Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
What's the value of an excellent condition Remington 1889 SxS double barrel? 32" Damascus barrels, double triggers, rabbit ears, and good checkering. I was told to shoot black powder only unless using light dove loads. I can add pictures later but the big question is value and should I have it redone for use?
Thanks in advance for the information and your knowledge on this old firearm.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by bamagun01; 01/07/17.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
(Excuse me if you know all or some of this stuff).

First of all, is it a ten or a twelve or a rare sixteen? And is the barrel "Damascus" or fluid "Armory" steel? Is it engraved? And what's the finish and bore condition? Does it have an antique serial number (made before 1898)? That makes it easier and less costly to sell because you can ship it direct to buyer with no middle man.

Lots of stuff has to be known before a value can be assigned and then it's only worth what a buyer will pay (insurance "value" is different).

For USE, you need to have a gunsmith look at it, somebody that knows old doubles well. That costs money.

One problem with old Remington doubles is that they have excessive drop in the buttstock by modern standards, which accentuates recoil.

If the bores look cherry, have a gunsmith measure the bore (barrel thickness) since sometimes people "refresh" worn or pitted bores by honing them out to a larger diameter. That's OK up to a point, but does weaken the barrel even if done right. If done wrong, it can make them dangerous. Chamber length should also be checked, since original chambers were shorter than our standards and produce higher pressure when you use modern, longer shells. And re-chambering a 12 or 10 for 3" or 3 1/2" shells is also dangerous.

I'm sure other members more knowledgeable than I will add more details. One other good place to get info is www.doublegunshop.com/BBS, a site dedicated to doubles with several REAL Remington experts as members.

I have an antique (1893) 10-guage '89 that I love, and occasionally shoot. It was altered to a "ball and shot" gun long ago: tiny rifle sights on the rib, no choke in the right barrel, and "Not for Ball" marked on the left barrel flat. Actually quite accurate with 10 guage roundballs up to about 40 yards; "minute of whitetail" up to about 70.

Getting into old doubles is a slippery slope--hope you enjoy sledding!

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Last edited by Mesa; 01/07/17.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
That's the kind of info I'm looking for. 12ga and I'll double check on the barrels. I know nothing about them.
Thanks

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Most '89 12 guages have 2 5/8" chambers and are best used with 2 1/2 shells, which are manufactured by a couple of US companies. DON'T use any steel shot in this gun.

My 10 guage '89 was rechambers in antiquity (around 1903--it was my great grandfather's) for the 2 7/8" 10 guage "Old Magnum" and is marked "Magnum" on the barrel flats (the "New Magnum" 10 is our current 3 1/2" 10 guage).

I have shot it with smokeless "Old Magnum" shells and lead shot, but don't do it any more, even though it has "Armory Steel" barrels--fluid steel. Only the lowest grade of '89 had fluid steel barrels; the higher grades had twist or Damascus barrels made, I think, in Belgium, as did many other high grade American doubles of the late 19th century (Damascus was the classy barrel material until smokeless powder took hold).

Since yours has Damascus barrels, check it for a "2" grade stamping. Some '89s have a "grade" or quality of finish stamped on the barrel flats or the water table, 1 to 5. 1 is the plain finished model, or "Field Grade." Higher grades than 2 are scarce; Remingtons were regarded as "working guns"!

Last edited by Mesa; 01/07/17.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 33 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,631
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.