Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
163dm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
FYI,
If you guys are looking for the TROP safety. It looks like its available again. I didnt realize LAW and David Dunn of Trop Manufacturing had teamed up. Legendary Arms - Trop Safety

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That's awesome. I had just emailed them about these a couple of weeks ago...though I never got a response.

Thanks for sharing the link. I am going to have to buy a couple of these.

163dm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yep I ordered one. It will be interesting to see how difficult it is to install. FYI at the end of the order they contact you for payment. The lady called me 30 minutes later and took my CC info.

Edited:
I might add I stumbled across this by mistake. I was researching LAW rifles and while perusing their website I found the safety under accessories.

Last edited by 163dm; 12/30/16.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I spent most of last week and the weekend traveling so didn't get my order in before they closed on Friday. The gal called me yesterday morning and took my payment info.

Should have two in the mail as we speak. Just got my two buttstocks back from the smith (pad installs) for the same two rifles I plan to install these safeties on so I will just leave them off until I get these in the mail.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
i have one of these also but as an fyi my buddy took his stock safety and ground the front of then cold blued it...it looks pretty good and saved him few dollars

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have contemplated doing that too. I have seen some reports that say once they have removed enough material to clear the brass they are left with an uncovered portion of the travel slot (some worse than others). And my bluing projects have always turned out HIDEOUS. I just cannot seem to figure out how to get a satisfactory blue on my home projects.

So…I decided I would just buy a replacement instead. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never shot a #1 but I've always liked them.
Looking at photos of stock #1's and the Trop.
Is the problem with the stock safety that when the safety is off (in the fire position) the front tang on the safety lever protrudes up into the shell groove preventing the shooter from extracting the casing or inserting a live round into the chamber?
Does the shooter have to manually engage the safety before opening the breach to extract a case?

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Is the problem with the stock safety that when the safety is off (in the fire position) the front tang on the safety lever protrudes up into the shell groove preventing the shooter from extracting the casing or inserting a live round into the chamber?
Does the shooter have to manually engage the safety before opening the breach to extract a case?

Your mostly there.

It does protrude into the loading trough but not enough to inhibit the shooter from removing cases or loading live rounds. The safety only extends up about 1/16" or maybe a RCH more above the lip of the loading trough. You do not have to engage the safety to operate the breach lever, in fact, you have to open the breach (cocking the spring) before you can re-engage the safety anyway.

The problem is that when the safety is in the "Fire" position and you open the breach to eject / extract the spent case, the case will just catch the safety edge and lay in the loading trough, or if the ejector spring tension is high enough, the case may even bounce back into the chamber.

Either of these scenarios reduce the speed of a reload since you have to clear the empty case. Some people don't mind stating that by laying in the trough it allows them to keep up with their brass. For my 1V Swift and other similar varmint or paper punchers I agree with this philosophy.

Others say you just need to practice more and learn to cant the rifle as you eject the case so it bounces to the right and clears the action. Not the most natural thing to learn to do...especially for a lefty. And for my big game rifles I would rather the empty fly clear allowing me to only focus on the reload.

And several others say its no problem at all and you just need to learn to adjust your ejector tension since THEIR rifle's safety never catches a fired case and they never have to clear empties before reloading.

Just depends on what you want to do with your rifle I suppose.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the excellent explanation.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Since my #1s were varminters and not dangerous game rifles, I left the safety alone. It kept me from chasing brass. For serious big game the mod makes a lot of sense. I believe Jon Sundra did an article on that in the '70s.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My two showed up in the mail yesterday afternoon. Paid on Tuesday morning and delivered on Thursday--pretty happy with that.

Started with my 1S Whelen (2016 model). Never done anything like this before but having read a few tutorials in the past, I decided to tackle it anyway. Bit of a learning curve figuring out the best way to handle it as I punched out assorted pins. Had to do a little bit of filing in certain areas but nothing too bad. The steel these are milled from is very soft so a little bit of filing goes a long way. After I finally got my act together and figured out what I was doing it had taken about an hour from when I started to when I had bolted the stock back on and screwed the pad in place.

From there I moved on to my 1980 model 1B .30-06. From the word "go" this one did not go anywhere near the same. There were a few key design differences in the internals that changed the disassembly, maneuvering of parts, and the fitting process on this one. One thing I didn't notice when I punched out the original safety's roll pins is that this model uses a significantly larger pin than my newer model had. I had already fit the new safety to this gun by the time I figured that out. My choices were either wait to buy new pins, drill the pin holes out a little bit to accommodate the old pins, or reinstall the factory safety and use the Trop on one of my other rifles.

I chose to button it back up with the original safety and I'll put the Trop on my 1A Swede which is a rig I use much more anyway.

163dm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
War Eagle,
Thanks, for the update. I received mine this weekend. Maybe next weekend I can take a stab at installing it. May also polish the trigger while I'm in there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

588 members (257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 66 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.