Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70

Cats are susceptible to shock.

Ive heard this said on forums for some yrs, so how does this shock theory work?

Animals will only stop and die from a projectile after it causes either;
1./ physical trauma resulting in extreme low blood pressure or, 2./ physical trauma to the central nervous system.

I suppose it knocks them loopy long enough for 1./ to happen.

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Lions do not have thick hides or large bones like a Cape buffalo. Bullets that are good enough for a large Canadian mule deer are all that is needed for a lion. A-frames or triple shocks are too sturdy for a lightly framed like a lion. A Speer 270 grain Hot-Cor probably will not open up on a broad side shot on a large lion.

Poor shooting is the biggest reason for bullet and\or caliber failures. Deer bullets are more than adequate for cats. That is lions or leopards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cas6969

Ill add that to the crazy list along side the theory of cartridge 'knock-down' power.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Big_Game_Hunter
As some have pointed out here, some countries have a .375 caliber minimum for dangerous game. However, if it's legal to use where you'll be hunting, the 9.3x62mm Mauser is a great choice. If you can find them, the 258gr RWS H-Mantel bullets for the 9.3 are an absolutely perfect choice for lion. They combine a perfect mix of rapid fragmentation with deep penetration. As an added bonus, they are designed to make clean, circular entrance and exit wounds that bleed freely, but do not ruin the hide.
http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/2014/08/rws-h-mantel/

I LOVE the H-mantle in this caliber! The terminal performance is astounding. While I have not taken lion with them, I intended to do so on my last Zambia trip. I did take cape buff, leopard, sable, zebra and other with that combo.
I have no doubt that it would prove very effective.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cas6969
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70

Cats are susceptible to shock.

Ive heard this said on forums for some yrs, so how does this shock theory work?

Animals will only stop and die from a projectile after it causes either;
1./ physical trauma resulting in extreme low blood pressure or, 2./ physical trauma to the central nervous system.

Pardon me, but cats are sure as hell susceptible to velocity. For one, all one has to do is actually talk with myriad PHs who attest to this, or just watch the overwhelming evidence in hunting films. As to the OP, Hatari, with extensive experience with the 9.3, pretty well covered it.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by albertan
Lions do not have thick hides or large bones like a Cape buffalo. Bullets that are good enough for a large Canadian mule deer are all that is needed for a lion. A-frames or triple shocks are too sturdy for a lightly framed like a lion. A Speer 270 grain Hot-Cor probably will not open up on a broad side shot on a large lion.

Poor shooting is the biggest reason for bullet and\or caliber failures. Deer bullets are more than adequate for cats. That is lions or leopards.

BS TSX, TTSX Bullets open fast and easily, I shot too many to believe otherwise. At 300 yards a 30 180 grain TSX threw a Praire dog 4 to 5 feet in the air with 6 feet of intestines streaming.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Pardon me, but cats are sure as hell susceptible to velocity. For one, all one has to do is actually talk with myriad PHs
who attest to this, or just watch the overwhelming evidence in hunting films.

Nobody has yet sensibly & rationally explained how the whole 'shock' effect theory works and your suggestion to simply watch
videos doesn't explain it either. A person could also watch videos of aircraft but still remain ignorant of the principles of flight.
hence why the P.O.F are explained to pilots.

What exactly is being shocked in the animal and how does the whole process work?

I am not aware of any proven effect in killing outside of physical trauma causing blood loss or destruction to the CNS.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the tip on P.O.F. Regarding cats,there are myriad books out there explaining this, linked to their central nervous system. The evidence is there, not to mention as related by PHs who've witnessed many cat kills.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Venture_South_Outfitting
By far the most impressive result was with the 270 WSM using Barnes X at close to 4000fps.

Ummm.what grain bullet? It's likely closer to 3200 fps if driving a 130 gr bullet. I'd not go lower in weight for cats albeit an 85-90 gr. copper bullet is impressive on Pronghorn Antelope and would be a good choice for some African plains game.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the tip on P.O.F. Regarding cats,there are myriad books out there explaining this, linked to their central nervous system. The evidence is there, not to mention as related by PHs who've witnessed many cat kills.

Fully agree. There is no doubt that high velocity has an extraordinary effect on cats.Their CNS does not seem to be able to cope with the effect from high velocity rounds.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the tip on P.O.F. Regarding cats,there are myriad books out there explaining this,
linked to their central nervous system. The evidence is there, not to mention as related by PHs who've witnessed many cat kills.

A Myriad..really?.....but you haven't named any at all which makes me wonder.
Are they proper scientific-anatomical based conclusive studies , or just hunting publications sprouting loose theories?
So which particular book do you recommend?

The evidence is there, not to mention as related by PHs who've witnessed many cat kills.

Again, amateur hunting videos are not scientific proof of CNS shock theory ,and neither is ordinary human observation
and conjecture.

The only way game dies from the effects of a projectile, is through physical destruction causing blood loss
or physical destruction to the CNS. Animals being shocked to death sounds very much like a wild theory that
regular people have perpetuated out of convenience. I have never seen anyone ever present on the net any
scientific -anatomical based conclusive study that supports the claim they have made about shock theory.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the tip on P.O.F. Regarding cats,there are myriad books out there explaining this,
linked to their central nervous system. The evidence is there, not to mention as related by PHs who've witnessed many cat kills.

A Myriad..really?.....but you haven't named any at all which makes me wonder.
Are they proper scientific-anatomical based conclusive studies , or just hunting publications sprouting loose theories?
So which particular book do you recommend?

I'm more a guy that believes in experience, and not what you read from a book. To me, an employee with no college degree, that has been doing a job for 20years is worth a lot more than some college graduate fresh out of college with all the right papers but no experience.
What I'm trying to say is, listen to what has been observed through our own eyes rather than what some book says.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Again, amateur hunting videos are not scientific proof of CNS shock theory ,and neither is ordinary human observation
and conjecture.

The only way game dies from the effects of a projectile, is through physical destruction causing blood loss
or physical destruction to the CNS. Animals being shocked to death sounds very much like a wild theory that
regular people have perpetuated out of convenience. I have never seen anyone ever present on the net any
scientific -anatomical based conclusive study that supports the claim they have made about shock theory.

Its called the temporary wound channel, where the size of the temporary cavity, is affected directly by the velocity of the projectile.
"Hydrostatic shock transfer refers to the effect when shock waves travel through flesh to distant nerve centers, disrupting their ability to emit electrical impulses."

The effect of Hydrostatic shock from high velocity rounds are evident in all animals, not just cats, but saying this, the cats are certainly most affected. I have seen these affects even on Cape Buffalo. I can clearly see the difference of the effects on Cape Buffalo being shot with a 200gr projectile from a .375H&H traveling at 3200fps, as compared to a 600gr fired from a .505 Gibbs, traveling at 2250fps. Now, I'm not comparing the calibers at all,and their killing abilities, merely the visual effects I have observed between fast and slower rounds on practical examples, where I feel situations were equal. (i.e. state of the animal, shot placement etc) The faster round puts them down faster, no doubt. This is from a single shot to a relaxed animal.I'm not even referring to a few feet difference, but a on average, the bulls taken with the lighter, faster projectile traveled between 10-15yds. before collapsing, compared to 50-70yds with the bigger calibers. I would say I have had a sample size of 5 Buffalo bulls to compare results on, so by no means enough to write a dissertation, but enough proof to myself that there certainly is a difference in effects where hydrostatic shock comes into play.
Cats are notorious for having a much more sensitive nervous system as compared to a brute of a Buffalo bull.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris

Fully agree. There is no doubt that high velocity has an extraordinary effect on cats.Their CNS does not seem to be able to cope with the effect from high velocity rounds.
Pretty much what my PH said too.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The ultimate cause of all death is anoxia to the brain. Brain doesn't get oxygen you die- from direct penetrating injury or from lack of blood (heart attack/stroke in humans; broken neck -> diaphragm no workie), etc.

In animals if you want to stop an animal in its tracks- you knock out the CNS ie brain and spinal cord.

The CNS and blood vessels are also susceptible to indirect penetrating injury (shock).

CNS- we've all had direct blows and felt numbness in our limbs, concussions, etc. These can also get injured from shock, these get edematous (swollen) from the insult and then stop working.

Similarly blood vessels (the smaller) get injured through shock (just read a thread on bullet types and my bullet does less meat damage BS). You've heard of people dying and getting strokes from a chiropractor (though a different mechanism of injury) it is still indirect non penetrating trauma. The neck is snapped, the inside wall of the blood vessel detaches and occludes the carotid artery -> no blood to brain (no O2) stroke.

Nothing kills like direct penetrating trauma. However, indirect trauma through "shock" can cause just as devastating injury when appropriately located.

Location, location, location

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
makes me wonder.

That is obvious...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don Heath lion article with comments on 9.3-
https://www.norma.cc/sv/Jakt-Skytteliv/Om-Jakt/Jaga-pa-afrikanska-stappen/lion-hunting-techniques/

Don Heath Vid.
9.3 at end-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jakKUkKTM6c

He was a proponent of the 9.3 and experienced with problem animal control.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,499
Posts18,452,455
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.