Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
340boy Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looking for rings and bases for a new Sako M85. I've read mixed reviews about their Optilok system and would like to get some educated opinions on same and also if anyone else makes rings and bases for the M85 and how they perform?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I absolutely say that Optilocks are the best option for Sako rifles. 24 Hour is the only website where I have seen them trashed and for no good reason. THey are dead reliable and leave no marks and if the charts are read correctly they provide perfect fit on a Sako rifle.

340boy Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oldelk,
Thank you! Funny you would mention that-where I read the negative things about the Optilok *was* here on the
Fire.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have no problem with Optilocks except that the 2 piece are way too heavy for what is sold as a lightweight gun. Why would I want to use rings and bases as heavy as some scopes on a light weight rifle?

The Optilock ringmount is fine but will only accommodate about a 42mm objective.

Leupold makes even lighter ringmounts but they need to be at least half way down the dovetail to grip so scope tube length VS eye relief could be a problem with some action lengths and some scopes.

Talley makes bases and rings.

Near MFG makes a picatinny rail

Some others I can't think of right now too.

340boy Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I have no problem with Optilocks except that the 2 piece are way too heavy for what is sold as a lightweight gun. Why would I want to use rings and bases as heavy as some scopes on a light weight rifle?

The Optilock ringmount is fine but will only accommodate about a 42mm objective.

Leupold makes even lighter ringmounts but they need to be at least half way down the dovetail to grip so scope tube length VS eye relief could be a problem with some action lengths and some scopes.

Talley makes bases and rings.

Near MFG makes a picatinny rail

Some others I can't think of right now too.
Good info! Thank you.

Only a 42mm objective? Hmmm, that could be an issue as I am thinking of a 4-12X50 for this rifle.;

James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always used the Sako ring mounts on my Sakos and love them. They have different heights so you will be able to get them to work with your 50mm scope.

I tried the Near rail and it was a no go for me....I had ejection issues with my 25-06. Would hit the rail about half the time and drop back into the action. Never an issue with the Optiloks.

Rob
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use the optilocks on mine with a 50 mm scope, no trouble. I don't remember the height but they have a chart on the website

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Are you guys talking about different heights with the Optilock Ringmount? The Ringmount is one piece. I've never seen them in different heights but Sako may be offering some now as I haven't checked in a couple years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Are you guys talking about different heights with the Optilock Ringmount? The Ringmount is one piece. I've never seen them in different heights but Sako may be offering some now as I haven't checked in a couple years.

According to their site they have different hieghts. I've only used lows myself...

Rob
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
WIth a 2 piece optilock and xtra low rings you can mount a 4-12x50 Z3 and it will have perfect clearance on the rifle . I mounted a S&B Classic 2.5-10x56 using optilock lows and could have gotten away with xtralow 30mm rings. Fit was about perfect anyway

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 01/09/17.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used the optilocks on 2 Sako 85's and have no complaints. Not sure if I care for the plastic in the rings but it does not seem to affect accuracy IME.

As stated above Near Manufacturing makes a mount for the Sako 85. Richard Nears products are as well made as I have seen. If I was installing on a true long range rig I would go that route.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

340boy Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bob,
I will give Nears a look. Thanks for the help!

Tim

James Elroy Flecker

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by scottishkat
I have used the optilocks on 2 Sako 85's and have no complaints. Not sure if I care for the plastic in the rings but it does not seem to affect accuracy IME.

As stated above Near Manufacturing makes a mount for the Sako 85. Richard Nears products are as well made as I have seen. If I was installing on a true long range rig I would go that route.

Bob

I wish all rings came that way to be quite honest. Near rings and bases are a thing of beauty and should be classified as modern art.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by scottishkat

Bob

I wish all rings came that way to be quite honest. Near rings and bases are a thing of beauty and should be classified as modern art.

Yes,I agree. OP could get into a set for just under $500.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I own 3 SAKO 85 Classics and have Optilocks on all three. You just need to know objective size to get the right ring height.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sako Optilocks are the ticket on a Sako. If they fit, I favor the 1-pc Optilock Ringmounts, if not, I'd still favor the 2-pc Optilocks over aftermarket.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
340boy Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wesheltonj and Gary,
Thanks for the input, fellows!
smile

James Elroy Flecker

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Optilocks are good solid mounts but there is no excuse to have to put those heavy two piece mounts on a light weight rifle. Sako really needs to up their game and design some good light weight mounts.

In general the screws are all a bit soft on Optilocks. The design self tightens the base screw and can sometimes be very hard to loosen without stripping. A good tip for loosening them is to remove the scope first from the rings and then tap the base to the rear of the gun using a hammer and a thin block of wood. All it takes is a light tap and the base screws will then be easy to turn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The above is untrue based on my experience with new Optilocks. Old mounts from years back, but my Sako mounts from recent years use the exact same torx head base mount screws as they use for their action screws. They are rated way higher then the torque specs for there use on the Sako. 57-inch pounds for use as action screws, and 45-inch pounds for use as base mounts. I've removed and replaced one set on one of my rifles well over 30 times, maybe as many as 50 times, the last 6-years, and they are still like new. That particular rifle shoots well and holds torque with the action screws set at 45-inch pounds, same as the Optilocks. I keep a compact Felo torque driver with the rifle to remove scope to use the fixed sights, and remove the stock for travel. I throw it back together at 45, and have not worn out a screw.

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/09/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Good for you Gary. I guess I got a bad batch.Your experience may be different than mine, but that doesn't make either experience untrue,unless one of us is lying.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 3,072 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,207
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.