Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by ironbender
Mac-
Is that a bottle opener on the tail of that knife?

Cold Steel Pocket Bushman... That is part of the locking mechanism. One has to pull on the cord to unlock the knife to close it. The tail is there for one handed closing allowing one to catch the tail on a pocket to unlock the knife...

Bob

Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by tikkanut

44 Special....

cast....jacketed......shot capsules....

[Linked Image]

I had on of these in 45 Colt, wouldn't mind having another one.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The G30S would be a good candidate.

[Linked Image]

It's roughly the size of a G19. In fact may G19 holsters will work for it.

It is lightweight with good capacity. With a factory 10 rounder in the gun and a G21 13 round mag as a reload, you should have more than enough ammo to solve most problems.
Plus you really don't need to worry about it getting wet, muddy dusty, whatever. Not much will make them choke.

I got mine for those times when I wanted to minimize the weight I was carrying, like when packing out hind quarters in wolf/bear, big cat country.

It has proven to be a very accurate, great little gun. In fact it is quickly becoming one of my favorite .45s.

Oh yeah, Since you reload, you could run some heavy for caliber cast flat points like some 250s. That should be more than adequate for most critters you are likely to run into.

[Linked Image]

Corbon makes a 165grhp with a velocity of 1250fps. Works well in the model 30

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RJM
Mac-
Is that a bottle opener on the tail of that knife?

Cold Steel Pocket Bushman... That is part of the locking mechanism. One has to pull on the cord to unlock the knife to close it. The tail is there for one handed closing allowing one to catch the tail on a pocket to unlock the knife...

Bob

Thanks.

U R welcome...

When I visited Mackay in 2014 that was the only knife I brought with me. It is the toughest folder I have ever used. He saw it, liked it and that is how he ended up with one... Can usually be found for around $30.00...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atse
I carry the Taurus poly protector. Its a 5 shot revolver in 357. It has a fiber optic front sight. It weighs just under 6 oz loaded. I live and hunt with grizzlys. Carry it always. Never know its there. Custom cross draw belt holster.

This one here?

http://www.taurususa.com/product-de...r&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=PR2

Do you mean just under 26 oz loaded?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I feel better bumming around with a revolver. One little walk that turned into a swim has me carrying my G19, in kydex. Have even cut wood carrying the thing. Take it down, blast of air, quick wipe off, done.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glock 43 has been riding a lot recently. Been eyeing the Charter arms 4" Target bulldog in .44 special. Got dies, brass and bullets...just waiting on the work bonus to show.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hadn't really considered carrying my G43 in the woods, but if you want a decent level of power in an extremely compact, lightweight package, it makes a lot of sense. S&W Shield would be an excellent, but less expensive, alternative.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Glock 19 became obsolete for me when I got a 43. There have just been a few occassions where I would have liked to had a cheap/stainless .44 special along.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My G19 was not displaced by my G43 as the 19 is easier to shoot and has twice the capacity. However, the 43 keeps me from being lazy about carrying. It is so slim and light, I have no excuse not to be armed. All that aside,my G20 is generally what I carry in the mountains.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I carry a little 2" Rossi 38spc. revolver while in the back country. It's five shot, I load four with bullets and the last with a shot shell for snakes. I'm not in grizzly country, but more concerned with the two legged wackos.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think a 3" SP101 357 mag is pretty handy, just to have something. Cylinder is long enough to carry a 180 HC, or bird shot or whatever. I use a Simply Rugged holster with it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It all depends on my mood. I tote glock 20 sometimes, bisley Blackhawk 45, 4" 629 smith and recently bought a puplic defender judge that I carry a lot. Here in sc in the swamps we have lotsof cottonmouths and other slithering critters. A couple bird shotshells followed by some 45 colts will handle snakes anda boar hog if I happen upon one. My g19 sits on the nightstand and my g43 rides in the truck console. Of them all I feel most confident with the glock 20. Good firepower and with 2 mags you should be able to get yourself out of most situations id think

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
that said id really like to have a g29sf. Probably do everything I ever needed

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have never felt the need to carry in the woods of Colorado unless I am hunting. If I am hunting then the extra weight of a sidearm is a waste of my energy. Carry if it makes you feel safer.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am simply unable to grasp the thought process that says carrying a weapon is unnecessary, even silly....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I will say that twice I've returned to elk carcasses to pack meat and found sizable black bears there, chowing down.

I was glad to have my pistol, but even more glad that I didn't have to use it.

The one time a blackie came in to my cow calling was a little more unnerving, he didn't haul ass like the others.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I am simply unable to grasp the thought process that says carrying a weapon is unnecessary, even silly....

Me too. I carry daily and being in the woods is no different. I'm more worried about the pot growers and the meth cookers in the woods than I am the likely hood of a bear attack.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I often carry a 3 3/4 inch barrel new model Ruger Vaquero in 357 Mag. in a Mernickle cross draw holster. This rig is so comfortable to carry I forget I am wearing it. Or I carry a Glock 20. Just depends upon where I am and what i am doing.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by jds44
Originally Posted by liliysdad

Me too. I carry daily and being in the woods is no different. I'm more worried about the pot growers and the meth cookers in the woods than I am the likely hood of a bear attack.

With the marijuana be legal now in Colorado.More and more grow spots are popping up on public land and the people that are doing the growing are not pillars of society

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.