Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
COCKED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Who is using the spyderco triangle to sharpen their hunting knives? I just ordered one and have never used one before and am wondering if they are a good way to sharpen
knives?

Thanks
Dan

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Sharpmaker works well for maintaining and touching up an edge as long as the knife bevels match the Spyderco pre-set angles. Seriously dull knives, dinged up blades or reprofiling an edge are a lot of work on the Sharpmaker as it comes straight from Spyderco.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have used my neighbors Spyderco Sharpmaker, and vastly prefer my EdgePro Apex.

Sam......

COCKED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input guys... Anybody here using the Wicked edge sharpener and if so what do you think about it?

Thanks
Dan

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have been using the Wicked Edge Gen 3 Pro for about five months now and I really like it. The low angle adapter upgrade is a must for smaller knives. The system is a costly investment, but the quality of their stones is second to none that I've ever used. The indexing grid ensures that the knife is jigged exactly the same every time, thus eliminating the need for re-profiling. This extends the life expectancy of the blade. I've used this system on some ordinarily hard to sharpen blades without being disappointed. This includes Phil Wilson's S110V, Damasteel, Murray Carter's Super Blue, etc. I've also used it to sharpen blades en excess of 12". This is a very versatile system that is built to exacting tolerances.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There isn't a sharpening system out there that some praise and some cuss.
If you can try out one that someone else owns before buying you won't end up with several different ones as several of us here have.
My preference is the Edge Pro, but do use others sometimes.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Edge Pro for the detailed or involved work but my quick touch ups are done on a Sharpmaker.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The sharp maker is great as long asthe knife is not terribly dull to begin with. I use mine for 90% of the sharpening I do

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tim,

Which Edge Pro model to you use and with which grit stones?

Jeff

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jeff
Boise loaned me his for try out and I bought an Edge Pro Apex.

I start the edge bevel with 120grit on my 1x42 belt sander.
Then I use 120 at 24 degrees on the Edge to get the edge looking uniform and rolling a burr.
Then I do 220grit.
Then I do 600grit.
I finish with an impregnated leather strop.
Very sharp while still a little toothy.

Could get a little finer edge, but I am getting what I like.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I might add that I just now touched up the kitchen knives with a Work Sharp. Great for fillets and kitchen knives at 20 degrees.

One thing to do is what ever angle you end up most satisfied with, stay with that. Otherwise you will be removing steel you don't need to with every angle change.

Also stay with the same bevel ie;flat, convex, concave or once again you will be removing steel you don't need to.

Edge Pro is a flat bevel and Work Sharp is convex.
Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tim,

Any issues with the harder steels, like s30v, and the water stones on the edge pro?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Dude270
The sharp maker is great as long asthe knife is not terribly dull to begin with. I use mine for 90% of the sharpening I do

I have a Sharpmaker also and agree with this statement.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wicked edge works like a charm for me. Hair splitting edges every time.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
J
I have worked with A-2, 440C, 154CM, CPM154, S30V and 52100.
All heat treated in the 59-61 Rc range.
I personally see damned little difference in the difficulty to sharpen any of these and little difference in the edge retention either.
I don't see a lot of difference on the belt sander when doing the profiles and bevels either. Whether mill temper or heat treated.
Some are a little 'chippier' when cutting on band saw or drilling holes.

My experience and opinion is that you need a lab equipment environment to really see the performance differences
(with the geometry, heat treat and sharpening being equal) among the many good steels that I have worked with.

I keep my stones wet.
I use water with a drop of dish soap in it.
I keep the stones clean between blades using a toothbrush and the soapy water.
I change stones when they get worn much past flat.
I buy my stones from Edge Pro for quality reasons.

I like the Edge Pro for the ability to change stones quickly and the feel I have when holding the knife. I do not like the need to protect the blade with tape during sharpening, but the scotch brite belt will clean up the scratch nicely if I do mark up the blade.
I still use bench stones free hand occasionally and a Work Sharp for kitchen and fillet knives.

But that is just me and probably tooooo much info.

Tim

Albert Einstein

COCKED Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for taking your time and giving me some great information guys.

Regards,
Dan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dude270

Agree 100% with this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TTT

Any other insights?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Journeyman
TTT

Any other insights?

TTT...???

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with all that Tim has posted above. Yet I've taken of late to using a steel on on kitchen knives and occasionally on my edc. My custom knives only see an impregnated leather strip, on very rare cases the Edge Pro.

Shop knives gets hit with a Norton two sided stone, left very toothy.

I no longer have a microscope to inspect my edges. The microscope showed I was unable to sharpen by hand.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (308ld, 338reddog, 35, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 776 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.