Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Just got back from my annual elk hunt in New Mexico with varied weather that presented challenges. But that is fairly typical. Our first stalk was to get ahead and above a group of about 25 head. Feeling we had gained enough altitude we spread out along the ridge. I was the highest on the ridge and dropped my pack before peering over the ridge. The snow was compact and crunchy - which didn't help.
As I began to get a view over the ridge, two cows were looking back in my direction. I was using a Ponderosa was cover and rifle rest.
Here is the view I had looking over the ridge.

[Linked Image]

Both cows knew something was "up" and probably heard me in the crunchy snow.
They were dancing around trying to figure out what to do. The cow on the left presented a Texas heart shot as she twisted her view to look back at me. The other faced to the left and was slightly quartering to me. I wasn't going to wait any longer and placed the shot just behind the shoulder of the cow on the right. The range was later measured at 85 yards. At the shot I heard other animals further over the ridge. The cow was hit, stayed in place and toppled over within seconds and began to roll down the grade. Soon after another shot rang out as a partner picked off a cow further down the ridge. He was using a 300WM with 180gr Hornady GMX's. There was considerable bloodshot meat with that mono design. A third hunter did not have a shot as the herd was bunched up and presented no clear shot.
As she was found:

[Linked Image]

Back at the meat shed I was able to recover the bullet. on the off side. Due to the shot angle, the bullet had taken out left lung, penetrated the width of the stomach contents before coming to rest on the off side - under the hide.
My photo tells the story of the expansion results.

[Linked Image]

I used a Tikka T3X in .308Win. using 46gr. of Varget and the 165gr. Accubond.
Here is the view of the bullet entrance - a minimal amount of bruising.

[Linked Image]

With two elk tapped and in the shed we concentrated on the last one. The weather turned windy the next day due to the approaching storm. We had two stalks blown due to swirling winds. If we were residents, we probably would have stayed home because of the variable wind direction. But the clock was ticking on a five day tag.
Near sundown the storm moved in with winds in the 50's and blowing snow. The storm was moving out quickly the next morning as we dug out the truck. By mid morning our glassing showed a small herd out feeding. A plan was made but now snowshoes were needed due to the foot or so of new snow. This proved to be a blessing as the last hunter was able to proceed quietly as he gained altitude. We elected to stay behind to limit the amount of movement and scent. Within an hour a shot rang out and we could see elk running with one remaining on the ground. An available snow machine from our host made for an easy recovery. The cow was taken with a 200gr. Partition from a 325WSM at about 115 yards. Meat damage was minimal with no bullet recovery.

Here is a wide shot showing the scenery and distance hunters.

[Linked Image]

So those are the highlights of our latest elk hunt.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 01/09/17.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice work Joe. Great report as always!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good stuff, congrats.

Unfortunately, us residents only get the same 5 days. ( except archery)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good job Joe, meat in the freezer!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats! Looks like a great hunt.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations. Enjoyed your pictures and story. Nothing like plenty of fresh elk meat in the freezer.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good job. The more I elk hunt, the more fun I find cow hunts.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Congrats on another great hunt BW, I like your method of putting up meat for the winter!
I'd say your bullet worked quite well...Thanks for the write up.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Congrats! Great write-up & photos, thank you.

Ya, I thoroughly enjoyed my hunt for cow elk this year too. And what great meat! Just enjoyed some backstrap steaks last night. Excellent.

Regards, Guy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (14idaho, 35, 280shooter, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 6 invisible), 1,553 guests, and 699 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.