-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some of the old screws were reported soft, way back, but the later screws are rated over 100-in pounds. In addition, The Optilocks use a locator pin stop. Never had the Optilocks torqued at 45, push past the pin stop from recoil.

Not saying you are being untruthful with past experience. Just saying this is untrue with the later stuff.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I made below post years back when you and other guys were complaining about the old metric Allen screws.

Originally Posted by GaryVA
This may be of help. I have the latest/current Optilocks and they do not use these older metric allen screws which you guys hate. My latest Optilocks use Torx T10s for the ring caps and Torx T25s for the ring to base and mounting clamp screws. The T10 cap screws are spec'd for 15in-lbs and the T25 base and clamp screws are spec'd for 45in-lbs. The Torx heads on these base screws are the same as the T25 front and rear action screws which Sako is torquing into the receiver at a spec of 55 to 57in-lbs. That's 12in-lbs higher than needed for the Optilock mounting base screws. I've torqued, removed and retorqued the cap screws three different times, I've done this with the base clamp screws about a dozen times, and I've done this with the action screws about a half dozen times. So far, they are all in perfect shape without a mark or blemish. The torx bit bites hard and I cannot see how anyone could damage these screws without using a bad bit and/or torquing way, way over spec.

I'd think at some point you should be able to order these torx screws as replacements over the older metric allen screws which are disliked. Brownell's carries the Optilocks, so they may have the Optilock small parts. If they do and you can get Military, LEO, or Dealer pricing, replacements would be inexpensive.

Best smile

A Torx T25 is normally spec'd to handle a max torque of around 140in-lb, with a T10 maxing out at around 30in-lb. Based on my latest Optilocks, I think a person need be ham fisted while grossly overtorquing the screws to cause damage. I'm using my T25s to remove and replace the scope and mounts to address the iron sights. I plan on retorquing these clamp screws scores of times and will let you guys know if I manage to wear them out. I've already retorqued the smaller T10 cap screws several times and they remain pristine, so I'd imagine they'd last a lifetime with proper care.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So yes, untrue.

- Clint Eastwood
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Good for you Gary. I guess I got a bad batch.Your experience may be different than mine, but that doesn't make either experience untrue,unless one of us is lying.

The old allen screws were soft but the use of a stainless allen wrench that was provided made matters worse. Using a carbon steel allen wrench solved all the issues with the old allen screws.

The new hex screws are very very good and never had one single issue with them.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm a sako nut, and over time I've moved from the standard 2 piece, to the ring mounts.

They are plenty strong, and reduce weight and I think they look better as well.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I use Talley bases & Screw Lock Q.D. rings. They are the absolute toughest & lightweight mounting system. They also return to zero perfectly with every detachment.

I did not like the added weight of the Optilocks.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
As I have said I own 3 SAKO Classics, all 3 with Optilocks. I don't know which SAKO 85 you bought. Assuming its the Classic or above, you drop $2k on a gun, why would you even think of using Aftermarket rings and bases. Stick with the the Optilock, and don't listen to the Talley fanboys. It not like you are mounting a Zeiss scope with rail and need the Zeiss mount.

I would also suggest that you check out Sakocollectors.com.

340boy Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
As I have said I own 3 SAKO Classics, all 3 with Optilocks. I don't know which SAKO 85 you bought. Assuming its the Classic or above, you drop $2k on a gun, why would you even think of using Aftermarket rings and bases. Stick with the the Optilock, and don't listen to the Talley fanboys. It not like you are mounting a Zeiss scope with rail and need the Zeiss mount.

I bought a Finnlight in 300 Win Mag. Scope will (probably) be a Swaro 4-12X50mm. This is my first Sako, so all the input on rings and bases is MUCH appreciated. smile

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by harv3589
I've always used the Sako ring mounts on my Sakos and love them. They have different heights so you will be able to get them to work with your 50mm scope.

As far as I know the much lighter 1 piece Sako Optilock Ringmounts still only come in one height. The heavy 2 piece ring and base Optilocks come in different heights.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 340boy

I bought a Finnlight in 300 Win Mag. Scope will (probably) be a Swaro 4-12X50mm. This is my first Sako, so all the input on rings and bases is MUCH appreciated. smile

Make sure you get the long bases and xtra low rings. Perfect fit

S1700957 = blued S170R957=Stainless Steel

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have 42mm scopes and use the low. That's what Euro-Optics recommended.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

What kind of scope and action length of rifle? Does not sound even remotely correct.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the low ringmounts for my Leupold 6x42. Lots of room

Rob
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

What kind of scope and action length of rifle? Does not sound even remotely correct.

308 Classic short action w/ Leica ER 3.5-14x42 scope
300 Classic long action w/ Leica ER 2.5-10x42 scope
375 Classic long action w/ Leica ER 2.5-10x42 scope

Last edited by wesheltonj; 01/11/17.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

308 Classic short action w/ Leica ER 3.5-14x42 scope
300 Classic long action w/ Leica ER 2.5-10x42 scope
375 Classic long action w/ Leica ER 2.5-10x42 scope

Xtra low optilocks will work perfectly. I have a 2-10x56 S&B Classic and it fits with lows

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

There would be zero chance of mounting talleys on a sako absolutely zero. They just do not have the quality

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by zeissman

As far as I know the much lighter 1 piece Sako Optilock Ringmounts still only come in one height. The heavy 2 piece ring and base Optilocks come in different heights.

[Linked Image]

I'm using these, the Sako 1-pc Optilock Ringmounts. Back when I first got these, they only came in the 3-sizes listed on the package. They are lower than the x-tra low 2-pc Optilocks, and are cleaner with less bulk. They require a Torx key to loosen, but Sako published that they are designed to be removed and replaced without loss of zero. They have a solid fit with a positive stop. I much prefer these over the 2-pc, but would go 2-pc if 1-pc did not fit.

Thought they later came in medium and stainless.

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone ever tried the Burris extreme tactical picatinny bases for the sako dovetails?

Rob
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by harv3589
I use the low ringmounts for my Leupold 6x42. Lots of room

Are you using the Optilock Ringmounts or the Optilock rings in low with the Optilock bases? Two completely different mounting systems?

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
[Linked Image]

I'm using these, the Sako 1-pc Optilock Ringmounts. Back when I first got these, they only came in the 3-sizes listed on the package. They are lower than the x-tra low 2-pc Optilocks, and are cleaner with less bulk. They require a Torx key to loosen, but Sako published that they are designed to be removed and replaced without loss of zero. They have a solid fit with a positive stop. I much prefer these over the 2-pc, but would go 2-pc if 1-pc did not fit.

Thought they later came in medium and stainless.

The 1-piece Optilock Ringmount is available in 1" and 30mm blued and stainless. It is as far as I know still only available in the one height which is okay for up to 42mm with a little to spare.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 69 invisible), 3,278 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.