Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Any one have any knowledge or experience running an AR with the 223 AI round? Thinking of heading in that direction.

ARIC

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Sorry no. It looks like pretty minimal gain with less body taper (reliable in & out).

How about this, a 223 based on 6.8 round:

http://68forums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-38770.html

Ha, easy to say.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My cousin has chambered 223WSSM and 22DTI, trying to get an automatic 22-250 but found both of those either troublesome or not capable of his expectations.

He now has 4 or 5 223AI's with barrels from 20-24" and loves them. He's not quite at his 22-250 goal but the coyotes don't know it.

I had a Kimber Montana chambered to 223AI and love it. Those who say they don't feed well or they don't gain much haven't messed with one. I'm getting 3570 fps with a 55 grain NBT in my 22" barrel and it feeds fine.

Even if speed isn't your goal, no case trimming is worth the chambering alone. I have an extra upper and a few parts laying around and might wind up building me too if the bat cave gets back to work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
in a word NO there pretty much isn't a way to do a 223 AI in an Ar 15. The reason is when an ackley chamber is cut and if its done correctly they actually tighten the headspace .004" over a standard 223 round. this is called a crush fit, and its a resistance you should feel as you close the bolt on a piece of brass in an ackley chamber. granted many gunsmiths don't even know they are supposed to do it and the reasons why.

the problem with not shortening the headspace below that of the standard round when you go to fireform the brass the case initially expands sticking to the chamber walls instead of the brass just flowing forward it flows back stretching the case where you DO NOT want it stretched. this can lead to case head separations. I have a 280 ackley that I am just getting around to getting setup after a new barrel. apparently there is a difference between the headspace on hornady 280 brass and nosler. the hornady is shorter, I tried forming a case with creme of wheat and found I had a slight protruding primer. This told me right away I had too much headspace for that brass.

that is the long version, if you could somehow by brass that was preformed and the chamber cut just to it then you could run a 223 ai in an ar 15, but a crush fit on the brass aint going to work in an AR for obvious reason. if you are looking for more umph in an ar 15, I would recommnd the 22x6.8 or 6x6.8 black hole makes barrels already for them. I would do it myself but I lose too much brass and 6.8 brass isn't that cheap. one day I hope they standardize with plug and play parts a high compacity ar 15 cartridge. something along the lines of the 6.5 br case in compacity.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I looked a few years ago at a .223AI Upper a guy hap built for competition. IIRC it was a single loader. COAL and Pressure would not make the .223AI advantagous in an AR platform.

IC B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
CC, again you don't have a clue.

The AR fire forms AI brass just fine and out of the thousands of rounds cuz has shot, he's never had a case separate. NEVER.

The 22DTI is a 22-6.8 and the AI beats it velocity wise if you want to load the brass again. Ask Mike and see what his max loads are.

Again those who say it don't work are the ones that have never tried it.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I second the 6X6.8

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by TWR
My cousin has chambered 223WSSM and 22DTI, trying to get an automatic 22-250 but found both of those either troublesome or not capable of his expectations.

He now has 4 or 5 223AI's with barrels from 20-24" and loves them. He's not quite at his 22-250 goal but the coyotes don't know it.

I had a Kimber Montana chambered to 223AI and love it. Those who say they don't feed well or they don't gain much haven't messed with one. I'm getting 3570 fps with a 55 grain NBT in my 22" barrel and it feeds fine.

Even if speed isn't your goal, no case trimming is worth the chambering alone. I have an extra upper and a few parts laying around and might wind up building me too if the bat cave gets back to work.

Hey TRW if your cousin was wanting a. 22-250 in an AR he should just go to a 204R in an AR the ballistics are in the same ballpark.

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
My apologies for not taking my question a but further. A local PRS style competition has adjusted it's monthly match to having every 3rd match based on the 223 case; standard or AI'd. I cannot use any other case chambering.

Thank you

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh so I don't have a clue? I just explained something in detail that escapes many gunsmiths and why it needs to be that way. I don't care what others do. Go do your own home work, get ackleys book. This stuff is out there. Call around a good resource is Greg tannell one of the most knowledgeable gunsmiths I can think of who makes tools and equipment for other gunsmiths . You just made yourself look like an ass hat. I love ackley's but its not really feasible in an ar 15.

Twr I got you on this one we can keeep taking it further if you want if you want to go full azz hat

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

204 or 20 Practical.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If CC's fingers are typing, he's likely to be wrong. But anyone who's been paying attention knows that.

TWR has seen it work. Multiple times. But CC figures it maybe probably won't.

Originally Posted by TWR
My cousin....now has 4 or 5 223AI's with barrels from 20-24" and loves them.

Those who say they don't feed well or they don't gain much haven't messed with one.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So blue your ready to go full azz hat too? Why are you even commenting?it's clear you don't even have the beginnings of a clue about the ackley crush fit. Google it.

Twr notice how it's a cousin or friend this or that. How many ackley chambered guns have you owned? Why are you even in a thread where you haven't even messed with ackley cases, same with you bluedart. You just parrot misinformation you have "heard" from cousins and friends. This is the worst thing about the internet people commenting on [bleep] they don't even know first hand. Then when someone does come with useful information you azz hat pile on them.

I don't have time right now to prove my point, but I will if you want to go full on azz hat

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well first off, Cuz has had a 204 in an AR-15, also a 23WSSM, 22DTI, 17 REM, 223AI's, a 25WSSM and a few more I'm probably forgetting.

I lose a lot of brass so I haven't ventured beyond the standard case.

CC, please show me a post where I have never used or owned an Ackley round. Right now I've got a 223 AI in a Kimber Montana and a 22-250 AI in a Kimber Montana. I have had a 243 AI that I had 2 barrels done on.All by Dave at the bat cave. Cuz bought that one from me so it's still around. Cuz and I grew up as brothers and we've hunted together all our lives. Still do... We've leased land together for over 30 years and set up our 800 yard steel range on his place. It's not like he's a friend of a friend's cousins brother in laws sisters friend.

Here's one that will blow your mind, the first one done was done by Danny Cheatum at LazyD gunsmithing on a factory Bushmaster Varminter. He removed the barrel extension and set the barrel back. Reinstalled the barrel extension, chambered for 23AI and it's now fire forming brass for all his others by his son. He loves to blast away.

The round head spaces of the beginning of the shoulder which is 1.5532" shorter from the vanilla round of 1.1.5571" so that's why you can still shoot factory rounds through it.

I've seen and shot his AR's in 223AI too many times to believe you have a clue. Of course I've also seen you proven wrong on every other theory you've had.

Get out and try something before you say it won't work.

Last edited by TWR; 01/09/17. Reason: added figures
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An AR chambered .223AI would be fun for forming rounds.

The crush fit is only .004" right? Don't think it would be even the slightest of an issue.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For the record, i have run thousands of rounds thru an AR15 chambered in the AI configuration. Not once have i had a mis-feed or failure to feed.
Did i mention this was done in competition, where timed fire for X# or rounds go down range in so many seconds. These timed fires also require a magazine change.

TSK, TSK for you Nay Sayers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the AR Platform the 5.56 will do all you need for coyote real world hunting and calling. Ack not worth the trouble

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll just say I"ve seen more than a few AIs, in ARs and they have been accurate and reliable.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll just say that if CC and I ever agree on something, I'll need to check my notes to see where I made the mistake... smile

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
So blue your ready to go full azz hat too? Why are you even commenting?it's clear you don't even have the beginnings of a clue about the ackley crush fit. Google it.

Twr notice how it's a cousin or friend this or that. How many ackley chambered guns have you owned? Why are you even in a thread where you haven't even messed with ackley cases, same with you bluedart. You just parrot misinformation you have "heard" from cousins and friends. This is the worst thing about the internet people commenting on [bleep] they don't even know first hand. Then when someone does come with useful information you azz hat pile on them.

I don't have time right now to prove my point, but I will if you want to go full on azz hat

The others are right, once again you are the clueless one, basing your whole point on an assumption - that a crush fit of any kind can't work in an AR. If you actually had the hands on experience to know what you're talking about, you'd know this is wrong.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
405 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 41 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.