Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Dicks Sporting Goods/Field and Stream store put stainless Tikka T3 Lite's on sale for $449.00 before hunting season.

So I got a .308 for me and for my 12 year old son a .270 win. This will be his rifle from now on and the last one I buy for him.(Or so I think) We have looked at rifles together and he really likes the stainless rifles with the pepper laminate stocks. So I called up Boyds and ordered a stock cut to 12 1/4 inches finished with a 1 inch recoil pad. It fits him like a glove but still not too short for me or for him as he gets taller. Put a Nikon Prostaff with BDC on it for now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The stock added about a pound to the overall weight which will help him with recoil. We tried some Hornady 130 grain SP loads which he shot fine but he preferred the Hornady Lite 120 grain loads and with an approximately 1 inch group at 100 yards on a Monday, we loaded up and went hunting the next day.

My shot at the top, he shot the 3 below after an adjustment.
[Linked Image]

Bob.

GB1

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Part 2.

We left at lunch time and after a 2 1/2 hour drive went straight to our hunting spot.

He decided that since he had killed a very nice 8 point during the youth hunt he would let me kill any buck and he would only shoot a doe. About an hour after we get in the shooting house, (Did I say it was about 78 degrees? I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt it was so hot.) a doe stepped out. He looked at her through the binoculars and said, "Well, I'll go ahead and shoot her." I said let's wait a little while and in a few minutes a basket racked 6 point came out of the woods and started chasing her until they left the field. About 15 minutes before last shooting light the 2 deer came back out. Then at the very last of shooting light, I scanned the tree line with my binoculars and watched 2 shooter bucks come into the field.

I passed the binoculars to him and he handed them back and grabbed his rifle. I said, I thought I was shooting the bucks? And he said, Well, I got this new rifle for Christmas and well, I just changed my mind.

It was getting to the point that I was worried if there was enough light for him to see to shoot. He assured me he could see where to aim and we let the buck feed a little closer to us so he wasn't against the dark wood line but had field all around him. I asked if he could see him and he said yes, but he would let him pick his head up again and before he shot.

Bang, and the deer ran out of the field, we listened and no sooner had the deer left the field and I could hear a crash in the far tree line. We went to where they entered the tree line and found a few drops of blood, and the deer within 20 yards.

Where we found him.
[Linked Image]

Buck weighed 210lbs live weight.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bullet found under the off side skin.
[Linked Image]

Only picture of the buck prior to seeing him that evening.
[Linked Image]

Can't see the entry hole in the pics, but it was tight behind the right shoulder crossing diagonally towards the left rear rib cage. So not a bad week for Harrison.

Bob.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Saaaaright! !

Good looking rifle. The gray laminate has been a fav or mine for a long time. My Ruger 10-22 is SS - gray lam.

That's a great buck PLUS one to be removed from the breeding herd.

Congrats

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congrats!!!!

Nice rifle AND buck.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love stories like this one!! Nice buck for the young man!!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like the stock with the stainless barrel! Good price on that rifle also, remember when they were 650 ish in my area.

Congrats on a successful hunt!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good stuff-cool looking buck. Congrats!

Golden............
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Great way to end the year!! Congrats to the both of you...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
congrats on a fine looking rifle and great buck!

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congrats to you and your son, great looking rifle that will last Jr a lifetime and one heck of a buck.

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks guys, I told him he was done for the year and It's my time now. He killed a really nice buck during the youth hunt with my 7mm-08 loaded with 120 Ballistic Tips. So he has surpassed any season that I've had and any buck that I've killed to date.

8 point with a kicker that makes 9, weighed 265lbs and rough scored 158ish. You can see where the bullet entered at the shoulder. Deer went maybe 10 yards.

[Linked Image]

I told him to expect to get left at home the next few times I go hunting. Season ends on Feb 10 around here, so I still have some time to get it done. I have a new Tikka .308 to break in.

Bob.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most excellent. Congrats to the lad.
Good luck in your quest of both chasing your deer and leaving the youngster at home. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Very cool congrats to both of you.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's a big ole 8...

Great job...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Congrats to you and the young man

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That kid is a stone cold killer! You screwed up and showed him your huntin spots!!!! grin smile

LOL
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Naw, he won't be driving for 4 years yet. He still needs me for transportation. smile

This is his 7th year hunting averaging 2-3 deer per year. He's getting to where he only needs me around to watch for deer and keep the boogey man away when it gets dark. But the shooting part, he's got that down.

Bob.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bob, congratulations to your son for his two fine bucks! Congratulations to you for raising your son in the manner you have.

All I can say about the second buck is that you shore ain't hunting in the area of Alabama that I'm hunting in! WOW! That bruiser is exceptional both in body weight and antler size/mass. Did you get the rack scored?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Great story, and congrats to you and your Son. Where I used to hunt up north, that garage floor would have been filthy with deer ticks! Do you have a tick problem there in Alabama?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

416 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 257_X_50, 37 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.