Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
The recent run of cold days kept me in the shop mostly and my mind got to wondering.....if you only had one more BG hunt to do before you pass on and it had to be a DIY dealo what hunt would that be and what rifle would you use?

For me as much as I love hunting deer at home here in Mn. I'd pick a trip to our cabin in Montana to hunt deer/elk with my 3 kids and a bunch of friends, and the rifle would be a pre 64 M70 of some sort....
and you?

Nowadays, I treat every hunt as if it might be my last! Two days ago, it was with my youngest son, who had a cow elk permit. He was successful, with a little (maybe a lot) of help from ol' Dad.

If my next DIY big game hunt turns out to be my last, it will probably be a pronghorn hunt in Eastern Colorado, with my .257 Wby Mk. V.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
At my age, maybe I've had my last but I'm hoping to be on Geezer Ridge again this fall. Hopefully I can call a 70" bull in close. Might even shoot him!

Having some desire to go back to a receiver sight for moose hunting.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Not sure, but the rifle would be either my .25-06 or most likely my old custom .300.

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If I didn't "get to" die before I succeed, I'd pick t-rex with a BB gun. smile

I think, more seriously, I'd try one of my bucket list items: Oregon Cascade Range bull elk. It'd be with a handgun, not a rifle. Ruger Bisley .454, probably Speer 300 grain soft points downloaded to about 1450 fps.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Big buck with a bow, I have killed quite a few small bucks and does. I would like to get a bigun with a compound.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it was just me, I'd do my best to talk Pat into guiding one last time and have him take me on a combo muley/elk hunt in MT.

If it were me and my boys, I'd ask Pat to take the three of us and I'd watch my boys!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would have to be guided as per the laws, but if I was told there was only time enough for one more hunt for me.....

The Eastern Cape of South Africa would see me one last time

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't hunt big game any longer, just chase upland birds. But, if it were to happen, I'd take my Sako Finnbear in 270 and head for the Flat Tops. Yep, that is where I'd go.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't have as much work wide hunting experience as some.
But I would want to be with my kids in a drop camp somewhere in hells canyon area. Up close and personal with elk buggling and fighting waiting for the one.
That would be

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Of course I would be really old if it was my last hunt.

So, if I had some young relatives willing and enthusiastic enough to go with me, (probably two nephews) it would be the Gila Wilderness area in southwestern New Mexico for elk. Maybe rent some riding horses and pack mules to take the camping equipment and supplies in and out.

I think this could be a realistic goal for an aging hunter. It is far enough south to not be real cold at 6,000 feet in October.

I would use my Tikka 30-06 with 165 TTSX.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Something with my grandkids if I'm lucky.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me it's more about who I'm with than what happens on the hunt. I got my first deer when I was 21. It ended up being the last time I hunted with my dad. He died the following spring.

My bucket list last hunt would be at our camp in Pennsylvania with my son Eric. Some folks dream big. Some of us just dream. Eric's my only son, and the only one I care to hunt with much these days. He hasn't notched a tag yet, and I'd sure like to be there when he does. If he could do it from Dad's spot high on the mountain above camp, that would make my hunting days complete and successful. Hallowed ground up there. I can see why Dad liked this spot so much. Now it's time to pass that experience off to my son.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hope I can amass enough points to draw a Wyoming moose tag. It would be DIY and I would use a bow. I would use my 700 Ti .308 if I went through bow season without success.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If it were my last, then it wouldn't be much of a hunt, just get out and see nature. No need in killing at that point.

Not sure where, would love it to be an outdoors event with my wife though.

Sure seems like winter doldrums have set in.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Headwaters of the Omar River for caribou and cinnamon phase black bear. My Remington Mountain Rifle in .30-06.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My last hunt will be here on the ranch in S.Texas, I am sure of that, don't know what I will be hunting ?

Maybe coyotes, bobcat, maybe pigs, I have killed all the big game I ever want kill, and all the plains game,I wanted to hunt, don't care if I ever kill another deer or elk or bear.

But on the other hand I would really like to go cottontail, hunting again up where I was raised in N.W. Colorado.

I Quail hunted all week last week,wore my old ass plum out at 80 yrs old I can't walk as good as could 50 years ago, but I really enjoy watching my dogs work, and Quail, are about the only bird I can carry a pocket full of all morning, and still hunt.

I was born a hunter and will die a hunter. Rio7

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A pheasant hunt in the Dakota's with my 1961 Browning Auto 5, 12Ga. If only I could resurrect my German Shorthair to go with me.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
My last big game hunt would be to the extreme NE part of Saskatchewan. After a long drive to Points North landing, we'd take a single otter float plane to a river system that I know of, with my two sons and maybe another like minded person. A couple canoes and a wall tent, and wood heater, Last week of September.
I'd take my Krieghoff drilling, 16x16/7x57R and an ugly but reliable Ruger canoe paddle stainless M77 in 30-06. We'd hunt moose by calling, black bear by glassing & stalking the berry patches, and cast for lake trout and huge pike and flyfish for grayling in the mid - day periods. For variety we'd take the drilling and hunt spruce grouse and ptarmigan, and maybe pot a few ducks.
I figure a week of that would be a good way to put a grand finale on a hunting career. But I actually plan to do it a couple of times before the end.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Mine would be a return to just outside Toad River BC for goat and elk, maybe mountain caribou if the stars align, which were close in 2008.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Damn. You really gave that some thought. I want to come with. 😀

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.