Print Thread
Hop To
M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Have a pard up in Wyoming that had a bunch of elk sheds and so forth and he gave me several and I cut up a few pieces and here's the first attempt. kinda pleased with the outcome. Really been wanting to give M390 steel a try and this was an excuse to try the steel out as well. Will hopefully be trying it out this weekend.

Dale

[Linked Image]

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dale
I love weathered elk and mule deer antler.
That is a pretty cool shape and overall look.
The spine profile is neat. Is that notching in the curve?
What is M390 similar too? What do you heat treat it to?
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks pretty flippin' good...! That design looks like a very useable tool for field use.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Dale, I like the 'harpoon' look. Very handsome. smile

Sam......

M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Tim,

Yeah, the spine is Jimped in the curve. took a little playing with a file to get that to work. smile

M390 is a pretty high end Bohler Uddeholm micro particle gen 3 steel. I would say it is probably about equiv. to S90V as far as cutting, however it doesn't seem as difficult to sharpen, although I've sort of lost sight of which are hard to sharpen and which aren't . The heat treat is fairly high running up about 2150ish at peak with a couple of stress relieving stages. (Basically identical to elmax) Fairly involved temper process with 3 separate stages and multiple cryo steps involved.

Then end result appears to be rather incredible from what I can tell. I've found nothing that comes close to elmax for general purpose - "average guy" knife steel and from my reading M390 is probably a little to difficult to sharpen for the average guy, but I was surprised to see that this took an edge fairly easily. (Sampling of 1 of course) It has a ton of chromium in the content so it is extremely stain resistant. It isn't supposed to be quite as tough as Elmax, but will hold an edge a bit longer. We'll see how it behaves, but it sure does sharpen up to a razor's edge. It has that buttery feel that I like when sharpening that just felt exactly right. Now to see how it holds up.

Check out my new website

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I like that one! the Elk scales realy nice!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've bought a few elk handled knives because of the looks and I like to elk hunt. That's 2 reasons to buy another knife. This one looks quite nice. Congrats on your design and choice.
Let me know when you have one for sale.

M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
thanks guys. appreciate all the comments. My wife says this may be the prettiest knife I've built and considering how many I've done that's sayin' a lot. She's trying to take ownership, so it may become hers before its all done. I've got a bit more elk horn although I haven't processed it and its a lot of work, but the end result is certainly worth the effort. Headed to the hills to see if I can put a little mileage on it this evening.

Dale

Check out my new website

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good luck to you , get it dirty!!!!

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Have a pard up in Wyoming that had a bunch of elk sheds and so forth and he gave me several and I cut up a few pieces and here's the first attempt. kinda pleased with the outcome. Really been wanting to give M390 steel a try and this was an excuse to try the steel out as well. Will hopefully be trying it out this weekend.

Dale

[Linked Image]

Wow! I really like that! Nice job.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh god damn er, I want one....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Beautiful work there.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Looks amazing ! I'd love to have a knife that looked that good !

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 59 invisible), 3,344 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.