access cab with the long bed 4x4 4.0 6cyl 6speed manual.

front engine seal ..5 days in shop 1300 dollars
both front wheel bearings total 1100 dollars
new clutch 1100 dollars
driveshaft universals changed 800 dollars
replace cheap TRD wheels 700 dollars

Rear leaf springs replaced Free on recall
Front seat belts replaced Free on recall
Rust recall scraped and painted rust spots

That does not count oil changes for transmission,engine and differentials.

They used to be a great truck, they are now an ovverated POS. I have owned 2 of them myself a 2009 and a 2014. NFW will that happen ever again.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

It is a 2006 not a 2009. It is a TRD access cab with the long bed 4x4 4.0 6cyl 6speed manual.

new clutch 1100 dollars

They used to be a great truck, they are now an ovverated POS. I have owned 2 of them myself a 2009 and a 2014. NFW will that happen ever again.

Sounds like you got a lemon. I know several people with Tacoma's from that era and none have had the problems you experienced. All still have them or traded them for newer Tacoma's or Tundra's.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

new clutch 1100 dollars

Sounds like you got a lemon. I know several people with Tacoma's from that era and none have had the problems you experienced. All still have them or traded them for newer Tacoma's or Tundra's.

Bought it used in 2012 after the warranty had expired. It started to implode around 90K . My Kid drives it like an old person. I had a 2009 and 2014, the 2009 had rear wheel bearings replaced , the 2014 was constantly getting a front end alignment.
He loves the truck , I would n't want one free.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My good friend has a 2002 4cyl 5 speed with about 60K on it at present. It is in Colorado, garaged always, and well maintained. The frame is showing signs of being rusted out in a couple of areas. Were I considering buying one I would make sure what has been done to the frame and whether or not the year you are looking at has any remaining rust warranty coverage from Toyota.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The 2004 and earlier models were good trucks - a little crude compared to the 2nd Gen Tacomas,mbut very tough. Some of the 05-06 Tacomas had auto transmission issues and head gasket failures. Neither issue was common, but neither were recalls, Most of the transmission problems can be cured w/ a dealer flash of the computer, the head gasket not so much....

Great driving vehicles. The short bed 4- dr 2nd gen configuration has close to a 50-50 weight distribution. Decent tires and they drive great un bad weather, 4wd even better. Comments about part time 4wd not being able to be used on the road in bad weather - Wow! Always new and special idiots out there.....

Good trucks, check the frames carefully no major rust issues and you should be fine.

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
2013 Thanksgiving. Driving my wife's 2013 4Runner, my son following in my 2012 Tacoma - Driving through the pass just south of Alpine. We had taken a back road and didn't realize they had shut down the highway. We engaged 4wd in both vehciles, both equipped with Mickey Thompson MTZ's (not snow tires), slowed the frick down and made it through with zero problems with the "part time 4wd"....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used 100k Tacomas and 4Runners for teens is pretty much standard procedure around here, if the parents can find them and afford them.

My 2011 DC 4x4 V6 is a good truck. I wish Toyota would have put disc brakes on the back and a bit more agressive tune on the auto transmission, as it upshifts earlier than I'd like. With my 265/75r16 tires, I wind up locking OD out until I hit 50mph on a highway.

Now with even more aplomb
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JPro
Used 100k Tacomas and 4Runners for teens is pretty much standard procedure around here, if the parents can find them and afford them.

My 2011 DC 4x4 V6 is a good truck. I wish Toyota would have put disc brakes on the back and a bit more agressive tune on the auto transmission, as it upshifts earlier than I'd like. With my 265/75r16 tires, I wind up locking OD out until I hit 50mph on a highway.

Always wondered why they didn't use Disc's in the rear, some on the toyota forums have put 4 runner discs on the rear and they were not pleased with the brake performance for whatever reason. I would like to know why they went away from a locking rear differential and now use ABS to control traction. That is Bullchitt, they alos neutered the Tundra that way as well.

K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How well would a Tacoma 6 cyl tow a utility trailer with two quads? Maybe 1,500 lbs? On a 3,000 mile road trip. Through the Rockies. Should I just be looking at a full sized 1/2 ton for that? Also, does a standard quad fit in the bed (not towing at the same time).

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
1500# should be no problem. I tow my ~2500# pop-up all over the hills here behind my Frontier (similar power-wise) and it's mostly like it's not there.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
How well would a Tacoma 6 cyl tow a utility trailer with two quads? Maybe 1,500 lbs? On a 3,000 mile road trip. Through the Rockies. Should I just be looking at a full sized 1/2 ton for that? Also, does a standard quad fit in the bed (not towing at the same time).

They tow very very well for their size. I believe in the 6500# range

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't owned a Toyota pickup for a long time, but if you're looking at a quad-cab, I think that the Ford Explorer Sport-Tracs are probably less expensive, very comfortable, and mine has gone everywhere I've tried to take it. I've even slept in the backseat a couple of times while hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
High resale value is a good thing....... if you are the one selling. Not as a buyer.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm finding that out. They are priced similar to a domestic 1/2 ton, which may be the way I head anyway. The Taco bed sure looks small standing next to it. I was hoping to be able to haul a quad in the bed. I need to look up dimensions and such, but I'm not sure that's a go with the Taco like it is with a full sized truck.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm finding that out. They are priced similar to a domestic 1/2 ton, which may be the way I head anyway. The Taco bed sure looks small standing next to it. I was hoping to be able to haul a quad in the bed. I need to look up dimensions and such, but I'm not sure that's a go with the Taco like it is with a full sized truck.

The Tacoma will not fit a 4 ft wide sheet of plywood between the wheel wells

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're looking for something reasonable and reliable for a first truck AND you can turn a wrench.

Check out the local craiqslist for a 3.0 or 4.0 ohv Ford Ranger. Stay away from the SOHC.

There's typically a few that need a head or head gaskets. 500-1000.00 and throw a 100-500.00 at it. Bottom ends are typically good for 300,000 miles.

Cheap first truck that a guy can get his money out of a year or two later, if not make a little bit.

Life is just one damned thing after another
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Bought a 3.0 liter Mazda for my son's first truck. 2wd but we had dedicated snows for winter, which makes a TON of difference

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

They tow very very well for their size. I believe in the 6500# range

Even though they're rated for it, you don't want to tow 6500# behind any mid size truck, even with weight distribution and a trailer brake controller it's going to be miserable.

Originally Posted by saddlesore

The Tacoma will not fit a 4 ft wide sheet of plywood between the wheel wells

Not between the wheel wells but it'll fit between the bed sides. Not sure on the width of a 4 wheeler but it might fit, although you'd have to drive over/on top of the wheel wells.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Tacoma ain't for a guy that has a 4 wheeler - it's for the guy that doesn't.....

The bed won't handle a normal 4 wheeler w/o resting the rear tires on the tailgate. The tailgate isn't made for this - eventuallly you will dump your 4wheeler on the highway....

Now for the guy that wants to drive his truck in there, it ain't a 4 wheelerr, but it's worlds lighter than an F150....

David

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Its been a while since I sold my 92 Toyota pickup to my cousin but they are terrific little trucks for hunting or driving around. That old truck would tow a lot of weight ......slowly. It would go most places you could get an atv .

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I had a '99 that Toyota bought back due to the frame recall and an '09 after that. My '99 had 150k on it with no issues and it killed me to get rid of it (still drove like new) but I thought I was basically getting to start over with the '09. The '09 was good mechanically but the body had terrible corrosion issues. Lots of surface rust around the windows, windshield and hood. I was actually relieved to sell that one and am currently trying my luck with a '16 F-150 2.8L. I LOVE this truck so far and if it works out, I'll stay Ford but if I can't get 200-250k out of it, I'd probably try my luck on another Tacoma.

If I could find my son an older body-style Tacoma that didn't have the frame rust issues, I'd buy one for him in a second but they're definitely not easy to come by!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
All these reports have me leaning toward a full sized 1/2 ton. Same price, same mileage, more capacity. The Toyota looks neat but the newer ones are as much as a full sized truck but they lack the bed, cargo, and tow capacity.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
All these reports have me leaning toward a full sized 1/2 ton. Same price, same mileage, more capacity. The Toyota looks neat but the newer ones are as much as a full sized truck but they lack the bed, cargo, and tow capacity.

I have owned 2 tacomas , my brother owns one and has owned at the minimum a small fleet of them for his business. He likes them all 2002 or before models but likes his Silverado much better for anything not work related. Gets the same mileage and 2 times the interior room. I won't buy another Tacoma , next truck will be a 1/2 or 3/4 ton

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tacomas aren't for people who need a full size truck. That should be obvious. However, for those who don't, they are great trucks. I love my 2012.

I don't haul loads much over 500lbs and pull small trailers. I've taken my Tacoma down trails I wouldn't have taken a full size truck. I've hauled elk and moose home with it with no problem.

Most maintenance issues can be done at home. I've changed out my gears and added a Detroit TrueTrac, plus replaced all the suspension parts for better.

Tacomas are great for their intended purpose.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Canazes9
The Tacoma ain't for a guy that has a 4 wheeler - it's for the guy that doesn't.....

The bed won't handle a normal 4 wheeler w/o resting the rear tires on the tailgate. The tailgate isn't made for this - eventuallly you will dump your 4wheeler on the highway....

Now for the guy that wants to drive his truck in there, it ain't a 4 wheelerr, but it's worlds lighter than an F150....

David

I have the 6' bed and can fit a standard sized quad in it just fine, the funny thing is, I take my truck most places that I would typically take my quad.

My 2016 will tow my 3K boat just fine.

Last edited by WRO; 02/02/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ahhhhhh reminisce about my 1st truck.... My 1st truck was a 81 Yota w/ a 22R motor and that truck was bullet-proof! Except fer the tranny, since I put 2 of em in it before it had 150K on it... Mostly due to driver's fault!!! hahaha Next was a Nissan truck I bought new in 92. That was an excellent truck to. After those 2, I bought full size and never looked back. I love the newer Tacoma's but pull too much weight to get one. Fer a kid, I think it would be a great truck if you can find someone who ain't breaking the bank on one.

I bought a Z71 Crew new in 2010 and when my youngin' was 16 I looked all over fer a Yota but the prices were ridiculous. That's when I thought, hmmmmm I'll give him my 10 model and buy me a new one!!! Momma was on board so later 2014 I bought another new Z71 Crew and my youngin' has never had a issue with the 2010. Now I did explain to him that all his buddies driving ragged out trucks and tearing them up in the woods wasn't going to happen w/ his truck and he has been very good with it... Unfortunately it will be going on the chopping block in a few months when he goes to college and we get him an economical car to go back and forth to Tallahassee!!!

Good luck on your search fer him and it is a special time when you get your 1st sled!!!

Last edited by JasonR; 02/16/17.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had a 1989 that the fenders looked like a cheese grater.
One day I was poking my finger through the frame and decided it was time to sell. I never had any problems with fishtailing.
It got good traction even in 2WD. It had a manual transmission and a 3.0 V 6. The back seat was not suitable for passengers unless they were very young.
I think they should make a 1 ton with a diesel.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
She now is leaning towards a full sized half ton, and so am I. Carries more, does more, costs the same, and gets similar mileage without the frame rot issue. She is used to driving a 3/4 ton crew, so drivability isn't an issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My daughter drove my Avalanche as her first vehicle from the time she turned 16 til she went to college. Even though we had the Tacoma, she preferred the full size vehicle. She did just fine with it. I'm sure your daughter will do great with whatever you end up getting.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
R
R
Hey all! I'm new on this legendary forum and just wanted to put in my two cents on Tacomas and 4Runners, although this thread seems to be dead. I've had a 3rd generation 4Runner for about a year now, and while it's no power horse, it's extremely capable, especially if you have the money to install some decent tires. Though Tacomas had that rust issue, I think the recall shows how serious Toyota is/was about righting the issue. Personally I would opt for a second generation Taco over a first generation (more kinks worked out), mainly for the obvious reason of being more modern and providing better safety features and such. Another positive of Tacos (Toyotas in general) is their wide range of customizing options, so if your son grows to really like his rig, the opportunities to build upon it to make it the ideal camping/hunting/outdoors vehicle are limitless.

Roman Schnobrich
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.