Print Thread
Hop To
#11720412 01/08/17
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I have a couple of knives that I need some help with. Years ago I had at work who told me that he was building knives and was looking for business. I had some nice ironwood that I offered up and asked him to build me a couple of drop point general hunting-skinning knives. What I got back looked OK at a distance but the finished product is not something that I would be proud of. The contour of the grips has numerous 'flats' instead of being smooth and ripple free. There are a few grinding marks still visible and I had asked for a brushed finish on the steel and not a high-buff 'gloss'.

I am not a knife collector but being a stock smith for over forty years I do have a great appreciation for the metallurgy knowledge, art and precision it takes to turn out the wonderful knives I've seen. So I do not want to insult anyone with my request: Is there any one out there who could take these knives and finish them properly? I realize that you have to live with what I send and that they are not the materials or initial quality of build that you would do yourself, I just want to have something useful with better esthetics than they have now.

I would appreciate PM's with advice or cost proposal for what I am asking. Thanks and happy new year to all.

Respectfully,

P-Man

Attached Images
IMG_knives (120x120).jpg (88.17 KB, 106 downloads)

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you would like, i could put you in touch with an excellent blacksmith and knife maker. I have a few of his works.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
P-Man
Are you looking to have the handles worked on also, or being a stock smith are you going to do that???
A pic would help.
I would suggest possibly touch up the blade on belt sander, then bead blast, and then hit it with the scotch brite belt.
Should then have a light matte finish.
P.M. if I can help.
http://s114.photobucket.com/user/tolt29/library/?sort=3&page=1
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
MRK, I should have mentioned that there is a photo in the original post. I was looking for someone to finish the handles and blades - the complete knife. I do not have a small belt sander - I do plan on getting a Ken Onion Work Sharp sys but wanted to get feedback on that product first, but that's a whole other discussion in itself.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sorry, I overlooked the pic posted. I only get a pic the size of a postage stamp when I click on it, but get the idea.

If you want me to do the work, send a pm to me please.
If you have a not to exceed cost, it would be a good place to start.

As far as the Work Sharp not sure what you expect to get from it, but I would not expect to do much knife work other than sharpening.
Be sure you want/need the extra bells and whistle on the Onion model. The basic model is all most need.
The difference is the Onion has variable speed, discrete angle adjustment, a roller rest for the blade and a 3/4" belt vs a 1/2". The wider belt is the only major advantage in my estimate. Yes, I use both models and part time make belts for them.
Thanks
Tim

w

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd say just move on, and buy something better, than try to have these reworked.

Sam......

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
I have a couple of knives that I need some help with. Years ago I had at work who told me that he was building knives and was looking for business. I had some nice ironwood that I offered up and asked him to build me a couple of drop point general hunting-skinning knives. What I got back looked OK at a distance but the finished product is not something that I would be proud of. The contour of the grips has numerous 'flats' instead of being smooth and ripple free. There are a few grinding marks still visible and I had asked for a brushed finish on the steel and not a high-buff 'gloss'.

I am not a knife collector but being a stock smith for over forty years I do have a great appreciation for the metallurgy knowledge, art and precision it takes to turn out the wonderful knives I've seen. So I do not want to insult anyone with my request: Is there any one out there who could take these knives and finish them properly? I realize that you have to live with what I send and that they are not the materials or initial quality of build that you would do yourself, I just want to have something useful with better esthetics than they have now.

I would appreciate PM's with advice or cost proposal for what I am asking. Thanks and happy new year to all.

Respectfully,

P-Man

There was a guy named Peagler in Moncks Corner making knives 25 yrs ago, i bought 2 . Finish was not as good as my Herron but very serviceable for a hunting knife, as I don't use it at all. Just a thought, don't know where you are in SC. Since you are a wood guy do you have a pantograph?

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

112 members (6mmCreedmoor, 35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 15 invisible), 992 guests, and 762 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.