Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
How much more scent free are they than leather/nylon boots? A good many are also neoprene with rubber bottoms. Is neoprene ok? I feel like the neoprene stinks worse than any other material they would use. Most of the time I walk about 800 yards one way in to a stand. I feel like my feet would be swimming at that point. What has been your experiences with them?

BP-B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I wear Lacrosse rubber and neoprene boots. I walk about a half mile or more one way. I don't think that it helps a whole lot with scent. I wear them because they're waterproof.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't know about those LaCrosse. Had a pair I bought and paid good money for when I still lived in Alabama. Finished wearing them out here in NC. Doubt they lasted more than 18 maybe 19 years.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used Lacrosse for years (same pair) but went with Muck boots this year, as they are much easier to get on and off. During bow season, I spray them down with no scent spray when walking in and had no issues with deer smelling me. Of course this year was so dry I am not sure that is a good test. Will know for sure next year. Logic says they have to leave less scent then leather. YMMV

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for LaCrosse, mostly due to their 18" height. Green rubber with bob bottoms are my idea of great boots. Like the rubber versions as the neoprenes seem to shred pretty quickly. Sadly, don't think their quality improved when they moved production to China.

Last edited by fishdog52; 01/08/17.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shootem
I don't know about those LaCrosse. Had a pair I bought and paid good money for when I still lived in Alabama. Finished wearing them out here in NC. Doubt they lasted more than 18 maybe 19 years.
have

I have several years on Lacrosse (Alpha Burley ?)boots.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We wear them for moisture.

Other than that we walk a route where the deer almost never travel... stands placed strategically.

When bowhunting we'd wear rubber boots but I often washed them in baking soda and left em in cedar trees during the day with our other clothing.

They are not scent free. Every last time the dog got loose at home while I was hunting, he'd follow the scent right to me. Those were a lab and a beagle.

Currently with the deer trailing cur, doesn't matter WHAT boots I wear the ONLY way I can go hunt without him dragging the wife along on a leash when they walk, and him not following or trying to follow me is if I do a weird looping route where he doesn't all of a sudden pick up on me leaving the road or trail... So a lot of the time I just take him with me to sit in the woods. He is very good about staying pretty still and his dang eyes spotting deer are better than mine... but I digress.

Rubber we wear extra tuffs, but have not had any of the chinese ones, ours are older...

Used to wear La crosse quite often. But then they would dry rot in our heat so quick we just wore whatever Walmart had after that.... 75 bucks for a boot that was worn 50 times a year and rotted in 2... nope.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 13" Servus Northerner insulated pac-boots have treated me well. They cost around $100, but they wear pretty well and are both warm and comfortable.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mucks for me. 15yrs on the first pair. I ripped the toe and thought it might leak, never did. I debated on the LaCrosse Burlys myself but stayed with the Mucks because they are sooooo comfortable. I think comfort is more important than the "rubber or neoprene" debate. I tried a couple of other off brand boots BPS and Cabelas thinking I'd save some money and they'd be just as comfortable. They were not! JMO. Good luck

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a pair of Muck Wetlands that are probably 12 years old. Great boots but they are a tad slippery on slick surfaces. I need to find replacements that have better much better traction.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but stayed with the Mucks because they are sooooo comfortable.

I had a pair of mucks and hated the damn things. They stretched so much that on rough ground, my feet would slide forward and the ends of my toes would get sore. I have worn LaCrosse ever since they quit making RedBall boots, long ago. The size changed slightly when they moved to China or wherever. Can't put my jeans inside of the tops now like I use to. Old boots I can, so it is not me, but the boots. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes rubber and neoprene boots, no leather boots for 17 years, shot a few deer over that time. Even rubber snake boots.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hunted with a guy in Wyoming this year who wears Muck boots. Says if they fit you, they're the best. He has had his for several years and wears them for all hunting, rain or shine.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Some boots fit better than others the same as some rifles like certain ammo. Best to try them for yourself than buy them and never try them on. I wore cowboy boots years ago but I haven't found a pair that's comfortable on my feet in 20 years, no matter how good the reviews are.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lacrosse Burly have been great for me. had these for about 15 years, only use them for hunting, only put them on when I get out of the truck and walk about a mile to my stand. I've never had deer spook because they smelled my scent trail where I walked.

Use them rain or shine, they are starting to get some cracks, I'll probably get another pair of Lacrosse Burly

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
jmho
the issue with leather is the various
treatments folks use as much as anything.

i never wear boots i'll hunt with to do anything
else. when i get back from the field, they come
off right there. no filling fuel tanks, no campfires,
no cooking, etc.

Last edited by Ranger99; 01/08/17.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The LaCrosse Burly as in the photo above are not what they used to be. I bought a new pair a month or 2 ago and only wore them twice before a small tig went through the side of one them right above where the tread is welded on. I could not believe it. I hunted in a older pair for years and never gave a second thought to where I was stepping and never punched a hole in a boot.

I don't understand why they would make a boot that is so easy to puncture. I don't care if it's a little heavier or if it costs a little more, I need a durable waterproof boot. I'm going to try a pair of the Kamik Bushmans. They are made in the USA and get good reviews.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Similar practice to yours and the previous poster. I've been asked why I spray scent killer on rubber boots......

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by shootem

I don't use rubber boots anymore. I like the Muck type. Much easier to get on and off, and more comfortable to me.

That said. I have a pair of LaCrosse, Burleys I think, that I bought in 1999. I used them for 20-40 hours a week for work and for turkey hunting. They're 800gr insulated. After all the hours and miles they still don't leak.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it can smell the boots, it can smell you. Play the wind and don't worry about the boots.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
167 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.